DKCLB Custom Level Ideas

The dream tool of any hardcore DKC player, the DKCLB aims to make editable in unison all elements from the original DKC Trilogy, and allow customization of it all, too! Powered by the Delta Suite.

Re: DKCLB Custom Level Ideas

Postby edevore » April 8th, 2014, 3:51 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Just a quick mini-update, I put seaweed in the whole thing, and that version of the PNG can be downloaded right here.

I don't know if it was intentional but the foreground part is in with the background, if we use that do you have the foreground seaweed so our kongs appear to be swimming behind it (basically what you do is have a foreground layer or sprite of seaweed that matches the same location absolute to the background image of Kremlantis)?

did you mean to have the kongs swim on top or behind the seaweed?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby Dixie Diddy » April 8th, 2014, 9:21 am

That image looks nice
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Phyreburnz » April 8th, 2014, 9:59 am

There are (supposed to be) two layers of seaweed. One is almost all dark seaweed (except for a few lighter green bits that are "attached" on the columns... you can see this in the far left of your image). This layer is meant to go behind the Kongs. The lighter seaweed layer (this one has ALL light seaweed) is intended to go in front of the Kongs. If you don't like it, delete the layer; I have no problems with that.

I got the seaweed from DKC3, so if you want to add more, that's fine, also.

*EDIT* I'm updating it with a new version that is a .tif file so all of the layers will should be preserved. Please let me know if this one doesn't work. I will edit this post another time when my file is uploaded (or put a new post if somebody else comments).

*EDIT SOME MORE* Here is the updated .TIFF version of the level. I've downloaded this myself and it does work.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby edevore » April 8th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:*EDIT SOME MORE* Here is the updated .TIFF version of the level. I've downloaded this myself and it does work.

It's weird I try to open that file in a editor that should be able to edit tif documents and I can see one static bitmap layer and no other layers... (maybe deviantart recompressed it or maybe my software is the blame I dunno... by the filesize uploaded maybe it is my software, what software do you use?) what other formats do you have besides the psd (adobe photoshop document) are you able to export as a layered editable png format?

can you generate a checksum of the image file (just in case its deviantart's fault) so I can see if its not altered by the uploaded version?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby Phyreburnz » April 8th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Maybe this will help you out. This is a folder with each layer separated and saved as a PNG.
Attachments
kremlantis.zip
(616 KiB) Downloaded 1062 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby edevore » April 8th, 2014, 3:01 pm

that's great thankyou
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby Phyreburnz » June 20th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Here is a link to Tire Factory Terror.

Download the image. It is saved as a tiff, so all of the layers should be there. If they aren't, please let me know.

Here is a fake screenshot, as well:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » June 20th, 2014, 5:34 pm

Looking good, Phyre; I can see this being a very fun, challenging and visually unique level. :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » June 21st, 2014, 4:47 am

Absolutely Awesome level! :thumbs:

I can't wait to play that. :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » June 30th, 2014, 10:20 am

I've completed another level in the style of the Konkreto levels in DKC4.

I decided to name it Krazy Kongstruction, but if you have a better name, feel free to use it!
Fake screenshot:

Here is the TIFF file of the level. Please let me know if there's a problem with the files. All the layers should be there.

I did include the background layers. I didn't tile them to keep the file size a little smaller.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » July 2nd, 2014, 3:38 am

Sorry for the double post. I just didn't think that anybody saw my last one. Simion posted right after I did in the delta thread and I think everybody missed this one! :P

I have some more levels to make... so stay tuned...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » July 3rd, 2014, 1:07 pm

Nice level, Phyre! I get a DKL and DKCR vibe from the urban/construction aesthetics, and the moving girders in particular remind me of DKCR's Foggy Fumes.

I like that the player is required to duck to avoid being swept off the platform near the end; this is a concept I think Retro embraced a lot more than Rare, and I'm glad to see more of it. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » July 3rd, 2014, 2:20 pm

Yeah, I never got why Rare even included ducking, really! You never use it! I thought it would be fun to try to incorporate it into some levels... Maybe I'll have to do more of that!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby ArnyTheMutant » July 4th, 2014, 1:40 pm

^If my memory serves, in DKC 2, Diddy needs to duck in Clapper's Cavern to avoid some zingers, but Dixie can avoid them by running.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Qyzbud » July 4th, 2014, 2:36 pm

There are a few points in Clapper's Cavern where ducking is beneficial (to collect items, etc.), and a few where it is necessary* to avoid getting hit. The "beneficial" ducking spots are perhaps easier to jump over with Dixie, but they are mostly pretty easy with Diddy, too, whereas all "necessary" ducking spots must be ducked under* regardless of which Kong's in the lead.
*Unless, of course, you play through the level without Clapper's help... but that's a pretty tricky thing to do. ;)

The fights against Kaptain K.Rool also encourage ducking, but it's not strictly necessary; this is the situation where you're really best off with Dixie (or having excellent Diddy-handling skills), if you wish to avoid ducking. :dixiehappy:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » August 23rd, 2014, 6:44 am

I've finally gotten around to making another level.
Fake screenshot!

Here is a link to the level download. There is another link on my deviantart page with the same level, just so you know. Both are the same file (both TIFF, so all layers included). This file has the top layer turned off, so you can see the level. The top layer is still there, it's just not visible, since it's the "blackout" bit.

So... let me explain. Remember my little lightning bug? Well, I figured it's high time we get a new animal buddy. While it seems that he would function just like lantern Squawks, don't be fooled! His light blinks on and off to create the "Blackout Basement" type thing with the lights.

Not sure if this will be the final design, or not... I'm not sure you can fully tell what it is. Suggestions are welcome! I might make it look like a generic beetle but from a top view like this:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » August 23rd, 2014, 3:21 pm

I really like the lakeside forest at twilight aesthetic, Phyre! :)

I do feel as though the green of the platforms stands out just a little too much from the blue of the scenery, but if that is only when the lightning bug is doing his thing, I suppose that's fine/good?

Also, I think revising his crate logo is probably a good move; I can't tell what that one is for the life of me. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby spaceman2028 » August 25th, 2014, 2:17 pm

I once had the idea of a level that takes place in a thunderstorm out in some desert region of the world, while there was a huge rainfall one night recently. It gave me the idea of the level, and seeing how amazing these levels could get, here's hoping my level comes to life!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » September 20th, 2014, 4:30 am

I wanted to make a level called Fungi Forest, in... honor?... of the DK64 level. I was thinking about it and how to do it and there's something that's bothering me. If I have bouncy mushrooms, how do they differ from a tire? I'm not going to disclose my current ideas on what fungi forest will look like, yet. You'll see that after I've finished and posted a fake screenshot.

Can anybody think of something that would make the mushrooms different from a tire? The only thing I could think of is to make them squish after jumping on them too long and you have to use a seed barrel (like the one Simion made) to regrow it. Any other ideas? It would be really helpful.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » September 20th, 2014, 4:59 am

Well you CAN make them like in the mario games where there are both mushrooms that make you bounce and ones that don't, but apart from being static that's going to be the only thing that will make them different to tires.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » September 20th, 2014, 8:43 am

I think I'll stick with it either having to be planted, being squished after so many jumps, or both. There are tires that are half buried in the game, and I don't want it to be like that. There would be no real point to having them if they were identical as far as usage goes... Then again, maybe the mushroom would give you twice the height or something crazy like that.... Fungi Forest mushrooms gave you a crazy bounce.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » September 20th, 2014, 9:22 am

...oooooh, THOSE tires. I thought you meant the DKC2 lost world tires...
but yeah good idea there, phyre!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Simion32 » October 1st, 2014, 4:02 am

I had an idea for a very developed archetype today, so I'm going to dump this idea here: I'm getting together a purely-musical archetype idea.

No fantasy-looking objects, no magic stuff, just a professional-looking archetype demonstrating the core essence of music itself. Oddly enough, I plan for it to not include instruments directly in the terrain (that's too fantasy-ish), but rather via material variations in the terrain that represent various types of instrument.

I'll probably post the idea later if I can come up with a faked screenshot of such a level. It will be an indoors-ish looking type, though I will modify it to suit Lava and Ice variants (combining two of the rarest of archetypes in gaming: Ice+Music ...is almost guaranteed to be an under-used archetype idea).

Possible Level Names:
Musical Madness
Symbolic Symphonics
Echo Eclecticism
(Lava) Magma Musical
(Lava) Volcanic Vocalism
(Ice) Frozen Facade
(Ice) Smooth Grooves
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » October 2nd, 2014, 4:27 pm

Okay, so it isn't done yet... but I'm pretty excited about the ideas I've had for this level, so I wanted to go ahead and make a fake screenshot to show you guys what I'm thinking...

Fungi forest fake screenshot:
fungi forest fake screenshot.png
fungi forest fake screenshot.png (178.55 KiB) Viewed 95328 times

I'll post here again when I'm done with the level.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » October 3rd, 2014, 2:42 pm

My latest level is now up :)

Here is where you can find it.

Also, I have another little thing in case anybody is interested. The one guy that's helping out with the DKC4 project (Christopher) made the background of Sunken Spruce tile-able by adding in some stuff on the edges. I took his image and ripped it apart and made everything into layers, so now, not only is it able to be tiled, it is now scrollable.

Here is the link to that.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » October 18th, 2014, 6:12 am

I've just finished my redo of Glimmering Galleon. I've made the level design a little bit better.

Now this level is pretty big, ergo large files... and I had to upload it to my deviantart in four pieces.
Ocean
Icy foreground and background
Masts
Ship

Because of this being hard to put together, Here is a template to help you out.

And, as always, a fake screenshot because they are fun. Image
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » October 21st, 2014, 8:54 am

My mind is blown, and what's more,
There's level, ice, and craziness galore!

As for an idea, I'm sure you'll find
That my levels are one of a kind!

Diddy and Dixie, this one hosts,
While a brown ice cave it clearly boasts!
Klomps be klompin', while Klobbers klobbin',
And everyone's in need of a stompin'!

Soon Kannons appear to shoot at you,
While honey on the floor holds like glue!
But if you manage to finish the trek through,
You'll be rewarded with a lovely stew!

And that's all you have to do.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » November 13th, 2014, 7:36 am

*reposts ideas here*

Fowlfire Fortress - Use the black squawks (credit to CatLoverMolly for that Squawks version) in a Castle or Fortress level where you have to spit bombs and/or cannonballs at the walls to break open entrances. Maybe even with some terrain physics (if you break sections in the wrong order you change the path or even get squashed!). Can also work as a general level without squawks.
Crumbling Cannons
Bomb-Blast Blockhouse - This particular level focuses on enemies rather than terrain blasting.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » November 13th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Interesting ideas, Simion!

I have a new level! Yay. This one is short, though. It's another Kremlantis type level. Special thanks to Christopher who is helping with the DKC4 project for making the tiles as well as the Manky Kong statue.

Unfortunately, Deviantart was being stupid and kept having errors when I was trying to upload TIFF and PSD versions of the level, so all of the layers are in separate PNG files:
Actual level

Seaweed

Statues
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Gaz » November 14th, 2014, 11:13 am

Aw, man. I'd LOVE to play that Fungi Forest-based level! :D

Phyreburnz
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Phyreburnz » November 17th, 2014, 2:07 pm

I have a new level. It's half construction, half factory. Deviantart is still being stupid about uploading TIFF files, so again, it's all in parts.

Main level

Moving platforms (just construction)

How everything goes
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » November 18th, 2014, 8:15 am

Seems like a very interesting level. :)

Would like to see it in action!

Oh - you forgot that grey stuff on the side of your example image (unless you uploaded that in another image somewhere...).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » November 18th, 2014, 11:37 am

The chain link thing is in one of the layers on my other construction level. I wasn't totally sold on having it over top. If anybody wants it, it is in a layer on this level.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » November 21st, 2014, 2:43 pm

Okay, so I have some updates. Deviantart decided to allow me to upload TIFF files again. So, if anybody wants the TIFFs for desert, construction/factory, and Kremlantis 2, Here they are.

Also, another new level.

And here is the TIFF file for the Kremetery.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » November 21st, 2014, 2:48 pm

Wow, Phyre... I'm constantly in awe of your creative and atmospheric level archetypes and designs. O_O

Also, the name 'Kremetery' alone is banana-worthy. :banana:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » November 21st, 2014, 2:57 pm

Thanks.

Sorry, I accidentally clicked to post before I could fully write what I wanted to.

I'm not the one that came up with the idea of the cemetery. Christopher came up with the idea and made some sprites. I had to remake most of them, though.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » November 22nd, 2014, 4:42 am

That level looks absolutely great! :thumbs:

The only thing missing: there needs to be some kremling skulls in a few of those pits ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby aloushi69 » November 22nd, 2014, 12:27 pm

Hey so I noticed there going to be a desert level which is awesome cause I don't think I ever played one in a DKC game before.it got me thinking and I came up with a idea

Why not have a fast paced desert level similar to angry sun level from Mario Bros 3 where you have a sun following you from above with limited stoppage otherwise if you get caught you get zapped/burned by its sun rays.have a shadow of the sun trailing underneath the Kong's for better precision.

Also maybe try to implement quicksand into the game.

if the idea is good enough I came up with a name for the sun Scorch or Ray. :)
Newcomer

Postby Phyreburnz » December 10th, 2014, 10:47 am

Simion32 wrote:The only thing missing: there needs to be some kremling skulls in a few of those pits ;)

I feel kind of stupid... I think I just now figured out what you meant,Simion32! :lol:

I presume you're talking about the spikes in levels like Jungle Jinx?

I think I should add those into the pits.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » January 5th, 2015, 11:51 am

@Phyreburnz The minecart level's TIF download is corrupted.

Nice ideas combining the level archetypes! The bog idea with the docks is ingenious. :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » January 5th, 2015, 12:07 pm

Did you try downloading it? I know it looked weird on the website, but I tried downloading it and it looked like it was all there. If you did try to download it, I will re upload it tomorrow.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » January 5th, 2015, 12:18 pm

Yeah, I directly downloaded it and got a corrupted image file.

I'm archiving all of these; so I'm quite observant to make sure I get the correct download of the file.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » January 5th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Oh cool. Photoshop acts up every now and then and I don't know why. I think I've solved the problem. I'll re upload tomorrow.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 6th, 2015, 10:41 am

Apologies for the double post, but I fixed Minecart Mayhem.

Here it is. This file should be okay. If something is still wrong, please let me know.

*EDIT* Another new level!

Flooded Factory

Okay, so this level has some special stuff to get the full effect. First of all, the oily water needs to raise up and down as you get to places that are too high to jump to from an oil barrel or too low to get to through the oil.

The oil barrels should sink slowly the more you stand on it. If you throw a normal barrel into the oil, it should constantly float even if you stand on it.

I'm not sure if this should be used or not, but I thought that the oil shouldn't act like a swamp in DKC2. I thought maybe it could act like the quick sand in Mario III for the NES, where you slowly sink but if you jump quick enough, you can escape. That is up to you if you want to add that to the level.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 10th, 2015, 11:21 am

I have a new level.

This one, I'm not exactly sure how somebody would be able to work the flooded caves in nicely. I don't know if there are really any places in the trilogy with something similar. There are only a few areas where I would like there to be lakes.

Does anybody know if this is really possible? I did my best guess. I could add stalactites on either side of where the lakes should stop if that would help.

Flooded Cave level

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 15th, 2015, 11:43 am

I have another level. This is potentially the first level for DKC4, but anybody can use it if they want, of course :)

Here is the level

Spoiler for large images! 3 separate fake screenshots for one level!!!
Spoiler!

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » January 17th, 2015, 6:14 am

That level of yours just HAS to appear in the DKC4 fangame, Phyreburnz! I know of it!

And so do all of your other levels, for that matter!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Level Builder