DKC Comic Strips! (from Club Nintendo magazine, Germany)

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

DKC Comic Strips! (from Club Nintendo magazine, Germany)

Postby Qyzbud » April 19th, 2008, 7:14 pm

A thread at the DKU forum just brought my attention to something rather cool...

DKC_comic_header.jpg
Fixed/added links, downloads now stored here on the Atlas. :)
DKC_comic_header.jpg (59.35 KiB) Viewed 28870 times

A German Donkey Kong Country comic strip!

According to this entry on Super Mario Wiki, this comic strip was released in 1995 as part of Nintendo's official German magazine; Club Nintendo.

Scans of the DKC comic in PDF format, originally courtesy of e-lation.net:

Part 1 (1.82 MB) \
Part 2 (1.75 MB) -| ← downloads fixed! (August 2012)
Part 3 (1.81 MB) /

The story is that of DK's mission to recover his banana hoard, and many DKC gameplay elements, concepts and characters are included along the way. I think it's quite a cool comic-style representation of our DK's debut adventure. Although the dialogue is in German, it's easy enough to follow (and is certainly worth checking out) even if you can't read the text. Fortunately for English speakers/readers, a kindly DKU member is apparently working (or thinking of working) on an English translation.

UPDATE:
The translation has been completed! I hope to have it available here soon, but in the meantime, click here. (link broken as of August 2012) :cry:
We should all thank DKU member Hedonismbot for putting in such a great effort to bring the comic to us English speakers!

Another German DKC comic!

Donkey Kong in: Banana Day 24
(Complete, PDF, 2.97 MB) ← download fixed! (August 2012)

This one features all four playable Kongs (yay! Dixie and Kiddy!), and has a far more obscure storyline (including the Kongs visiting the US President, and blasting into outer space...). I'm really not sure what that's all about, but I'm sure it will make a bit more sense if/when an English translation becomes available.

Update: Translations by Twilight_Vestige can be found in this DKU forum post: "I tried to translate them. God help us all."

A German DKC2 Comic! (page of scans on German 'Nintendo Power' site)

Other German Nintendo comics...

The German 'Nintendo Power' site features scans of a variety of Nintendo comics.

Amazing... just three days ago I didn't know about any of these! You Germans get all the fun. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: DKC Comic Strip (from Club Nintendo magazine, Germany)

Postby nackhe » April 19th, 2008, 8:48 pm

I'm so glad my German is good enough to understand the comic. :D
I read it yesterday.
It's a pretty boring and short comic in my opinion tho. And I don't really like how they gave Diddy Kong buckteeth... :?

Besides that it's okay I guess. ;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Stone » April 19th, 2008, 10:19 pm

If there are any questions about german words, I can help. ;)
And thanks for posting this comic because it is nice to see it again!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 20th, 2008, 9:37 am

Can anyone name those four new (well... old, I guess) Kongs in DK's treehouse at the beginning? It's weird seeing some fresh Kong faces after so long. The comic is pretty cool, and I like how cute Diddy looks. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby nackhe » April 20th, 2008, 9:53 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Can anyone name those four new (well... old, I guess) Kongs in DK's treehouse at the beginning? It's weird seeing some fresh Kong faces after so long. The comic is pretty cool, and I like how cute Diddy looks. :)

Their names are never mentioned in the comic.
So I guess we're free to name them ourselves. ;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 20th, 2008, 10:53 am

Blank Kong
Kong with Green Party Hat
Kong with Blue Party Hat
Blue-haired Candy Clone (Kong with Blue Party Hat's girlfriend?)

My official names for them. I think it's nice that they put those Kongs in there. It gives DK Island a sense of community, you know?

I wonder what they would look like in the Donkey Kong Country game. :shock:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kowbrainz » April 21st, 2008, 12:25 am

Hehe, I remember seeing this somewhere a while back. I think the same mag made a few comics for Banjo-Kazooie too.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Diddy_Gal » April 23rd, 2008, 12:37 am

Hey! The artwork on this comic reminds me of the Japanese Donkey Kong Country Trading Card Game. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/don_card/ ... index.html
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » April 23rd, 2008, 3:34 am

The comic's dialogue translation has been completed! I hope to have it available here soon, but in the meantime, click here.
We should all thank DKU member Hedonismbot for putting in such a great effort to bring the comic to us English speakers!

Also, two more DKC comics that you may enjoy:

Donkey Kong in: Banana Day 24 (Complete, PDF, 2.97 MB) - link fixed! August 2012

This one features all four playable Kongs (yay! Dixie and Kiddy!), and has a far more obscure storyline (including the Kongs visiting the US President, and blasting into outer space...). I'm really not sure what that's all about, but I'm sure it will make a bit more sense if/when an English translation becomes available.

Other German Nintendo comics... including a DKC2 comic! - link no longer available :oops:

The DKC2 comic is similar to the first DKC comic, in that it follows the game's basic story. I really look forward to reading this one, and fortunately Hedonismbot has offered to provide a translation for it, too. The German Nintendo Power site also features scans of a variety of other Nintendo comics, so you might enjoy browsing the other ones while you're there.

Amazing... just three days ago I didn't know about any of these! You Germans get all the fun. :P

Note: I've added these other comics to this thread's first post.
Last edited by Qyzbud on August 1st, 2012, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed/removed broken links
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » April 23rd, 2008, 8:46 am

Is this the DKC2 comic with 32 or more sites? (Unnecessary question, watching your links is a must)
Oh yes, also one thing I had a few years ago and I've already downloaded that a while ago.

Oh yes, we germans got much Nintendo Fun, I think the people working for Nintendo in Germany were deeply comitted with their work in those years. They ensured to import as much fun from around the world as possible.

Oh my, I just realised that the DKC2 comic contains a screenshot of the beta title-screen! (Damn, I should have noticed that before asking you about beta-screens :roll: )
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Jomingo » April 23rd, 2008, 10:44 am

nackhe wrote:Their names are never mentioned in the comic.
So I guess we're free to name them ourselves. ;)

Baldy Kong
Party Kong
Mandy Kong
Drunky Kong

Done.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » April 23rd, 2008, 11:12 am

Stone wrote:Oh my, I just realised that the DKC2 comic contains a screenshot of the beta title-screen!

Yeah, it's of much better quality than our current one in that thread, too... I'll pop it in place over there as soon as possible! :)

EDIT: The comic's title screen is actually a slightly different design to the one Cyclone posted. (see my post)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Bomberman12358 » October 22nd, 2010, 12:18 pm

Hello everyone! (New guy here! >_<)

Sorry for the revival of an old thread, but for the longest time I wanted to read the Donkey Kong Country Club Nintendo comics but... the links are broken! TT_TT

I would really love to read this translation if possible! Thank you very much! :D

-Bomberman12358 :)
Newcomer

Re: DKC Comic Strips! (from Club Nintendo magazine, Germany)

Postby Qyzbud » August 2nd, 2012, 1:31 pm

Just an update to let everyone know that the links and downloads have been fixed in the original post, so head on up and treat yourself to some German gorilla graphic novel goodness... (and English translated versions!) :D

Thanks to Bomberman12358 (and Gaz) for pointing out the broken links.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gaz » August 2nd, 2012, 1:32 pm

You're welcome (NOOO!!! My Game Complete! status).
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 2nd, 2012, 1:35 pm

Guess I gotta learn German now, huh?

NEIN NEIN NEIN!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Ribbedebie » August 4th, 2012, 10:54 pm

I actually know a fair bit of German, seeing that I'm getting German lessons at school, being Dutch and all. And I didn't drop it for next year, either! Science, however... Bluhhh.... I prefer languages! (It's just that I fail at science, no offense. :P )

Anyway, these comics are really cool! Speaking of comics... the DKC cartoon got a few mangas some time or another too! All I know of this is a few pages I found on someone with awesome fanart's blog.... and my Japanese is poor. I only know how to say I love Donkey Kong. ドンキーコング大好きだ! And in German, Ich liebe Donkey Kong. Tee hee...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Return to General DKC Discussion