Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby Super Luigi! » June 7th, 2014, 2:59 pm

This is to discuss Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U. Since I didn't want to fill the Random Thoughts topic up with my discussion, I decided to make this thread. So, I'll start with something small. :banana:

Even though Donkey Kong is, yet again, the only Kong here, Mario Kart 8 is still an amazing game. :thumbs: Everything is HD, the tracks seem correct, and the music isn't that bad either. Also, nine times out of ten, Green Shells now hit someone, :target: no matter where he or she may be!

By the way, I did the research, and found out we can't have a DKC Atlas Club. :kiddysad: However, we can still host our own DKC Atlas Tournaments! :dixiehappy: I volunteer to create one, if other users such as yourself want to race, that is.

Well, anyone else care to talk about the game?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Re: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby Qyzbud » June 7th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Good idea! I'm sure there will be a few of us interested in sharing thoughts and racing together. :)

I've only played a little of the game so far, but I've found it mostly enjoyable; perhaps when I try the motion-based controls, I'll have a better time. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Mattrizzle » June 8th, 2014, 11:48 am

Super Luigi! wrote:By the way, I did the research, and found out we can't have a DKC Atlas Club. :kiddysad: However, we can still host our own DKC Atlas Tournaments! :dixiehappy: I volunteer to create one, if other users such as yourself want to race, that is.
Here's how you could make it like a club:
  • Set the tournament up so there's no limit to the number of races. That way, the score matters less.
  • Make the code required in order to find the tournament, and hide the code in a private page on the forum (e.g. someone's profile). This will ensure that only members here can join our tournament (provided everyone keeps the code a secret).
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Super Luigi! » June 8th, 2014, 3:18 pm

That's brilliant! :thumbs: Thank for the suggestion, Mattrizzle. :banana: Oh, and by the way, Red Kiddy Kong :kiddycool: and I :dixiehappy: tied for first in the tournament today!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cyclone » June 9th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Where is the code? I wanna play. :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Mattrizzle » June 9th, 2014, 7:15 pm

I've gotten all of the gold trophies and beaten a cup with each character at least once. The only things left for me are to get three stars in 150cc and Mirror, finish unlocking all of the kart parts, and beat all of the staff ghosts in Time Trials.

@ Cyclone: My suggestion would be to send a PM to Super Luigi!. Unless the code is already hidden somewhere else.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Geno » June 10th, 2014, 1:59 am

WELP, I got MK8 yesterday for my birthday!

It's pretty neat, even if it is really easy.
And even if the only item I ever get in 1st palce is the Coin item. I got so many coins in one SINGLE PLAYER GP race that I unlocked TWO Kart Parts at once!

And at least the game's random unlocking was merciful with me. I got the Pipe Frame and Rosalina rather early, so as "space peach" herself says, I'm "all set"!

Although that doesn't change the fact that the first thing I ever got was Pink Gold Peach. :facepalm:

And although I'd LOVE to play with you guys, my Wii U, for some reason, refuses to connect to the internet unless it is updating. :shakehead:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Red Kiddy Kong » June 10th, 2014, 2:22 pm

I would be over joyed to play with you guys,just 1rule for me is nobody gang up on anyone! Lol Quill over here..... :lol: :nicework: :kiddycool:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 7

Postby Super Luigi! » June 10th, 2014, 2:23 pm

What times would work best for you guys and girls? I'm thinking of starting it somewhere in the next four days, between 12:00-4:00 P.M. PST, and ending two to four hours later. Or you can just let me decide a time I find convenient! :dixiehappy:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Mattrizzle » June 10th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Here are the approximate times when I might be free (Eastern Daylight Time):
Mon.-Thurs.: 5:00 PM-9:00 PM EDT
Friday: 5:00 PM-12:00 AM EDT
Saturday: 8:00 AM-10:00 PM EDT
Sunday: 2:30 PM-9:00 PM EDT

...and again in Coordinated Universal TIme:
Mon.-Thurs.: 9:00 PM-Next Day 1:00 AM UTC
Fri. 9:00 PM-Sat. 4:00 AM UTC
Sat. 12:00 PM-Sun. 2:00 AM UTC
Sun. 6:00 PM-Mon. 1:00 AM UTC

I recommend that you set up the tournament to occur daily for the maximum possible time (00:00-23:30).

Also:
    Rules
  • Mode: 150cc Race
  • Teams: No Teams
  • All Items/Vehicles/Controls
  • COM: No COM

Time Settings
  • Race Count: No Limit
  • Group Shuffling: Not sure about this one... It'll really only become an issue if we have more than 12 players simultaneously.

Other
  • Public/Private: Code Required
  • Global/Regional: Global
  • Player Rating: Any Rating
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Super Luigi! » June 11th, 2014, 12:04 am

All right then; I'll create it straight away! I like the idea of a daily, all-day tournament, by the way, since it completely blasts away all time zone problems. Anyhow, now to start it and bury me code treasure! :krool:

Oh, while I'll be available practically all day from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM PST starting tomorrow, I will be going on a trip for a few days next week. Regardless, if you ever need to contact me, you know what to do! :dixiehappy:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby CaptainEddie » June 20th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Now that it's summer and I don't have university, I'd love to play with you guys. Where exactly is this code treasure of yours, Super Luigi! ? :scratch:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Mattrizzle » June 20th, 2014, 7:42 pm

@ CaptainEddie: Send Super Luigi! a PM and I'm sure he'll be glad to give it to you. :mario:

It'd be great if we could all join the tourney this weekend, though I'll undoubtedly spend some time working on one of those ROM hacking projects I never can seem to get finished. In about one week, I'll be between jobs, so my free time will increase dramatically for about a week and a half.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Super Luigi! » June 21st, 2014, 9:28 am

I see and agree. For me, I start summer school next week, so I'll be busy. Still, it's Monday through Thursday, so I still have Friday and Sunday off, as far as I know. By the way, if we are to ever race one day, like this weekend for example, we need to set up a time to meet.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Super Luigi! » August 28th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Hello everyone. I'm sorry to bump this, but since nobody decided to say anything, I'll have to let you know. There's going to be an update for Mario Kart 8 on August 27. :gift: Among other things, such as bug fixes, the Mercedes DLC is included, your last Kart selection is saved to memory, you can see your online win/loss ration and total coin count. :banana: Here's the article for more info, and perhaps we'll actually race together one day! :dixiehappy:

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/06/ni ... august-27/

EDIT: But wait, there's more! You can read the article for yourself, but here's a quick summary. Six new racers, two new cars, and two new cups are coming in November and May! For the first time ever, play as Link, Villager, or Isabelle in Mario Kart! (Still no Dixie or even Diddy, but oh well.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... cing-game/

Last bumped by Super Luigi! on August 28th, 2014, 3:26 pm.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Return to Mario Sports