Ducking Underwater (AKA "Crouch Anchoring")

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country 2...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

Ducking Underwater (AKA "Crouch Anchoring")

Postby The Kirby » April 16th, 2008, 8:53 am

A somewhat neat little trick that's probably a glitch.

To Crouch Anchor, you must be at either a ledge which is right above water or in a location where water will rise over it while you're standing there. The latter one is easy to do; all you need to do is stay crouched. For the ledge, you'll need to run over the ledge and crouch just before you drop off. If you do this correctly, you'll be crouching while falling into the water. When crouching in water, the game won't register you being in the water, and you'll basically be "anchored" at the bottom of the water as long as you stay crouching. Also, Crouch Anchoring protects you from dangerous fluids such as the hot water in Lava Lagoon and the poisonous sludge in Toxic Tower (as long as you stay crouching; it'll hurt you if you attempt to swim afterwards.)

There's another interesting trick you can do with Crouch Anchoring by pressing the B button while you're crouching in the water. If you do this, you'll swim up really quickly.
Last edited by Qyzbud on May 26th, 2008, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic name to help clarify the nature of this glitch
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 5

Re: Crouch Anchoring

Postby BlueTronic » April 16th, 2008, 9:09 am

I knew about the swimming up really fast and "Crouch Anchoring" but never knew it protects you from harmfull water. I wonder what would do if you were to do it in Clapper's Cavern, and freeze the water while you're under. You'd probably get stuck and be trapped under :lol: (Of course this is comepletely impossible, but it'd look funny!)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby The Kirby » April 16th, 2008, 9:15 am

I can't really think of any immediate uses for this trick except for possibly the challenge in completing Slime Climb backwards, since falling using the crouch is significantly faster than just sinking. It sadly doesn't protect you against Snapjaw. :x
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 5

Postby BlueTronic » April 16th, 2008, 9:17 am

As a matter of fact, I remember saying that in that thread before.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kiddy14 » April 16th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:I wonder what would do if you were to do it in Clapper's Cavern, and freeze the water while you're under. You'd probably get stuck and be trapped under :lol: (Of course this is comepletely impossible, but it'd look funny!)

I think it's possible, but you would have to make your timing so when you start falling the water gets icy again.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby BlueTronic » April 16th, 2008, 10:50 pm

Youhave to hit Clapper for the water to get iced again, which you can't do cause you'll be underwater.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 17th, 2008, 12:21 am

...besides, any object that follows the game's regular gravity rules is repositioned at surface level if it's beneath the surface when the water freezes.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to DKC2 Glitches