Is it possible in SDK 2 to....

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

Is it possible in SDK 2 to....

Postby hugetropical0rgy » February 26th, 2014, 12:06 pm

change a sprite to another sprite?
What I mean is, say a Kannon in Kannon's Klaim, can you change the sprite into a Squawks Barrel?
(oh god, that was an awkward first post) :facepalm:
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Re: Is it possible in SDK 2 to....

Postby Kingizor » February 26th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Yes. You can use the SDK2 editor found in this topic.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby hugetropical0rgy » February 26th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Well, I already have that, but either it's complicated, or I'm just stupid, but I can't figure out how to switch sprites.
(of course, you don't NEED to help me, heck, as long as I'm sure you can, then I can keep trying to figure it out)
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Postby Kimi Kong » March 1st, 2014, 2:29 pm

I cant get this to work at all. Can anyone help me?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby hugetropical0rgy » March 4th, 2014, 12:22 pm

If it's the rom, usually getting the rom from somewhere else works. If it's the editor itself, you might need to contact the creators, or the guy who made the translated version. (sorry for not remembering your name, if you're reading this)
Also, two more questions: Is it also possible to change sprites in DKC 3 with SDK 3? (I'm assuming not, since there's no "sprites" tab, but just wondering)
2. How exactly do you insert the custom levels edited with platinum into the ROM? I get the PPF's of the map files from the untranslated versions of SDK2 and SDK3, and then put them in the "mapchips for DKC2" folder, and when I'm done editing them in platinum, insert them into "SDK2_Map.exe", and then an "SDK2" file comes out.
What do I do with the SDK2 file?
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Postby Kingizor » March 4th, 2014, 1:03 pm

The translated version does all the same things as the original version, so you might be better off using it instead.

1) You can replace sprites in levels, but you can't modify them directly like you can in the SDK2 editor.

2) The output file contains the compressed map data ready to be inserted back into the rom. You can find the location to paste the data in the Map Properties section of the SDK2 editor. The compressed data must not be larger than the original data.

Alternatively, you can use the built-in import/export feature of the SDK2 editor.

And best to remove the name of that site while you still have the chance...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby hugetropical0rgy » March 4th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Thanks for the help, it worked!
Also, heh, I guess I should've read through the rules.
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Return to ROM Hacking