Custom/Edited Sprites

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Custom/Edited Sprites

Postby Geno » August 9th, 2012, 3:45 am

Uh, soon.
And I might make a different Chunky, as well.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 9th, 2012, 8:10 am

You should try modern Tiny. She's a FOX ;)
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Geno » August 9th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Naaah, I HATE her new design. :x
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Phyreburnz » September 1st, 2012, 1:54 am

I 'spose I should post this here, too:
sphinx k rool better.png
sphinx k rool better.png (5.66 KiB) Viewed 698071 times

Sphinx K. Rool

I had another (crappier) version, but this one is much better! I'm actually really proud of this, because I made the sphinx sprite myself by taking a sphinx picture, shrinking it down, and picking out like 8 or 9 colours and using those colours over the image to make it look right.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 1st, 2012, 9:38 am

Hahaha, this is brilliant. A background object maybe?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » September 1st, 2012, 10:20 am

Thanks! I was thinking it could be used for a background. This was actually a lot of fun to make! I'm trying to think of other things I could make for backgrounds...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » September 2nd, 2012, 6:19 am

Cool!
Phyre, we are allowed to use your "Sphinx K. Rool" in BG of our custom level "The Kremlahari"?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » September 2nd, 2012, 7:29 am

Of course you're allowed! All of my stuff is available for use, as long as credit is given! I'm also doing as Ton suggested, and I'm making a sprite of a cluster of pyramids. Do you need me to edit the colour to make it fit better, or are you going to do that yourself or leave it as is?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » September 2nd, 2012, 11:42 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Of course you're allowed! All of my stuff is available for use, as long as credit is given! I'm also doing as Ton suggested, and I'm making a sprite of a cluster of pyramids. Do you need me to edit the colour to make it fit better, or are you going to do that yourself or leave it as is?

Thanks! I'll try to match the colors, if I can not I warn you ok? I hope you do more of that theme desert elements. Image
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 2nd, 2012, 12:50 pm

A whole desert would would be a lot of fun. Maybe a magic carpet themed level? Quicksand? A stage where a sandstorm works against your jumps? Some cobra enemies?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » September 2nd, 2012, 5:52 pm

Not gonna lie... I feel a little stupid right now... I wish I would have thought to try this much earlier.... but I found the easiest way to make sprites out of pictures on Photoshop.... I can make anything into a sprite in a matter of a few moments (right after I cut out what I want from a photo, it literally takes seconds)...

So, here are pyramid sprites:
pyramid-sprites-test-2.gif
pyramid-sprites-test-2.gif (4.43 KiB) Viewed 698000 times

I can do this to just about anything, now... so I guess I'll do it with some cacti next.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 3rd, 2012, 2:35 am

Hmm, you might want to make them separate sprites so they can be put in different orders in the scrolling bg?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » September 3rd, 2012, 4:29 am

I was thinking about doing several different pyramid things (one group of three and a few different single pyramids).

I have an idea of maybe attempting an obelisk with hieroglyphics, but have Kremling images on them.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » September 4th, 2012, 6:26 am

Is getting great Phyre, keep up the good work!

There are some great work here, I think we can take many of them in our project DKC4, provided we have permission.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » September 8th, 2012, 10:55 am

I wasn't sure about the size for the cactus, so I've made four versions. I left the huge one, because I thought maybe it would be good for foregrounds.

cactus smaller.gif
cactus smaller.gif (488 Bytes) Viewed 697918 times

cactus medium.gif
cactus medium.gif (1.35 KiB) Viewed 697918 times

cactus large.gif
cactus large.gif (2.63 KiB) Viewed 697918 times

cactus huge.gif
cactus huge.gif (4.25 KiB) Viewed 697918 times

I'm going to make another cactus sprite (probably also in four sizes), and I still want to make those single and triple pyramid sprites.

*EDIT* Here is the single pyramid sprite:

'
single-pyramid.gif
single-pyramid.gif (7.57 KiB) Viewed 697911 times

Sorry for this, but I'm going to have to do a double post to add all of the second cactus sprites.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » September 8th, 2012, 11:55 am

Sorry for the double post, but I couldn't add these to my last post, due to the five attachment limit. These are the second cactus sprites.

second-cactus smaller.gif
second-cactus smaller.gif (643 Bytes) Viewed 697911 times

second-cactus medium.gif
second-cactus medium.gif (954 Bytes) Viewed 697911 times

second-cactus big.gif
second-cactus big.gif (1.67 KiB) Viewed 697911 times

second-cactus huge.gif
second-cactus huge.gif (3.24 KiB) Viewed 697911 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 9th, 2012, 6:40 am

Wow, these are awesome. Some kind of mobile cactus could be a fun enemy.
Hehe, you should attempt a K. Rool pharaoh. That would be a neat theme for a game. King, Pirate, Scientist, Pharaoh.
K. Ruin? K. Ramesses?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby doug kong » September 11th, 2012, 1:00 am

hey, PhyreBurnz'm impressed with their pyramids, I was wondering if you can not do that with a whole CHARACTERS, so I took this one of DONKEY KONG JUNGLE BEAT:
imag1.gif
imag1.gif (56.12 KiB) Viewed 697846 times

you can download here:http://search.4shared.com/postDownload/9-n89lRJ/ima01.html

(sorry bad english)

I took away:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HdCchwvmI0
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » September 11th, 2012, 1:31 am

There are two slightly different version I did:

block.gif
block.gif (11.75 KiB) Viewed 697844 times

block 2.png
block 2.png (26.25 KiB) Viewed 697844 times

The first one has one more colour in it, but I wasn't sure I liked it, so I did the second and took out the brightest colour, because it looked like weird specks.

Making sprites like this is super easy to do, by the way. All you need to do (in photoshop) is select whatever it is you want from an image (like my cactus) Image
Take that selection and either put it on a new layer, or inverse the selection and delete everything but what you want (delete everything except for the cactus). Once you do that, it's really easy. Go to file > save for web & devices > and pick the number of colours you'd like in the image (usually I do around 10 to make it look like a regular sprite) and click save. And that's it.

I just wanted to put that up in case anyone wanted to know or wanted to make their own.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » September 13th, 2012, 2:18 pm

Now, I want to be clear and say that no, I cannot animate this, but I did make a pharaoh K. Rool sprite just for fun.
pharaoh k rool sprite regular size.png
pharaoh k rool sprite regular size.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 697813 times

I made it the actual colours of the regular King K. Rool sprites (except for the blue, of course!).

I wish I could make this an actual boss, but I don't have as much time as I used to, and I'm not that great with Sculptris... which I still need to finish up my attempts at new enemies...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 14th, 2012, 10:55 am

Just to be safe: are we all okay with basing the final boss off of one level archetype? Are we all on board with a pharaoh K. Rool? There are still a lot of other ideas that we could look into. Maybe he could be the boss of a desert world, and we could save the final K. Rool for another costume.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 14th, 2012, 2:54 pm

I don't think that's what we're doing, unless we were willing to make the whole game Egyptian themed, like #2 was Pirate themed, and #3 was technology-themed. Phyre was just having fun.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 16th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Here are a few more ideas I found through Google:

- General Secretary Komrade K. Roolski (Joseph Stalin was a badass)
- Emperor K. Roolus
- Konquerer K. Rool the Kruel
- Darth K. Rool
- Don K. Roolino (of the Krem Kroc. Kartel)
- Dr. Krocktopus
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Geno » October 28th, 2012, 11:51 am

Lumpy Klumpy Bump

Just saying, I'm trying to recreate the winged barrel found on the Kongo Jungle map from DKC.

The barrel is easy, but the wings... :x

But once I'm done, we'll have :funky: 's secret 3rd barrel flights vehicle.

Oh, and that desert themed stuff is pretty cool!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby The Banana Bird » January 17th, 2013, 12:31 pm

BUMPITY BUMP
Found a new recoloring site so heres another poorly recolored squawks for ya xD
Yes it says his name is Rawk, but I want it to be Swawk.(anyone have a better name for me)
By pressing the left trigger when you have him, you can control him above the kongs and turn on hard to reach switches. When he is activated, he has the same lives as your kong/kongs (2 or 1 lives) He can be used to activate secret switches that are used to beat the level or can get bonuses for your kongs. If he dies when you are supposed to open the switch he was going towards to complete the rest of the level, you automatically lose a life and have to start the level over.

EDIT
And how about a Screech recolor for a DKC2 version of nut shooting Mini Neckies? I will call him tropica since it is a tropical bird.
Attachments
Screech_(Donkey_Kong_Country_2).png
Screech_(Donkey_Kong_Country_2).png (41.49 KiB) Viewed 697391 times
Rawkd.jpg
Rawkd.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 697417 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby doomero » January 25th, 2013, 8:02 am

Markster wrote:I am finished with the horizontal climbing DK, I know it sucks, but I tried... :

Donkey Kong Climb Animation.PNG

not bad, actualy i am trying to found this animation.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Phyreburnz » January 25th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Banana bird, your editing has really improved! I'm impressed! :D Keep it up!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Mattrizzle » February 3rd, 2013, 11:49 am

Custom palettes for Klump:
Attachments
klump-custom_pal.png
klump-custom_pal.png (57.1 KiB) Viewed 697293 times
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Qyzbud » February 3rd, 2013, 1:17 pm

Nice, Mattrizzle; I never much cared for Klump's DK64 palette, but you've done a great job of replicating it. The DKCTV palette looks good, too.

By the way, I like the use of Ol' Gill's font for DKC authenticity. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby EvangeliKong » February 3rd, 2013, 5:52 pm

Hmmm, Cartoon!Klump should be more green. I remember i once made Cartoon!Klump for this image.
Spoiler!

But nice work nonetheless :dixiehappy:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Ribbedebie » February 4th, 2013, 5:13 am

Oh my gosh you guys are awesome for remembering cartoon!Klump! ...Why'd they even change his colour in the cartoon? I'll never understand. I don't care though because he is the most adorable thing ever aaaaa. And yeah, about his colours; it's a bit vague! In the last season his colour was much darker. Pics in spoilers.

Spoiler!
and this figurine too
please disregard the badger, that's just me being a fangirl

I tried making my own cartoon!Klump edit for pointless little sprite comics I was making but you guys did a way better job, by far!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Geno » February 9th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Here's some more recolours.
DKL2, if it was for the Game Boy Colour!
*If it's too small for you, just right-click and select 'View Image'
Spoiler!

Includes title screen, Diddy, Dixie, and all the enemies.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby EvangeliKong » February 25th, 2013, 7:38 pm

hmmmm... doesn't look like a custom sprite, In my opinion custom DKC sprites should be created in a same way Rare did them...
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Phyreburnz » February 26th, 2013, 3:36 pm

It looks like you need some more texture. It looks too flat to blend with DKC graphics. While it would be more ideal to do the graphics the same way DKC did them, I know how hard that can be (especially since I've tried making custom enemies and that's gone mostly nowhere).

A good idea may be to look up a picture of a spiky ball (maybe like a mace or something) for reference. The way I made some of the custom sprites was take the picture, shrink it down (keeping the hard edges) and saving it as a PNG with a limited colour palette.

*EDIT* Markster, would you like me to try to make some spiky ball things? A good thing to decide is what material you want it to be. I have a few different spiky ball images below that are kinda big.

Spoiler!
You could go with a metal type like this mace:
Or like this... thing...
Or would you like something more natural looking, like this tree nut:

Or if you want something that looks like stone or something else.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » May 16th, 2013, 5:07 am

It's been a while, and for that, I apologize! I have been at school and I haven't had time to do my regular stuff, but I figured I'd let you guys see the custom tire sprites I made (with, of course, the help of Cyclone's tire model). What I would like to do with these is use them in the background of a level. I would like to make a tire factory level with stacks of tires everywhere. I would like to make the tire rows on shelves.

tire-row-one-sprite-two.gif
tire-row-one-sprite-two.gif (686 Bytes) Viewed 696838 times

tire-stack-one-sprite-two.gif
tire-stack-one-sprite-two.gif (1.26 KiB) Viewed 696838 times

tire-stack-two-sprite-two.gif
tire-stack-two-sprite-two.gif (1.39 KiB) Viewed 696838 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » May 16th, 2013, 8:14 am

There's no need to apologize to us, Phvreburnz (Did you change your name?), for we all know how time plays a valuable role in creating one's art. Indeed, just by looking at the famed artist Guertena, we see what time and effort does to paintings.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Tonberry2000 » June 11th, 2013, 5:44 am

I love the idea of a tire factory. Loads of conveyor belts (does any game have those?) and those lava pits from the factory stages in DKC3. There could be a new kind of enemy that is a Knocka or Klobber in a stack of tires who bounces you around and can't be killed.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Katastrophe Kong » December 25th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Before I go into another hiatus (or die of some convenient disease) I would like to share with you something I'd been working on. I was working on making more castle elements for K. Rools Keep. I was mainly inspired by these two renders to do so. Here is what I've gotten done so far:

Here is K. Rool's throne, a window, some shackles (taken from in-game) and some mini cannonballs (just resized, nothing special.)
Spoiler!

Here is that statuette of K. Rool's head, those drapes that go on either side of it, a banner, and a sword (taken from in-game.)
Spoiler!

Here's a door. I was using another door from DKC2 GBA as a reference. Also some more windows.
Spoiler!

Here's a demonstration of the door and windows.
Spoiler!

Here's a demonstration of several elements together (notice the old head statuette.)
Spoiler!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Geno » December 28th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Holy crap!

Those look brilliant! :nicework: :funky: :swanky: :thumbs: :dixiehappy: Image Image
(yes, those last two ones are smilies I made that weren't added, don't worry, I haven't worked around the 5 smilies per post limit. Image)

Although that first image you linked to appears to have died somewhat, here's an alternate source: (from Mario Wiki, so it hopefully won't go dead any time soon!)
Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Katastrophe Kong » December 29th, 2013, 1:15 pm

And thanks for the link to the render. I got the old one from HERE. I thought DK vine would have all the renders by now but surprisingly they don't. I think we should go with that render gallery in the atlas idea that was toyed with a while back.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Geno » December 31st, 2013, 4:27 am

I initially tossed this in the DKC3 beta discussion topic, but it really goes here.

I re-created those early Extra Life Balloon graphics seen in the Brazilian commercial, as well as the GBA port, for some reason.
For some reason, this design's eyes freak me out.

I guess this is as close as we'll ever get to obtaining the early balloon graphics, unless some sort of funky hacking can discover them in the DKC3 ROM, or if the prototype seen in that commercial gets discovered and dumped for all to play.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Phyreburnz » January 25th, 2014, 8:30 am

I have decided to try to make some kind of level similar to fungi forest in DK64. I started by getting a few photos of mushrooms and making them into sprites.

four-mushroms.gif
four-mushroms.gif (6.65 KiB) Viewed 695816 times

I figured that I should make several different sizes of these sprites, which I will do later.

Also, I'm going to think of how to include these into some other level style, as I don't think I can completely make a new level style.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 26th, 2014, 7:08 am

Okay, so I'm working on some things to try to combine things. One thing that I've done is created a chopped tree (like the treetop town ones). I took the rings of the redwood trees in DKC3 and made the palette match that of the tree in DKC1.

tree chopped.png
tree chopped.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 695787 times

So, the object of this is to place it like so, anywhere you want the tree to be cut:

cut tree.png
cut tree.png (6.55 KiB) Viewed 695787 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » January 26th, 2014, 8:52 am

Nice! :dixiehappy:

Fungi Forest was probably my favourite area in DK64, so I welcome the borrowing of its thematic elements for use in a game that would actually be fun to play. :P

I like the creative, resourceful, minimalist approach of "patching" graphics that are already in the DKC games to create new ideas.

:nicework:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby VideoViking » January 26th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Now that's something I never even thought of. Turn that into a walkable surface, and you can use that as a hiding place for items such as a DK Coin or extra life balloons, and (yes!) place Neckys for where they can toss their nuts from.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Simion32 » January 27th, 2014, 2:06 am

Perhaps it needs a knot to go along with the tree as well? :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks