Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Talk about Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U (and Switch!), developed by Retro Studios.

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze!

Postby The Winged Cap » August 12th, 2013, 6:01 am

Personally DKCR was the best platformer game I played since the original trilogy, which is saying a lot since I played a ton of platformers. Ultimately though, as much as I have my own "do's and don'ts" for the series, I'm completely fine with whatever happens to the games.

It all comes down to the fact that Nintendo makes the games, not us. They make great decisions, and have been for decades. I trust them with my favorite franchises since they birthed them in the first place.

If I'm THAT adamant about the Krem-Krems being in the game, I have three sets of amazing trilogies for SNES, GBA, and GBC that I can fall back on. If I want something a little different, I play DKCR or Jungle Beat (or for something ENTIRELY different: Donkey Konga).

We've got a ton to be thankful for with the way Nintendo has blessed it's fan base with Donkey Kong, I don't think we should be complaining to be honest. :thumbs:
Tourist
Bananas received 22

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 16th, 2013, 3:58 am

Nintendo hasn't blessed anyone with anything in a long, long time, let alone the modern Donkey Kong mythos. It's Rare you should be thanking. The fans don't owe Nintendo crap, and have the right to complain about whatever they want.

Sorry, not trying to be hostile, just saying.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2013, 12:31 pm

We had a release date! Tropical Freeze will be available in the US from December 6.

...but no longer. :facepalm:

DKC Atlas news report wrote:We finally have a date to put in our calendars; according to Nintendo World Report (and confirmed by many other sources), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has been given an official US release date of December 6.

Could this be the first DKC game to miss out on a November release? It's also going to be the first to feature HD graphics and 3+ playable Kongs (and is currently being priced $10USD cheaper than other Wii U titles), so perhaps an extra week or two of development time is forgivable.

Those who've yet to pick up a Wii U (such as myself) are in luck, too; Nintendo has just announced a $50USD price drop for the console coming next month... so if you've been holding out, it might be just about time to take the plunge.

A better look at that box art:

Just a few months to go:
[countdown=12/6/2013 9:00 AM]Time's up![/countdown].. and counting! :dixiecry:
Last edited by Qyzbud on October 12th, 2013, 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Strikethrough'd release countdown. :(
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze — out December 9!

Postby Super Luigi! » August 30th, 2013, 1:48 am

I absolutely love that cover art! Really, it's so beautiful and well-crafted, Nintendo and Retro should hang it in a Monkey Museum full of Ape Art! I'm seriously grinning from ear to ear and holding back tears at the mere sight of this novelty. On top of all this, the news that the game is $10 cheaper while the Wii U is going to be $50 less expensive is enough to convince me that I can make this dreamlike game a reality in my home. Thank you oh so very much Qyzbud for this update, and thank you Nintendo (I know your secret agents browse this Atlas. I've seen them!) and Retro for creating this game, marketing it wih a brilliant cover art (I've looked at it at least five times now while typing this post.) and price, and for making your Wii U sytem more affordable!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze — out December 9!

Postby CountryFan » August 30th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Indeed, DK looks a LOT better than on the cover of Returns.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze — out December 6th!

Postby The Winged Cap » August 31st, 2013, 3:25 pm

I agree with Super Luigi!, the cover art makes great use of the Wii U's blue box. I'll have to finish up Returns so I can convince myself the purchase.
Gotta get me them time attacks finished! :) :rant:
Tourist
Bananas received 22

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze — out December 6t

Postby Phyreburnz » August 31st, 2013, 4:37 pm

Don't get me wrong, the rendering is beautiful... but the cover seems to specifically showcase Diddy and Dixie as power ups and not their own separate characters...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby CaptainEddie » August 31st, 2013, 5:17 pm

In all fairness that's more or less how the game treats them, though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Qyzbud » August 31st, 2013, 7:14 pm

Yeah, it's a pretty 'honest' way to depict Diddy and Dixie (in this game's context), even if it's not how we really think they should be seen... :roll:

Do you guys really think the Tropical Freeze box art is nicer than DKCR's?

Spoiler!
ImageImage

Maybe it's just my love of jungles, but as nice as TF's art is, I far prefer the Returns box.

I guess you guys aren't big haters of the 'toothy grin', huh? :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby sonosublime » August 31st, 2013, 9:50 pm

Yes, yes. To be fair to Retro though, they have listened to a few of the fans' demands (Dixie, underwater levels, DAVID WISE). Maybe if we (god forbid) get a third game in this reboot series, they'll FINALLY listen to the complaints about lack of tag-team.

The boxart looks GREAT. It's a nice mix of tropical and ice (just like the name), and the Kongs look awesome (although DK looks like he's going to murder us in our beds). Although it would be nice to see some viking walruses looming in the background or something.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Kimi Kong » September 3rd, 2013, 11:04 am

:dixiehappy: Ok, Thats it!! I'm officially saving for a Wii U now!! December 6th is marked on my calender!! I'll sit outside of Wal-mart at midnight just to get my hands on the first copy of this game! B/
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Super Luigi! » September 3rd, 2013, 11:31 am

While I'm just as excited, I can't see myself going to the extremes that Kimi Kong will. Mostly because it's impossible for me to see myself without some sort of mirror.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 4th, 2013, 2:45 am

...I just can't decide if he looks more ridiculous with or without teeth.

Also, sorry guys, Tropical Freeze Dixie is hideous. I don't see why they had to abandon Rare's mostly perfect design. Even Paon Dixie wasn't that bad. Actually, now that I think about it, Mario Superstar Baseball was probably the best Dixie has looked outside of a DKC.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Super Luigi! » September 4th, 2013, 4:02 am

I have to agree with you there. Ever since DKC 2 & 3, Dixie just hasn't looked the same. Something about each of her designs just looks off, but i can't quite place it. Perhaps it's the eyes...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Mattrizzle » September 4th, 2013, 6:26 am

Also:
  1. Her eyelashes are different. The bottom ones were thinned out the top ones were lengthened. Never mind; Simion alluded to that.
  2. Her barely-visible earrings were replaced by big, turquoise balls.
  3. She no longer wears knee pads.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby sonosublime » September 4th, 2013, 1:07 pm

I don't think Tropical Freeze Dixie looks "hideous". In fact, I think it's her best look ever since Rare.

They both have their own charm. Although I do miss her knee-pads.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Super Luigi! » September 4th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Thanks Simion32 and Mattrizzle; that's probably what I saw missing. Oh, and sonosublime, both versions are acceptable to me, but I still think Rare's render looks better. The way Retro made her beret and face are the main problems for me.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » September 4th, 2013, 1:18 pm

She... she doesn't have toenails... :shock:

I agree with Super Luigi on her face... they changed it too much.

Honestly, I think she looks just about the same as this render (the rendered fur kind of looks like the only major difference, to me, at least at this very moment... haven't over-analyzed it, yet).

Not too familiar with this one... I think this render is from Barrel Blast.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » September 4th, 2013, 1:56 pm

OK, this is frightening. I see three different Dixies! One looks like my cousin, another is similar to Kimi Kong (not just her avatar, but how she ACTUALLY appears), and the last one reminds me of a brainy girl I used to know! Ahhhhhh!

So anyway, I like how we're all discussing Dixie Kong's proper look.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Mr.Diddy » September 7th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:She... she doesn't have toenails... :shock:

In Rare's render of Dixie, she doesn't even have five toes!

And now for some other differences about the Dixie Kongs:

1. Retro's Dixie Kong looks a bit fatter and less bony.

2. Retro's and Paon's Dixies have their shirts go lower than Rare's, and her cap looks more rounded.

3. Rare's Dixie Kong has has the most shaggy fur, Retro's has the most neat fur, and Paon's looks more like a jacket than anything and it's also the most red.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby It'sOnLikeDonkeyKong » September 13th, 2013, 8:20 am

I hope King K. Rapp...I mean King K. Rool is back!

As EriK.Rool? (Viking theme :P)

:thumbs:
Newcomer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 23rd, 2013, 1:09 am

When the f--- will there be news on this god damn game? Jesus Christ.

Also, does anyone here own a Wii U? I don't, and never plan on it, until the next Smash comes out and I have a few hundred dollars to blow. Until then there's still like zero effing games. Pikmin? Oh yeah, cool, awesome. Now that I think about it, all 8th gen consoles are shaping up to be crap regardless, but man Wii U effing sucks.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » September 23rd, 2013, 1:29 am

I don't have a Wii U, but I have a good friend that does. I did get to play it a few times and I have to say that the little mini game thing he had was pretty fun and very well designed for the system. He is disappointed about the lack of games and the price drop. He got his when the Wii U first came out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » September 23rd, 2013, 1:55 am

I have one, and yes there's a horrible lack of actual worthy games to play. :roll:

I can count the number of U games I have on one hand (precisely 5).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby CaptainEddie » September 23rd, 2013, 5:02 pm

I have one, and I love it. Does that also count digital games, Simion?

It's indeed lacking in games, but that'll change soon. I'm planning on picking up Tropical Freeze release day!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Super Luigi! » September 24th, 2013, 3:17 am

As am I, CaptainEddie. As am I. If I'm unable to do so, then there's still Christmas. Either I'll buy it, or someone else will.

On a side note, I personally hope Tropical Freeze is without medal challenges. I didn't like how they mocked me in Returns.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » September 24th, 2013, 2:05 pm

CaptainEddie wrote:Does that also count digital games, Simion?

I don't have any, so yes. :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby CaptainEddie » September 25th, 2013, 10:24 am

I figured! I prefer physical games myself, but I do have Earthbound and a few of the 30 cent games Nintendo offered.

But that's all the more reason to overcome them, SuperLuigi!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Super Luigi! » September 26th, 2013, 5:17 am

Not for me, CaptainEddie. I'd rather have a pass or fail medal system, than a (Shiny Pokemon) Gold, Silver, Bronze, None one. That sort of stuff, as you cultured brains say, defeats me and fills me with shame.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby The Winged Cap » September 30th, 2013, 5:18 am

I'm loving both boxarts! And sonosublime: I had no idea until now that Dixie had knee pads!! Can't believe I've never seen that until now!

I really have no problems with DCKR's box, I actually really love the whole "BACK IN DA JUNGLE!" thing it has going for it.
I just can't wait to hear some new David Wise tunes, I'm ecstatic for that tidbit.
Tourist
Bananas received 22

Postby Kiddy14 » October 2nd, 2013, 5:43 am

The delay's now confirmed. February 2014.

Tropical Freeze on nintendo.com

Maybe this way people can get a Wii U on Christmas and worry for the game until some time later =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby CaptainEddie » October 2nd, 2013, 11:24 am

Well, that bites...

But I guess that leaves room in my budget for Super Mario 3D World. :mario:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Qyzbud » October 2nd, 2013, 11:43 am

Well, it is a shame we'll have to wait longer, but if they were going to miss the traditional November release window anyway, they may as well have a couple extra months to get Kiddy's moves looking just right, dress up the Kremling krew in Viking attire, give Squitter and Expresso a new set of sneakers, etc, etc...

Yeah right. :P

Thanks for the news report, Kiddy14. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Blaziken257 » October 3rd, 2013, 1:35 am

Wow, that sucks that it's pushed back to February of next year. But I guess that's quite typical of video games these days. It certainly isn't going to help the very bad drought that the Wii U has been having. (What other games does it have right now, anyway? Last time I checked, it's selling far worse than even the GameCube did during this same time period. That's embarrassing.)

I was going to get a Wii U solely for this game, too. I still will get one, but it's going to be after Christmas now, and I don't think Nintendo wants to see sales after Christmas when that's usually the strongest shopping period of the year. Quite bad planning, don't you think?

But it will allow more time to polish the game... I guess? I hope so, anyway. And it will allow more time for me to play Pokémon X (at least when I'm not really focused into Animal Crossing: New Leaf, as I have been since June).

OK, I'm done ranting, since I got a little off topic there.

PS: Someone should update the topic title!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Super Luigi! » October 3rd, 2013, 2:47 am

I just had a (not-so-random) thought. What if Tropical Freeze gets released on the sixth anniversary of DKC Atlas? Both occasions are set for February, correct? If this is the case, then the wait is acceptable even more so in my opinion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze — delayed!

Postby CaptainEddie » October 3rd, 2013, 2:47 pm

I don't know, that December 6 release date was lookin' real nice for me- it just so happens to be the day classes end for this semester at my university.

The timing would've been perfect.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze — delayed 'til Feb

Postby Super Luigi! » October 4th, 2013, 12:47 pm

True, true. It also would have given me a reason to purchase a system, but such is life in the... awww, never mind.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Qyzbud » October 4th, 2013, 6:37 pm

There's not much to see just yet, but Nintendo's Donkey Kong site has been given a Tropical Freeze makeover. :)

Super Luigi! wrote:What if Tropical Freeze gets released on the sixth anniversary of DKC Atlas?

Hey, there's a thought... that would be an amazing coincidence! Either way, it looks like we're heading toward the most important February since the Atlas first launched. :D

Blaziken257 wrote:PS: Someone should update the topic title!

Done! ...a few days ago, shortly after you suggested it. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby [KJ]StErOiDs » October 5th, 2013, 12:02 am

From a game-play perspective I'm not too disappointed in the delay, since I won't own a Wii U for quite some time. Plus, this gives the developers extra more time to polish up the game and add a lost world.

But nevertheless, this delay may in turn delay more hints into that...fourth character. GRRRRR! I'm just dying to find out who that is! :mrgreen:
Newcomer
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » October 9th, 2013, 9:55 am

Have you guys seen the new Dixie Kong/giant cheese wheel trailer yet?

The game's looking good. :dixiehappy:

Some screenshots from the trailer:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
MORE!
Spoiler!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Qyzbud on October 9th, 2013, 10:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Added some screenshots from the trailer
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » October 9th, 2013, 2:56 pm

No, I haven't, so thank you for sharing! I approve of the game's appearance as well, and I hope this game turns out to be as superb as I think it will be. One last note, this trailer's music seemed to fit the mood perfectly for me.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Qyzbud » October 9th, 2013, 5:09 pm

The music does feel fun and fitting... does anyone else get a slightly Diddy Kong Racing vibe from it?

I've noticed another video posted by IGN earlier today:

In this camera-filmed video, you can see some minecart action in a level called "High Tide Ride", which shows off the dynamic camera aspect of Tropical Freeze. :)

IGN also mentioned the following storyline insight:

Jose Otero of IGN wrote:Outcast from Donkey Kong Island by anthropomorphic enemies in boats called the Snomads, our hero has to travel across six islands in order to reclaim his land.

Snomads, eh? Interesting name... a portmanteau pun — or punmanteau, as I like to call it — very nice! :D

Edit: I've added dozens of screenshots to my post above. :dixiehappy:
Edit 2: IGN have posted gameplay videos for three more levels:
Last edited by Qyzbud on October 10th, 2013, 8:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Indicated incorrect level names in IGN videos
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze — Dixie Kong traile

Postby sonosublime » October 10th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Those levels look really nice. I especially liked the music in the ice level. Dixie is looking awesome, and the gumball popgun is a nice addition. And High Tide Ride looks like a crazy fun level.

I'm also glad they took the whole Spiny/Klampon concept and translated it over to penguins with horned helmets and spears. I'm pretty sure that was a concept that was missing in DKCR.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Qyzbud » October 10th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Pinchleys (the tougher crab baddies of DKCR) somewhat filled that role; but I'd have to agree they're not quite the same as Klaptraps/Klampons/Krimps or Spinies/Bristles, which require only one strategic hit to defeat.

It will be nice to have baddies with these specific defensive means back to tussle with. :)

Edit: here are IGN's four latest Tropical Freeze videos — now embedded for convenience!

They're small on page, so as to be unobtrusive, but go ahead and click the fullscreen button at the bottom right if you want to take a closer look at the action!

The graphics, sound (D. Wise FTW!) and gameplay are all looking/sounding great!

It has also been confirmed that there's no need to waggle to roll! :thumbs:

Lots to be happy about. :dixiehappy:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Sockpuppet » October 28th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Something kind of interesting I noticed about the balloon level video (the one labelled 'Aqueduct Assault") is that the music actually changes as DK progresses through the level - once as he's riding on the rising balloon and once directly after the section. It's not new to the series (Rambi Rumble and Screech's Sprint in DKC2, and a few minecart and temple levels in Returns had an ambient track at the start before the main tune kicked in) but it hasn't happened exactly like this before either. Sorry, it's kinda hard to explain what I mean. :lol:

Speaking of music, that new mine cart song sounds a lot like Brothers Bear. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same chord progression.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Qyzbud » October 29th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Interesting... I must admit I hadn't specifically picked up on the Alpine Incline music progression. Sometimes with gameplay videos like these (where I'm not overly familiar with the tunes yet) I wonder if what we're hearing is just how the music composition naturally progresses, or if it's responding to the actions of the gamer. For the most part, I'm not sure here... but I would definitely agree that the balloon release scene features its own musical movement.

And wow, I didn't pick the minecart music's Brothers Bear likeness... but I sure do hear it now. O_O

Good ears indeed, my friend. :banana:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Postby Qyzbud » November 23rd, 2013, 6:42 pm

Has everyone seen the latest DKCTF reveal? GameTrailers.com have an episode of "GT.TV" that shows some nice new footage. There's coverage of other games in the mix, and plenty of facetime (and forecasting of Nintendo's future) with Reggie Fils-Aime, but thankfully the Tropical Freeze content is fairly prominent.

Here's a (reduced quality) clip starting at the good bit:

...and here's the full-length, high quality video.
Hot tip: There's a bit of chatter at the start of the full video, so — if you like — skip to 5:25 for the DKC goodness. B/

There's not a whole lot in the way of reveals, but the gameplay is looking good, and a teamwork ability called "Kong Pow" is shown off.

We also have two new level names — "Jelly Jamboree" and "Homecoming Hijinxs".

Still no sign of Kiddy (or any fourth playable character), but it's certainly worth a look. :dixiehappy:
Last edited by Qyzbud on November 23rd, 2013, 10:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Scrapped the GameTrailers embed, as it was unreliably auto-playing... -_-
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Postby Qyzbud » December 3rd, 2013, 12:34 pm

Have you guys seen the latest boxart? It's looking as though Cranky will be the fourth playable Kong!

cranky-playable-in-tropical-freeze.jpg
cranky-playable-in-tropical-freeze.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 171170 times

Full image in spoiler:
Spoiler!

I'm not overly surprised, but it does feel like a bit of a shame not to have another "new" SNES-era Kong return to the series (Cranky was already in 'Returns, and there was a distinct lack of other Kongs in that game...), but it'll be great to finally have the old ape take on a playable role in a DKC game. And hey, we've got Dixie, too. :dixiehappy:

"It's about time I got a chance to show up those lazy layabouts!" :rant:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

PreviousNext

Return to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze