Donkey Kong Island [fan game]

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Chaos [fan game]

Postby Simion32 » July 3rd, 2013, 4:50 am

Why the heck aren't you talking with Cyclone instead of doing that ridiculous rubbish? :roll:

He has already offered to do this (rendering) part of the work for you, so have him do it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » July 3rd, 2013, 8:42 am

Please be patient. I have a lot of projects on the go. Not to mention I said I needed permission to use zinger in another project. Luckily I asked and got permission so all is good. :)

Edit: Also I said before that I would like my work presented in the best quality possible(within reason) 8-)

Edit2:
zinger with transparent background. Enjoy!
http://rapidshare.com/files/1363946282/forBones.zip
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 3rd, 2013, 12:32 pm

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! :diddyrock: YES!!!! Now if I could just get that Gnawty and Slippa I would be all set :) Thanks again!!!!!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Cyclone » July 14th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Were you able to use the files. If so lets see some progress in your engine! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 15th, 2013, 6:07 am

Hey Cyclone. Actually in response to your question about your Zinger graphics you provided me, I have kind of strewed away from your stuff right now, the reason being when I used your Zinger in my game I noticed the game renders the sprite with a semi transparent outline that is visible in game. I can't figure out how to remove that. Your animated tree that I ripped from your flash video however has a small BLACK outline that is not noticeable at all due to the fact that ITS BLACK. It looks like it is supposed to be rendered in that way. This is why I asked you for frames with an all black background, any black pixels that are lost within the image can be restored easily in multimedia fusion. I am currently doing a lot of sprite work for this game. I am trying to prepare a trailer for the game if not today within the next couple of days. The things to look for in this trailer will be the Cyclone Zinger (so you can see what I was talking about) the cyclone Gnawty on a wheel, Necky (who will fly towards the screen attacking the kongs coming from the background) Manky Kong (custom made by me!!!!) Cat O 9 Tails (this guy is holding me up a little right now) Krusha, Klump, Kritter, maybe a Klaptrap, my custom Kremling Krawler and his 2 cousins Klimber and Kaput. And of course DK's animations as well as the level concepts of Jungle hijinks and the beach level. For now I will say that yes Cyclone I will be using your Zinger but I really wish I had those frames with an all black background. I also wanted your Slippa and Gnawty walk and respectively slither cycles? any help there?
for now I leave you all with sprites for Necky
Image Classic style Necky
Image New style Necky coming from background flying towards screen!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Cyclone » July 15th, 2013, 7:31 am

I know the outline you speak of. I could try rendering to tiff/tga. I will try that with a sample frame later. If that doesn't work for you i will do the black. however zinger has lots of black. no sure how you will separate the background from him though.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 15th, 2013, 7:58 am

Cyclone wrote:I know the outline you speak of. I could try rendering to tiff/tga. I will try that with a sample frame later. If that doesn't work for you i will do the black. however zinger has lots of black. no sure how you will separate the background from him though.

I will have to see..... maybe you could try rendering to .tga. I'm sure I can do it with an all black background. I'm thinking it will actually create a black outline around the zinger. I did also notice the hairs seem to poke out a little too much. any chance you can do a frame dump without that hair?
Also what about slippa and Gnawty?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 16th, 2013, 7:25 pm

This is not the trailer I'm working on for the game this is simply a video of everything seen before in the Donkey Kong Land Returns concept video with adjustments and improvements such as Cyclone's Zinger and Trees and the smash bros brawl DK. This is just to show off a little bit of what to expect. When I finish making the trailer the picture will become a lot more clear of what to expect
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 17th, 2013, 5:18 am

Fixed the up smash animation for all of you I know are going to point that out
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby EvangeliKong » July 17th, 2013, 6:43 pm

No offense, but DK looks like it was ripped from Brawl.
However, i think DK needs a turning animation and more advanced jumping animation, if you want to use Rare's way.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 20th, 2013, 8:27 am

Image Zinger by Cyclone
Image Kritter
Image Krusha
Image Klaptrap

Youtube Video of improved animations. Dk Cleaned up, no longer looks ripped enhanced jumping animation. These are HQ sprites.

Still to come in next video: Klump, Manky Kong, Cat O' Nine tails, Robo Kritter, Cosmic Kong, and Krawler..... oh yeah and Dixe Kong will be in next video as well.

Feedback people, does DK look too tall? kind of stretched? if so I can fix that.

Edit----- keep in mind that all of the Kremlings have a generic death as of right now and it's the same. This will not be the case in the final game each one will have a different death sequence example: Krusha will get mad and turn red running faster and then when you deliver second thwomp on the head he will fly off screen, the kritter and the Klaptrap will also fly off screen with death animations. just didn't implement those yet, they are already made.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Simion32 » July 20th, 2013, 1:32 pm

The video doesn't work: "This video is unavailable." :|
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 20th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Simion32 wrote:The video doesn't work: "This video is unavailable." :|

yeah..... sorry about that, I uploaded the video but I left for work and trusted my girlfriend with it and she never clicked the last thing where it asks you do you want youtube to stabilize the video for shakiness. (it always says that. don't know why) anyway, the video is fixed and up now
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » July 21st, 2013, 9:30 am

I agree, though Krusha looks a little bit too much like a blue Kritter with spikes on its head. Also, are your Zingers supposed to be crazed hornets of doom, because that's what their facial expression tells me. Mind you, I think both of these sprites (models?) look fine, but my opinion is far from most others. Nice progress by the way; keep it up!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 22nd, 2013, 7:37 am

I was really hoping for some feedback from Qyzbud, Simion32 and Cyclone regarding my video. I wanted to know if DK looked too tall/stretched. Regarding your feedback Super Luigi, Krusha is a blue Kritter with spikes on his head but I did several things to differentiate him from Kritter.First and most important his walk is different second his skin texture and face are differnt. Third he has Krusha's outfit and last but not least as you mentioned he has spikes on his head. I'm not sure what else to do. any ideas? As for you comment regarding the Zinger, Cyclone designed him not me. I just sprited him out with his permission of course and his help.I will say I absolutely love the Zinger and all of Cyclones' work. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Soniccuz » July 22nd, 2013, 9:06 am

For Krusha I think it's in the animation that looks a bit off. If his top half were a little more animated, like his arms and torso swivelled with his hips a litte?

How are the jumping mechanics looking, and will we get to see them put to the test in the next video? (Was recently ironing out jumping mechanics so, I'm unaturally invested in those physics right now)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Phyreburnz » July 23rd, 2013, 5:06 am

I've been meaning to comment on this for a while. I do have a few suggestions for you. I think you need a few more frames when he is done attacking. It's like it jumps immediately from the clapping thing to walking sideways. Also, having DK jump off of the enemies will help. He just kinda squishes them...

As far as the Krusha/Kritter thing, I think that Kritter needs to slim down a bit. He looks too buff to me. Maybe you can have Krusha walk with his arms at his side, but he's showing off his muscles.

Also, are you still planning to include four playable characters?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 23rd, 2013, 5:42 am

I was thinking the same thing about Kritter and Krusha. Exactly what you said Kritter is a bit too buff. I think I can fix that.
as far as the playable characters here's what I was thinking. Having a player select at the start of the game, but heres how it works.
you will select teams of Kongs at the begining of the game. Team 1 will be Team DKC (Donkey and Diddy) Team 2 Will be Team DKC2 (Diddy w/backwards hat and shades and Dixie) Team 3 will be Team 64 (Lanky and Tiny) Team 4 will be Team Tropical Freeze (Funky and Dixie) These will be the ONLY teams available normally and each team will have its own set of levels for that team, so it will be like 4 games in one. Now I was also planning to have a team CRANKY where you have to do something special to unlock and this team will be able to play all levels from the other 4 teams. This idea I like better than the transformation barrels. thoughts?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Phyreburnz » July 23rd, 2013, 6:39 am

That does sound like an interesting idea. I'm unsure of how exactly this can be pulled off so that it can be fully playable with each character. I'm sure that it can be done, it's just going to be difficult. Something that may be another idea would be more of a setup like Mario Bros 2 where you can select a character (or in this case, a team) at the beginning of the level.

You might have to explain a bit more, but I can't understand why somebody would want to play the same exact game just with different characters... maybe with one other team, but not like four. That seems a bit excessive to me. How could you make it like four different games with the same level setup? Or will you have slight level changes for each team?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 23rd, 2013, 6:57 am

well yes, here's an example. The levels for let's say Team 64 would require one to stretch his arms or inflate himself to pass the level (lanky) and in other areas will need to shrink yourself (tiny) DK and Diddy will never see this level so those skills will not be needed for them as their route on DK Isle will differ from team 64's path.

Another example would be Team DKC2 would have levels that would require the team up ability's of Diddy and Dixie AND their levels would also be more DKC2 themed (pirates, Kremling Kuthroats).

Basically each team will have their own set of levels unique to that set team. (talking gameplay)

This will also allow me to write 4 different stories if I want to. I like this because I can include different themes as well. For instance Team DKC 2 will have a pirate/ Kaptain K. Rool story and themed levels and Team DKC will have an army/King K. Rool theme

And I have no idea really how to do the special team Cranky just yet. I just really want him to be playable and unlock-able because he's cool.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 23rd, 2013, 7:10 am

I have even been thinking of doing a super secret Master quest called KREMLING CHAOS where you would play as the tag team of King K. Rool and Krusha and you would navigate through the same levels but the enemies would be replaced by Kongs and animal buddies, with the end boss being DK. This would also enable animal BADDIES such as the Zinger and Screech to become ride-able buddies..... This master quest of sorts would only be available if you collect all 40 DK coins with the other 4 teams.

EDIT--------
Who here thinks the game would be better just with DK, Diddy and Dixie? This idea would do away completely with Lanky and Funky being playable characters it would do away with the 4 separate paths and I could make Diddy and Dixie tag along with DK simultaneously. (3 Kongs on screen at once) Which has never been done before.

I would still have secret characters such as Cranky and K. Rool as well as a lost world. I'm thinking this would make the game more like the SNES games plus doing something new at the same time.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 23rd, 2013, 4:58 pm

Wild Hijinks Nights CONCEPT LEVEL

Lol Dumb Drum :p
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » July 24th, 2013, 12:48 pm

I really do like that level's design, and from what I can see, I think Krusha looks better. For some reason, your screenshots just give me the urge to laugh uncontrollably. However, I don't think it's because your game looks horrible. Instead, it's probably because of how much is going on in your screenshots.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 30th, 2013, 4:53 am

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!! I JUST UPGRADED TO 3DS MAX STUDIO 2010 from 2008!!!!! So what does this mean for DKC:KC you might ask? well it means I will be doing a lot more stuff with 3D models and my sprites will be of a much higher quality! Here is my T-Modeled Dixie Kong that will be in the game! (Brawl hack exported via Brawl Box)

In other news: Manky Kong's sprites are completely finished and Klump is coming along quite nicely!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby sonosublime » July 30th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Dixie looks amazing! Although Klump and Manky might need some more work.

Also, I'm not sure how exactly you plan to incorporate the 3D elements into the game. Do you have to wait until the enemy is on the same 'layer' as you to be able to jump on them? That might be difficult to judge. I also think the HUD is a little crowded for a DKC game, but that's just my opinion.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 1st, 2013, 11:18 am

IT'S ALIIIIIIVE IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! I FINALLY GOT EXPRESSO ANIMATED!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Expresso Running Animation

Expresso Idle Animation
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » August 1st, 2013, 1:31 pm

Calm down, Baron K. Roolenstein. Yes, Dixie Kong and your animations for Expresso look very well done, and Klump and Manky Kong might need some more work. I shall eagerly await your next update!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Qyzbud » August 1st, 2013, 2:48 pm

Yeah, nice job on the walk cycle, but I think the movement looks a little too... human. :huh:

Having his feathers swing like arms is probably the main issue!

Still, great progress. :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 1st, 2013, 10:22 pm

Dixie Swimming Animation

DKC 2 Style Diddy Kong Swimming

As for the feedback regarding Klump and Manky Kong:
Regarding Klump: Yes I am doing him over from scratch in 3DS MAX 2010
Regarding Manky: Sorry folks, he's final. I like the differnt look and am very proud of him. You guys will see why when you see his animations :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Phyreburnz » August 2nd, 2013, 2:10 am

Very nice swimming animations. I have a few suggestions for each Kong's animations, though. Dixie is looking down, and I think her head needs to be looking forward. Duffy's tail is straight up and I think it should be behind him. Also, I noticed that Diddy's arms go into his face a little bit. Other than that, the look great!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 2nd, 2013, 3:19 am

Ah I didn't notice Dixie's hand IS going into her face!!!! Cool thanks for pointing that out! I can fix that, her arms aren't moving out far enough. As for her direction she is facing I tried arcing her head a little and got a really fat face effect on her, but I think if I position all of the kongs in this new position (see Funky's video below) it will look nicer! Als I already knew about Diddy's tail, I am fixing it now so he has a more curly motion to it, also I think I can make Dixie's hair sway a little bit. I will upload tonight after I revise them, in the meantime check out Funky and The Kritter Goalie from Super Mario Strikers!!!!

Funky Swimming Animation

Kritter Goalie Swimming

Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Cyclone » August 2nd, 2013, 7:01 am

Question... did these models come pre-rigged or did you rig them?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » August 2nd, 2013, 9:20 am

Phyre wrote:Duffy's tail is straight up and I think it should be behind him.

What? There's a Duffy Kong now? :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » August 2nd, 2013, 9:25 am

Cyclone wrote:Question... did these models come pre-rigged or did you rig them?

Yeah, I'm curious about your process, too. :)

Modelling, rigging, texturing and animating are all tricky and time consuming to do well, and what you're producing is really nice.

Simion wrote:What? There's a Duffy Kong now?

I was wondering the same thing! :lol:
We have to cut Phyre some slack, though; autocorrect can be cruel, and this forum isn't very mobile-friendly at the moment... but rest assured I'm working on that! :geek:

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:I JUST UPGRADED TO 3DS MAX STUDIO 2010 from 2008!!!!!

Y'know, 2014 is just around the corner... :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 2nd, 2013, 3:23 pm

Good questions guys all good questions. Allow me to explain my wonders I have worked here in the last couple of days. Cyclone, as you already know a .obj file is only a mesh, it contains no bones, no type of rig. The Expresso model from brawl is .obj so a rig had to be made. now, the swimming models worked a little differnt. DKC2 Diddy, Dixie and Funky are all hacked models created for brawl, I merely exported them to .dae format (via Brawl Box) and then opened them in 3DS Max. Now once in 3DS max they did have bones and rigging (their brawl rigging) however I didn't keep them. No I then exported them to .obj format with .mtl files. Why? Because I made one rig!!!!! same swimming rig on all the models, once I converted the .dae files to .obj files I basically turned them into inanimate meshs. Now I made rigging for a .obj mesh only model. It works. Best part is I use the same rig on all four of the swimming models just tweak them to each characters size and stuff when doing the animations. Big time saver. Now the Kritter model from Mario Strikers DID come downloaded with a rig. This is not a brawl hack this model is actually from Mario Strikers, however I did the same and converted it into mesh only format and applied the same exact rig for the Kongs. This seems like a lot of useless work but as you can see with my results it's not! It is a huge time saver!!!!! Why does this work so good for me you may ask? Why do I choose to do the models this way? Easy, I can create a model from scratch in a T pose without really doing much work just apply my premade rig and it's ready to go! As a matter of fact if Cyclone for example gave me a T posed model of the Gnawty (WITH NO RIGGING! MESH ONLY) I could reproduce his walk cycle myself!!!!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 3rd, 2013, 2:49 am

Diddy Improved Swimming Animation

Gangnam Style Diddy Animation

Gangnam Style Expresso Animation

Diddy Cartwheel Animation

Diddy Walk Cycle

Diddy Hiphop Dance (level clear) :diddyrock:

The following video is not my video, it's somebody elses, I am placing it here because I would like to know has anyone dumped all the different versions of Diddy's rap? I would like to make a remix using the different variations of his outro for his outro in my game
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Cyclone » August 3rd, 2013, 4:11 am

These are all good animations(Way better then I can do). They are very fluent. DK's Swim cycle looks better now. :thumbs:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » August 3rd, 2013, 7:14 pm

Hah! Those are fun. :)

Any idea who did the animations?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 5th, 2013, 7:56 am

Dixie Ponytail Spin Animation

Guitar Dixie

Improved Swimming Animation

Dixie Walk Cycle

How do you like me now??????
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Kimi Kong » August 5th, 2013, 12:17 pm

I am not gonna lie, this looks so fresh!! I'm not kidding, is there a beta i can play?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 5th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Kimi Kong wrote:I am not gonna lie, this looks so fresh!! I'm not kidding, is there a beta i can play?

Not yet, I will upload a demo as soon as I have worked out enough bugs and glitches for the community to start testing it. IT WILL BE SOON though so keep following my posts. Expect a DKC fangame heavily influenced by the first 2 DKC games. (they were my favorite)

No kiddy kong in my game folks sorry
:kiddywave:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Kimi Kong » August 5th, 2013, 2:11 pm

I did, however, noticed in the Diddy Gangnum Style animation that Diddy's jaw/chin seemed to moved either with his arm or just off. Thats the only thing i saw wrong.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Qyzbud » August 5th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:How do you like me now??????

Well... they're nice animations, but you haven't shared who created the movement for them!

Most of them look like 'stock animations' — very smooth and well-made, but not very 'in-character' for the Kongs... did you get them from the 'net somewhere?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 5th, 2013, 3:34 pm

I did get the dancing animations from the net yes. once applied to my rig they merely had to be adjusted to each character's size.

each rig has only 8 joints. It's a very basic rig actually.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » August 5th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Kaptain K. Rool

The rum's gone.... Why is the rum always gone? You forgot one very important thing mate.....KAPTAIN K. ROOL!!!!!!
I think I will be doing all of the pirate themed Kremlings for this game too. After all they were the best! Savy mate?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » August 7th, 2013, 8:43 am

I'll make this short and sweet, so as to not waste any more of your time than I have to. All of your work, I love. No Kiddy is a disappointment, but I will be able to accept it. Kap'n K. Rool is awesome. One last question, do you ever go crazy while animating these models? For example, do they ever talk to you?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » August 8th, 2013, 7:19 am

Simion32 wrote:
Phyre wrote:Duffy's tail is straight up and I think it should be behind him.

What? There's a Duffy Kong now? :P

:facepalm: :kiddysad: :shakehead: :dixiecry:

Ugh... sorry about that...

Jeffrey_Bones, your animations look absolutely fantastic! I'm so excited to see more!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks