DK in new Smash Bros.

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

DK in new Smash Bros.

Postby The Winged Cap » June 12th, 2013, 2:48 am

The Smash Bros. Dojo is back online with footage, screenshots and artwork from this mornings newly announced Smash Bros.
http://www.smashbros.com/us

DK returns as an original roster character, and is looking good on both Wii U and 3DS versions of the game. :thumbs:
Tourist
Bananas received 22

Re: DK in new Smash Bros.

Postby Soniccuz » June 12th, 2013, 10:40 am

This is new avatar material.

From the profile picture his model looks quite shaggy this time out. Don't really notice it in the other images though.

In other news the blue bomber makes his long over due appearance. :D
Animal crossing villager, and WiiFit Trainer (who'd of thought?) are potentially intresting as well.

Hoping King K. makes it in.

Gameplay Demo Footage Yes:
http://youtu.be/qJmzalIXRKw
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby The Winged Cap » June 12th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Never would've thought Wii Fit Trainer would be an actual roster character. Thanks Sakurai for making a dream I didn't even know I had a reality.XD
Tourist
Bananas received 22

Postby Qyzbud » June 13th, 2013, 12:15 am

What a shaggy beast! :D

I love the fur in that render Soniccuz posted, but I think his skin looks a bit fake — or 'bland' — in comparison. It's not too big a deal, it just looks a bit odd with such beautifully rendered fur, and such plain looking skin. :|

There are some nice in-game shots up of the big guy — this one I'm particularly fond of:

What a winner. :swanky:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Mr.Diddy » June 13th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I love the fur in that render Soniccuz posted, but I think his skin looks a bit fake — or 'bland' — in comparison. It's not too big a deal, it just looks a bit odd with such beautifully rendered fur, and such plain looking skin. :|

It looks like the texture for his skin is just a solid color with some shadows on it. It would be nice if they took the time to make a decent skin texture. :roll: By the way, I'am surprised nobody has started a topic about the new Super Smash Bros game in the Super Smash Bros section. (I'am not talking about the ones that are several years old of course)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Phyreburnz » June 14th, 2013, 1:01 am

I'd still love to see a Diddy-Dixie combo... something like ice climbers for the new SSB. My good buddy from school has a Wii U, so hopefully he'll get a copy and I'll get to play! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Soniccuz » June 14th, 2013, 8:22 am

I agree, think it would be interesting to see them as a tag team in refrence to the Country games. Still vaying for K. Rool first and foremost. He's easier to justify since we already have one chimp in the roster.The closest Smash has had to K. Rool in my mind is somewhere between Bowser, and Dedede.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby CountryFan » June 14th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Soniccuz wrote:moderator removed quote. please don't quote whole posts.

Can't say I'm too fond of his fur job either, but still way better than Jungle Beat!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 15th, 2013, 2:32 am

His fur is alright (Sakurai said they've intentionally gone with a "primary colors" look for this game) but his facial expressions are god-awful. I prefer the scowling badass from Brawl.

Also: keep Diddy and Dixie separate. I don't want more than one team-up besides the Ice Climbers, it would ruin their uniqueness. And yes, I do main as Ice Climbers (along with several others.)

Tropical Freeze isn't exactly looking to help K. Rool's chances, but I hope he makes it. A LOT of people, not just Donkey Kong fans, want that bastard in.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Soniccuz » June 15th, 2013, 7:57 am

I actually like how his fur looks for the most part. Though I think they nailed it with his brawl model, so any big steps away from that will probably be looked down upon by me. I realize Tropical Freeze doesn't help K. Rool but, then again a lot of what Smash operates on is fan service so I think he still stands a chance. On the flip-side Dixie's odds are looking up actually. :dixiehappy:

The tag team a lot of people seem to have in mind is more in line with the Zelda/Shiek transformation, Two characters you can switch between, and the Ice Climbers always work as one unit. If they can make her work as a seprate character I'm all for that. I'd just like the option to bring both of them to the same battle.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 17th, 2013, 5:18 am

Soniccuz wrote:The tag team a lot of people seem to have in mind is more in line with the Zelda/Shiek transformation, Two characters you can switch between, and the Ice Climbers always work as one unit. If they can make her work as a seprate character I'm all for that. I'd just like the option to bring both of them to the same battle.

Except that makes no sense whatsoever, since Diddy and Dixie are not the same character. Nintendo, because you are clearly reading this: keep them separate.

And hey, how 'bout that Wii Fit Trainer, huh?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » June 17th, 2013, 5:29 am

I dunno... the Wii fit trainer seems like a stretch to me. I'd rather see a real game character.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 17th, 2013, 5:55 am

Nintendo didn't exactly have a lot of humanoid females in their roster, so I'm not ragequitting yet. The only other casual-type character I'd be okay with is Miis, MAYBE. After that I want definitively non-shitty characters.

Oh, but Jigglypuff has to be back too.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Soniccuz » June 18th, 2013, 6:56 am

That echos my feelings about Wii Fit Trainer.

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Except that makes no sense whatsoever, since Diddy and Dixie are not the same character.

How the hell does that make no sense? Because they don't have to be the same character to tag out like that.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 18th, 2013, 7:10 am

Soniccuz wrote:
Tiptup Jr. wrote:Except that makes no sense whatsoever, since Diddy and Dixie are not the same character.

How the hell does that make no sense? Because they don't have to be the same character to tag out like that.

Because Zelda TRANSFORMS into Sheik; they are actually the same character (as per Ocarina of Time.) I assume you're suggesting a method where the secondary Kong is visible but cannot actually do anything or take damage unless you switch to them. I dunno, seems redundant to me.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Soniccuz » June 18th, 2013, 11:12 am

I know technically they're the same character I was referring to the fact that as far as Smash is concerned Shiek is her own character, with a wholly unique moveset and fighting style. Basically Zelda is two fighters in one, with about 7 specials about 16 normal moves as oppose to the standard 4 and 8, if I'm counting right,
and, Yes, that was the method. Visually similar to the Ice Climbers but, as you said having no affect on battle and being more in line with the Zelda/Shielk dynamic.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby sonosublime » July 20th, 2013, 11:41 am

I reckon it would be pretty awesome to be able to tag-out between DK, Diddy and (hopefully) Dixie. It would be a clever nod to the SNES games. And besides, Zelda already does something similar with Shiek, so why not?

I never played Brawl, so how exactly does the pokemon trainer work? Is he an actual character, or does he allow you to switch between Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Squirtle or something?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby CountryFan » July 20th, 2013, 11:50 am

Switch between Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Lucario are separate characters.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Return to Gaming Discussion