DKC-Related Custom Animations

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC-Related Custom Animations

Postby Qyzbud » October 12th, 2012, 5:48 pm

Nice, the *fixed* one looks really good. I'll have a go at modifying your earlier animation, but I can't promise good results!

Will post any progress as soon as possible. :geek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Geno » October 17th, 2012, 8:57 am

Those plane turning gifs have a very weird quality thing/problem going on.

The sprite looks WAAAAY too dithered (not the parts you edited, the whole plane itself).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Simion32 » October 17th, 2012, 9:02 am

That's because it's a GIF file. The program that saved it probably sucks at saving it with a good palette. :facepalm:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » October 27th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Okay, this should have been done a while ago... I fixed the order of the Dixie on ledge animation. I had to record her animation on my gba emulator to make sure I got the order correct. I'm going to reupload the PSD in DKLB animation submissions.

dixie-on-ledge-animation-order-fixed.gif
dixie-on-ledge-animation-order-fixed.gif (31.6 KiB) Viewed 226417 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » November 14th, 2012, 7:13 am

Here is what I have for the jump puffs (cloud and dust):

cloud-puffs-and-dust-puffs.gif
cloud-puffs-and-dust-puffs.gif (13.06 KiB) Viewed 226345 times

If the dust isn't quite the right colour, I can change it. I'm going to upload the zipped PSD into DKLB animation submissions.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » November 15th, 2012, 10:39 am

This one might be difficult to add into a game. I've made a test animation of Diddy running in the clouds and for that, I made the clouds puff every time he put his feet to the ground. It will probably be most helpful for people to download the PSD and look at the animation I have for it and when the puffs go up. I can do this for all four Kongs.

I tried making the clouds just look like they move backward, but it didn't look as good as when they just puffed from impact of the feet.

run-on-clouds.gif
run-on-clouds.gif (19.63 KiB) Viewed 226331 times

I'll be uploading each animation of each Kong in the DKLB animation submission thread. This way, you guys (if you want to use it) can figure out when and where to put the puffs. I really have no idea how this would translate in-game.

Here is Dixie on clouds:
run-on-clouds-dixie.gif
run-on-clouds-dixie.gif (19.25 KiB) Viewed 226329 times

DK:
run-on-clouds-donkey.gif
run-on-clouds-donkey.gif (30.77 KiB) Viewed 226328 times

Kiddy:
run-on-clouds-kiddy.gif
run-on-clouds-kiddy.gif (18.13 KiB) Viewed 226326 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » November 28th, 2012, 11:56 am

Those running animations are looking pretty shnazzy :thumbs:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » February 3rd, 2013, 1:37 pm

I'm going back and fixing some of my edits that are a bit off... particularly the turning on Enguarde sprites, since he turns weird.

I've started with Diddy, just because. Does this look a bit more official than my last attempt? I'm still not sure I can get it to look as good as the other turning sprites.

diddy-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif
diddy-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif (11.42 KiB) Viewed 225976 times

*EDIT* I've fixed up Dixie's as well.

dixie-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif
dixie-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif (11.19 KiB) Viewed 225972 times

For reference, here are the old ones, again:

diddy-turning-on-enguarde.gif
diddy-turning-on-enguarde.gif (11.42 KiB) Viewed 225972 times

dixie-turning-on-enguarde.gif
dixie-turning-on-enguarde.gif (10.72 KiB) Viewed 225972 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Mattrizzle » February 3rd, 2013, 4:36 pm

One reason the Enguarde turning sprites look odd compared to the other turning sprites is that the animation is incorrect. Enguarde is unusual in that his animation has four unique frames--none are mirrored duplicates (all fish characters share this distinction). However, you are mirroring his sprite, which results in an odd head-bobbing motion. Also, you have the animation horizontally centered somewhere around Enguarde's tail, when in the games it is centered near the middle of his body.

This is how the animation should look:
enguarde_turning.gif
enguarde_turning.gif (3.93 KiB) Viewed 225970 times

Applying these changes to the Diddy animation yields the following:
diddy-enguarde_turn-edit.gif
diddy-enguarde_turn-edit.gif (6.35 KiB) Viewed 225970 times

Diddy disappears because one of Enguarde's frames is missing from your current GIF.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Phyreburnz » February 3rd, 2013, 4:45 pm

Thanks Mattrizzle. The Enguarde sheet I had was incomplete. I just checked back at TSR and updated it. Now I'll try to fix these animations... again! :facepalm:

*EDIT*
Okay! Let's try this again!

diddy-turning-on-enguarde-3.gif
diddy-turning-on-enguarde-3.gif (8.33 KiB) Viewed 225961 times

Now, how does that look? Better?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 4th, 2013, 5:49 am

OHere are Dixie, DK, and Kiddy turning on Enguarde.

dixie-turning-on-enguarde-3.gif
dixie-turning-on-enguarde-3.gif (8.23 KiB) Viewed 225951 times

dk-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif
dk-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif (10.14 KiB) Viewed 225951 times

kiddy-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif
kiddy-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif (9.46 KiB) Viewed 225951 times

I know it looks like they dip down in the middle of the animation, but that's because Enguarde's face dips down... I guess that's what happens when you try to turn and you're a floppy fish!I tried to keep his dorsal fin lined up with the Kongs' heads as best as I could.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cyclone » February 4th, 2013, 10:46 am

They look good. :thumbs: Could you fix the dipping down part of the animation?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » February 4th, 2013, 11:10 am

Darn those floppy fish! XD

They look much better, but surely it wouldn't be hard to minimise that dipping effect... Kiddy's animation looks great — maybe you could use that as a guide?

Keep up the excellent work. 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » February 4th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Okay, I think I've fixed it.

dk-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif
dk-turning-on-enguarde-2.gif (10.39 KiB) Viewed 225923 times

dixie-turning-on-enguarde-3.gif
dixie-turning-on-enguarde-3.gif (8.29 KiB) Viewed 225925 times

diddy-turning-on-enguarde-3.gif
diddy-turning-on-enguarde-3.gif (8.59 KiB) Viewed 225923 times

Since Qyz said Kiddy looked good, I didn't edit his.

Dixie, by far, looks the best. I may work on DK and Diddy for a little bit.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » February 4th, 2013, 2:52 pm

I agree that Dixie looks the best — much smoother turning.

They all look better now, but DK and Diddy are a bit shaky.

Good luck with any further smoothing efforts! :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: DKC-related animations

Postby Crammalamma » May 11th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:I made a mechanical Necky.

You'll need to reverse the animation because for some stupid reason, Tonberry2k put those sprites in the wrong order.
Same deal with the swimming Rambi.
Also, the Enguarde-and-Kong turning sprites look cool, they make me anticipate my upcoming field trip to the Baltimore Aquarium.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » May 12th, 2013, 5:26 am

Thanks, Crammalamma! I've fixed the order.

rambi-swimming-correct-order.gif
rambi-swimming-correct-order.gif (14.66 KiB) Viewed 225802 times

green-mechy-order-fixed.gif
green-mechy-order-fixed.gif (7.13 KiB) Viewed 225802 times

mecha-necky-fixed-order.gif
mecha-necky-fixed-order.gif (6.95 KiB) Viewed 225802 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » June 6th, 2013, 3:56 pm

It's been a while since I've done anything new.... I came up with an idea for factory levels... instead of just having ropes, why wouldn't the Kongs have to climb on wires? And what are wires without a little electricity?

The idea here is that once you get on the wire, you HAVE to go up, or you get zapped. I also know that usually wires are just black... but I thought that would be a little boring, so I changed the rope colours with those of the DKC1 factory floor. I think that makes it look wire-e enough...

sparking-wire.gif
sparking-wire.gif (7.06 KiB) Viewed 225737 times

This is just a side-note... I was thinking about trying my hand at modeling an animating again... except this time, I'm thinking about using actual modeling clay and doing stop motion with the figures, and then turning that into sprites. I think that would work well. I haven't gotten any clay or anything yet, I thought I'd just share my idea for now ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » June 6th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I never really thought of that, Phyre. You know, if you were to turn it sideways using RotSprite, the wire can even be used to climb longways, giving it a much more realistic experience. Or (in the case of my game), it can act as a solid physics line where the electricity is always active, and if you land on it/grab it/jump through it, you'll get immediately zapped.

*considers the wire rope and the charges it could deliver*
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » June 8th, 2013, 3:36 am

I didn't need rotsprite to rotate it. If you're doing simple rotations (90, 180), you can do it in photoshop without it blurring.

Here is a link to the normal vertical wire sheet, and here is a link to the horizontal wire sheet.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » June 8th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Great idea, Phyre! I'm sure you noticed the banana I gave you, but I felt it necessary to praise your brainchild in word form. ;)

I think the electrified-wire-as-rope concept is a really solid one; they could be used in factory/walkway settings, and perhaps others.

I'll share more thoughts as soon as possible!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » June 10th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Okay, so this is just a test. I got some modeling clay and I tested making a character swim. I'm going to re take pictures and redo the animation, I just wanted to show you guys what I'm attempting.

Here is Snorkl swimming. Again, this is just a test.
snorkl-swim-test.gif
snorkl-swim-test.gif (3.41 KiB) Viewed 225684 times

The little guy is just a bit too short, so in the next bit of pictures that I take, I'm going to make the sprites a little bit taller.

Here is my process. I've made a model, which doesn't need to be too detailed, since it'll be drastically scaled down, with a few different colours, and I took a few pictures of it to make it look like it is swimming. I took these pictures, got rid of the background, put them in order, and scaled them down. For me, this is WAY easier than attempting sculptris. I like tangible things when it comes to modeling!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » June 11th, 2013, 5:46 am

I think the electric wires would be good for the steel girder/scaffolding stages too. Maybe make some telephone poles to go with the theme, haha.

I like your clay model conversion, but I'm having some trouble reading what it's supposed to be. It's very tiny. The Duck float is a great touch though.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » June 11th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Okay, here is a larger version of Snorkl. I think these are the finished ones.

Now, I know that he only has the snorkel on one side of his head, but it seems silly to animate both the snorkel and non snorkel swimming sides, so when he turns, the snorkel turns too! :P

Here is his normal swim animation. I'm thinking he should maybe be a stable character, since he's obviously a bad swimmer.
snorkl-swim-fixed.gif
snorkl-swim-fixed.gif (6.33 KiB) Viewed 225648 times

Here is the turn animation.
snorkl-turn.gif
snorkl-turn.gif (6.21 KiB) Viewed 225651 times

Here is his death animation.
snorkl-die.gif
snorkl-die.gif (6.1 KiB) Viewed 225651 times

Let me know what you guys think.

Here is the sprite sheet. The sprite sheet is significantly lighter than my original animations. I changed the colours to make them brighter and more vibrant. I also have the colour palette.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » June 14th, 2013, 1:13 am

Thoughts, anyone? I'd like some feedback on whether or not you guys like this. Would you like me to animate it with the brighter colours?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » June 14th, 2013, 12:56 pm

I've gone ahead and made an animation of the other enemy that I really wanted to create, Skooba.

Please, give me some kind of feedback. It would be much appreciated.

swimming-skooba.gif
swimming-skooba.gif (5.78 KiB) Viewed 225623 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cyclone » June 14th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:Thoughts, anyone? I'd like some feedback on whether or not you guys like this. Would you like me to animate it with the brighter colours?

He is a little odd looking and it's hard to tell what exactly he is. He is holding a rubber duck right?

As for you latest animation. I think the movement and colours are much better. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » June 14th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Here is Snorkl with the lighter colours. I might still just completely end up redoing his model and animation.

snorkl-swim-lighter.gif
snorkl-swim-lighter.gif (7.14 KiB) Viewed 225618 times

He is a Kremling wearing one of those swimming donut things that's shaped like a rubber ducky. Sorta like this:

I still need to get my other lamp and find a better way to shoot the animations... it's such a pain selecting things in photoshop... very time consuming.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » June 14th, 2013, 8:53 pm

The lighter colours are a must — Snorkl looks much better now!

Just wondering, though... what's the point of the mask/snorkel if he's got the floatie? Surely his head's way above the water! :lol:

Skooba is a really cool idea, but the animation could be a bit more convincing. I like it so far, though!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » August 21st, 2013, 11:21 am

Well, I haven't done very much... or anything, for that matter, on the claymations....I may do more with that later, as time permits... and when I find a slightly easier way to do it. However, I do plan on making (for the moment) one more custom edited animation for each Kong. I have had the idea of including monkey bars as an additional way to get across gaps. My plans are to just slightly edit Kiddy and Diddy's horizontal rope sprites to make them grab monkey bars, instead and somehow, I'll edit the crap out of Dixie and DK's sprites and find ones that will work for that, too. I've worked on Diddy's but an animation isn't quite ready just yet. Diddy and Kiddy won't take much time, I don't think. It's DK and Dixie that may take a bit longer.

The monkey bars are finished and I do have a sprite sheet of them, but I don't plan on uploading them until I have everything done... I mean, why upload the item when nobody can use it yet, right?

Now I would love to animate some Kremling to swing across the bars, too. What I envision for the monkey bars is for a special move for Diddy since all of the other Kongs have their special thing that only they can do (DK's hand slap, Dixie's twirl, Kiddy's water bounce). What I am thinking for this is having monkey bars typically lead to some kind of special thing, be it an item or bonus. All of the Kongs can use the monkey bars, but only Diddy can attack on them. I was thinking of having him modify his cartwheel to grab onto the bars with his hands and feet, thereby killing the enemy in the way. I thought that would add a nice special ability for Diddy and a cool new feature. When I get Diddy's regular monkey bar animation done, I'll upload it. It may be a little while because I'm moving back to college this weekend.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » August 23rd, 2013, 2:43 am

Here is Diddy on the monkey bars. Next up for me to edit is Kiddy. Remember, these ones don't have very much editing other than the directions the hands face. Dixie and DK will be the difficult ones. These are easy because of their horizontal rope animations.

diddy-swimging-on-monkey-bars.gif
diddy-swimging-on-monkey-bars.gif (20.29 KiB) Viewed 225372 times

Ideally, the animation would be faster, but unfortunately, the frame rates don't save. I've had this problem before. I had it set to "no delay" and it looks better.

*EDIT* Here is Kiddy on the monkey bars.

kiddy-swinging-on-monkey-bars.gif
kiddy-swinging-on-monkey-bars.gif (20.71 KiB) Viewed 225368 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » August 23rd, 2013, 12:20 pm

Subtle edits, but very convincing. Great work! :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » August 23rd, 2013, 2:10 pm

I like them. Good job.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » August 24th, 2013, 3:00 am

There is quite a bit of editing in this one, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it as the "final" or if I'm going to edit some more... but for the time being, at least, here is DK on the monkey bars.

dk-swinging-on-monkey-bars.gif
dk-swinging-on-monkey-bars.gif (36.01 KiB) Viewed 225349 times

I think I am going to try to fix this one up some more... When his left arm is the one swinging, I think it looks fine, but I'm having a difficult time with his right...

*EDIT* Revised!

dk-monkey-bars-revised.gif
dk-monkey-bars-revised.gif (32.3 KiB) Viewed 225347 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » August 24th, 2013, 5:40 am

I'd say the second one is better, although DK seems to suddenly jerk forward when reaching with his right hand. If that issue is fixable, then your animation would look perfect to me after you do so.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » August 24th, 2013, 2:17 pm

I'm getting tunnel vision from working on this for so long... I need to take somewhat of a break, because I'm having a hard time being able to tell if I fixed all that much...

dk-monkey-bars-revised-2.gif
dk-monkey-bars-revised-2.gif (36.02 KiB) Viewed 225335 times

Okay, to me, his arms look pretty good. It does jump a little tiny bit, but I don't know how much more I can do (at least right now). His feet need some adjustments. There are two jumpy frames and I'm going to have to take some feet and replace the problematic ones.

I don't know, the more I look at it, the less problems I see! Feels like I'm going crosseyed! :shock:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » August 27th, 2013, 2:43 am

Okay... I think I've done it... I'm pretty sure I've ironed out all of the kinks. Let me know if you think it needs fixed more or if it looks good!

dk-monkey-bars-final.gif
dk-monkey-bars-final.gif (34.46 KiB) Viewed 225318 times

Also, it definitely looks better when viewed in the correct speed... As I've said before, the animation frame rates don't really upload correctly. Ideally, he would go a bit faster.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » August 28th, 2013, 1:45 am

Definitely smoother than the last version. The only minor problem I can see is that DK's left hand sort of falls onto the monkey bars. But then again, I would fall to if I let go. So personally, I'd say your animation is perfect.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » September 3rd, 2013, 9:50 am

I'm a bit stuck at the moment on Dixie. I'm having a hard time thinking of a preexisting animation to modify... I tried the Squawks one, but it doesn't work at all... not enough movement. I used DK's jumping frames to start out and then add in other things to make it work, but Dixie's don't look like they'd fit... I'm thinking maybe trying here skull cart hill frames next. I am still working on this and it may take a while. I just wanted to give a little bit of an update.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » September 20th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Okay, so I'm pretty damn proud of this so far. What I did is used Diddy's animation as a base and cut bits and pieces of Dixie's sprites that matched as closely as possible. I think this looks pretty damn good. I know there are a few problems, but I doubt I'd be able to fix ALL of them...

dixie-swinging-on-monkey-bars-with-hair.gif
dixie-swinging-on-monkey-bars-with-hair.gif (18.97 KiB) Viewed 225160 times

I may end up redoing DK's in a similar way, except using Kiddy's as a base.
So, what do you think, so far? Her hair is a pain in the ass. So I don't know what I'll do to fix it...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » September 21st, 2013, 12:22 am

Woah, great job so far, Phyre!

I can see the essence of Diddy's animation, but thankfully it doesn't just look like Diddy with cut up bits of Dixie pasted on top. :?

You've definitely done well here... it's going to be a challenge to iron out the kinks, but it's a very solid start. :dixiehappy:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » September 21st, 2013, 5:57 am

I think you're doing your best, Phyreburnz. Since your best is always the best, I'd say your animation is near perfect. That's what I think.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » September 22nd, 2013, 6:45 am

I've fixed her hair. I think this looks better.

dixie-swinging-on-monkey-bars.gif
dixie-swinging-on-monkey-bars.gif (20.49 KiB) Viewed 225123 times

I think this is as good as I can get it. Now I'm going to redo DK's in a similar way.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » September 23rd, 2013, 2:23 pm

Definitely better, Phyreburnz. Good skill and luck redoing DK's animation!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » September 23rd, 2013, 3:53 pm

I think this is way better!

dk-swinging-on-monkey-bars-fixed.gif
dk-swinging-on-monkey-bars-fixed.gif (23.42 KiB) Viewed 225105 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » September 23rd, 2013, 4:13 pm

Very interesting! Can this animation be used for climbing horizontal ropes?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » September 23rd, 2013, 4:19 pm

I would have to mess with his hands to make them grasp differently, but yes. I'll work on that tomorrow, maybe. I might have to wait until next weekend.

*EDIT*

Here is the idea that I had before. My original though with the monkey bars was to give Diddy a special power like Dixie's floating, DK's hand-slap, and Kiddy's water bounce. Diddy will be able to cartwheel on the monkey bars to attack any enemies. No other Kong can attack on the monkey bars. They can all walk across, though.

diddy-attack-on-monkey-bars.gif
diddy-attack-on-monkey-bars.gif (20.65 KiB) Viewed 225100 times

This is basically a backwards cartwheel with just a few of the sprites at the beginning and end that have been edited. I may have to edit his feet to make them look more graspy...

I would like to work on a Kremling or something that would be on the monkey bars... I'll have to look and see what I can do. If all else fails, flying enemies could block the way where you can't jump off to get them...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » September 23rd, 2013, 6:52 pm

You're doing a great job with these, Phyre!

It's excellent that DK finally has a method for horizontal suspended traversal — one that looks very adaptable for rope use, too. :)

Good thinking — and execution — with Diddy's maneuver, too; the Kongs have always been rather vulnerable when climbing, so this is a great skill to have. Diddy is probably the most nimble and dexterous of the Kongs — and he has a tail to assist with this move — so I think it's a perfect addition to his repertoire. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » September 24th, 2013, 3:25 am

^What he said.

But as for my own thoughts, your DK animation looks amazingly awesome, as well as hilarious. If I was controlling DK, I'd tell him to traverse those monkey bars for a good five minutes, just so I could watch his animation over and over again. Diddy appears equally advanced as well, although I'd only want him doing that for three minutes. I would feel I was making him suffer if I had him cartwheel continuously for five minutes.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks