OC ReMix DKC3 Project: "Double the Trouble" - NOW AVAILABLE!

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

OC ReMix DKC3 Project: "Double the Trouble" - NOW AVAILABLE!

Postby Cody » April 26th, 2010, 9:11 am

The OC ReMix community have finished off the DKC trilogy by remixing both the SNES and GBA versions of Donkey Kong Country 3.

DKC3: Double the Trouble is finally here! → dkc3.ocremix.org

OC ReMix Project Release Announcement Thread
OC ReMix Project Development Thread

Five discs...
Seventy-seven tracks...

Nearly five and a half hours of new DKC3 arrangements!

GET IT NOW!

Track list (enormous!):
Spoiler!
Disc 1

01 Road to Double Trouble (Fanfare) 0:55
02 Let It Beat (Dixie Beat) 3:38
03 Joe Elm (Crazy Calypso) 2:49
04 Unbearable (Brothers Bear) 3:50
05 The Submap Emissary (Sub-Map Shuffle) 4:38
06 Purewater Pressure (Stilt Village) 3:24
07 Bash the Bastards! (Bonus Time) 3:40
08 Funky's Joint (Hangin' at Funky) 2:52
09 Unfinished Business (Swanky's Sideshow) 3:00
10 Thrill of the Chase (Hot Pursuit) 4:35
11 Epic Bananas (Treetop Tumble) 3:58
12 Don't Drink the Water (Enchanted Riverbank) 3:56
13 Banana Revolution (Live in Kongcert) [Cranky's Showdown] 4:35
14 Permafrost (Frosty Frolics) 4:51
15 Kingfisher's Stream (Cascade Capers) 5:00
16 Deep Sea Lights (Water World) 6:33
17 Exploration C (Cavern Caprice) 5:54
18 Shenanigans Bananigans (Jungle Jitter) 3:23
19 Cliffside Clamber (Rockface Rumble) 5:40
20 mojo gogo (Jangle Bells) 3:00
Disc length 80:11

Disc 2

01 K'ReMispheric Pressure (Northern Kremisphere, Krematoa Koncerto) 3:47
02 Wonderfall (Cascade Capers) 4:51
03 Winter (Frosty Frolics) 3:56
04 Low Life (Treetop Tumble) 5:16
05 Blast Beatdown (Nuts and Bolts) 3:42
06 Intoxica (Pokey Pipes) 3:35
07 Water Warped (Water World) 3:09
08 Can't Boss Us Around (Robot Anarchists from Hell Mix) [Boss Boogie] 3:28
09 Krematoa Inferno (Mill Fever) 3:59
10 Wrinkly's Nightcap (Wrinkly 64) 4:00
11 The Mighty Junglol (Chase) 3:48
12 X-Y-X-X, B-A-B-Y (Crystal Chasm) 4:21
13 Breaking the Crystal Key (Mama Bird) 4:15
14 Afterburn (Rocket Run) 3:11
15 Bring the Noise (Big Boss Blues) 3:12
16 Friendships Through Dark and Light (Crazy Calypso, Crystal Chasm) 6:19
17 Return to Kong, Bye-Bye Baddies! (Baddies on Parade, Crazy Calypso, Pokey Pipes) 5:12
18 'Til We Meet Again (Game Over) 3:43
Disc length 73:44

Disc 3

01 Knautilus (Title Theme GBA) 4:54
02 Treehouse Campfire (Treetop Tumble GBA) 3:04
03 Piña Kremlada (Northern Kremisphere GBA) 2:36
04 Thump Brothers (Brothers Bear GBA) 2:40
05 Accident! A Mountain Rescue by Skies! Glory! (Frosty Frolics GBA) 2:18
06 Party's Over There (Bonus Time GBA) 3:12
07 Ripsaw Boogie (Treetop Tumble GBA) 4:33
08 The Paper Chase (Chase GBA) 3:09
09 Funky's Tricks (Funky's Game) 3:10
10 All Mixxed Up (Hot Pursuit GBA) 6:12
11 Arichnophobia (Arich Boss) 4:13
12 Vext (Pokey Pipes GBA) 3:48
13 Post-Apocalyptic Society (Boss Boogie GBA) 2:27
14 Nutz in the Head (Nuts and Bolts GBA) 6:35
15 Tangerine Fever (Mill Fever GBA) 4:58
Disc length 57:49

Disc 4

01 Undercurrent (Enchanted River GBA) 3:01
02 Aquatic Transformations (Water World GBA) 5:01
03 Heart of the Cave (Cavern Caprice GBA) 8:21
04 Cranky's Mojo (Cranky's Dojo GBA) 4:04
05 Chasing Waterfalls (Cascade Capers GBA) 3:26
06 Corn-fed Kong (Rockface Rumble GBA) 6:02
07 Spanish Jitters (Jungle Jitter GBA) 5:43
08 Sea Breeze Concerto (Stilt Village GBA) 4:40
09 Beneath the Moonlight (Stilt Village GBA) 8:55
10 Distant Dreams on Stormy Seas (Game Over GBA) 3:48
Disc length 53:01

Disc 5

01 Take the World Back (Northern Kremisphere SNES) 5:59
02 Jitterbug System (Jungle Jitter SNES) 3:05
03 Rocket Rave (Rocket Run SNES) 6:26
04 Treetop Intense (Treetop Tumble SNES) 3:44
05 Joyful Jungle Jig (Jungle Jitter SNES) 2:46
06 Heart of Darkness (Cavern Caprice GBA) 4:22
07 Canopy Crawl (Jungle Jitter GBA) 3:05
08 Banana Revolution (Flexstyle's Slam-the-Breaks Edit) [Cranky's Showdown SNES] 4:49
09 Cranky's Christmas Mojo (Cranky's Dojo GBA) 1:59
10 Can't Boss Us Around (Original Mix) [Boss Boogie SNES] 2:54
11 FrosTronix (Original Mix) [Frosty Frolics SNES] 5:41
12 Dive (Water World SNES) 5:00
13 The Crystal Key Is Broken (Mama Bird SNES) 5:51
14 Footloose Falls (Cascade Capers SNES, Cascade Capers GBA) 3:45
Disc length 59:26

Cody's original post:
Spoiler!
This is amazing news for me. DKC3 GBA is my favorite game soundtrack of all-time and DKC3 SNES is somewhere in my top 5... in fact, I enjoy both so much that I put hold several obligations and decided to work on a remix of Stilt Village (SNES) for the project. Thankfully I got the claim; I have full confidence that my remix will benefit the project very well (if anyone would like to hear the completed product before the project is released, let me know and I'll show you). In addition to remixing Stilt Village, I also might tackle Brothers Bear (GBA). For Brothers Bear I have a really interesting hip-hop idea in which Brash (aggressive personality), Bazooka (kind of a smart ass) and Boomer (eccentric, scientific) rap in their own style. Each bear has his own unique personality in the game and this remix will reflect it. If someone claims Brothers Bear by the time I'm done with Stilt, I probably won't work on it but I'd really love to as I feel that I could really make something incredible out of such a source tune.

EDIT: I had to drop Stilt Village :( but I worked on Game Over GBA and Fanfare SNES, so look forward to those! :D
Last edited by Qyzbud on December 8th, 2012, 11:44 am, edited 14 times in total.
Reason: image added/linked (previous edit: release announced, OC ReMix discussion links listed)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Re: OC ReMix DKC3 (SNES and GBA) Project

Postby BlueTronic » April 26th, 2010, 9:43 am

Cody wrote:I also might tackle Brothers Bear (GBA). For Brothers Bear I have a really interesting hip-hop idea in which Brash (aggressive personality), Bazooka (kind of a smart ass) and Boomer (eccentric, scientific) rap in their own style. Each bear has is own unique personality in the game and this remix will reflect it. If someone claims Brothers Bear by the time I'm done with Stilt, I probably won't work on it but I'd really love to as I feel that I could really make something incredible out of such a source tune.

That's a nice idea and all, but how exactly are you going to do it? Do you have a good rap voice and recording equipment? Maybe you can get Jose the Bronx Rican to record for you.

I never really liked the DKC3 GBA music that much, even though it was made by Dave Wise. I feel like I should, but I just don't. The only post-DKC track by Wise that I feel is measures up to DKC is Anchient Lake from Diddy Kong Racing.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Cody » April 26th, 2010, 10:48 am

My rapping voice is fine. As for recording, I'm able to record lyrics very clearly and manipulate the pitch/tempo of the voice using Audacity. I've done so several times in the past and the quality definitely matches that of, say, Party's Over Here, A New Place and Us Monkeys Together. You might be a bit skeptical, but you've just gotta trust me on this one ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Emunator » April 27th, 2010, 8:35 am

I endorse this project ;)

If you guys have any questions, just shoot me an IM or PM on OCR. I've got all my contact info in my profile there. Or if you want to know anything about how certain songs are coming together, I can answer those questions too. I know you guys are a bunch of diehard fans of this series, and so am I, so I'll be totally cool with Q&A type stuff for those of you with curious minds :)

I just wanna say now that the project is coming together fast, and in all likelihood it won't take as long as Serious Monkey Business to complete even though it's got a lot more songs to finish. If someone's holding us back, they're out - that said, I'm not going to sacrifice quality for completion time. Hopefully I don't end up having to decide between the two.

All I can say for sure now is that the 8 (soon to be 10) finished songs that I've got will blow you guys away. Not a single song is even close to each other in genre. I've got island, surf rock, symphonic orchestra, hip-hop, chippy electronic, glitch, R&B, ambient + guitars, classical guitar, and... whatever Mazedude does, and that's just 10 songs. I haven't even gotten into some of the crazy genres that have been explored with the WIPs yet :)

So, rest assured, I'm doing everything in my power to make this work out. In the meantime, here's a short teaser with both finished and WIP'd tracks of varying degrees of completion. Hope you like!

http://tindeck.com/listen/jqim

See if you can guess which track is which!
Newcomer

Postby Cody » April 27th, 2010, 9:23 am

Whoa, nice preview. Here's my initial take on these tracks:

1. Mill Fever SNES -- really interesting take on it. Sounds a bit more electronic than I would've imagined, but I like it
2. Crazy Calypso -- sounds awesome. 8-Bit Instrumental did a terrific job
3. Mill Fever GBA -- really nice. Mazedude once again impresses me with his take on a DKC track
4. Water World GBA -- I don't necessarily think it reflects the atmosphere of the original, but then again this is only a short little clip... on its own I think it sounds nice.
5. Chase GBA -- sounds great.
6. Rocket Run -- wow. Also impressed me. Can't wait to hear the final product.
7. The last track I'm guessing is Enchanted Riverbank SNES, but I may be wrong. Regardless of which track it is, I'm not that much of a fan -- though I'm almost certain my opinion will change once I hear a more substantial version.

Outside of these, I think I'm going to look most forward to the remixes of Nuts & Bolts, Jangle Bells and Rockface Rumble -- all three of those tracks are some of my favorites and I can't wait to see how Zyko will take them. All the tracks in the preview though sound really good so far!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » May 2nd, 2010, 3:15 pm

When I heard Mill Fever, I hoped it would break out into a full, fast tempo section. That would've sounded amazing. It still sounds good though. Does it ever become fast at some point?
Rocket Run was my second fav
Treetop Tumble was good, but a little too slow for my taste
And which GBA track is it that sounds like Jungle Groove?

I can't wait for the second preview. :mrgreen:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Emunator » May 6th, 2010, 10:22 am

Uh, there is no Treetop Tumble in the preview :P I'll just tell you all that Cody had the tracklist right (including the last song, it is Enchanted Riverbank.)

Glad you guys are enjoying it!!

And, I couldn't really tell you about Mill Fever - the part I included in the preview is literally all I have for that song so far :P I need to get in touch with AeroZ and see what's up with that.
Newcomer

Postby BlueTronic » May 6th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Emunator wrote:Uh, there is no Treetop Tumble in the preview :P

Oh, yeah. About that... :P
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Cody » July 25th, 2010, 9:53 pm

Hey everyone,

The DKC3 Remix Project is coming together quite nicely. Most of the tracks have progressed decently and new staff, including Flexstyle mastering all the tracks and myself as Assistant Director, joined the team in attempt to make this project turn out as best as possible! Emunator and I put together a 14 minute, high-quality video preview for Double the Trouble, the chosen name for the DKC3 (SNES and GBA) collaboration album. Hope you all enjoy, and be sure to check out the project thread for more information periodically!

If you want to support the project, you're more than welcome to use this banner on any forums you attend:

Kong-Fu wrote:That's a nice idea and all, but how exactly are you going to do it?

Turns out I'm not going to be the one who's behind it, but Diggi Dis, a well-known remixer, took a liking to my idea and claimed the track. Only time will tell how well it'll be executed, but if The Paper Chase is of any indication, I have absolutely full faith in Diggi Dis :)

Edit: Diggi had to drop it :( but Flexstyle produced something really sweet!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » July 26th, 2010, 12:12 am

Someone should get Sephfire and SGX to do Boss Boogie (SNES) like they did with Intense Color.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kiddy14 » July 26th, 2010, 6:22 am

Sole Signal never ceases to amaze me :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DK4Ever » July 26th, 2010, 6:28 am

I wonder if I can put that banner on my Youtube channel...somehow.

Diggi Dis is working on thr Brothers bear remix? Oh damn, I'm excited. Mamacitas in My Valley was an INCREDIBLE remix.

Excitement!
Treasure Hunter

Re: OC ReMix DKC3 Project: "Double the Trouble"

Postby Rodent » November 14th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Cody, I know I'm a bit late to the punch but I'm keen to drop some basslines for your song if you're interested. Message me sometime, we should try collaborate on something. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Cody » November 15th, 2010, 9:25 am

Thanks for the offer, but no need at the moment. I'll be happy to collaborate with you in the future, though 8-)

Do you have a link to any of your work by chance?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Rodent » November 15th, 2010, 6:14 pm

I've never recorded any of my work actually. I'm thinking of recording a cover of the volcano music from DKC2 though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Cody » November 15th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Recording a cover of my favorite DKC2 track? Sounds good to me! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Cody » February 11th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Hi all,

The lack of general commentary in this thread has concerned me quite a bit (in terms of people looking forward to it), which makes me sad... but to those who are keeping an eye on the project, we're almost done. We're just waiting on two more tracks (out of a whopping 75!) so the wait shouldn't be too much longer :D

In the meantime, I just wanted to present this revamped original preview with each track replaced with the 100% finalized versions:
(Lossless WAV Download)
(320 kbps MP3 stream)

SNES

1. Let it Beat (Dixie Beat) - Brandon Strader ft. Usa
2. Joe Elm (Crazy Calypso) - 8-Bit Instrumental
3. K'ReMispheric Pressure (Northern Kremisphere) - halc
4. Unfinished Business (Swanky's Sideshow) - Matt Drouin
5. Thrill of the Chase (Hot Pursuit) - Flexstyle
6. Epic Bananas (Treetop Tumble) - Sole Signal
7. Deep Sea Lights (Water World) - Theophany
8. Intoxica (Pokey Pipes) - Radiowar
9. Krematoa Inferno (Mill Fever) - Mattias Häggström Gerdt
10. Breaking the Crystal Key (Mama Bird) - Theophany

GBA

1. The Paper Chase (Chase) - Diggi Dis
2. Ripsaw Boogie (Treetop Tumble) - ilp0
3. Tangerine Fever (Mill Fever) - Mazedude
4. Chasing Waterfalls (Cascade Capers) - Blue Magic
5. Vext (Pokey Pipes) - GSlicer
6. Aquatic Transformations (Water World) - Halc ft. Level 99

Would strongly recommend this if you never heard, or liked the original video preview
:)

And here are the 2010 and 2011 Christmas previews:
2010 mini-holiday preview
2011 mini-holiday preview

Within a month or two (hopefully) we'll be releasing the final video preview which will feature segments brand new tracks as well as different segments from tracks already previews. Then album release will be shortly after. So that's something to look forward to!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Phyreburnz » February 11th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Wow! That stuff sounds great! I didn't know about this before, but you can be sure I'll be checking back for updates! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Ribbedebie » March 27th, 2012, 10:53 pm

I'm still so very excited! I can't wait, especially for Epic Bananas. That one just sounds ace.

Same for Corn-fed Kong, argh, I love the sound of that one! A bit country-like, am I correct? Oh, so awesome...

Heck, everything sounds great! Keep up the good work, guys!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Soniccuz » March 30th, 2012, 7:47 am

Been quietly keeping tabs on this project myself. Really enjoyed "Serious Monkey Business", and I'm eagerly waiting on this one. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Cody » August 4th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Good news everyone! The music segment of the project (which is what it's all about, right? :D) is now 100% complete and we've got a great final preview showcasing over 20 remixes!

Emunator's news post

Direct link to video preview
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » August 4th, 2012, 7:03 pm

This is magnificent news! My lack of activity in this topic should not be taken as a lack of excitement/anticipation for this project's release - I'm very eager indeed to wrap my ears around the finished five-disc, 5+ hour epic album that is Double the Trouble... and I will certainly be posting a DKC Atlas news report as soon as I finish listening to the preview you've just posted. DKC3 (both SNES and GBA) may have been my least favourite of the trilogy for music, but both versions still have a lot of great tracks... and I have no doubt that the OC ReMix community will do them justice - and give me a fresh take on the ones I've yet to truly appreciate.

Still, how that damn yodeling can be fixed is beyond me... :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Ribbedebie » August 8th, 2012, 9:46 pm

I'm also very excited for this, as you might've seen elsewhere. :3 Every preview I see and hear just makes me smile! Can't wait for the release, honestly, I've never been so excited about anything DK-related before! I'm dying to hear both versions of Rockface Rumble, Treetop Tumble, and Stilt Village, but they all sound great!

I also love the artwork made with the actual sprites from the games. It looks really cool!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Cody » September 6th, 2012, 7:21 am

The project's just about 100% wrapped up now. Now the art segment is pretty much done, as is album evaluation.

Release might be within the month! Stay tuned for more info! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » September 6th, 2012, 1:41 pm

That would be so great. I'm very excited indeed to have so much new DKC music to listen to - especially DKC3 remixes, as the game is extremely underrepresented on OC ReMix so far. This is very exciting stuff! :dixiehappy:

So, I guess the project's promo site is nearly complete, too? That's one aspect of the project that was needing more work last time I checked the OC forum thread.

Well, my fingers are crossed. October 1st is my birthday, so a late September (or very early October!) release would be an amazing present. :swanky:

Can't wait!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cody » November 22nd, 2012, 11:05 am

I'll add some authenticity to the Q4 2012 by saying... the Final trailer is LIVE!

It's only a matter of days before release now :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » November 22nd, 2012, 12:14 pm

Awesome. I'll publicise the bananas out of this upon release.

Thanks for the update!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » November 22nd, 2012, 5:45 pm

Even if the wise David Wise himself wasn't an arranger for the project, I would still believe that this album would be an official remix of the SNES and GBA tracks. But since he is a part of the team, you can be sure that this collection meets his standards of his original music pieces.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Soniccuz » December 3rd, 2012, 1:46 pm

The suspense is terrible. :dixiehappy:
My productivity will likely either plummet or, sky rocket tomorrow.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Qyzbud » December 3rd, 2012, 2:10 pm

Oh wow, colour me excited!

Whipping up a news report as we speak... B/
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » December 4th, 2012, 6:46 am

Outstanding! :dixiehappy:

Guys, I don't think I have to say this... but do yourselves a favour and go get it! So many fantastic remixes by amazingly talented artists.

The best OC ReMix release to date.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: OC ReMix DKC3 Project: "Double the Trouble" - NOW AVAILA

Postby Cyclone » December 4th, 2012, 10:54 am

Looking forward to checking this out. Downloaded a few tracks so far and is sounds great.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » December 5th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Torrenting as we speak, around 90% done. :dixiehappy:

This is absolutely killing my general bandwidth/web-browsing speeds...

Holy bananas, I now have an extra 2.5GB that I have to back up. I need to escalate the priority of my remaining backups the moment I'm done with the freaking mountain of last-minute homework... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Geno » December 6th, 2012, 11:30 am

Wow! This looks cool! Download!

*see's 3 hours*

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Does anyone know how to use those torrent things?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Simion32 » December 6th, 2012, 11:35 am

You have to have a program called BitTorrent (or some other bittorrent client program). You then are able to double-click the torrent file to have the program begin downloading stuff.

Torrents aren't like normal downloads - instead the program downloads pieces of the torrent, from everyone who already has it downloaded and is online. The more people that are seeding (have completed a download and left it online), the faster the download.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be seeding this. I deleted the MP3s folder... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Geno » December 6th, 2012, 12:30 pm

Ah, I see.

*uses BitTorrent*

*it's faster*

WHOOPEE!

I gotta say, this sure is pretty cool! (the music)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby leo_core » December 7th, 2012, 4:54 am

A masterpiece! Really a fantastic job! This makes the classic DKC series go up the scene, I love the art work! It is ridiculously amazing!
Hey Cody, sorry if the question is silly but I'm a little confused. You're part of this project? I would love to be able to use some of these songs and also some of the art work in our DKC4 project. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Geno » December 8th, 2012, 12:41 pm

What's funny is that my friend told me that "OCRemix made a DKC3 album".

His face was really hilarious when I told him I already got it! :lol:

Speaking of which, I think I should get the DKC and DKC2 ones too.....

(hmmm. spell check thinks "DKC" is an error, but not DKC2 or DKC3... wut :huh: )
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Ribbedebie » December 9th, 2012, 8:54 am

^ Spellcheck usually doesn't see anything with numbers in it as misspelt. At least mine didn't. :P

ANYWAY so this album? It's magnificent, I'll say! Amazing. I almost cried listening to Cliffside Clamber, that's how beautiful it is. Every track just oozes perfection and dedication, and I'm more than impressed! Really nice work.~
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Qyzbud » December 9th, 2012, 9:26 am

Yep; I've also noticed that spell check ignores words that include numbers.

Cliffside Clamber is a beautiful track... I got goosebumps the first time I heard the electric guitar! I enjoyed the nod to the original DKC soundtrack, too — the temple, snow and treetop tunes were all referenced, which was quite a thing of beauty. Well done indeed, Ergosonic!

Another artist this album really opened my ears to is Theophany; I found all of his arrangements breathtakingly serene and atmospheric, which is exactly how I like my DKC music to be. :)

Flexstyle and Jason Covenant also stood out to me... especially Jason's stunning 'Banana Revolution' — a powerhouse tribute to Cranky's Showdown. Epic.

All-round amazing... WHAT AN ALBUM! :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cody » December 9th, 2012, 6:45 pm

leo_core wrote:A masterpiece! Really a fantastic job! This makes the classic DKC series go up the scene, I love the art work! It is ridiculously amazing!
Hey Cody, sorry if the question is silly but I'm a little confused. You're part of this project? I would love to be able to use some of these songs and also some of the art work in our DKC4 project. :)

Indeed; I co-directed it :) Good to see you like it!

As for the songs/artwork, you're going to have to contact the individual artists behind the tracks you want in your project. I'd love to say yes but I don't have a say in it. It's ok though, I'm sure you'll get approval :thumbs:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » December 10th, 2012, 6:38 am

Just finished listening to them all and saving the ones I liked. Got 16 of them on my playlist. I heard some great remixes that really made me want to jam like the originals did. However, some of them just made me want to punch a monkey :angry:

First of all, I was surprised and frustrated to find that a lot of them were dubstep mixes (Dubstep offends me as a musician) because dubstep and DKC music are on the opposite ends of the music spectrum and should never be combined.
Second of all, some of them twisted up the beat and the melody so much that I could barely tell they had any DKC in them :scratch:
What really made me go bananas was that my favorite track, Mill Fever (SNES), only had one remix that was basically just a stereotypical dubstep beat with the Mill Fever melody pasted on. I started writing my own crazy groovy Mill Fever remixes out of frustration. Perhaps I will finish it and send it to one of the artists to fix up so that I have something of Mill Fever I can jam to.
Third of all, a lot of the tracks had synths and samples with really high frequencies and thus, were difficult to enjoy.

But I can't complain much because there are plenty of remixes that I absolutely loved:

Afterburn (Rocket Run SNES) - This would have to be my favorite track in the album. It had an excellent groove to it, and it fits perfectly with the high-speed rocket flight from Donkey Kong Country 3. The synths, guitars, and drums fit together perfectly.
Unfinished Business (Swankey's Sideshow SNES) - This track had an amazing beat. Every time I hear it I have to jam a bit wherever I'm sitting :lol:
Intoxica (Pokey Pipes SNES) - If the original had been made as a full-quality track, this is probably almost exactly how it would sound (minus the hip-hoppy drumbeat). This track perfectly emanated the feeling of being in a being in a smokey pipe, floating around in low gravity.
Can't Boss Us Around (Boss Boogie SNES) - I've been wanting a good Boss Boogie mix since forever, and this one was pretty awesome. I didn't like the glitchy parts too much, and the ending I thought was really dull, but for the most part it was good
Spanish Jitters (Jungle Jitter GBA) - Another remix from The Wise Man. It felt kind of like one of those funky jazz tracks from the 70's, DKC style. Which turned out absolutely perfect. I especially loved the T-sax section at 1:24
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby leo_core » December 11th, 2012, 4:01 am

Thanks cody! I'll try to contact them, individually. I think the best way to do this is here:
http://dkc3.ocremix.org/bios.php

For Art Work, I am free to use?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Cody » December 11th, 2012, 6:13 am

I think it depends on what you want to use...if it's the sprite banners I'll grant you permission, but the main art has to be run by the artist (The Maverickk).

Better yet, if it IS the sprite banners, I'll be up for making some for the project. I miss doing them :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » January 30th, 2013, 2:37 pm

I felt as though only a small handful of tracks deviated 'too far' from the vibe/composition of the originals... and even less could be considered 'dubsteppy garbage'. I guess it's important to keep in mind that you dislike all dubstep/similar electronica... so your opinion here is no reflection on the skills of the ReMix artist.

Yes, I'm sure you can tell I really dislike that stuff. What really made me go bananas was that my the only remix to my favorite track, Mill Fever, was a dubstep track that just sounded like a stereotypical dubstep beat with the Mill Fever melody pasted on at the according tempo :angry:
So I apologize for that having a strong influence on my overall perception of the project. I have begun working on a rave remix of Mill Fever and I'm planning to collaborate with someone so that they can build it up to par, so at least I can add it to my Double the Trouble playlist and pretend I got a good Mill Fever remix from it haha

Cody wrote:I feel it's better to reflect on the good tracks (Wonderfall, Cliffside Clamber, Intoxica, etc.) than to deliberately hate on the ones that might not be up to par.

I did enjoy Cliffside Clamber, and especially Intoxica! The atmosphere was (pun intended) breathtaking :lol:
I think my favorites were Afterburn and Spanish Jitters. Those were the tracks I found I couldn't help but jam to the beat, which is what I think matters most in a song
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks