Guide to DKC's In-level warp locations

If you want to share your thoughts about DKC-Atlas.com, here is the place for it.

Guide to DKC's In-level warp locations

Postby Qyzbud » February 16th, 2008, 3:16 pm

Please discuss the DKC Atlas warps guide here.

Any recommendations to improve the formatting, clarity, accuracy and general appearance & usefulness of this guide are most appreciated.

I previously wrote:Okay, in preparation for an installment to the Warps/Shortcuts page on DKC Atlas, I'm creating a quick guide to the in-level warps that can allow you to skip most of the level by busting out of a barrel near the end. This doesn't include barrel blasting through the level, like in Barrel Cannon Canyon, Snow Barrel Blast etc, but those shortcuts will be part of the Warps/Shortcuts page eventually, too. If I've missed a level, please jog my memory...

So far, the guide features the warps in these levels:

• Mine Cart Carnage
  • Stop & Go Station
  • Millstone Mayhem
  • Vulture Culture
  • Tree Top Town
  • Slip Slide Ride
  • Trick Track Trek

I believe that's all of them, but if you know of any warps within other levels, please do tell!
Last edited by Qyzbud on May 29th, 2012, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link (was http://www.dkc-atlas.com/pages/dkc/secrets/warps.php)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: In-level warp locations

Postby BlueTronic » February 16th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Bouncy Bonanza. It's above the start entrance, but you have to make appear by doing something, and I don't know how. No one does. People have found it, but don't know how they made it appear.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tompa » February 16th, 2008, 6:49 pm

No one has proved that there's a warp there. My friend and I have tried every possibility in order to make it appear... Levitation codes for example. In case someone isn't giving me a video or picture of it, I don't believe there's something there.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Kowbrainz » February 17th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Hrmm... are you going to add in screenshots to the Warps and Shortcuts page later on? Might make it a little easier for people wanting to know exactly where they can find these places.

Anyways, cheers... a bit of information I didn't know about in today's update. Guess that's what you planned when you were creating this site, though. Good work. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » February 18th, 2008, 11:49 am

Yeah, I'm brainstorming good ways to add a visual guide along with the instructions. Combining text and graphics into an article form is something I've only barely begun to work with, so I was a little hesitant. I'll give it a go, and you'll have to tell me what you think.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Guide to DKC's In-level warp locations

Postby Kowbrainz » February 18th, 2008, 5:51 pm

Another way would be to somehow create an animated GIF of exactly how to get the shortcut. I'm not exactly sure what this would involve, though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Cody » February 18th, 2008, 8:55 pm

I'd noticed while browsing the newly updated DKC warp section that the word "tire" was misspelled excessively. It isn't too big of a deal, but would it be possible to have that changed?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Kowbrainz » February 18th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Cody wrote:I'd noticed while browsing the newly updated DKC warp section that the word "tire" was misspelled excessively. It isn't too big of a deal, but would it be possible to have that changed?

Not all of us live in America, duuuuude. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby cfh » February 19th, 2008, 10:02 am

Kowbrainz wrote:Another way would be to somehow create an animated GIF of exactly how to get the shortcut. I'm not exactly sure what this would involve, though.

Just make a video. I can convert it to GIF.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » February 19th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Kowbrainz wrote:
Cody wrote:...the word "tire" was misspelled excessively. ...would it be possible to have that changed?

Not all of us live in America, duuuuude. :P

Hahaha, yes, what he said.

I think in the country of the game's origin, 'tyre' is the correct spelling. Tyre is also the correct spelling in the country of this site's origin!
That said, Cranky does refer to them with the spelling 'tire' in-game, so I'm considering changing the way I've written it on DKC Atlas... I must say though, it's gonna feel awful strange to intentionally 'misspell' tyre... ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » February 19th, 2008, 1:56 pm

...would tired also be 'tyred' instead of 'tired'?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » February 19th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Only if 'tyred' means being hit by a tyre...

The main value of concept-unique spelling is it avoids out-of-context ambiguity. Duh. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » February 19th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Pictures are good for now.

I only just found some of these last night after using the descriptions for them. The one in vulture culture was particularly sneaky of them... especially the way that it appears if you get there as Diddy and switch to DK. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » February 20th, 2008, 1:03 am

I have added pictures to the warp guide now. Mouse over to enlarge them.

I'm fairly happy with it, but I'm sure it can still be improved.

Your thoughts?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » February 20th, 2008, 1:58 am

In the GBA port, there is a warp in Ropey Rampage. I don't know if there are more.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » February 20th, 2008, 8:18 am

I remember how dissapointed I was when I first found the one in the Minecart level. I remember my dad jumping in that hole at the beginning and landing in it, but I forgot it was a warp. So one day I tried it, and landed in it, which then blasted me to the end and I thought, "What the heck? I just skipped the best level in the game!". Then I went back and played it through.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

removed

Postby Guest » February 20th, 2008, 8:40 am

- guest post removed -

Postby Cyclone » February 20th, 2008, 8:46 am

oh crap i'm sorry i forgot to log in and clicked the submit button not preview. grrrr anyways...

Qyzbud wrote:I have added pictures to the warp guide now. Mouse over to enlarge them.

I'm fairly happy with it, but I'm sure it can still be improved.

Your thoughts?

I think its much better now with the images. I actually feel like playing dk right now just to try them out. I like how the images are enlarged but I think you could do a little better with the coding. If you check this link http://www.dreamstime.com/search.php?srh_field=donkey&firstvalue=donkey&lastsearchvalue=donkey+kong&s_ph=y&s_il=y&s_sm=all&s_st=new&memso=y&s_cf=0&s_catid=&s_cliid=&s_colid=&memorize_search=1&s_exc=&s_sp=&s_sl1=y&s_sl2=y&s_sl3=y&s_sl4=y&s_sl5=y&s_rsf=0&s_rst=7&s_clc=y&s_clm=y&s_orp=y&s_ors=y&s_orl=y&s_orw=y

As you can see the images enlarge when you hover your mouse over the thumbnails without changing the format of the page they are on. But the coding won't be as simple and what you have is still good enough but its just a little suggestion.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » February 20th, 2008, 1:17 pm

I think I'll disable guest posting. Sean suggested this early on, just took me a while to decide. ;)

I'm glad you like it more now, and that supercalifragilisticexpialidociously long URL you posted has a more spiffy technique. Thanks for the suggestion. In some ways I like that the text re-shapes to allow readability alongside the expanded image, but I'm sure this looks unprofessional. It probably looks more like a page glitch than a carefully designed and formatted technique, eh?

Cheers, I'll look into it.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » February 21st, 2008, 8:54 am

Yeah, get rid of guest posting. Without it it will incourage more people to join, and stop jackasses from coming on the site and posting tons of crap without being caught.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Cyclone » February 22nd, 2008, 7:42 am

Well I reversed engineered a website and got the code for that thumbnail image enlarge thing. :)
If you look at the source you will see there’s a JavaScript file. You need that file for the script to work. Its pretty easy to set up. But I know nothing about JavaScript, I just deleted alot of the code that didn't seem to have anything to do with the image script. It might be a bit glitchy I dunno. But it definitely works fine in firefox.
http://www.inspiredvisuals.com/ThumbnailEnlarge.html

Javascript (needed to work)
http://www.inspiredvisuals.com/zoomimage.js

If you find a webpage with a tutorial on how to use this script let me know.

Hope that helps
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » February 22nd, 2008, 12:46 pm

Thanks, lovely. I'll give it a try.

Your business/project site name (and the design & content) is great, by the way.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to DKC Atlas Website Discussion