Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby Qyzbud » December 16th, 2012, 10:28 am

VideoViking wrote:Your link's not working. I get this error:
"The resource you are trying to access belongs to an account that has not yet been validated"

By the way, here's the link for those who are able to get it:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cd77p3g6czz9u37

slym wrote:[...] link is death so in can't download it =(

Simion32 wrote:The link VideoViking put works for me...

Yep, it's working for me now, too... but half an hour ago it was giving me the error VV stated.

Looks like it's all sorted out now. :)

*downloads*
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CountryFan » December 16th, 2012, 11:08 am

Played a couple of levels, and noticed a few things:

1. The Kongs don't die correctly on the first level (they remain standing), but on the second level they DO die correctly (i.e. Diddy gets a black eye).

2. When hitting the end goal, DK pulls out a guitar even though he is SUPPOSED to play bongos.

3. When I tried to start-select out of the first level, the game hung.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby Qyzbud » December 16th, 2012, 11:23 am

I also noticed the game-hanging issue — it seems that pressing start to pause freezes the game. :|

One thing I get annoyed by is the requirement to press A to enter a level (and select a game, etc.); I'm completely accustomed to using B (or start) to do these things... so it kind of bothers me that I can't use those buttons in this game. :roll:

Other than that, I must say you guys are doing a marvellous job! The physics are improved from the last demo, but there's still a lot of room for refinement to make things feel right to us life-long DKC players. ;)

Good luck with that — I'm sure it's not an easy task! :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » December 16th, 2012, 11:33 am

mediafire won't let me download. Says Authorize Download and enter the words below. but I don't see any words...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » December 16th, 2012, 11:54 am

The minecart level is nearly impossible to beat. The hitbox(es) are horribly messed up and the minecart control is nothing like DKC. And the cart animation is buggy - its angle does not accurately follow the tracks. Sorry, but you have to try much harder than you already have, to get this one right. :kiddysad:

I gameover'd about 6 times on the mine cart level and gave that up. Then, I just cheated into the next level. :roll:

The barrel cannons work very good! :)

Also, Glimmering Galleon looks awesome.

Qyzbud, you have to hit ENTER to unpause. (Yeah, I know that's really screwy.)

EDIT: Possible Debugging Issue.
Does leo_core and each of his play testing teammates have a controller very similar to the one I have (Logitech Dual Action USB Gamepad) here?
I don't like telling people what to do, but for debugging the "feel" of DKC you are going to need an SNES-like controller, and the ability to use it with the game is paramount.

It is precisely this that enables me to feel whether a game has accurate physics or if it's just based on visual observations.

Playing it on the keyboard? pbbbth - forget that! :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » December 16th, 2012, 1:19 pm

CountryFan wrote: When hitting the end goal, DK pulls out a guitar even though he is SUPPOSED to play bongos.

Yeah... thanks for that... :roll:

Anyway... I'm playing the demo and here's a list of glitches:

1) Something weird happened in the first level with DK. I killed gnawty, but simultaneously died in the process of killing him... got the death music, but DK was still walking around. I did it twice.
2) When I beat the first level with DK, it faded to black way before he ran off screen and way before his music finished.
3) The black screen waiting for the bonuses is still very long
4) It looks like there are no rope turning animations
5) When you jump off of a rope, the jump animation starts a few frames after it should... the clinging frame stays there for a second after jumping and it floats for a little bit before going into the jump animation.
6) If you get the bonus coin facing away from the exit, the Kong runs backwards to the exit
7) The bonus barrel shakes the screen when exiting a bonus
8) The speed in the second level is far too slow.

List of considerations:
1) When using Kiddy or DK and teaming up with Diddy, you still use his cart duck animation frame and it looks weird.

About your program thing, the mouse button doesn't appear over top of the box. You should change this. It's a little hard to make sure you hit the 'x' sometimes.

My computer is acting up, so I'm going to submit this so I don't lose what I typed. I'll edit the post later, or just make a continued list in another post.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby slym » December 16th, 2012, 3:31 pm

First impression, fuc"$*% Hard :P

secondly, there is a lot bug that make the game a bit unplayable

there is some screenshot about it:

Spoiler!
1.PNG
i did this level without any minecart

2.png
this bug look like a mario secret for pass the level faster :P

4.png
here the ground was there but it doesn't appear

5.png
here i passed the level but i wasn't able to go to an other one so i restart at the last save

i find a lot more bug, most of them was in minecart level, and barrel blast level

to conclude, the beta was awesome i really liked play in it. Really good job guys continue like that :thumbs: :funky: :nicework:
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » December 16th, 2012, 3:34 pm

The mouse-over-window thing might not be fixable, Phyre. This is Multimedia Fusion 2 we're talking about. The mouse hiding may or may not be forced on the designer of the game. :|
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby EvangeliKong » December 16th, 2012, 11:29 pm

This game is freaking amazing, expect for one thing...

IT'S
TOO
HARD
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby leo_core » December 17th, 2012, 4:54 am

Hi!
First, I must apologize to Phyreburnz. The Glimmering Galleon level that you created can not be added to this demo exactly as you designed it because of the very little time we had to release this demo. We were forced to edit the map and drastically reduce it for sheer lack of time. I'm sorry for that, but we will put your Glimmering in another area, the stage that you did exactly as you designed it, I promise!

Second, I apologize to Katastrophe Kong, not had time to make an appearance on your Mr. X
But he's here and surely be one of the Boss in our project!

There are hundreds of bugs and we're working on it, within a few days we will launch a new version of the demo with the most critical bugs fixed. We will also implement some of the suggestions that you guys gave ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » December 17th, 2012, 4:59 am

EvangeliKong wrote:This game is freaking amazing, expect for one thing...

IT'S
TOO
HARD

Thanks!!!
We will make a "balanced" in some level that are really problematic :roll:
Please consider that we had very little time to launch this demo. But everything will be settled! :D

Thanks all for play!
we will keep working hard on the project, still lack much to get where we want.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby slym » December 17th, 2012, 5:48 am

just for being sure you know this major lag that i notice:

1. you can press start when your kong do the winning song so that just bug the game and the next level doesn't unlock
2. you can press the button to put a kong on your shoulder when you are in minecart
3. i not sure about this one but it happen every time to me, when your last kong died while you shooting out of a barrel (in barrel blast level) your kong will have weird lag like don't die and fly, or just go out of the map
Tourist

Postby Phyreburnz » December 17th, 2012, 3:36 pm

I can't get past the minecarts level. I can get halfway, but that's about it.... how did you cheat to get beyond it, Simion32? I would like to play the other levels.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » December 17th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Spoiler!
Your slot1.ini will look something like:
[Geral]
B=0
DK=0
Levels=2
%=2
SaveSpot=1
Start=1
Kong=2
Part=0
Partsn=1
[World]
1=0
[Area1]
1=1
2=2

Just change the Levels=2 line to Levels=3, the %=2 to say %=3, and add a line at the bottom saying 3=3.

IMPORTANT (for leo_core): DO NOT REMOVE THIS ABILITY TO CHEAT UNTIL THE WHOLE FANGAME IS COMPLETED. It is very important that debuggers/testers be able to access all of the levels.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 17th, 2012, 4:30 pm

I have to ask, what's up with the boss? I assume this is just a visual preview of the world 1 boss as there is nothing really complete to him?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby leo_core » December 18th, 2012, 3:20 am

slym wrote:just for being sure you know this major lag that i notice:

1. you can press start when your kong do the winning song so that just bug the game and the next level doesn't unlock
2. you can press the button to put a kong on your shoulder when you are in minecart
3. i not sure about this one but it happen every time to me, when your last kong died while you shooting out of a barrel (in barrel blast level) your kong will have weird lag like don't die and fly, or just go out of the map

Thanks, we'll make those corrections.

Phyreburnz wrote:I can't get past the minecarts level. I can get halfway, but that's about it.... how did you cheat to get beyond it, Simion32? I would like to play the other levels.

There are some ways to pass the level by walking on trails. Here one of the ways:

Simion32 wrote:
Spoiler!
Your slot1.ini will look something like:
[Geral]
B=0
DK=0
Levels=2
%=2
SaveSpot=1
Start=1
Kong=2
Part=0
Partsn=1
[World]
1=0
[Area1]
1=1
2=2

Just change the Levels=2 line to Levels=3, the %=2 to say %=3, and add a line at the bottom saying 3=3.

IMPORTANT (for leo_core): DO NOT REMOVE THIS ABILITY TO CHEAT UNTIL THE WHOLE FANGAME IS COMPLETED. It is very important that debuggers/testers be able to access all of the levels.

I agree!

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:I have to ask, what's up with the boss? I assume this is just a visual preview of the world 1 boss as there is nothing really complete to him?

The Boss is totally buggy! Happened a problem with the build, but only after we saw that we had released! He also has an attack that is not working.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby CountryFan » December 18th, 2012, 10:47 am

The glitch I mentioned in Jitter Jungle also occurs in Glimmering Galleon.

Also, had the game basically hang in Barrel Cannon Craggy when DK was shot out of a Barrel Cannon into a Zinger.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby Phyreburnz » December 18th, 2012, 2:39 pm

I have more to add to my list.

Glitches:

1 barrel cannon craggy when I get hit with the zingers sometimes, the character is in hit frame and they fly across the screen, and sometimes it won't end.
2 I had a lot of the previous glitches happen in Glimmering Galleon, like characters being caught in perpetual rolls after trying to team up
3 barrel cannon craggy a lot of the times, the barrels won't shoot, or they'll shoot nothing out and you die
4 you can't gain any lives. After dying a bunch of times in the minecart level, I went back to the first level to get lives and it would look like I gained lives until I went back into another level (in this situation, I was stuck at 2 lives)
5 In the minecart level, you can't jump up onto a rail if you're too far below it; the rail blocks you from jumping up In the DKC games, the rails weren't like actual platforms.

And I do have more considerations:

1 if you'd like, I did make Kiddy and Dixie minecart sprites
2 What Qyz said about the buttons... I dislike hitting 'A' to enter a level... it should be 'B' and 'Start.'
3 Will this be compatible with a controller like this? I would love to buy a SNES USB controller specifically to play this game.
4 When you beat the level, it fades to black way before your Kong runs off the screen.

I think there are more, but I can't think of them right now.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » December 18th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Actually, the cart track surfaces are just plain incorrect.

To get the (almost) right collisions in MMF2 using hitbox based methods: You will need probably something that's a 1x1 pixel for surface collisions, and then another separate box for the kong/enemy hitbox detection. You can't use the sprite image itself as the hitbox, this is just plain wrong.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » December 20th, 2012, 4:20 am

Phyreburnz, thanks for more bug reports!
Theoretically the extension that we use in the project to support USB Joystick, supports any control.
But even that does not recognize that that you stated specifically, you can always use a program that does trigger buttons on the keyboard keys, like a X-Padder or JoyToKey (The Simion can clarify this for you).

Simion, I have knowledge about this issue hit box at level of roller coaster was a small slip in level design that this level. Will be repaired.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » December 20th, 2012, 4:39 am

Oh, leo, I just thought of something else I wanted to ask. Did you remove Diddy's new skill in this demo? I tried to use it and it didn't work (maybe I hit the wrong buttons or something).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » December 20th, 2012, 5:02 am

We decided to remove this Diddy's ability (was too easy). However you can always throw a heavy kong (Kiddy or DK) against a wall and climb on top of him ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super Luigi! » December 21st, 2012, 4:03 pm

leo_core wrote:(The Simion can clarify this for you).

Because there can be only one. leo_core, thank you for keeping us posted on your progress. Also, as a side note, your use of the English language is simply divine!
Spoiler!
NO SARCASM IS PRESENT IN THE EXISTING PREVIOUS STATEMENT!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby leo_core » December 22nd, 2012, 5:20 am

Super Luigi! wrote:
leo_core wrote:(The Simion can clarify this for you).

Because there can be only one.

Super Luigi! wrote: Also, as a side note, your use of the English language is simply divine!
Spoiler!
NO SARCASM IS PRESENT IN THE EXISTING PREVIOUS STATEMENT!

I do not understand what do you mean ... I apologize, my English is very limited.
If anything I wrote previously appeared sarcasm, make sure it was not intentional.

I'm just trying to explain the issue on the Joystick to Phyre.
But maybe I can not explain it to Phyreburnz, so I cited Simion because I know he knows how to configure JoyToKey xD
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Simion32 » December 22nd, 2012, 5:40 am

I'm sorry that Super Luigi's ways have confused you.
Spoiler!
He is adding humor to his post (without really saying it) because your (incorrect English) statement of
(The Simion can clarify this for you).

should have been
grammar fixed wrote:(Simion can clarify this for you).
Because putting the word the in front of it signifies that to be the only <thing>, and here it means "the only Simion". So Super Luigi said his statement of "there can only be one" which is meant to be a humorous reference about me. ;)

The "there is no sarcasm" in the spolier is also meant to evoke humor. If you are still confused, just ignore it.

Ah, the intricacies of English will never cease to confuse us... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » December 22nd, 2012, 2:48 pm

I feel a little dumb posting one thing... and especially such a little thing... but I was just reminded of a consideration...

In DKC when you go to Candy's save point and she blows kisses, they kind of explode a little when they hit your character. In yours, they just float off screen.

Sorry to post for such a dumb thing!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » December 22nd, 2012, 10:41 pm

Haha, I was bothered by that, too — somebody had to speak up! :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby leo_core » December 23rd, 2012, 4:18 am

Simion32 wrote:I'm sorry that Super Luigi's ways have confused you.
Spoiler!
He is adding humor to his post (without really saying it) because your (incorrect English) statement of
(The Simion can clarify this for you).

should have been
grammar fixed wrote:(Simion can clarify this for you).
Because putting the word the in front of it signifies that to be the only <thing>, and here it means "the only Simion". So Super Luigi said his statement of "there can only be one" which is meant to be a humorous reference about me. ;)

The "there is no sarcasm" in the spolier is also meant to evoke humor. If you are still confused, just ignore it.

Ah, the intricacies of English will never cease to confuse us... :roll:

Oh, Now I understand! ahahahaha yes, here there is only one Simion! Surely! #)

Phyreburnz wrote:In DKC when you go to Candy's save point and she blows kisses, they kind of explode a little when they hit your character. In yours, they just float off screen.

Qyzbud wrote:Haha, I was bothered by that, too — somebody had to speak up! :P

Let's do it, thanks for the tip!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Hekeunu_HCGL » December 23rd, 2012, 2:29 pm

Is the boss in the final area Mr.X? :?:
Newcomer

Postby leo_core » December 24th, 2012, 3:53 am

Welcome to forum Hekeunu! :dixiehappy:
We do not know if we'll use as Mr.X to last boss... is too early to say anything about this question.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Hekeunu_HCGL » December 24th, 2012, 1:50 pm

The appearance of the Karni Kong still ?
Newcomer

Postby leo_core » December 25th, 2012, 3:17 am

Yes, we have Karni Kong and all enemies of the Snes DKC series in our project. We also want to make some customized enemies.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Cody » December 26th, 2012, 8:32 am

Hey,

if you need more music for the project, I'll be more than willing to contribute. :D

In the meantime I created this for maybe a jungle level (this track is based on David Wise's "Spanish Jitters" on the DKC3 album):
http://tindeck.com/listen/xbuv ← my reinterpretation

Please let me know how you feel. I think it'd be pretty neat :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » December 26th, 2012, 11:58 am

That's nice, Cody; I love the ambience and whimsy of it... and the upbeat, bouncy bit at 0:16 (which reminds me a lot of DKCR's rocket-barrel music!) sounds great. I'd love to hear this as backing music in a remake project like this... be sure to post again if/when you produce a longer version! ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » December 26th, 2012, 3:15 pm

leo_core, I'm sorry to have confused you, but it's good to hear that you've recovered and are working more on your project! Speaking of which, how's the game making going? Are there any problems we need to know about?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby leo_core » December 27th, 2012, 8:03 am

Cody wrote:Hey,

if you need more music for the project, I'll be more than willing to contribute. :D

In the meantime I created this for maybe a jungle level (this track is based on David Wise's "Spanish Jitters" on the DKC3 album):
http://tindeck.com/listen/xbuv ← my reinterpretation

Please let me know how you feel. I think it'd be pretty neat :)

I really enjoyed, is a very "tropical" climate. Please, post it here when you're finished.

Super Luigi! wrote:leo_core, I'm sorry to have confused you, but it's good to hear that you've recovered and are working more on your project! Speaking of which, how's the game making going? Are there any problems we need to know about?

Do not worry about it, it was a good joke, laugh a lot with it when I understand. :D

Ok, I'll let you guys in on what's going on.
We are currently working on the entire engine, to make it 100% bugs free.
This work is very, very time consuming, so there no news for the next few weeks as we work repairing what is already done.

We will not release a second version of the demo with the errors corrected as previously announced, it spends a lot of time, we want to use this time to work on the final version of the game.
So once we are 100% with the engine will start creating a map of the second area of the game and we will go posting progress here for you guys.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super Luigi! » December 27th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Is the process of engine making similar to disarming a bomb, as in it only takes one mistake and KABLOOEY, the whole engine falls apart? Or is it more like, " :angry: AHHHHHH! EVERY DETAIL MUST BE PERFECT! AHHHHHH! :angry: " ?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby leo_core » December 29th, 2012, 6:41 am

Super Luigi! wrote:Is the process of engine making similar to disarming a bomb, as in it only takes one mistake and KABLOOEY, the whole engine falls apart?

The engine is pretty stable, we are doing a "clean sweep" in the entire project and fixing bugs.

Super Luigi! wrote:Or is it more like, " :angry: AHHHHHH! EVERY DETAIL MUST BE PERFECT! AHHHHHH! :angry: " ?

Surely! We want something worthy of a DKC from Snes. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Scraps69 » December 29th, 2012, 8:43 am

I'm just curious, who designs the levels? How is the planning going for those? I havnt played the demo yet (no net on my pc, on my mobile) but I noticed in one of the previews with the construction area (city level with girders) that you got to the midway barrell quite quickly.

Is each level going to have gimmicks written into the engine as you go (dkc3) or will it be a bit more organic like Dkc1?

How easy is it to add a gimmick for each level. For example, the lightning in DKC3? Or making your animal buddy run because they are frightened? Or a rocket level in the final DKC3 lost world stage?

Do you guys need ideas or level design drawings?

Are there any limitations in the level engine, such as whether the level must go horizontally or vertically?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » December 29th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Speaking from my experience with MMF2:

(1) there's no arbitrary level size limit in MMF2 other that it not being exorbitantly huge.

(2) doing that lightning is probably really tough - it IS an AI object. Brings to mind integrals (I'm talking Calculus here!) of the Kong's positions as a heuristic plus some randomizer offset of a few pixels (I suppose that the randomized range would be normally distributed - with farthest offsets occurring the least often) to make it not entirely spot-on accurate.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » December 30th, 2012, 4:56 am

I'll try to answer

Scraps69 wrote:I'm just curious, who designs the levels? How is the planning going for those?

Levels made by Phyreburnz, Necro Toad, Aryel, Leandro Ferrete, Hiperkalango and myself.

Scraps69 wrote:Is each level going to have gimmicks written into the engine as you go (dkc3) or will it be a bit more organic like Dkc1?

Has a bit of everything...

Scraps69 wrote:How easy is it to add a gimmick for each level. For example, the lightning in DKC3? Or making your animal buddy run because they are frightened? Or a rocket level in the final DKC3 lost world stage?

We may have this type of event among others.

Scraps69 wrote:Do you guys need ideas or level design drawings?

We accept any cooperation! If you want to create a level, make and send it to me to take a look.

Scraps69 wrote:Are there any limitations in the level engine, such as whether the level must go horizontally or vertically?

Simion answered that question better than I would answer xD
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Scraps69 » December 30th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Seven level designers is more than enough so you're covered. I think I'm all out of ideas or inspiration, though you can refer to 'dkc reloaded' game and YouTube vids in the Rom hacks section if you need ideas particularly for intense high speed stages.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby !!!!! » January 4th, 2013, 5:23 pm

I've played the demo and it's a nice start but I would call it a demo since it's very flawed. More like a alpha release.

Game Issues/Bugs:
-Random Enemy Placement
-Extremely unbalanced stage designs that render the game from easy (Jagged Jungle) to questionable (Scarlet Crystal Crossing) to impossible (Wrecked Rails) in the span of only 3 stages
-Barrels Sometimes don't fire and you are trapped within one (Wrecked Rails)
-Hazards are tight to pass through e.g. the Zingers in Scarlet Crystal Crossing, Buzzs in Wrecked Rails
-Timers in the Bonus Stages tend to move at MMF2's default timer making it impossible to clear some bonus stages when lag arises
-Throwing Kiddy forward with Dixie makes him roll offscreen never to be seen again until your hit or enter a barrel

Spoiler!

-Dying sometimes in Jungle makes your death animation not activate and allows you to make small jumps but your horizontal movement is hindered
-Pausing only works with the Joypad when pausing but doesnt when out of pausing
-You get Game Over when the lives counter goes to zero rather then going from zero to nothing like in the DKC series
-I'm not completely sure but Jumping off of a vertical rope feels off, it feels like you jump too low

Spoiler!

-You can see that i've lost a life before falling into the hole

Spoiler!

-In Scarlet Crystal Crossing a little more than after the Checkpoint Barrel, the stage tiles become invisible until near the end of the stage

Spoiler!

-In this picture I can skip most of the tight jumping through the Zingers by going into the Bonus Barrel, if I can just skip it, then what is the point of this part even existing for?

Spoiler!

-I get stuck in the corner, able to change direction but not move after hitting the goal

Spoiler!

-Kong vanishes when life lost while on the minecart
-the minecart animation is very jerky especially on steep slopes downward in which the animation doesn't stay still
-the game camera transitions clunky when entering a minecart
-The collision detection on the minecart is extremely poor, making Wrecked Rails nearly impossible if at all possible to complete
-Unlike in the DKC series, you can't always jump on any part of the rail regardless of you going up or not

Spoiler!

-Pointless to shoot up with the cannon considering how easy it is to jump into it from the ledge. I suggest the barrel not spin so fast but instead have the Zinger spin around it since Bonus Barrels do not move.
Spoiler!

-Dying after being shot out of a cannon in Barrel Cannon causes you to go into the first frames of the death animation but not for you to lose a life and instead you move either left or right forever

Spoiler!

-Invisible tiles issue as in Scarlet Crystal Crossing

Spoiler!

-Having Kritter and Kobble in the same stage is kind of pointless considering that they are essentially the same enemy

Spoiler!

-You can infinitely roll into Krusha until you bounce high into the air

Spoiler!

-This jump is impossible to make alone since you will die when you touch Flitter

Spoiler!

-Sometimes when the game is minimized, the world map will vanish (possibly due to it being a video?)

Spoiler!

-Dropping into this bonus barrel I go into the same stage with a timer as if it was a bonus stage and cant die when fall into a pit and when time runs out I start at the beginning of the stage with one life lost

Spoiler!

-Rolljumping onto ropes causes you to go through them and stage tiles are missing in that green area

Spoiler!

-The problem with jumping from ropes too low make it extremely difficult to make this jump and impossible for Diddy
-Surprisingly I couldn't find any technical problems with the Krizzossaurus battle as it is extremely easy aside that it gets stuck in an animation and moves right for no reason when you defeat it
-Buzzes are robotic Zingers and their appearence in Wrecked Rails doesn't make much sense since it is a Galleon/Minecart stage and not a mechanical stage

Suggestions:
-Pressing a button to select what Kong will come out of the DK Barrel
-I assume the world maps are videos files playing. If so you should turn the videos into gifs and piece the moving parts as animated sprites onto a still map to save space
-You guys should have a v-sync off version or an option in the menu to take it off because I believe that's what's causing most of the lag.

Spoiler!

-Some bonus stage art needs to be cleaned up (Pink pixels around DK)

Personal Gripes:
-I'm not a big fan of the music, most of doesn't sound very catchy to match up with a DKC game but that's just me
-I don't understand the need to include Kiddy as he is basically Donkey Kong except he can jump on Krushas. He seems like he can be optional to have played in the game rather then to be fully incorporated in it.

Even with all of it's flaws I like the atmosphere of the crystal stages, unusual for a first level in a game. I'm not sure but maybe I can contribute concepts for level design.
Tourist
Bananas received 16

Postby Simion32 » January 4th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Hey !!!!!, could you please put the images in Spolier tags if your post is going to be very long? Thanks. ;)

In Scarlet Crystal Crossing a little more than after the Checkpoint Barrel, the stage tiles become invisible until near the end of the stage

ATTENTION leo_core! This bug is due to hardware texture size limit!!

Only very new cards support using very large textures. It seems that in MMF2 the level CANNOT be one large bitmap/png image. You will have to adjust for this manually.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby EvangeliKong » January 4th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Well i fixed that "Destroy Them All"-screen by giving DK visible pupils.

Did they have time to add the fixed ones? i don't know.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Markster » January 6th, 2013, 6:31 am

I love the new demo, I played through a few levels, but I'm not sure if it's my computer or the game itself, but the game is not in 256x224 for me, it's 3x bigger resolution, and on my other computer, it's 2x bigger, it's very glitchy and slow on that resolution, how can I get it on 256x224?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » January 6th, 2013, 9:56 am

Right-click the taskbar and click size on the menu that pops up, then you just hover over the corner of the window and size it how you want.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » January 6th, 2013, 11:36 am

What I mean is that the game resolution is in 512x448, when I resize the window, it just makes it worse.

1.PNG
1.PNG (150.79 KiB) Viewed 93645 times

2.PNG
2.PNG (54.24 KiB) Viewed 93645 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » January 6th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Mine stretches to the whole window. Weird.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Scraps69 » January 7th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Hey lads, I gave your game a play:

Fantastic game, nailed the feel, the style, graphics, musical atmosphere and everything. Love it!

Anyways, I want this game to be perfect as it could possibly be so unfortunately I am listing bugs I noted as I played.

Bounciness of Tyres can feel off.
When you hit the DK barrell the KONGS hovers a little bit.
Kongs seems to have less traction then in DKC1,2,3. It's easy to fall off because you assume they will stop earlier.
In the Mine Cart Stage - the barrel shooting DK out into the cart sometimes doesn't do anything. It just keeps DK there and you cannot go anywhere. You have to exit the game in order to keep going.
In other stages where barrels are involved, sometimes DK won't shoot out and then just merely die without you knowing what happened.

In the Mine Cart Stage at the midway point, you have to hold on to jump before the barrel explodes in order to get the DK Barrell. I'm not sure if everyone would figure that out.
After the midway barrell, at the second zinger, very hard to jump over and in some cases you hit the zinger, and then you have no control and automatically hit the other zinger and die. I'm not sure if it's intended. If it's not, probably add some more invincibility so the Kongs can go through it.
In the mine cart level, I died before i got into the end barrell and for some reason the game thought I finished the level and I could proceed.
I'm also finding in the Mine Cart level (and probably the other levels) that the KONG letters arn't always saving. So, I collect K, O, N, G and then when I collect N it might assume I only collected K, or only O.

In the fourth level, Diddy's celebration when he gets to the end is not there. He just stands there. Again, when in a blast barrel, you sometimes don't blast out but merely die without anything happening.
Further, the dying animation doesn't happen when the character dies. They just stand there and you can press left and right.

I find for some reason in general in the game that Kiddy will suddenly speed up for no reason while in the air or while walking.
After the midway point in the fourth level I think, Kiddy Kong can't properly jump on a Dragonfly even if he lands directly on top. His hit detection failed. I had to restart the level because I had to use Diddy. I think this is near the end of the level when there are multiple dragonflies in the air and you have to jump really high to get the first one.
Here's another bug I found, after the death animation fail, after coming back into the level you can hardly move as if your character is still dead.

And the boss.. I'm not sure where the challenge to it is. I think the boss needs a bit more work. Perhaps fireballs, falling eggs or something for the Kongs to dodge as they run back, and if the boss was quicker to run. Man but at the moment the boss difficulty was a joke.

Hmmmmmm, and I noted something on the DKVine forum by MasterDS and I have to agree, that is that the Kong jump is fractionally floaty, and generally a fraction delayed movement. BUT even with this scheme, it still works great. It's just different from DKC1,2,3 that is all.

Anyways, I think what it comes down to at the end of the day, tuning the levels bugs.

Love the game, can't wait to play the full version.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks