Auto Convert Thingy

Any comments or suggestions regarding the DKC Atlas Forum can be posted here.

Auto Convert Thingy

Postby BlueTronic » March 16th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Qyz wrote:Blah blah auto convert. Blah blah long hand version. Blah blah make posts a little funny

Huh? :shock: I have no idea what you're talking about, but I understood "make posts a little funny" Exactly how will said rocket science work?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Re: Auto Convert Thingy

Postby Qyzbud » March 16th, 2008, 1:27 pm

It's called word censoring. Typically used to PG13ify crude language, but it's also able to replace acronyms like for your information with 'for your information'. In the Admin Control Panel there is a page that lets me type a word/phrase to replace, and then type a word/phrase to replace it with. Anyone browsing the forum will see the 'censored' version. There is an option which you can change that disables the censoring on your end. Posts will still be censored to others, but you will see whatever was originally written by you and others before censoring takes place.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » March 16th, 2008, 2:55 pm

So it's kind of like the auto correct feature on microsoft word?

:lol: My freshman year, in word processing class, I changed that feature to when you typed in "I" or "me" it would auto correct it to "Jackie Chan".

Was pretty hilarious.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby BlueTronic » April 5th, 2008, 11:12 am

I did that a couple of days ago. I made it where if you typed in the word "a" it replaed it with "akuna matata" and if you typed in "yes" it replaced it with "oui oui" (French for "yes").
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Jomingo » April 5th, 2008, 11:28 am

Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase....
Hakuna Matata, aint no passing phase.
It means no worries, for the rest of your days....

I love this movie!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » April 5th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Hey, we should start a thread... :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cody » November 9th, 2012, 9:10 pm

I'm wondering thy t-h-r-e-a-d is automatically converted to t-o-p-i-c :scratch:

test: thread
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » November 9th, 2012, 9:57 pm

It's because e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y seems to refer to 't-o-p-i-c-s' as 't-h-r-e-a-d-s'. :P

Really, it's just me being pedantic. The forum software we use (phpBB) was created with the term 'topic' used as the name for each discussion — you can see evidence of this all over the place (Active topics, Topic review, Subscribe topic, etc, etc...), so it's basically a combination of that and the fact that I personally dislike the word thread as a forum/discussion term.

If you want to use the word 'thread' for whatever reason (referring to clothing, other forums, etc.), you could always wrap one of the letters from the word in a font color tag — like so:

[color=#333]t[/color]hread ← pretty messy, I know. I'll come up with a better way to do this if there's enough demand.

So, you can use the term 'thread' if you want, but more often that not members here are using it to refer to a what we of the Atlas would call... a topic. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to DKC Atlas Forum Discussion