DK64 Character Modifier Code.

Talk about Donkey Kong 64 for the Nintendo 64.

DK64 Character Modifier Code.

Postby Geno » November 27th, 2012, 9:31 am

Using a character modifier code, I was given the ability to play as everyone, including Krusha, Rambi, and Enguarde, anywhere.
Now, this allows one to do things certain characters can't normally do.

Here's a list of the stuff.

All
- During a title screen demo, the player is still the right Kong, but they have the physics of the character you changed to be.
- After forcing your player to act like Rambi, Z + B does Diddy's Chimpy Charge :scratch:
- After forcing your player to act like Lanky, they can do OrangStand! (Does this work with all Cranky potions?)

DK
- When in Diddy's minecart area, he cannot move.
- When forcing DK to act like any other character, his fur sometimes flashes green and blue. :scratch:

Diddy
- After forcing Diddy to act like any Kong (who has a Control Stick + Z + B attack), (Control Stick) + Z + B does Tiny's attack.

Lanky Kong
- Can ride a minecart.
- After forcing Lanky to act like any Kong (who has a Control Stick + Z + B attack), (Control Stick) + Z + B does Tiny's attack.
- After forcing Lanky to act like Rambi, attacking produces this REALLY WEIRD VOICE CLIP!
- After forcing Lanky to act like Diddy, doing Diddy's double jump produces ANOTHER REALLY WEIRD VOICE CLIP!

Tiny Kong
- Is the only Kong who never picks up barrels in the game. However, she still has the ability to do so.
- Can also ride a minecart.

Chunky
- When in Diddy's minecart area, he cannot move.
- After forcing Chunky to act like any Kong (who has a Control Stick + Z + B attack), (Control Stick) + Z + B does Tiny's attack.

Rambi
- Can swim.
- Can enter Kong houses and they actually refer to him by name
- When in a "Kong house" Rambi is in a static standing animation.
- He also has unfinished sliding and falling animations. They both use DK sound effects
- When jumping towards a hover vine, he goes through it.
- When shot out of a cannon, he assumes the "falling" pose and when he lands, he starts sliding uncontrollably along the ground.
- Snide still refers to Rambi as "Kong".
- Rambi does not collide with the Tag Barrels
- When exiting Cranky's Lab, he gets stuck in the door.
- Cannot activate or use Bananaports
- Cannot use Battle Arena Pads
- When using his force field attack, Rambi becomes unable to move
- Can only throw oranges if you change the code to another character while being Rambi.
- Can ride a minecart. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen!
- Has no banana counter
- Can also hold barrels! It uses the same animation as riding a minecart.
- Victory animation is just running
- He cannot collect Multicoins
- Nothing damages him except Klobbers
- Getting a potion crashes the game

Krusha
- Has a falling animation
- Has a pose when being talked to, but it's just copied from Chunky.
- When Funky is supposed to give him a weapon, the game crashes.
- When Candy is supposed to give him an instrument, the game crashes.
- He can swing on hover vines
- Does not collide with the Tag Barrels
- When going to the "single kong" screen on the pause screen (the one where it shows you what each Kong collected), the game crashes
- Cannot activate or use Bananaports
- When sliding or getting shot out of a cannon, the animations AND voice clips are copied from Chunky
- Cannot use Battle Arena Pads
- His force field attack is just Chunky's, but with DK's yellow force field.
- He can ride a minecart, but all his animations are copied from Chunky
- Has Chunky's green bananas but can't collect them
- Can hold barrels too.
- Victory animation is copied from Chunky
- He cannot collect Multicoins
- Uses Chunky's "get potion" animation
- When forcing Krusha to act like anyone else, his skin flashes green and purple. :scratch:

Enguarde
- Whenever in an area that has water, he clips to the surface of the water and is unable to move.
- Oddly, the Kong's have animations for swimming like Enguarde, but the game crashes if the Kong/Enguarde thing attacks.
- Can only move with the Control Stick on land
- Enemies chase him, but don't damage him.

The code (Gameshark, of course)
Code: Select all
8074E77C 00??
Replace the "??" with
00 = Donkey Kong
01 = Diddy Kong
02 = Lanky Kong
03 = Tiny Kong
04 = Chunky Kong
05 = Krusha
06 = Rambi
07 = Enguarde
08 = Weird glitchy Squawks (possible dummied out character?)
09 = Another weird glitchy Squawks

NOTE: This code only changes the actual character if you exit the area you are in.
NOTE: To force a character to act like another character, change the value of the code WITHOUT going to a new area

Here's some screenshots of these "impossible actions".
Rambi at Cranky's
Spoiler!

Rambi at Funky's
Spoiler!

Rambi at Snidie's
Spoiler!

Rambi sliding
Spoiler!
That's rude!

Rambi SPEAKS!
Spoiler!

Rambi "tossing" an orange
Spoiler!

Rambi "in" a minecart
Spoiler!

Rambi "in" a minecart from behind
Spoiler!

Rambi "reaching for coins"
Spoiler!

Rambi "holding" a TNT barrel
Spoiler!

Rambi gets damaged
Spoiler!

Enguarde in Jungle Japes (after exiting Funky's place)
Spoiler!

Enguarde vs. the Gnawties
Spoiler!

Enguarde in a minecart?
Spoiler!

Diddy acting like Enguarde (try it out yourself! In motion, it looks like he's being hanged!! :dixiecry: )
Spoiler!

Krusha at Cranky's
Spoiler!

Krusha on a tree
Spoiler!

Krusha at Snidie's
Spoiler!

Krusha sliding
Spoiler!

Krusha cannon
Spoiler!

Krusha burps
Spoiler!

Krusha with a TNT barrel
Spoiler!

Krusha wins
Spoiler!

Krusha OrangStand
Spoiler!

DK Chimpy Charge
Spoiler!

DK OrangStand
Spoiler!

Diddy OrangStand
Spoiler!

Lanky in a minecart
Spoiler!

Lanky reaching for coins
Spoiler!

Lanky Chimpy Charge
Spoiler!

Tiny in a minecart
Spoiler!

Tiny jumping out of a minecart
Spoiler!

Tiny reaching for coins
Spoiler!

Tiny with a barrel
Spoiler!

Tiny Chimpy Charge
Spoiler!

Tiny OrangStand
Spoiler!

Chunky Chimpy Charge
Spoiler!

Ain't this cool?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Re: Unfinished characters?

Postby Qyzbud » November 27th, 2012, 9:51 am

This is all pretty cool, but perhaps this topic ought to be retitled to DK64 Character Modifier Code or something along those lines... :huh:

I think it's pretty awesome that these characters were given the ability to function so well in situations they weren't intended to encounter... could allow for some pretty cool hacking/fangame projects down the line. 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Unfinished characters?

Postby Geno » November 27th, 2012, 9:57 am

OK, changing topic title....

Got some more stuff on Rambi..

EDIT: And Krusha

If I find recording software, I could record a video of all this stuff. :swanky:

EDITEDIT: Lanky and Tiny in Minecarts! Wow.

And Krusha!

And Rambi!!

EDIT3: Rambi holds barrels!
And other stuff

Qyzbud
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Re: DK64 Character Modifier Code.

Postby Geno » November 28th, 2012, 9:53 am

Updated with some weird Lanky stuff.

Lanky as Rambi voice: http://cutstuff.net/molly/DBBKUP/weirdlankyvoice1.wav (sounds like he's saying "Look out shrimpy")
Lanky as Diddy voice: http://cutstuff.net/molly/DBBKUP/weirdlankyvoice2.wav

Why isn't anyone noticing? :kiddysad:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Qyzbud » November 28th, 2012, 12:48 pm

This is a good topic (thanks for the title/subject change, by the way), but I don't think everyone's a huge DK64 fan here, so you might have to wait to hear from those who are.

Thanks for all the images — it's good to see this stuff, and it proves what I've suspected all along; DK64's textures are terribly low-res. I truly believe that pound-for-pound the SNES did a far better job of capturing the essence of DK's adventures.
Just look at those blocky ground/wall textures! :facepalm:

I find this aspect really cool:

Cranky refers to Krusha by name — a nice touch, and quite amusing — especially since he makes no big deal out of the big brute's visit. :)

Lanky as Rambi voice: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5237238/weirdlankyvoice1.wav (sounds like he's saying "Look out shrimpy")

That sounds more like "Woohoo Flimpy!" to me... not that that means anything... :lol:

Also, both of those audio files have quite a few seconds of trailing silence, which means that 90% of the download is pointless. :roll:
I'm on a dial-up connection speed at the moment, so it's a nuisance for me. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Geno » November 28th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Yeah, sorry about those extra seconds. Audacity is being really stupid. :facepalm:

If you noticed, characters also refer to Enguarde and Rambi by name.

And those blocky textures are due to a filter I was using. It makes Mario Kart 64 look WAAAAAY better, but many other games look weird with it. (SM64's Shifting Sand Land is a great example of this.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Qyzbud » November 29th, 2012, 11:29 am

geno wrote:If you noticed, characters also refer to Enguarde and Rambi by name.

I didn't notice Squawks talking to Enguarde, to be honest — I only looked at about half of those pics... but even still, I find it a lot more funny seeing Cranky talk civilly with Krusha than with the 'friendly' characters. ;)

[...]those blocky textures are due to a filter I was using[...]

Isn't it just a lack of bilinear texture filtering?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » November 29th, 2012, 2:58 pm

I remember using a code that had these effects. I always found it interesting seeing all of the unique animations performed by different Kongs. Thanks for bringing this back to my, as well as the rest of the Atlas', attention!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 30th, 2012, 7:25 am

I loved Donkey Kong 64. I had an actual GameShark and cartridge and it had a lot of modifier cheats, I specifically remember being K. Rool. Sadly, my 101% save file ended up being erased by the hacking so yeah.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Soniccuz » November 30th, 2012, 9:19 am

Interesting! :)
Particularly enjoy seeing all the things Krusha can do.
I'm assuming him borrowing so much from Chunky would imply some relation between the two.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Geno » November 30th, 2012, 11:54 am

Soniccuz wrote:Interesting! :)
Particularly enjoy seeing all the things Krusha can do.
I'm assuming him borrowing so much from Chunky would imply some relation between the two.

Or maybe Krusha is just an edited Chunky.

Possibly, Krusha may have had a role in the main game. He could have been a traitor to K Rool (like K.Lumsy or Snide) and joined the Kongs.

It's possible you would have met Krusha in one of the later levels and he would have joined you. (Which may explain why all the current playable characters are all found early in the game.)

But I guess we'll never know.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Soniccuz » December 1st, 2012, 6:38 am

Edited from Chunky was what I meant to imply.
Certainly wasn't suggesting adding Krusha to the Kong's family tree . :lol:

That would be an interesting theory.I was thinking along the lines of a boss, but, of course, bosses in this game are nothing like the playable characters.
Krusha would have to grow like at least five more feet to be considered for that.

Hm, there was that Kasplat who tried to run out on K. Rool in a late cutscene.
That didn't really lead to anything, but swap him out for Krusha and maybe he could of been worked into the plot. :scratch:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Geno » December 1st, 2012, 9:21 am

Soniccuz wrote:Hm, there was that Kasplat who tried to run out on K. Rool in a late cutscene.
That didn't really lead to anything, but swap him out for Krusha and maybe he could of been worked into the plot. :scratch:

That cutscene is the Creepy Castle intro.

Maybe he would have been found trapped in one of the dungeons.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Soniccuz » December 1st, 2012, 10:42 am

Yeah, while I'm firmly one of DK64's fans, it does slightly erk me that some level intros devolve into throw away gags.
Even if not a playable Krusha, I could see the Kongs going through some mini game to free the Kasplat. Possibly to get one of the last blueprints. On the other hand I don't think that klap trap would leave much of him intact...

Anyway I'll have to try that code sometime though I am afraid of erasing the save file. Never had that problem with other games I sharked,
but then again I wasn't doing something this intense with it.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Simion32 » December 1st, 2012, 1:27 pm

Just shark everything on an emulator. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Geno » December 1st, 2012, 10:58 pm

Soniccuz wrote:Anyway I'll have to try that code sometime though I am afraid of erasing the save file. Never had that problem with other games I sharked,
but then again I wasn't doing something this intense with it.

Savestates. :swanky:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Ribbedebie » December 9th, 2012, 9:23 am

This is so cool! I mean, even when hacked the NPCs still refer to the characters by their names. Rambi, Enguarde, and Krusha! Pfft. Rambi in a mine cart cracks me up. :lol:

It does make me wonder if Krusha was to have a bigger role in the game at some point. How he's so much like Chunky in his movements might imply he was actually part of the DK crew some time or another? But got swapped for Chunky because it was KONGS ONLY? Or the other way around and he still got demoted to extra multiplayer character? Oh, so many questions! (If you compare Krusha to Chunky personality-wise, going with Krusha's personality from the cartoon, they did have pretty similar personalities as well!) Might I have permission to write about this on my Bejungled blog? It's a DKC fanblog. :P

Still I wish Krusha had a bigger role. He's cool. Not as cool as Klump, but still cool. :angry:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Qyzbud » December 9th, 2012, 10:05 am

Ribbedebie wrote:[...]It does make me wonder if Krusha was to have a bigger role in the game at some point.[...]
[...]Might I have permission to write about this on my Bejungled blog? It's a DKC fanblog.[...]

Nice of you to ask, but of course you should feel free to write to your heart's content about this... if you're ever concerned that you might be credited with someone else's discovery, perhaps just make mention of where you got your ideas somewhere on the page. This isn't necessary, but sometimes it's a nice thing to do. :)

In this case, I don't think geno actually discovered this code (correct me if I'm wrong, good sir), but even if he did, the resulting observations are fair game to write about, so long as you don't claim them to be your own discovery! At least that's the way I see things. 8-)

Maybe just link us to your article once you post it on Bejungled. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Ribbedebie » December 9th, 2012, 11:15 pm

D'aw, alright! I always try to source my things. I'd feel bad not saying who made things... Especially on my Tumblr, when I post art made by others, I always put a link back and outright specify that I didn't draw it. Heh.

And sure, once it's finished I'll post it right here. :thumbs:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Geno » December 14th, 2012, 11:36 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I don't think geno actually discovered this code (correct me if I'm wrong, good sir)

You couldn't be more right, I didn't discover the code.

I'm the first to document this crazy stuff though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Return to Donkey Kong 64