Donkey Kong Land III - Spanish translation!

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

Donkey Kong Land III - Spanish translation!

Postby Blaziken257 » November 22nd, 2012, 3:10 pm

A little more than a month ago, I made an English translation of the GBC version. Now, there is a Spanish translation as well! This was a collaborative effort done by Kiddy14 and me. Kiddy14 did all the translating, while I did all the hacking. The result is amazing.

Since the DK games generally use level names with alliteration, the Spanish translation also uses alliteration in many of the level names. So, while some level names were not literally translated, they are still creative and it feels as though it could have been official. Of course, some level names were translated directly, and there are a few levels (not many) that borrowed names from DKC3 GBA, but the latter doesn't occur nearly as often as it does in the Japanese version, where it occurs a little too much. But overall, alliteration was the main priority, and I'm sure you'll all love it.

Also worth noting: Enemy names in this translation are based on the DKC3 names, not the DKL3 names (from the GB version), so here, they're known as Re-Koil, Minkey, Knik-Knak, and Knocka, not Rekoil, Minky, Niknak, or Krusha. A few characters (such as Bear) also received translated names, but most of them stayed the same, as they're proper nouns.

Finally, a couple of features that were inexplicably removed in the Japanese version have been restored in this Spanish translation. This includes the world map animations and the "Last time" text (in Spanish: "Último Tiempo") on the Time Attack screen. This was difficult for me to do (and took me many hours), especially restoring the world map animations (I had to find the code in the GB version, find the surrounding code, find that same surrounding code in the GBC version, insert the missing code by hand, and test/debug it, if you want an idea), but in the end, it works perfectly! I also plan to add these back in the English patch eventually. Bear's animation was not restored, though, due to low priority (the first time I played the Japanese version, I didn't even notice the lack of animation until I saw him in the cast list, whereas I noticed the missing map animations right away, to put it into perspective), but it can likely be done in the future.

Certain graphical-based text was not translated (namely, the "Teleport" sign in Sheepy Shop Tienda Tarlatana, the "Start" sign when beating K. Rool for the final time, and the "Time Attack" sign on the Time Attack screen), because these graphics are all compressed, they all use fancy font styles, and my artistic skills are poor to change the text and preserve the general style. I hope nobody minds. I noticed that even official translations of games don't translate everything, either, so I don't feel that bad.

Well, anyway... without further ado, here's the Spanish patch!! Download it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?w7tb07rxxuo19ff (Apply to an unmodified Japanese ROM.)
¡Gracias por jugarlo! ¡Disfruta de la traducción española! :P

And here are screenshots:
Spoiler!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And some screenshots that are further into the game (spoiler warning!):
Spoiler!
Image Image Image Image Image Image

(Finally... apart from updating the English patch eventually, it's unlikely that I will be working on other translations for a long time (nothing short of 6 months), because both these hacks took me quite a long time, and I've been burned out here. In addition, I don't even know any other languages (I only know English, and Spanish somewhat), so I can't even check for accuracy. However, I will document my notes eventually, once I have them organized, in case people want to work off one of these two translations.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: Donkey Kong Land III - Spanish translation!

Postby Qyzbud » November 23rd, 2012, 9:42 am

Well done on another quality translation hack! Especially exciting to hear of your collaboration with Kiddy14, who used to be a regular here, but has been absent from the Atlas in quite some time... it's good to know you haven't lost interest in Donkey Kong, Kiddy — come back and say 'hi' sometime! :D

Oh Blaziken257, didn't you say you had put a promo/demo video of this up on YouTube? You should share it here, and I'll pop it on the Atlas news report, too. :)

Good work releasing this in time for DKC Day, by the way!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gaz » November 24th, 2012, 3:28 am

Once again, the genius Blaziken257 has got badass pecs showing again!

P.S. Look at what I found;
Donkey Kong GB - Dinky Kong & Dixie Kong (Spanish Hack).png
The GBC only screen in Spanish!
Donkey Kong GB - Dinky Kong & Dixie Kong (Spanish Hack).png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 16898 times
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Blaziken257 » November 24th, 2012, 6:59 am

Thanks to you both! It was hard work by both of us, so I'm glad you two like it. And the funny thing was that I didn't plan for this to be released on DKC Day, but with all the time we spent on it, it ended up nearing completion earlier this week, so the 21st ended up being a good day to release it. :D

@Qyzbud: While Kiddy isn't seen here much these days, I know he lurks here once in a while, and I do show him threads from time to time. I'll show him this one too, so he can see what you said to him. :P Also, he is still on YouTube, so you can always talk to him there.

And yes, here is the video that you're looking for:

Enjoy!

@Gaz: Haha, I was wondering how long it would take until someone would see what would happen when trying to play the game on a monochrome Game Boy or a Super Game Boy. No stone was left unturned in this patch, and the screen was also translated in the English hack I made. (That being said, I wonder if someone can come up with a new design for that; I couldn't think of anything better than using the DKC2 font for the DKL3 header on top, and I wonder what people think of that custom font in the main text (which I had to use to fit in three lines).)

For reference, this is what the screen looks like in the Japanese version and the English patch:
DKL3 JP DMG screen.png
Japanese screen that appears when playing DKL3 GBC on a DMG.
DKL3 JP DMG screen.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 16890 times
DKL3 EN DMG screen.png
English screen that appears when playing DKL3 GBC on a DMG.
DKL3 EN DMG screen.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 16890 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Gaz » November 24th, 2012, 10:19 am

Blaziken. I know another little easter egg. You restored the animations in this version, but not the English hack. Sneaky man, you are.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Blaziken257 » November 24th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Yep. I already mentioned this in my first post, and I also mentioned that I have plans to eventually update the English patch with restored animations.

Blaziken257 wrote:Finally, a couple of features that were inexplicably removed in the Japanese version have been restored in this Spanish translation. This includes the world map animations and the "Last time" text (in Spanish: "Último Tiempo") on the Time Attack screen. This was difficult for me to do (and took me many hours), especially restoring the world map animations (I had to find the code in the GB version, find the surrounding code, find that same surrounding code in the GBC version, insert the missing code by hand, and test/debug it, if you want an idea), but in the end, it works perfectly! I also plan to add these back in the English patch eventually. Bear's animation was not restored, though, due to low priority (the first time I played the Japanese version, I didn't even notice the lack of animation until I saw him in the cast list, whereas I noticed the missing map animations right away, to put it into perspective), but it can likely be done in the future.

The reason why I didn't add them in the English patch was because the whole restoration process took me a very long time, and the English patch already took me weeks, even without restoring the animated maps, or the Last Time text for that matter. I wasn't even initially sure that restoring them would be possible, and at the time I primarily focused on editing the text. Since the Spanish translation took me less time to do (due to me already having notes on how to edit text and doing necessary ASM hacks), I decided to spend some time restoring the animated maps and the Last Time text, despite my uncertainty of being able to do it. (Good thing that the animated tiles still exist in the exact same place in the Japanese version -- this made my job slightly easier.)

This sort of thing happens in retail games too. For example, the DKC games are released at different times in various regions, and the regions that get them later generally have the better version (bug fixes, etc.). (This is not always true, though -- North America got DKC3 GBA after the rest of the world, yet it's the buggiest version.)

Also, having restored these things, I have to say that I have no idea why they were taken out of the Japanese version. It wasn't due to technical limitations, and it doesn't cause any problems that I know of. The only reason that I can think of was that Rare was lazy or something, or perhaps was on some heavy time constraint (despite the game taking more than two years to port!).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Return to ROM Hacks