Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4!!! begin ;)

Postby leo_core » August 27th, 2012, 5:05 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I have a suggestion for your website, leocore. Since a lot of us here speak English, and you may have other people go that speak different languages, you might want to add google translate to your site.

Oh, great! Currently who edits the blog is Aryel, I'll suggest it to him. Thank you.

Phyreburnz wrote:By the way, I made a new level and it's in the DKLB sprite/animation submission section. The level is a vertical version of Treetop Town. I also made a fake preview screenshot that's in the custom level ideas. I was thinking of Tree Trunk Treachery as the level name, and Simion suggested Treacherous Treadwood, but if you have a better name, feel free to use it!

It's really amazing! I thought "Glimmering Galleon" would be his masterpiece but I see that your creativity has no limits! It was great, I have no doubt that we will use this level as well. Well, "Treacherous Treadwood" I think a good name, so I will use he.

Markster wrote:I can't wait for the September 15 demo! :thumbs:
I've played the old demo hundreds of times.

Thanks Markster, we are also eager to arrive soon on 15 Set!

Edit:
I must mention that the Simion's DKCRE is saving me hours of hard work with sprites!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Markster » August 27th, 2012, 10:44 am

Did you mean DKCRE, and yes, it's saving ME tons of work too, on DKCGM/DKC Kremling Invasion Confirmed, it's hard to get it to work on an old PC though, anyways, I can't wait for the new demo, how big will the new demo be, how many levels, enemies, etc.?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby leo_core » August 27th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Ooops.. is DKCRE, fixed. Thanks Markster.

Has krems, buddies and some levels... but the number of levels is not yet defined.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 29th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Leo, I am in LOVE with what you and your team have accomplished.

The engine is spot on, you can play as the classic four Kongs, the map screen is amazing, the levels are beautifully detailed; it's the perfect tribute to the Donkey Kong Country series.

I haven't said anything here before because your work has been inspiring me to work on finishing my projects. In fact, I'm gaining a lot of progress on my Mr. X sprite. I was thinking how well he would fit together with your "Kremyard" level so if I get it finished before too long, you guys have every right to use it if you want to. :D
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby leo_core » August 29th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Thank you Katastrophe Kong! Glad to see that our modest project will inspire you.
We're running and working hard to launch the second demo with minimal bug's possible.

Okay, if you want to collaborate with something, we will be happy to add your cooperation to our project. :thumbs:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » August 31st, 2012, 5:52 am

New level added, "The Kremlahari" by Aryel:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » August 31st, 2012, 5:56 am

I saw the Kremahari Desert on Facebook and immediately came here to comment. I instantly thought that a mummy Kremling would be awesome.

For Desert tiles, might I suggest a couple games you could borrow from?

Cool Spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsbwXl-EuHw
Banjo Kazooie Textures: http://www.textures-resource.com/other_ ... sheet/4189
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » September 1st, 2012, 1:50 am

I can't wait for your next video update! I love the desert level. That's an idea that's been tossed around for quite a while, I think. I'm glad I'll be able to see it in action!

I also agree with Ton, I immediately thought a mummy Kremling would go nicely. I'm not that great with modeling... and I have been sort of neglecting the ones I should be working on :facepalm: ... or I would volunteer to try to make one.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » September 2nd, 2012, 12:21 pm

lolz, a mummy Kremling would be great!

Phyre, I think I will not post any more video preview because I'm running like a madman with sprites and adjustments to launch the DKC4 demo on the 15th (giving assistance to João Pedro), and I am also working in DKC Tiny's Safari with camera adjustments, animations, Tiny moves, etc etc... then there's no time for anything else until the 15th.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » September 2nd, 2012, 2:21 pm

I was doing a count here with enemies already have for the project, is giving a total of 132 different types so far (many are recolored and customized).

I was thinking of doing "bad buddies", for example, a "bad Rambi" mounted by a Kremling, this could be interesting ... but is difficult to achieve a Kremling with mounted animation.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » September 2nd, 2012, 2:31 pm

Maybe. It depends on the Kremling. I think your best bet would be to use Klank (the skull cart riding Kremling in DKC2). I could try to see if it could work... But, might I suggest a different colour for evil Rambi? Maybe a dark red or something?

I'll see what I can do and maybe it'll work...

I'm still in the process of making a cluster of pyramids for a background image in the desert level. I'm making this image into a sprite: Image

So far, I've made the three smaller pyramids into sprites already, now onto the big ones.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » September 2nd, 2012, 2:58 pm

Klank! is a great idea! But the problem is that, in the first hit Klank lose the "evil Rambi" and would have to come walking, but Klank have only mounted animation... but if you have any idea about that, can do, will be very interesting.
A color for the "evil Rambi" may be what you think is best, this would be a very cool addition to the engine.

Some pyramids in the desert will be great! :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » September 2nd, 2012, 4:01 pm

Here's Klank riding a red Rambi.
klank-on-red-rambi.gif
klank-on-red-rambi.gif (16.3 KiB) Viewed 120849 times

Klank does have a death animation (and Klank is the same as Kutlass without the swords... I'm not sure how easily one could remove the swords to make him walk... but I could try...), but what I suggest that this is a baddy you have to jump on to defeat. So, after you jump on the Klank to kill him, you could either make it so you have to jump on evil Rambi again to kill him, OR, have evil Rambi's colour flicker from red to grey, and when you jump on him again, you've got yourself a Rambi.

*EDIT* I've edited Kutlass's sprites to get rid of the swords. I animated him walking (and a test one of him turning, the turning one works, I just didn't save the animation) to see what you thought. I can give you the PSD if you'd like. Also, with the Klank riding the Rambi, I didn't do any sprite editing (other than recolouring), but I can give you that PSD too, if you'd like... I can also animate him turning on Rambi for you, as well.

kutlass-without-swords.gif
kutlass-without-swords.gif (2.77 KiB) Viewed 120846 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 2nd, 2012, 5:19 pm

Yeah, it'd definitely be more fun if they enemy stole your animal buddy. For a name, how about "Plunder" or "Hijack"?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Cosmicman » September 3rd, 2012, 11:17 am

Evil Rambi looks great, is it too hard to put some kind of armor on his head, nose or legs to differenciate him from the real Rambi a bit more? Maybe something easier like red eyes or something like that? Or maybe his nose spike pointing forward to inflict more damage? That way it would show he means business :thumbs:

Edit: I hope you don't mind I took a frame of your file and painted over it. Something like this
Attachments
evil rambi 2.png
evil rambi 2.png (3.61 KiB) Viewed 120825 times
evil rambi.png
evil rambi.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 120825 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Scraps69 » September 4th, 2012, 12:09 am

This is turning out to be very sexy. Love the cloudy world!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby leo_core » September 4th, 2012, 6:05 am

Wow Phyre, you are amazing! You can send the PSD for me? I'll start working on it, it'll be really interesting.

Cosmicman,
It was fantastic the Rambi with this mask, the horn can keep the original position, I thought it is more consistent to a rhinoceros.
Phyre, is that you could put this mask that Cosmicman made ​​in frames of animation "Rambi evil"? And what name will you give to this "evil Rambi"?
I'm very excited about it, it'll be something very innovative!

Scraps69
Thanks! :dixiehappy:

lolz, I found another video review to our project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqVRHxCSkD4

lmao, I found this article in the Nintendo Gamer magazine's website (with the video showing Glimmering Galleon, I love this stage! It is guaranteed for 15th playable demo!):
http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/08/0 ... promising/

Another article, Italian site:
http://www.nintendo-meyf.it/news_dettaglio.php?id=4085

Here in this list of ten games fan:
http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendoart ... ial-games/

Enough for today, I found a lot about our project on the internet and that makes me very happy =O)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » September 7th, 2012, 9:07 am

Sorry it's been a while. I've been very busy. I'll upload the PSD of the walking Klank and the PSD of Klank riding Rambi eventually... hopefully within the next few days.

I would also like to look into using the mask idea, but I sort of doubt if it'll work... I'm gonna have to rotate the mask for just about every single frame, which will take some work. I'd also have to make two sprites of the mask turning forward.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » September 8th, 2012, 7:53 am

I'n anxious able to work with these sprites!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » September 8th, 2012, 10:44 am

Okay! Finally! I've uploaded both the zipped PSD and the sprite sheets of the edited Rambi and Klank. This is important to note: the colours of the sprites will be slightly different in the PSD than the sprite sheets. I explained more about it in the sprite/animation submission thread.

I also tried to work with the helmet idea, but it won't work. I rotated it as best I could, but it still looks off. I don't think I can get it to look right.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » September 9th, 2012, 4:43 am

It was great Phyre! I'll try to put the mask (helmet) on Rambi, thanks!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 9th, 2012, 2:35 pm

I'm gaining some real progress on Mr. X (sorry it's taking so long, I'm a perfectionist).

Here's what his attack will look like. I still need to add shading and proper coloring, however. I based this off of Krook's attack.

His idle is about 70% finished.
His attack is about 50% finished.
And I've yet to start his hit/defeat animations, but I already have some ideas in mind.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Phyreburnz » September 9th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Oh, Katastrophe! That's amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product! :thumbs: I'm jealous of your ability to make sprites from scratch like that! All I can really do is edit existing ones!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 9th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:Oh, Katastrophe! That's amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product! :thumbs: I'm jealous of your ability to make sprites from scratch like that! All I can really do is edit existing ones!

Your "Evil Rambi" sprite is coming along nicely too ;)
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Cosmicman » September 9th, 2012, 9:42 pm

leo_core wrote:It was great Phyre! I'll try to put the mask (helmet) on Rambi, thanks!

Leo you got too much on your hands, I will take care of the mask Rambi.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby leo_core » September 10th, 2012, 5:34 am

Cosmicman wrote:
leo_core wrote:It was great Phyre! I'll try to put the mask (helmet) on Rambi, thanks!

Oh! Thanks Cosmicman, So I'll leave it at your own ok? (Hey, I sent something to you by MP)

=====

Katastrophe Kong, your custom Mr. X is amazing, truly amazing! keep up the good work man!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » September 10th, 2012, 6:04 am

I feel bad for not being able to make the mask look right... :oops: I'm just really busy now, since classes started.

By the way, I like the names Ton suggested. I would like to tweak a suggestion and throw out Hijak (I know, one letter difference, but it fits the "K" theme better)... and I thought of another possible name, Konker.... or have it Kommand and Konker (for both, like the Kremling is Konker and evil Rambi is Kommand)...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » September 10th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Do not worry about it Phyre, you've done enough! The Cosmicman already proposed to add the mask.

The map of the first area has undergone some changes. Was added to the ship "Glimmering Galleon" and the forest "Scarlet Crystal Crossing."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKqp6jCCHAI
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby doug kong » September 11th, 2012, 1:45 am

hey leo i was thinking about doing a retro phase (inspired by donkey kong atari 2600) would serve well as a phase only secret is give you its ok that I start to edit a phase

portugues:hey ,leo eu estava pensando em fazer uma fase retro(inspirada por donkey kong atari 2600)serviria bem como uma fase secreta é só você dar seu ok que eu começo a editar uma fase
dk atari2600.png
dk atari2600.png (12.06 KiB) Viewed 120579 times
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby leo_core » September 11th, 2012, 5:51 am

ahahaha great!!! Can start doing this can be an easter egg for the game in a secret place.
Are u from? You can speak Portuguese or used a translator?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 11th, 2012, 7:50 am

You could also do one made of the girders from the opening to the first game.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 11th, 2012, 3:30 pm

I just had to ask: will any of the Kong Family helpers appear in this game? Like Cranky, Wrinkly, Funky, Candy, Swanky, ect.?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Cosmicman » September 12th, 2012, 2:04 pm

leo_core wrote:
Cosmicman wrote:

Oh! Thanks Cosmicman, So I'll leave it at your own ok? (Hey, I sent something to you by MP)

Here is a preview of his new mask, what do you think, I can change the placement of his eyes or the color, just let me know what you think and I will change it before sending the final image to Phyreburnz so she can work her magic because I can create the image but I suck at everything else. :headache:

I over sized the image so it would be better to see the details in case anything needs to be changed.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby leo_core » September 13th, 2012, 5:30 am

Katastrophe Kong wrote:I just had to ask: will any of the Kong Family helpers appear in this game? Like Cranky, Wrinkly, Funky, Candy, Swanky, ect.?

Confirmed so far, we have: Cranky and Funky

This is AMAZING Cosmic!
Spoiler!

Is perfect, unless Phyre want to change something, is so great for me!

Phyreburnz wrote:Kommand and Konker (for both, like the Kremling is Konker and evil Rambi is Kommand)...

Kommand and Konker
I like that name, it helps to convey the idea concisely, both characters are in a symbiosis (which one depends on the other).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » September 13th, 2012, 5:41 am

Guys, unfortunately we are forced to postpone the release of the second demo for the day 22/09

We want this demo has the fewest errors and is very complete, with at least 5 stages and 1 boss.

I spoke today with João Pedro he handed me the schedule him that if there were no unexpected serious, could launch on Sunday. But that date without having the assurance of having the head area and without having enough time to complete the beta test, this could result in a demo with errors and do not want that.

We do not want a project that we worked on for months, turning day and night, has a demo incomplete and with errors. We want a decent demo, with varied enemies, maps and well finished with the minimum possible errors.

I can assure that an extra week will make a big difference, we have a "follow mimic" partner very faithful to the originals, among other things. Well, that's it, I'm sure I can count on the understanding of you guys who accompany us on this journey.

To compensate for the delay, 15/09, I'll fix some bugs with the beta we provide to those who help us and post for everyone.

Follow the preparations and progress with the engine of João Pedro on Twitter, he will post every day on preparations with the engine until the release date:
https://twitter.com/NecroToad
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super Luigi! » September 13th, 2012, 2:10 pm

I understand, leo_core. You don't have to worry for my sake, as just like with DKCRE and LB, I can wait 5 years for it to be complete! Besides, the demo, like you said, will be be even more amazing without any bugs or errors.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 14th, 2012, 10:57 am

leo_core wrote:(Awesome Picture)

That little pink Kong in the background must be one of those mimic partners!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby leo_core » September 14th, 2012, 11:07 am

Super Luigi! wrote:I understand, leo_core. You don't have to worry for my sake, as just like with DKCRE and LB, I can wait 5 years for it to be complete! Besides, the demo, like you said, will be be even more amazing without any bugs or errors.

An extra week of waiting will be worth it!

Katastrophe Kong wrote:
leo_core wrote:(Awesome Picture)

That little pink Kong in the background must be one of those mimic partners!

No a mimic partner... this is a easter egg character that will get in the game... somewhere hidden... ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » September 14th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Area 1 map finished (this is static image, but in the game the scene is lively:)
Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby hiperkalango » September 15th, 2012, 7:01 am

Who missed the game Edit :swanky:
I'm back to help the game progress
I think the final version of the game will be ready to take
More will do everything possible to get out something decent and faithful to the original
this is it guys
let me get back to engine
see you later
:nicework:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby leo_core » September 16th, 2012, 5:49 am

Boss is back! ehehe

I made a terrible mistake in making the scenario of area 1 with the Glimmering Galleon ship in an open environment! Glimmering Galleon has the background cave with crystals!

When you're on the map, the ship is in outdoor, when you enter the level, is in a cave... you will think:
"OMG! I was teleported to a parallel universe!" ahahahaa

Well... I'll try to fix that ... put some rocks and crystals around the ship... :s

==============

As I had promised for today, here is the public beta for those who want to download.

I apologize for being so short one, we barely have time to eat and sleep working on everything that goes on demo.
Accept and issue a challenge, who will be the first to find the DK coin and the letter "O" of "KONG" in this beta? They are well hidden!
Download:
http://www.bigupload.com/en/file/56971/ ... t.rar.html
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 16th, 2012, 6:19 am

I wish my Internet was faster so I could play this sooner! C'mon, Google Chrome, download faster!

EDIT: I found the "O" and the DK coin!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby VideoViking » September 16th, 2012, 7:05 am

I am having problems downloading the file. Bigupload.com is very slow.

Please upload the beta RAR file to a different server.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 16th, 2012, 7:22 am

Yeah, the download wait was pretty abnormal.

Anyways, I have two heads for Mr. X. I haven't been able to do much more because of school (Chemistry teacher assigns FOUR assignments in one day).
This head is for his "idle/moving" animations. I could edit it to suit his "hit" animation.
This head is for his "attacking" animation. He draws his head back to throw like Krook does. The animation looks a little sloppy because I didn't bother too much when aligning it in Photoshop.

Now all they need is coloring and shading. Thanks for the reference to "Rotsprite", Phyre! May you Burnz for many years to come.

As for his "hit" animaton, do you think he should whip his head back in pain, using a modified 2nd head, or should he yell in shock, using a modified 1st head?

And for his "defeat" animation, should he just disapear into smoke clouds, or should he twirl around into void like those Ghost Ropes from Gloomy Gulch?

Boy, ImageShack is such a pain trying to log into.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby leo_core » September 16th, 2012, 8:09 am

kingizor, thanks for mirror!
Katastrophe Kong, you found very fast these hidden items ehehe
Wow, your Mr. X is getting very good! Really very good, great work! Impressive!

I'll try to answer your questions regarding Mr. X take hit, attack and die (I do not speak English, I hope I can convey the idea):

"hit" animaton:
I think he should whip his head back in pain, using a modified 2nd head.

Attack:
He draws his head back to throw like Krook does.

"defeat" animation:
should he just disapear into smoke clouds, sounds good to me.

But I wanted to make it on your own, I'm sure you will do a good job.

I wonder if you could finish it, not totally, just walking (it will float in the air to walk?).
Maybe we can make an appearance in the demo, a small appearance, just walking (or floating) animation.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby VideoViking » September 16th, 2012, 8:11 am

BitDefender picked up your program as a virus. I was forced to delete it. So I am unable to test it.

Leo Core, can you create an alternate version of the beta test so that I can test it? I'll post a log here shortly (after I restart the computer, of course).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 16th, 2012, 8:14 am

leo_core wrote:I wonder if you could finish it, not totally, just walking (it will float in the air to walk?).
Maybe we can make an appearance in the demo, a small appearance, just walking (or floating) animation.

Thanks! I'll start working on getting his "idle" finished right now.

I just need to color his heads and tweak his other arm and he's done.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby leo_core » September 16th, 2012, 8:16 am

VideoViking wrote:BitDefender picked up your program as a virus. I was forced to delete it. So I am unable to test it.

Leo Core, can you create an alternate version of the beta test so that I can test it? I'll post a log here shortly (after I restart the computer, of course).

I do not understand ... is just a compilation of the project. Not used any external EXE compressor. Anyone else had this kind of problem? Sorry for inconviniente, but do not really understand... this could not be a heuristic virus detection?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby VideoViking » September 16th, 2012, 8:25 am

According to Bitdefender, your program was considered a keylogger. Simion will explain what a keylogger does.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks