DKCLB Sprite/Animation Submissions

The dream tool of any hardcore DKC player, the DKCLB aims to make editable in unison all elements from the original DKC Trilogy, and allow customization of it all, too! Powered by the Delta Suite.

Re: DKCLB Sprite/Animation Submissions

Postby Phyreburnz » June 24th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Here is the PSD for Glimmering Galleon.

glimmering galleon smaller.zip
(3.96 MiB) Downloaded 1589 times

I have to upload the ice walls in a separate file, because it was too big.

gg ice.zip
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 1503 times

I do not have the backgrounds with it. I only did a little bit of recolouring for the DKC2 mine, and if you want that, I'll also upload it, but all I did was make it more teal to match the foreground crystals better. I used the DKC2 water foregrounds with the opacity around 85%. All the other background stuff (which I think is just the main crystals) aren't modified and are on TSR.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » June 27th, 2012, 4:16 am

Here are the animations of DK floating and DK-Kiddy switch (the one that involves both slapping)

This one has ONE edited DK sprite, all the rest are in-game. The only edited sprite is the last slap when DK is in front. Normally, his hand would be vertical, but I made it horizontal to work with Kiddy better.
kiddy dk switch.zip
(68.37 KiB) Downloaded 1552 times

dk floating test2.zip
(48.61 KiB) Downloaded 1517 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » June 28th, 2012, 5:38 am

kiddy dk switch updated in our project using your animation Phyre, thanks!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » August 26th, 2012, 5:58 am

Here is my custom level combo of Treetop Town and Winky's Walkway. It's a zipped PSD.

treetop town vertical shorter.zip
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 1494 times

This is the recoloured background tiles of the DKC3 forest.

backgrounds recoloured.zip
(219.66 KiB) Downloaded 1514 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » August 26th, 2012, 8:01 am

Cool level Phyre! :dixiehappy:

.............. *mind blank* ... I think we need better image compression! :facepalm:

7z is supported by the forum now, by the way. :banana:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » August 26th, 2012, 9:08 am

Thanks! Do you have any ideas for a level name? I'm kinda stumped. :scratch:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » August 27th, 2012, 2:11 am

Phyreburnz, you done a great job at making that level design, sadly, the only Photoshop I got is Photoshop Elements 3, but it worked in it, it's a really old version my mom bought in 2004/2005, it doesn't work that well on Vista/7, but great on XP.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby leo_core » August 27th, 2012, 5:10 am

Great submit Phyre! You should work as game level design :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » September 8th, 2012, 10:41 am

I'm going to do this one in a few different files.

Now, this is important, the colours in the PSD are going to be slightly different than those in the PSD. I suggest using the sprite sheets, because I have all of the animations of Klank (plus the more edited ones, like him turning and turning on Rambi), and all the animations of Rambi in the sheets, not the PSD. I guess the PSD is more for reference than anything useful, probably.

red klank edited copy.png
red klank edited copy.png (34.84 KiB) Viewed 102199 times

red rambi.png
red rambi.png (90.36 KiB) Viewed 102199 times

klank on red rambi.zip
(60.86 KiB) Downloaded 1416 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » September 10th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Nice job Phyreburnz. I see Klank and Rambi fell for the old "Red Kool-Aid" trick again!

:thumbs: and a :banana: if you get the reference! Also, in DKC, I think it should be called "Krool-Aid"!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 17th, 2012, 9:51 am

Here are the "Idle" and "Floating" animations for Mr. X. They already have opacity applied (I felt 75% would be a fair amount) and the "Idle" now bobs up and down ominously. Both are saved in .PSD format.

Mr. X - Idle (Opaque + Bobbing)
https://www.box.com/s/8hfh0uro2qlkpe7v6wz1

Mr. X - Floating (Opaque)
https://www.box.com/s/e29v13px15sd5wek5gv7
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Super Luigi! » September 18th, 2012, 12:44 am

Mr X. looks very menacing, Katastophe Kong! You have done a great job!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Qyzbud » October 4th, 2012, 9:11 pm

I never chipped in my two cents, KK, but I'm really impressed by your Mr X animation. You've done a great job of breathing life into the undead. :lol:

Have you thought of animating the waist of Mr X's coat, to make it look like the tatters are swishing with his movement, or perhaps even blowing gently in the breeze? I reckon that would make the animation more dynamic, and would look great. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » October 9th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Here is my custom cloud level (using Leo's sprites), Insane Biplane. I wrote about it in the custom level idea thread. Basically, it's a flying level in which you'll be using the Funky's Flights II plane.

The file name is Funky's Flight Fright, but I've decided to change the name to Insane Biplane, so please ignore "Funky's Flight Fright."

funky's flight fright.7z
(4.85 MiB) Downloaded 1439 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » October 18th, 2012, 1:21 pm

I've actually been wanting to try this for a little while, but I've taken one of the background layers from treetop town, and edited it slightly so they can stack vertically. I forgot which treetop colour I used to create the level... and I guessed wrong the first time, so that's why I made the white one, too. I'm sure that this will work for a background, but I'm not sure what everybody would prefer to use if they use my custom level.

In the future, I'd also like to attempt to make the furthest background able to be stacked. I'm not quite sure when I'll get a chance to try the furthest background, but I promise I'll try.

vertical treetops background 1.png
vertical treetops background 1.png (43.42 KiB) Viewed 101990 times

Because of my vertical treetops level combining walkway elements, I actually prefer the DKC3 forest background, because the straight trees are... as strange as it may sound... makes the level too vertical. But just in case, I'm going to leave it here. Maybe if anybody else makes a vertical treetops level, or if I make one, somebody can use it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » October 18th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Nice job on that background, Phyreburnz. :) I've been meaning to try my hand at modifying a few backgrounds to make them more versatile, and the Tree Top Town graphics are a good one to start with.

Since background graphics don't really fit within the sprite/animation category, why not start a new topic for Custom/Modified Backgrounds? That or we could expand the scope of this topic... but I think a new one would be the better option.

What do you guys think?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » October 19th, 2012, 5:17 am

Well, other than little things that pop in my head, or suggestions I get, I am pretty much done with animating sprites... unless I go back and try to fix that horrible plane turning abomination.... err.... animation, but that's just me.

Recently, I've been focusing more on editing levels and backgrounds. It might be a good idea to separate the two into animation submissions and level/background submissions. But I just feel lonely posting here... since I'm almost the only one that posts in this section... :cry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » October 27th, 2012, 1:32 pm

I fixed the order of the Dixie on ledge animation. The second layer is not used (which is why I specified), but I included it... just because, I guess.
1-6 are what she does when she first encounters the ledge, then 7-14 repeat and go back and forth (like once you get to 14, it goes back to 13, 12, 11, etc) until she's moved from said ledge.

I'm pretty sure if you downloaded the first one, you don't need to redownload. I didn't change any of the animation, just the order. I'm pretty sure that when I save the PSD, it saves the animation, too, which is why I reuploaded it. So if you did download it before, just make sure when you play the animation, you do what I said up there.
Attachments
dixie on ledge animation order fixed.zip
(33.53 KiB) Downloaded 1413 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » November 14th, 2012, 7:15 am

I still have to make the cloud puffs for running. Those will be coming soon.
Attachments
cloud puffs and dust puffs.zip
(12.04 KiB) Downloaded 1446 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » November 15th, 2012, 10:47 am

I'm going to be uploading the animations of each Kong when in a cloud level for placement and timing purposes. In case you didn't see in the animation section, I've decided that the puffs look the best when it puffs up each time a foot hits the ground, so just in case anybody needs it for placement, I'll be uploading each Kong. The puff sprites will all be the same, but the placing and timing will probably be different.

*Look back here* Depending on how much I get done and how fast, I'll probably edit this post and add the other animations.

Diddy:
run on clouds.zip
(148.3 KiB) Downloaded 1441 times
Attachments
run on clouds kiddy.zip
(150.7 KiB) Downloaded 1420 times
run on clouds donkey.zip
(166.08 KiB) Downloaded 1462 times
run on clouds dixie.zip
(151.79 KiB) Downloaded 1340 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » December 19th, 2012, 10:24 am

I figured I should upload the PSDs of the Bonus and Game Over images with all 4 Kongs if anybody wants them. They're all in one folder.

bonus images.zip
(875.73 KiB) Downloaded 1517 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 10th, 2013, 2:03 pm

I've completed HailFire peak! I have the icy side the first bit of the level, then a transition room from ice to fire, then the fire side. It is my hopes that somehow the Banjo-Tooie Hailfire Peak music can be used for this level :)

Here's the PSD
Attachments
hailfire peak.zip
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 1397 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 15th, 2013, 3:59 pm

I did a simple recolour of Kerozene to make him blue. I would like to have him in the backgrounds of the icy and fire sides (blue for the icy, red for the fire) to make the level more similar to hailfire peak.

I know that his open hands are cut off, and I tried to edit it (I may go back later and complete it), but I was thinking he could just raise and lower his fists to pound the ground and make ice and stalactites fall.

This is just a PSD of the recolourd sprite sheet of Kerozene. Here is a fake screenshot of how Chili Bill could be put in the fire side.

fire side with chili bill smaller.png
fire side with chili bill smaller.png (87.33 KiB) Viewed 101602 times

I'm going to have to work out what kind of background to use for the icy side to make him fit. The fire side fits pretty well, I think. For the falling stalactite, I just took a little piece of the DKC1 cave foreground and lightened it a bit.

chilly willy and chili bill simple recolour.zip
(543.75 KiB) Downloaded 1440 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 16th, 2013, 5:31 am

Right now, all I can think of to allow chilly Willy to be in the background of the icy side is to take the same thing on the lava side and turn the lava blue. Ideally, I would love to have a cave background with waterfalls and a river or pond where chilly Willy sits, but I don't know how I could accomplish this.

I was playing with it and blue lava does look way cool, but I think it's too much lava looking stuff. I'll post a fake screenshot later and you guys can let me know what you think.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby ChillManStudios » March 22nd, 2013, 4:00 am

What program do we need to see the sprite edits?
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » March 22nd, 2013, 4:45 am

Ah, you need Adobe Photoshop. Or if you're lucky there might be another program that has the ability to open them.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » June 6th, 2013, 3:52 pm

Sorry for taking so long to do things! I've made a vertical(ish) DKC1 factory level. I suggest using backgrounds of the DKC3 factory tiles (which I have tile so you can see what it would look like if you used it AND I have the single ones which I did do a colour change to make it look better with the DKC1 factory).

I'm not quite sure whether or not I'd like this to be tire factory terror or not... I did name it that, but I'm thinking I want tire factory terror to be in a DKC3 factory style level. That *may* be coming soon...

Here is the PSD
Attachments
tire factory terror w dk 1 factory slightly smaller.zip
(4.82 MiB) Downloaded 1260 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » June 8th, 2013, 3:38 am

Here is a link to the normal vertical wire sheet, and here is a link to the horizontal wire sheet.

I did not animate and make a full PSD of the sideways wire; I only made the sheet for it.

Here is the PSD of the vertical wire:
Attachments
sparking wire.zip
(18.16 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cyclone » June 15th, 2013, 9:08 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Sorry for taking so long to do things! I've made a vertical(ish) DKC1 factory level. I suggest using backgrounds of the DKC3 factory tiles (which I have tile so you can see what it would look like if you used it AND I have the single ones which I did do a colour change to make it look better with the DKC1 factory).

I'm not quite sure whether or not I'd like this to be tire factory terror or not... I did name it that, but I'm thinking I want tire factory terror to be in a DKC3 factory style level. That *may* be coming soon...

Here is the PSD

Where are all those tire images I sent you? DOn't see them in the level you posted. :huh:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » June 15th, 2013, 10:18 am

I'm going to make a DKC3 factory level as tire factory terror. I was thinking of doing this last one as that, but in my mind, the third game's factory levels seem more like what I see in my head. I'm going to have to work hard on that one. I don't use tilesets; I cut bits and pieces of existing levels and edit them together. That makes certain type levels difficult to make...

I'm also going to heavily edit some things special ;) I have an idea on how to make a DKC3 factory level with a specific entrance and exit, more like the original game's exits. I promise that will be cool!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » September 27th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Here is a sprite sheet of all the Kongs on the monkey bars, as well as the monkey bars themselves.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » September 29th, 2013, 1:11 am

It got downsized again... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » September 29th, 2013, 1:24 am

Have you tried clicking on the image, Simion? DeviantART reduces the image's size for display, but the actual image file ought to be full resolution.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » September 29th, 2013, 1:28 am

Yes, and it is actually downsized.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » September 29th, 2013, 2:55 am

So it is... how odd. :scratch:

Anyhow, the download link dA provides serves the original image.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » September 30th, 2013, 5:18 am

Because you can download the image, I'm not going to worry about the size, unless for some reason it still is resized when it's downloaded. As long as you can still download it, I'm not going to worry about it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » September 30th, 2013, 3:33 pm

I've double-checked — the download link is the correct size.

What I find really odd (and a touch ironic) is that due to the blurring, etc. that comes with (bicubic?) resampling, the "smaller" image is more than twice the file size of the larger, higher-quality original. :roll:

Get your algorithms sorted out, dA!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » October 21st, 2013, 3:51 am

Rather than re uploading an old sprite sheet I did for DK, I decided to just make a separate sprite sheet for his new horizontal rope animation.

Here it is for anybody that wants it. And just in case, as Simion and Qyz said, download it instead of saving the image because it may be resized.

*EDIT* I'm going to just fix a few things and re upload my sheet and animation!

Fixed!Here is the sprite sheet.

*EDIT SOME MORE*
Sprite sheet for DK idling on horizontal rope... Also, I've re uploaded the sprite sheet of the Kongs on the monkey bars with my updated idling frames for Dixie and DK.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » March 4th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Here are the sprite sheets of all of Dixie's redone crawling animation, as well as my newest version of Kiddy on two ropes.

Don't forget to download them if you want them. Just saving the image may resize it.

*I did edit this post. I didn't realize I had already linked to the monkey bars animations of all the Kongs. I did realize, though, that I never did a sprite sheet for Dixie's newest crawling animation. So I threw that together, uploaded it, and linked it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Previous

Return to DKC Level Builder