Stupid things you thought

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Stupid things you thought

Postby nickduffy27 » April 13th, 2010, 9:38 am

What were some stupid things that you first thought, in any of the games, and when you experimented you either lost a kong or died?

Donkey Kong Country
- In "Coral Capers" I thought Enguarde can kill anything. Until I lost him.
- In "Blackout Basement" I thought I knew where I was going. Until I died. Over 10 times.

Donkey Kong Country 2
- In "Barrel Bayou" I thought the swampy mud/water was something you can step on. (Like Super Castlevania IV).
- In "Bramble Blast" I thought those brambles were just decorations.
- In "King Zing Sting" I thought that hitting him in the face would be just fine. Lost several lives there.
- In "Castle Crush" I thought that Diddy could cartwheel his way to victory.

Donkey Kong Country 3
- In "Barrel Drop Bounce" the falling barrels you had to climb back and forth until you reach a barrel cannon, I seriously kept going and falling for 25 minutes.
Tourist

Re: Stupid things you thought

Postby BlueTronic » April 13th, 2010, 10:40 am

When I was 8 I thought Dumb Drum's name was "Boss Drum-Drum" and my cousin thought he was "Boss Dumb-Dumb"
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 17th, 2010, 7:33 am

For some reason, my parents always told me Winky was magical because he could kill anything. To this day I still call him "Winky the Magic Frog"... and I pronounced Enguarde's name as En-guard-AY, thinking I was all French and cool. :|

Spoiler!
And I STILL miss those old smileys, gah-dang! :x
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » April 17th, 2010, 9:45 am

Enguarde's comes from the phrase "en garde!", right? So, I'm assuming it's pronounced the same, i.e. it sounds like "on guard" (possibly with a typical french nasalised 'n' sound, as if it wasn't there, like aw...guard?" I am useless at 'phonetic spelling' in terms of French words.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby nickduffy27 » April 18th, 2010, 11:33 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:For some reason, my parents always told me Winky was magical because he could kill anything. To this day I still call him "Winky the Magic Frog"... and I pronounced Enguarde's name as En-guard-AY, thinking I was all French and cool. :|

Spoiler!
And I STILL miss those old smileys, gah-dang! :x

I thought that was the right way to say it lol oh well.
Tourist

Postby Scraps69 » April 21st, 2010, 6:18 pm

TheUltimateKoopa wrote:Enguarde's comes from the phrase "en garde!", right? So, I'm assuming it's pronounced the same, i.e. it sounds like "on guard" (possibly with a typical french nasalised 'n' sound, as if it wasn't there, like aw...guard?" I am useless at 'phonetic spelling' in terms of French words.

heh, funny that. I used to pronounce it as 'en-gwad'.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » April 24th, 2010, 7:52 am

Ha, funny. I always pronounced it as En-gward-ay, until I finally figure it out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » September 15th, 2010, 3:30 am

Stupid things...hmm..

Well, for the longest time, I actually forgot K. Rool's Keep was just one level (Castle Crush) and then more recently than I'd like, I found out I was mistaken.

:(
Treasure Hunter

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 26th, 2010, 2:10 pm

1. The first DK game I ever played was DK64. I was about six. So of course the first time I saw Wrinkly I thought she was a man. :(

2. I thought Enguarde's name was ahn-joo-rod.

3. I heard since I was about nine or ten that Cranky's actual name is Donkey Kong (Sr.) so when I read his Donkey Kong Universe wiki, the artwork Proof I'm A Moron (in the fanart forum) came to be.

4. I remember arguing with my brother that, because I'd listen to the DK Rap one too many times and I was about seven, Lanky's name was actually Crazy.

5. When I was little, I was afraid that orange monkeys in blue pants were going to come out and attack us.

6. About number seven, when you're going down a street that's in the MIDDLE OF THE WOODS at NIGHT and you're SIX and have been playing Donkey Kong 64 WAAAAAAAAAAY too much that's actually pretty reasonable.

7. This is actually what my mom thinks, but I'm still afraid. I'm not. I just didn't say anything about it until I was about fourteen.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Gaz » December 29th, 2011, 9:21 am

Kong-Fu wrote:When I was 8 I thought Dumb Drum's name was "Boss Drum-Drum" and my cousin thought he was "Boss Dumb-Dumb"

Dumb-Dumb LOLZ :lol:
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Gaz » December 29th, 2011, 9:22 am

Scraps69 wrote:
TheUltimateKoopa wrote:Enguarde's comes from the phrase "en garde!", right? So, I'm assuming it's pronounced the same, i.e. it sounds like "on guard" (possibly with a typical french nasalised 'n' sound, as if it wasn't there, like aw...guard?" I am useless at 'phonetic spelling' in terms of French words.

heh, funny that. I used to pronounce it as 'en-gwad'.

Gwad?
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Gaz » December 29th, 2011, 9:23 am

Chibisai Kong wrote:1. The first DK game I ever played was DK64. I was about six. So of course the first time I saw Wrinkly I thought she was a man. :(

2. I thought Enguarde's name was ahn-joo-rod.

3. I heard since I was about nine or ten that Cranky's actual name is Donkey Kong (Sr.) so when I read his Donkey Kong Universe wiki, the artwork Proof I'm A Moron (in the fanart forum) came to be.

4. I remember arguing with my brother that, because I'd listen to the DK Rap one too many times and I was about seven, Lanky's name was actually Crazy.

5. When I was little, I was afraid that orange monkeys in blue pants were going to come out and attack us.

6. About number seven, when you're going down a street that's in the MIDDLE OF THE WOODS at NIGHT and you're SIX and have been playing Donkey Kong 64 WAAAAAAAAAAY too much that's actually pretty reasonable.

7. This is actually what my mom thinks, but I'm still afraid. I'm not. I just didn't say anything about it until I was about fourteen.

Orange monkeys in blue pants (Lanky Kong) will attack. LOL. :lol:
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Phyreburnz » December 29th, 2011, 9:41 am

I though Enguarde was pronounced like "en-gad-u-ard."
I also thought "Oil Drum Alley" was ... I don't even know how I thought this, but ... I thought it was Oil Drumalley (like drum and alley were one word and pronounced like "druh-malley").
I think that I thought Dumb Drum was boss Dumb Dumb, too... I can't remember, though.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 4th, 2012, 2:47 am

I used to think that Castle Crush was Castle Crash when I was younger. I also thought Rattly was named Rattles.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » February 5th, 2012, 3:30 am

Okay, I don't honestly know where else to put this... it is silly and it is a thing I thought...

Does anybody else think that the one frame of DK's getting shot from a barrel frame looks like a chicken??? Yeah, it sounds really, really stupid... but take a look. I've rotated it. I see a resemblance; don't you? :lol:
dk looks like a chicken.png
dk looks like a chicken.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 42479 times

Remember: All I did was rotate the sprite.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Katastrophe Kong » February 14th, 2012, 3:12 pm

When I was REALLY little, I thought every DKC game was only the first world long. :oops:
I was a little surprised when I got to the 2nd world... and I though Kaptain K. Rool was just a Kannon with a wooden sword.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Soniccuz » April 7th, 2012, 10:41 am

To this day I wonder if Funky is related to Dixie somehow, simply because he was watching Kiddy prior to sacking Dixie with the task in DKC3.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Chibisai Kong » April 8th, 2012, 9:37 am

Just in case no one heard me, I THOUGHT WRINKLY WAS A *honk*ING MAN THE VERY FIRST TIME I SAW HER.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Markster » April 8th, 2012, 11:22 am

:lol:
----------
I thought Dixie was a guy when I first played DKC3.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Chibisai Kong » April 8th, 2012, 12:59 pm

:lol:

OMFG you're serious?! The only reason I knew she was a girl was because of fanfics!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Super Luigi! » April 8th, 2012, 1:11 pm

So the ponytail didn't tip any of you off? Or the fact she is Diddy's girlfriend?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Markster » April 8th, 2012, 2:53 pm

I was just 3 or 4, and at first, I did not even know that Diddy and Dixie where boyfriend and girlfriend, I found that out in 2009, when I got into DKC, hey, we all thought stupid things.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » April 9th, 2012, 1:49 am

Yep, anyways, Wrinkly is a really manly man...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Katastrophe Kong » July 31st, 2012, 6:49 pm

1. I used to think each of the games had only one world and one boss.

2. I used to think Kaptain K. Rool was just a Kannon with a wooden sword.

3. When I was younger I used to think Diddy and Dixie were siblings until I found a very "helpful" bit of fan art...

4. I used to think the picture of Kaptain K. Rool on the Krem koins in Donkey Kong Country 2 was K. Rool in a fireman's hat.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Ribbedebie » August 4th, 2012, 10:42 pm

I thought a lotta stupid things in the past... can't remember any of 'em though...

Oh! ... Like in DK64, I occasionally rented the game, so all Kongs were already unlocked. I went to beat King Kutout and I saw the ?'s on the switch barrel. I thought I could unlock Dixie and Kiddy like this, somehow. xD

I also thought Expresso was a lady ostrich, but that's never specified, right? And they did say Ellie was the first female animal buddy...

Also, my far-fetched headcanons can possibly also qualify as stupid things. Like how I think sometimes that Kalimba Tiki is the indirect reincarnation of General Klump. ...What! I said 'far-fetched'!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby EvangeliKong » December 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm

I thought Diddy Kong was Donkey Kong's brother.

DKC was one of my childhood's favourite games, but i never heard of sequels until they were re-released on GBA.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby The Banana Bird » December 5th, 2012, 9:52 am

I remember thinking that diddy was donkeys son and so was kiddy, don't get me wrong that could always be a possibility when you are 7, and I never knew kiddy had the name so I called him baby DK.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Return to General DKC Discussion