Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4!!! begin ;)

Postby Super Luigi! » June 12th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Sounds like a plan, leo_core! I guess we'll just have to wait and see then!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby leo_core » June 13th, 2012, 5:53 am

Hi guys!

I know that updates are scarce, it is because I'm making corrections and improving what is already done, there is nothing new to show yet in the engine.

I lost my notebook, the screen is defective and has condemned. This is where I worked 80% of the project, so now unfortunately will take longer to update the project because the time that I have on my pc to work on the project is very short. :(

I have also worked on the main map. I can say that every head of kong is a mountain area in the game (sub-map) and these are the first 4 areas of the game.

Not to be left without posting anything, I'll post the current map. Trees were added in DKC Island and the Kren wooden head in the Kren ship. (Sorry for my bad English, I use a translator. Feel free to correct my posts.)

Updated Main Map:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Ninni973 » June 13th, 2012, 6:13 am

It looks awesome! Also, I can't wait to see the Kloud archetype! It sounds awesome!
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby Tonberry2000 » June 13th, 2012, 7:57 am

That's a shame, but I'm glad to see it's still coming along!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Super Luigi! » June 13th, 2012, 2:06 pm

As am I. Your map screen is really coming along well, leo_core; nice job! One question, why do your computers always seem to have a problem? Does the notebook watch your progress and say, "Nope. You're not going to create this game that fast. I'm condemning myself."?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » June 14th, 2012, 2:56 am

I'm *impatiently* waiting for more updates! I promise I'll wait, but definitely not patiently! :lol:

I'm super excited to see all the new level designs!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » June 14th, 2012, 11:21 am

Thanks everyone for comments. Phyre, your custom animations are saving me a lot of work. Now not long to have that part of the project completed (is the hardest step for me). I'm working hard to make all these corrections.

Super Luigi! wrote:One question, why do your computers always seem to have a problem? Does the notebook watch your progress and say, "Nope. You're not going to create this game that fast. I'm condemning myself."?

ahahaha, It is very unlucky right? But it's true, I lost my notebook but I intend to buy another one next month, will not stop with this project for nothing! It's a shame, really have little time to work on the project using my PC.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Cosmicman » June 15th, 2012, 12:15 am

I was watching some old videos and I couldn't help but feel I should be able to land on top of this big tree that looks similar to the original DKC first stage tree, maybe some of the supporters here feel the same way I do? This tree was on the first teaming up stage video. Here is an image you posted of it.

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby leo_core » June 15th, 2012, 5:13 am

Cosmicman wrote:I was watching some old videos and I couldn't help but feel I should be able to land on top of this big tree that looks similar to the original DKC first stage tree, maybe some of the supporters here feel the same way I do? This tree was on the first teaming up stage video. Here is an image you posted of it.

Yes, you can walk the kongs the top of this tree.

The videos I post showing the customized stages, are only preliminary concepts. To complete the stage will be added more comprehensive details.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » June 15th, 2012, 6:04 am

Because this stage of the project is taking so long?
I'm posting this video to show what I'm doing. I want a system of switch kongs it perfect, the height of the original and not a whole buggy animation.

I want all the animations at this level that is the switch between Dixie and Kiddy. There are 12 possible combinations of switch, so it is taking so much work. Who works with MMF2 know the implications that are necessary for such a move.

Dixie to Kiddy switch fast preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn7ogmsFAGw
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super Luigi! » June 15th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Well, it was fast. The animation seems to be right, ecept for maybe the speed of the switch. Anyone else notice this?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Tonberry2000 » June 16th, 2012, 2:39 am

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. It could be said for almost all the animations. For instance, look at Kiddy's idle animation. It's also very fast.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » June 16th, 2012, 4:55 am

ahahaha, sorry! Wrong fps in this video. this problem is the fps of the captured video, the game is not so. I just made to show the switch kongs.

Edit
The truth is that this video was s***! lol

Well, I got a new method to improve the synchrony between partner kong and controlled, both for the movement of switch and for teaming up. It is the third time I change all that part of the engine, but I think this time is final because it is getting perfect synchrony.

If I had my notebook would have six hours a day to work exclusively on the project, you guys do not know the rage that gives me that ahaha (laughing to keep from crying!)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » June 18th, 2012, 11:58 am

New graphical archetype for custom stages

We partner with Joao Pedro (NecroToad) of Pixel Cows http://www.pixelcows.com.br
That will give some graphics and music to our project. This is a small preview showing what it will cooperate.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » June 18th, 2012, 12:03 pm

That looks AMAZING! I need to learn how to make backgrounds! There's so much stuff I need to make to get out of my head!

By the way, when will you show us another preview video?! I'm getting impatient, over here! :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » June 18th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:That looks AMAZING! I need to learn how to make backgrounds! There's so much stuff I need to make to get out of my head!

By the way, when will you show us another preview video?! I'm getting impatient, over here! :lol:

I was pleased with this partnership, we have great employees who really enrich our humble project.
Well, I was owed ​​a video to show how most walk progress with the switch system. Now I'm getting really pleased with the results although it is giving so much work in this project stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1_pZLZyhhI
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » June 19th, 2012, 8:23 am

For your new archetype, you might want to use a darker colour palette. The Kongs look a little too bright.

The swaps look pretty good so far! I'm so excited to see more videos from you! I'm just so thrilled with all the progress you've made and all the new music, archetypes, and everything else! It's coming along really, really well! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » June 19th, 2012, 8:29 am

I like your progress, leo_core. As for your new archetype, maybe you could use that either before or after a mine level? That's what I see when I look at it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby leo_core » June 20th, 2012, 7:33 am

Phyreburnz wrote:For your new archetype, you might want to use a darker colour palette. The Kongs look a little too bright.

It is only a small sample, it will still have adjustments.

Phyreburnz wrote:The swaps look pretty good so far! I'm so excited to see more videos from you! I'm just so thrilled with all the progress you've made and all the new music, archetypes, and everything else! It's coming along really, really well! :D

Thank you! Glad to see that you guys are enjoying it.

Super Luigi! wrote:I like your progress, leo_core. As for your new archetype, maybe you could use that either before or after a mine level? That's what I see when I look at it.

Thanks! It is not clear yet in what area of the game that this archetype is used, but I try to put it so that it is consistent and in harmony with the environment of the area. (Do you have to suffer to decipher what I write here, I need to learn English)

Well, here a variation of this new archetype:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » June 21st, 2012, 6:13 am

I like that variation, too! I like the night one better, though :)

Your English is fine! Don't worry, we can understand you! Are you just using an online translator? If so, it works very well. I don't have any trouble reading what you write.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » June 22nd, 2012, 1:29 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:I like that variation, too! I like the night one better, though :)

Your English is fine! Don't worry, we can understand you! Are you just using an online translator? If so, it works very well. I don't have any trouble reading what you write.

lol, is a relief to know! Yes, I use google translator. I can actually read and understand English well, but know very little writing. But it doesn't matter to anyone ahahaha, let's do business! :D

I spent two days without being able to use my PC to work on the project.

But today I made more progress and finally it only remains to finish the kiddy switch's with another kongs. The other kongs are with the system of switch (including animations) working 100% without any bug, perfect as I wanted.

Once I finish Kiddy, will show the preview of Kloud archetype.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby NecroToad » June 24th, 2012, 2:41 am

Phyreburnz wrote:For your new archetype, you might want to use a darker colour palette. The Kongs look a little too bright.

Thanks for the feedback Phyreburnz. My image is just a mockup, so I just put the original sprites on it to create a little of the "final" sensation. But I think the kongs look a little bright too, I didn't change the original colors because I don't know what palettes the game supports.

Thanks for all the feedbacks!
Tourist

Postby leo_core » June 26th, 2012, 1:34 pm

NecroToad wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Phyreburnz. My image is just a mockup, so I just put the original sprites on it to create a little of the "final" sensation. But I think the kongs look a little bright too, I didn't change the original colors because I don't know what palettes the game supports.

Thanks for all the feedbacks!

I love this guy!

Well, after two weeks working exclusively with the switch and teaming up systems, finally finished! Take this opportunity to show a small preview of Kloud archetype:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q99MaLMgeM0

IMPORTANT WARNING:
The immediate exchange of kongs and partners in the video are the debug engine, the game obviously will not. The kongs only come out from inside the barrels.

I need to rest a little editing of the game and thinking about the next step, to distract a little I start to create the 3D map of the first area of the game, I will try to create a waterfall among other things.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby sakuraxangel31 » June 26th, 2012, 3:53 pm

i have a question at the ending of the level will they like play their instruments like in DCK2 cuz that would be soo cool! x3
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » June 26th, 2012, 5:35 pm

That's really cool, leocore! Let me try something for you, though... I have an idea on how to edit some sprites to make Kiddy able to slap back and forward a little better.

By the way, the switch from Kiddy to Diddy, I like how Diddy stomps on his foot. I actually thought of doing that, but I didn't try, for some reason.

I noticed that in the team up sprites of Dixie on the bottom and either DK or Kiddy on top, you can't see Dixie's hand because the larger Kong's leg is in front. You should use the DK and Kiddy sprites you used for Diddy, the ones with part of the legs cut out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » June 26th, 2012, 7:38 pm

The clouds are off to a great start. That seems like a great stage type to use Hogwash, if you could get someone to make a SNES sheet of him.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » June 27th, 2012, 3:45 am

sakuraxangel31 wrote:i have a question at the ending of the level will they like play their instruments like in DCK2 cuz that would be soo cool! x3

Yes, that's exactly how we will exit the stage! Like DKC2.

Phyreburnz wrote:That's really cool, leocore! Let me try something for you, though... I have an idea on how to edit some sprites to make Kiddy able to slap back and forward a little better.

If you can make me thank you very much!

Phyreburnz wrote:By the way, the switch from Kiddy to Diddy, I like how Diddy stomps on his foot. I actually thought of doing that, but I didn't try, for some reason.

I noticed that in the team up sprites of Dixie on the bottom and either DK or Kiddy on top, you can't see Dixie's hand because the larger Kong's leg is in front. You should use the DK and Kiddy sprites you used for Diddy, the ones with part of the legs cut out.

Also I make adjustments to the sprites of teaming up, it is not yet fully finalized.

Tonberry2000 wrote:The clouds are off to a great start. That seems like a great stage type to use Hogwash, if you could get someone to make a SNES sheet of him.

Thanks Ton :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super Luigi! » June 28th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Yes, I like the Kloud levels too, although it took me a while to realize what you were standing on. Maybe you could make the cloud platforms more noticeable, or at least cut back on the foreground clouds? They seem a bit distracting. But other than that, your game looks spectacular!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby leo_core » June 29th, 2012, 4:06 am

Super Luigi! wrote:Yes, I like the Kloud levels too, although it took me a while to realize what you were standing on. Maybe you could make the cloud platforms more noticeable, or at least cut back on the foreground clouds? They seem a bit distracting. But other than that, your game looks spectacular!

Thanks! I will highlight more the graph where the kongs walk and increase the effect of parallax (this will increase the guidance where floor).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » June 29th, 2012, 4:35 am

Where did you find those tilesets, anyway? Did you use the DKL ones and resize and recolour them? They look just like the ones from Donkey Kong Land and they look just like they should be in a DKC game.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » June 29th, 2012, 5:14 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Where did you find those tilesets, anyway? Did you use the DKL ones and resize and recolour them? They look just like the ones from Donkey Kong Land and they look just like they should be in a DKC game.

Yes, these clouds are the Donkey Kong Land - Sky High Caper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al4gtzlqMeM

Edited by Aryel Filipe and me (I applied some filters and created the background and foreground).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » June 29th, 2012, 5:48 am

I'd love it if you could tell me how you made them look like SNES graphics, that is, if you have the time, of course! Do you know of any tutorials or anything like that? If you can help me out, you can either message me or post them on the forum here.

I would love to see you guys able to recreate the DKL Big Ape City (I'd love to do it, but I'm not sure how). Your one video had an archetype that looked similar, but it didn't look exactly like it.

*EDIT* I guess the city you guys made was more like this.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » June 29th, 2012, 5:51 am

I'd like to think I could do a pretty decent job at an SNES Big City archetype, if I had the time to put forth to making a tileset...

...but as we all know, I have DELTA to tussle with. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tonberry2000 » June 29th, 2012, 11:19 am

I'd love to see if anyone has the ability to make enemy useable models based on the DKL enemies.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » June 30th, 2012, 7:44 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I'd love it if you could tell me how you made them look like SNES graphics, that is, if you have the time, of course! Do you know of any tutorials or anything like that? If you can help me out, you can either message me or post them on the forum here.

It is pure editing with Photoshop, coloring and applying filters. I can give a new "dress" to any graphic using Photoshop.
Not sure how this will teach you, but you can work your way through using the color selection tools, apply filters to go experimenting and observing the results. I know what I said was not enlightening, but basically this is how I work.

I suggest you watch that has tutorials on youtube. It is not unwillingness on my part, but not sure how I could explain what I do.
I have every disposition to assist you in anything throughout his collaboration with our project.

Phyreburnz wrote:I would love to see you guys able to recreate the DKL Big Ape City (I'd love to do it, but I'm not sure how). Your one video had an archetype that looked similar, but it didn't look exactly like it.

*EDIT* I guess the city you guys made was more like this.

I have a proposal, you would be able to rip these stage's maps from DKC Land?
If you are capable of it, I edit the graphics to use in our project and send you the PSD files. So you can see how I did the editing.

Tonberry2000 wrote:I'd love to see if anyone has the ability to make enemy useable models based on the DKL enemies.

I liked the idea Ton, but where can I find sprites? I am able to improve the sprites, as well as I do with the stage's maps.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby VideoViking » June 30th, 2012, 11:35 am

From what I recall, Cosmicman was doing some animations for Mr. X and another character. I don't know if he's going to make any enemies from Donkey Kong Land.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby leo_core » June 30th, 2012, 4:57 pm

VideoViking wrote:From what I recall, Cosmicman was doing some animations for Mr. X and another character. I don't know if he's going to make any enemies from Donkey Kong Land.

That would be great!

As I said I've been creating (or trying to) the map of the area's first game, which will be the DK head in the Overworld Map.
Here is already running inside the engine. Krens icons are not yet finalized, but it's just to show where are the stage's of this area and the location of the boss area:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-fMny7ddOA

Along with the video I'm posting a frame with a resolution better than the video:
Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Cosmicman » July 1st, 2012, 1:50 am

VideoViking wrote:From what I recall, Cosmicman was doing some animations for Mr. X and another character. I don't know if he's going to make any enemies from Donkey Kong Land.

Funny how I was working on one DKL character. You can see it at my 3d thread, its not done yet though.

Leo amazing work on that map, I can feel the overall theme of that map is sunny and happy, are you going to include any dark moody maps similar to DKC2?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby leo_core » July 1st, 2012, 4:27 am

Cosmicman wrote:
Funny how I was working on one DKL character. You can see it at my 3d thread, its not done yet though.

A great job! You can post the model and allow me to use in my project? This will be very interesting :)

Cosmicman wrote:Leo amazing work on that map, I can feel the overall theme of that map is sunny and happy, are you going to include any dark moody maps similar to DKC2?

This is the first area of the Kong's Island, so the overall theme of that map is sunny and happy. On the island of Krem's atmosphere is more "sinister" and dark...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby The Banana Bird » July 2nd, 2012, 10:23 am

Just a question Leo, are there any new enemies added to the game?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Tonberry2000 » July 2nd, 2012, 12:11 pm

I think if we got the people who can 3D model and the people who can pose them and convert them to 2D images to work together it could be done.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » July 3rd, 2012, 5:12 am

The Banana Bird wrote:Just a question Leo, are there any new enemies added to the game?

Maybe, but the "little pig" from DKC Land (model by Cosmicman) is almost confirmed. Just missing it send me the model so that I can work on it.

Tonberry2000 wrote:I think if we got the people who can 3D model and the people who can pose them and convert them to 2D images to work together it could be done.

That would be great!

Each map will have a small intro showing the main areas on the map:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWAJxfCAWvY

Well, for the next update will show some enemies that are being added to the engine.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » July 3rd, 2012, 7:28 am

I really loved the new map video.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » July 3rd, 2012, 8:17 am

Wow! That's amazing!

I have a suggestion that's inspired by that video! Maybe, have the intro like you have it, and instead of zooming out to see all the levels, have the camera pointed at the first level. When you move from level to level, you could have the camera move to the next level on the path, rather than just have the Kong move on the map. I think that would work wonderfully since you have everything set up so beautifully!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » July 4th, 2012, 8:14 am

Tonberry2000 wrote:I really loved the new map video.

Thanks Ton =)

Phyreburnz wrote:Wow! That's amazing!

I have a suggestion that's inspired by that video! Maybe, have the intro like you have it, and instead of zooming out to see all the levels, have the camera pointed at the first level. When you move from level to level, you could have the camera move to the next level on the path, rather than just have the Kong move on the map. I think that would work wonderfully since you have everything set up so beautifully!

Thanks Phyre :)
The idea is interesting, but there are two problems:

First to do this would consume an absurd amount of memory, since the 3D map is NOT generated in real time, is actually a loop sequence of pre-rendered sprites.

Second (and most important) is that I believe it is better to have a complete view of the area than just parts of it, unless it is possible to zoom out (get it with this engine would be a miracle lol).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Simion32 » July 4th, 2012, 8:45 am

So you're telling me that somehow all that crazy 3D animation and camera scrolling/panning wasn't done with 3D hardware? What? :|

How does that even make any sense as a rendering option?

That's even more complex than 2.5D with GPU accelerated rendering - it should already take several hundred MBs of RAM! :roll:

EDIT:

A single second of 256-color 60FPS video at 512x448 takes 13,762,560 bytes - 13MB!!! :?

Going any father with this method means your project would be so incredibly huge to download that only us with DSL/Cable will be able to get it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » July 4th, 2012, 9:25 am

Simion32 wrote:So you're telling me that somehow all that crazy 3D animation and camera scrolling/panning wasn't done with 3D hardware? What? :| How does that even make any sense as a rendering option? That's even more complex than 2.5D with GPU accelerated rendering - it should already take several hundred MBs of RAM! :roll: A single second of 256-color 60FPS video at 512x448 takes 13,762,560 bytes - 13MB!!! :?

The MMF2 have scarce resources for native 3D rendering in real time, there are external plug-ins (OpenGL object) but still I could not get the level of realism that I intend for the maps.

So I chose to create 3D maps in external programs (3D Max for models and Quest 3D engine to render) and import as frames of animation to game project.

This consumes a large amount of memory, but nothing that median computers not running the game without problems. A computer with 512 MB RAM ​​of memory is more than enough.

Simion32 wrote:
Going any father with this method means your project would be so incredibly huge to download that only us with DSL/Cable will be able to get it.

I think the full game will exceed 100mb.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Simion32 » July 4th, 2012, 9:34 am

I'm hopeful that the bulk of the 100MB is because of this world animation, and not the other parts of the project.

I'll bet your development folder(s) have gone well beyond 100MB already. How much is the exe size so far?

Spoiler!
Your 3D rendering plight (or equivalent) will be considered an issue during DELTA's R&D process. That is all. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » July 4th, 2012, 11:42 am

Simion32 wrote:I'm hopeful that the bulk of the 100MB is because of this world animation, and not the other parts of the project.

I'll bet your development folder(s) have gone well beyond 100MB already. How much is the exe size so far?

Spoiler!
Your 3D rendering plight (or equivalent) will be considered an issue during DELTA's R&D process. That is all. ;)

Forget what I said about the more than 100 mb (I was considering the MFA project file lol). Your question was great, now the project is divided into two parts: the partners engine and the buddies engine (I'm merging the two in one single engine).

Well, I have compiled both projects. Look at the size of the executable:
(These compilations are still without the sequences of pre-rendered images of the maps.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Simion32 » July 4th, 2012, 11:45 am

Now that's more like it!

EDIT: Sorry to re-ask, seen the text below that image. Sorry, I missed that!

EDIT 2:
On another note I fully expect the MFA file to be extremely huge. MMF2's worse than Game Maker at project file size... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks