Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4!!! begin ;)

Postby leo_core » May 11th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:Well, that's good to hear, leo_core. DKC4 seems to be going along just fine, so I can't think of any criticism that hasn't already been mentioned.

Tonberry2000 wrote:Wow! This is looking INCREDIBLY smooth! I love it! Even the Kong switching is better in this version! Great work!

Thanks guys :)
Working here, updates in comming.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Markster » May 12th, 2012, 9:47 am

I got an idea to make this game feel like a SNES DKC game, I will plug in my HDMI cord from my PC to my TV and grab a controller, and play.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby slym » May 12th, 2012, 9:54 am

lol you got the same idea as me i bought a USB snes controler just for play at this game haha :lol:
Tourist

Postby slym » May 21st, 2012, 6:31 am

9 days without news =(
Tourist

Postby leo_core » May 21st, 2012, 7:42 am

Guys!
Despite being a few days without posting anything, I'm working on and preparing the necessary corrections to the engine system of colliding with enemies.

Unfortunately my laptop has problem with the monitor and is down for maintenance, it is that I work in the game. But still I have worked in the engine on my PC, whenever I have free time.

Keep watching, when I finish these adjustments there will be many news!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby hiperkalango » May 22nd, 2012, 9:56 am

Hi Guys
I apologize for the lack of updates.
I'm working to pay my bills folded backward
And to make matters worse, I knocked and broke my car. : (
Anyway ... I will do everything possible to advance some things Okay
See ya
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Tonberry2000 » May 23rd, 2012, 5:26 pm

Take care of the real life stuff first! Can't wait to see more!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » May 24th, 2012, 5:48 am

Guys
I'm making important corrections to the teaming up and switch partner system's (was very buggy).
The biggest problem is that I have no money to pay for the repair of my laptop and I worked on the engine using it... and unfortunately the time I can use my pc is too short =(

As soon as I finish this stage of corrections, I'll post a new video showing the patches applied and a whole new stage (to compensate for the delay with updates) have a little more patience. :roll:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super Luigi! » May 24th, 2012, 11:36 am

Don't worry leo_core, I can wait all year for you to update if I have to!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby leo_core » May 25th, 2012, 7:39 am

Thank's all for understanding.
The question here is, what is preferable? The game is done quickly and with all the animations out of sync or a game with perfectly animations synchronized?

Guys, Donkey Kong Country deserves a remake that is according to his greatness in every detail possible! That's what we want to do to hardcore fans!

What I can say is I'm getting doing strides with the partner system, will be worth the wait, really.
It is a pity that my notebook is in trouble, if not for that I would do the job faster =/
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Simion32 » May 25th, 2012, 8:02 am

I wouldn't worry about it. It's going to take me practically forever to get DELTA fully, correctly playing DKC (keep in mind that unlike your project I have to do much more coding work, and I'm attempting to get it correct down to the absolute sub-pixel).

These kind of things definitely take a ton of effort, I personally wouldn't try to rush it too much. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » May 25th, 2012, 11:30 am

Simion32 wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. It's going to take me practically forever to get DELTA fully, correctly playing DKC (keep in mind that unlike your project I have to do much more coding work, and I'm attempting to get it correct down to the absolute sub-pixel).

These kind of things definitely take a ton of effort, I personally wouldn't try to rush it too much. ;)

I have great admiration for his work, Simion. I think you can operate miracles with SNES rom's.

View his work and the work of Phyreburnz (he as true master in customizing sprites) and the great contribution of T2K sprites ripping (between the work of other admirable people) is that inspire me to give my best, could not be different. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » May 26th, 2012, 6:37 am

leo_core wrote:and the work of Phyreburnz (he as true master in customizing sprites)

*she* ;) And you're welcome :) I'm glad I could help.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » May 27th, 2012, 11:51 am

Thanks Ton!
Phyreburnz, I was thinking that you was a man! ahahaha, sorry lady! A girl of 20 years working on sprites for a game that was released when you were born is unique!

I consider you, the Ton and Simion as co-authors of our project because of the contribution of sprites. The DKCRE of Simion I will save me a lot of work with the sprites of the enemies of DKC1. And I have many ideas with your custom sprites, Phyreburnz (I have followed his work). Wait and see.

Cosmicman also very significantly contributed with the 3D model of Kiddy Head. Among other people who do not remember now, but will all be duly mentioned in the game. I do not know what I'd do without you guys (and lady)!

I'm almost finished with the adjustments of partner system, news will come soon!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super Luigi! » May 27th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Can I be considered a critic, or at least a big fan of your project? I ask, because I try to give you critque on your project.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby slym » May 28th, 2012, 9:04 am

hi,
i was checking some of your video about DCK4 and i tought something.I don't know if it is a good idea, you guys could add a map editor in the game it could be fun and it will increase the playing time of your game. Maybe not work on its right now for the beta but maybe later at the end of the project

what do you think?
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » May 28th, 2012, 9:22 am

I'm not the one working on this project but I can tell you it would take a ton of effort, they are using MMF2 which has most of the level data embedded into the MMF2 game file, if I remember correctly (maybe even all of it). Programming a full-on world editor would be very difficult in their particular setup.

We shall see, I suppose...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby slym » May 29th, 2012, 3:31 am

ok ok i see thank you
Tourist

Postby leo_core » May 29th, 2012, 6:30 am

Super Luigi! wrote:Can I be considered a critic, or at least a big fan of your project? I ask, because I try to give you critque on your project.

I think we will have a special section in the credits to mention the fans that come with most assiduous and opine during the project development. In this case, you and a few more people will be cited. ;)

slym wrote:hi,
i was checking some of your video about DCK4 and i tought something.I don't know if it is a good idea, you guys could add a map editor in the game it could be fun and it will increase the playing time of your game. Maybe not work on its right now for the beta but maybe later at the end of the project

what do you think?

Simion32 wrote:I'm not the one working on this project but I can tell you it would take a ton of effort, they are using MMF2 which has most of the level data embedded into the MMF2 game file, if I remember correctly (maybe even all of it). Programming a full-on world editor would be very difficult in their particular setup.

We shall see, I suppose...

It is not impossible to accomplish this, but as stated Simion (well explained) would give a lot of work to be done. But maybe we do... is too early to say, I can not guarantee.

I'm getting an almost perfect sync with the system of teaming up, news soon.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » May 30th, 2012, 2:27 am

After so many days without posting anything, I will now show the system of teaming up almost complete, lacking saw very few adjustments and a preview of "Konkreto" stage (this stage will still have issue, add still missing BG blur effect, foreground's, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8f3wNtDUeQ

The partner system "following" is not fully completed (strings and mobile platforms still require adjustments).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » May 30th, 2012, 3:40 am

If you want them, I did edit some sprites (just some erasing) to make teaming up fit better. I erased Dixie and Diddy's feet for teaming up with DK and other stuff. Here are the links to the sprite sheets.

Here is Dixie on DK

Here is Diddy on DK and Kiddy.

Here is DK on Dixie, Diddy, and Kiddy.

I must have forgotten to upload the ones of Kiddy on DK, but all I did for that was erase his feet. I can upload that too, if you'd like.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby slym » May 30th, 2012, 3:47 am

first react about this new video =D first the comment i will say is just a good critic for helping you guys making a perfect game :P. so, first look all seems awesome new stage, new original song who stay in DKC theme. the teaming system is perfect but one thing could be questionable, when dixie has a heavy kong on her she walk slowly and we can see she has difficulty to carry them, should diddy has to react like dixie when he carry heavy kong personally i think so but you do how you want guys but just think about that. secondo, when diddy in on the rope all is good dixie follow and she swing too but when diddy leave we can see, i don't know if it is a bug or something else, but dixie don't follow as well.

and finally at all i just can't wait for a beta this game will be amazing continue like that guys
Tourist

Postby leo_core » May 30th, 2012, 3:56 am

This detail of the feet of kongs when in teaming up is the only thing missing to make it perfect. I'll give a look at these new sprites and see if I can "fit them" here. If you can upload Kiddy on DK also, I'm thankful lady! :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » May 30th, 2012, 4:00 am

slym wrote:first react about this new video =D first the comment i will say is just a good critic for helping you guys making a perfect game :P. so, first look all seems awesome new stage, new original song who stay in DKC theme. the teaming system is perfect but one thing could be questionable, when dixie has a heavy kong on her she walk slowly and we can see she has difficulty to carry them, should diddy has to react like dixie when he carry heavy kong personally i think so but you do how you want guys but just think about that. secondo, when diddy in on the rope all is good dixie follow and she swing too but when diddy leave we can see, i don't know if it is a bug or something else, but dixie don't follow as well.

and finally at all i just can't wait for a beta this game will be amazing continue like that guys

Thank you! These details that you mentioned are still being adjusted. The physics for those who are taking back the other kong also needs adjustments.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » May 30th, 2012, 4:28 am

I'll let you know as soon as I have Kiddy on DK up. Also, I did a version of Diddy carrying a heavy Kong, which is also on the Diddy sheet link in my last post.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » May 30th, 2012, 4:36 am

Almost everything I was going to say has been addressed. Can't wait to see Diddy's heavy animation in use. :)
Oh, are you using the correct partner palette? They seem incredibly dark, as if you're using a cave palette or something.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » May 30th, 2012, 5:36 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I'll let you know as soon as I have Kiddy on DK up. Also, I did a version of Diddy carrying a heavy Kong, which is also on the Diddy sheet link in my last post.

I will change the Diddy sprites carrying heavy kongs (DK and Kiddy) for your Diddy sprites, thank you!

Tonberry2000 wrote:Almost everything I was going to say has been addressed. Can't wait to see Diddy's heavy animation in use. :)
Oh, are you using the correct partner palette? They seem incredibly dark, as if you're using a cave palette or something.

The sprites of the partners kongs are in 50% browning. Thus it is acceptable? Will give a lot of work if I have to change this...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Simion32 » May 30th, 2012, 5:57 am

He's right. The MMF2 image editor is a horrible mess... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Ninni973 » May 30th, 2012, 7:53 am

I love the Konkreto stage! It looks awesome! If you listen closely to the music, you'll hear a little bit of Donkey Kong Land's city theme. Konkreto and Big Ape City look alike too. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby Super Luigi! » May 30th, 2012, 1:35 pm

I like the stage as well. leo_core, your team-up animations look solid to me, although I have one suggestion. Kiddy should roll a bit when he is thrown instead of just stopping on the ground. You might be working on this as I type, but I don't know.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » May 31st, 2012, 2:09 am

Here are all the albums of my edited sprites. Kiddy Kong 4 is the album with Kiddy's being carried by DK sprites. Here are my sprites

Also, the animations I've done are on this page. Those show all of my custom sprites of DK carrying everyone and DK being carried by everyone.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby slym » May 31st, 2012, 4:06 am

wow nice work phyreburnz these sprite are just perfect :P
Tourist

Postby leo_core » May 31st, 2012, 10:22 am

Super Luigi! wrote:I like the stage as well. leo_core, your team-up animations look solid to me, although I have one suggestion. Kiddy should roll a bit when he is thrown instead of just stopping on the ground. You might be working on this as I type, but I don't know.

Thank you!
In the video may not be clear, but the Kiddy rolls before stopping on the ground when thrown.

Phyreburnz, eat now working on replacing the sprites, thanks again for your cooperation!

Now the mountain on the island of kongs is complete with the heads of the four kongs! (Kiddy head by Cosmicman). I also added the Kren ship, remains to add the banana trees and other objects (and create the island of Krens). This is a little preview:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Gaz » May 31st, 2012, 10:28 am

EPIC! I cannot wait for the game to be complete.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Cosmicman » May 31st, 2012, 12:17 pm

Wow! Awesome stuff, I'm really glad I could help with something so amazing.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Super Luigi! » May 31st, 2012, 3:10 pm

That map screen is so great, it's scary. Literally. I'm shivering just looking at it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby AryelShark » June 2nd, 2012, 12:20 pm

leo_core wrote:After so many days without posting anything, I will now show the system of teaming up almost complete, lacking saw very few adjustments and a preview of "Konkreto" stage (this stage will still have issue, add still missing BG blur effect, foreground's, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8f3wNtDUeQ

The partner system "following" is not fully completed (strings and mobile platforms still require adjustments).

I'm happy that many people liked my level for this project ;)
I'm working on some things for the project, like more new level-styles :D
Newcomer

Postby slym » June 2nd, 2012, 2:21 pm

hi aryelshark,

yes we all like your level and I'm happy to learn you will make more of them but just one thing i hope you will stay as possible, in DKC theme like your last level we saw on youtube if you continue this way all gonna be awesome :P

seriously great job
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » June 2nd, 2012, 3:24 pm

I must say, this project has done nothing but impress me so far. Keep up the good work everyone! :geek:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » June 8th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments and compliments.
Well, as the updates are more time consuming in this project stage (and also because I am without my notebook :( ), here's a preview of what will be the movement of camera on the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFPfSpDPgM
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » June 8th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Does the Kiddy head on the map have the rock surface colouring it? It looks somewhat see-though and mostly tan. I don't know if I'm just looking at it wrong, though.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » June 9th, 2012, 4:15 am

I was thinking he looked very light compared to the others as well. I don't know enough about 3D modeling to suggest a fix. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » June 9th, 2012, 5:40 am

This impression is because the shadow is not focusing on the head of the Kiddy (due to its shape).
However, the texture applied to the head Kiddy is the same texture to the other heads.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super Luigi! » June 9th, 2012, 11:18 am

The camera movement looks alright, but you might want to rename your video. Right now, it says "Worlp Map" instead of World Map.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cosmicman » June 9th, 2012, 11:58 am

World map track is perfect.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby leo_core » June 10th, 2012, 5:13 am

Super Luigi! wrote:The camera movement looks alright, but you might want to rename your video. Right now, it says "Worlp Map" instead of World Map.

Thanks, fixed the video name.

Cosmicman wrote:World map track is perfect.

Thank you!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » June 10th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Today I made significant progress fixing all bugs in switch kongs system. It only remains to finish editing the animations (Phyreburnz very contributed with custom animations). :)

The teaming up is finally completed for all kongs. Only a few more days and I can show all progress and a preview of a new archetype stage (which will be called "Kloud", concept by Aryel Filipe).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » June 11th, 2012, 2:26 am

Woo! Cant wait to see the next demo video!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks