DKC-Related Custom Animations

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC-related animations

Postby VideoViking » March 10th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Much better, Phyre.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Super Luigi! » March 10th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Kiddy sure is really in the swing of things! Great job Phyreburnz!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby VideoViking » March 13th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Phyre, do you plan on doing an update/revision for the DK honeycomb frames?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 14th, 2012, 3:01 am

Simate, did you look at how the other characters hang on the hook? Those sprites don't match up at all.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 14th, 2012, 10:42 pm

VideoViking wrote:Phyre, do you plan on doing an update/revision for the DK honeycomb frames?

Yeah. I had look at the sprite sheet again to see if I could find other head sprites. I found some that work a little better. I might add some more stuff, other than his head turning.

*EDIT* Never mind, I can't think of anything else that could move for his honey animation. Here is the improved version. If you can think of anything else to add, let me know... because I can't think of anything that will work!
dk-on-honey2.gif
dk-on-honey2.gif (22.44 KiB) Viewed 218151 times

I forgot to add this, too. Here is the full animation of Klink in a toboggan. If anybody so desired, he could probably also fit in a mine cart.
klink-in-toboggan.gif
klink-in-toboggan.gif (28.79 KiB) Viewed 218151 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » March 15th, 2012, 12:17 am

Looks pretty good, if I ever make that DKC3 + fan game with DELTA, I will put those enemies in there.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » March 15th, 2012, 12:45 am

I've done another version of Kiddy going from one rope to two. I still hate it, but he's so hard to animate. He has so few animations, and that makes it super difficult. I really think this is the best I can do for now.
kiddy-to-two-ropes-2.gif
kiddy-to-two-ropes-2.gif (25.11 KiB) Viewed 218148 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 15th, 2012, 2:37 am

You could make him let go of the rope as he turns instead of letting go, then turning. That might help.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 15th, 2012, 3:23 am

I'll have to mess around with it more... I really think that's the best I can do, though. Editing Kiddy frustrates me beyond belief. >.<
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » March 15th, 2012, 3:38 am

I reviewed Diddy and Dixie's honeycomb frames again to see what they had.

Diddy has a few breathing frames, then he checks his left.
Dixie's eyes blinks for a few seconds, then she samples the honey sap.

I knew DK was missing something else to go with this, but I couldn't figure it out until a demo was available. I originally envisioned him sticking to the sap with the use of his cave crawling frames.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 15th, 2012, 4:27 am

Also, Phyre, Kiddy's hand that doesn't come off of the rope slides up and down a bit as he lets go. It should probably stay in place. ;)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 15th, 2012, 4:32 am

I know that his hand slides. If it doesn't slide, he'll end up way higher when be goes to the double rope. I don't know, I'll have to look at everything. He just holds the rope awkwardly.

*EDIT* I've kept his left hand in the same place. I really think this is the best I can do.

I'm done effing with Kiddy's rope animations for now. I'll probably come back to it later. I'm working on making Kiddy and Dixie compatible with the mine carts.
kiddy-to-two-ropes-3.gif
kiddy-to-two-ropes-3.gif (23.24 KiB) Viewed 218126 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 15th, 2012, 6:10 am

Definitely a step in the right direction. Less to fix later. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby DKCplayer » March 15th, 2012, 5:36 pm

I've been keeping my eye on this thread for quite a while. Phyreburnz, your custom sprites/animations are amazing! Keep up the good work! :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Phyreburnz » March 17th, 2012, 2:49 am

Thanks DKCplayer!

So, I'm putting Winky swimming off for a little bit, not too long, though. I'm working on putting DK in the toboggan. Diddy's skull cart sprites work for it, so I don't have to edit his. DK's mine cart ones won't fit as I thought they would. They're too low. I think most of the "editing" will be rotating sprites. His animal buddy sprites should work well.

After that, I'm going to try to make Winky swim. I really think that it would be cool for him to swim in water that kills Kongs (swamp water). I still also really like the super horizontal jump idea that Tonberry had.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 17th, 2012, 3:04 am

Thanks. :)
Can't wait for the new stuff. :D
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Super Luigi! » March 17th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Phyreburnz, I can see some interesting level ideas with your idea on Winking swimming in the swamp. But, I don't think we can post any ideas about something if the feature isn't actually in the game. Oh, and hello DKCPlayer!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » March 17th, 2012, 1:40 pm

I'm not sure, Super Luigi. I'm going to animate it anyway, just because, I guess.

I think I want to try something else for DK's idle in the toboggan animation, but I'm satisfied with going up and down. Most of it was just rotating sprites, so it was super easy.
dk-in-toboggan.gif
dk-in-toboggan.gif (34.22 KiB) Viewed 218063 times

Oh, I eventually came up with a name for my DKC version of Klobber and Knocka. I decided to name him Knok-out (it was between that and Kay-oh!...you know... like k.o. ... I know... that's why I decided against it... I also came up with a name for my Kritter in a barrel. I named him Kandid Kritter.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » March 17th, 2012, 3:00 pm

A better name style for Kay-oh would have been Kayo.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » March 18th, 2012, 2:40 am

I think I was getting tunnel vision from looking at it so closely. It looks fine to me, now.

I can't post it right now (I will when I get home), but I am kinda working on Kiddy on two ropes. I really don't think I can make it look legitimate... I've fixed up my previous one a wee bit, so it looks a little better.

*EDIT* I've just completed Winky swimming... I think. I'll need some input when I post it up later today, so check back every once in a while, because I'll probably put it on this post, rather than double posting.

*EDIT SOME MORE*
Here is Kiddy's rope animation revised:
kiddy-up-two-ropes-revised.gif
kiddy-up-two-ropes-revised.gif (29.89 KiB) Viewed 218036 times

Here is Winky swimming:
winky-swimming-test-2.gif
winky-swimming-test-2.gif (12.83 KiB) Viewed 218034 times

Let me know what you think!

Oh! By the way, in case you didn't see the suggestion thread, I want to make a super-move for Expresso, like Rambi's horn attack or Rattly's super jump. I'm not sure what to do, though. So put your suggestions in the suggestion thread, and I'll make the one I like the best! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 18th, 2012, 7:22 am

My only critique on Winky would be to let his arms do the full circular motion instead of getting to a point and reversing.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 18th, 2012, 7:34 am

I see what you mean. The animations, for some reason, don't save the timing I have... and I'm not sure why. The way I have the animation on Photoshop, the animation for him kicking back is very fast, and it's slower when he pulls his arms and legs in. But with the speed it's supposed to be, the arms look fine.

I really need to figure out how to fix this... It will not save the speed of the animations, for some weird reason. I though, maybe it just uses the speed of the first frame to dictate how quickly everything else moves. I was wrong. I took the slower frames, duplicated them, and had everything set at "no delay," but it doesn't work.
winky-swimming-test-3.gif
winky-swimming-test-3.gif (13.03 KiB) Viewed 218031 times

See how funky it is? Yeah, every frame in that is set at "no delay," but it is soooooooo slow.

*EDIT* I'm going to try something else. I think I need Adobe Fireworks to make the animation correct. I don't have that, BUT I have ImageReady on my '98. I'll try to animate it on that and then try to save it and see if frames are lost.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 18th, 2012, 7:52 am

Died you change the frames or just the delay? The thing to keep in mind is that he's literally pushing the water behind him to propel himself. They should come up to his face (like they do) and then continue their circular motion smoothly to get the push in there. I'd illustrate what I mean, but im at work on my phone. ;)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 18th, 2012, 7:59 am

I know what you mean. I originally didn't want his front arms to move. I was looking up videos of frogs swimming, and the one I saw was one on top of the water. His arms were at his sides the whole time.

What I did was change it to "no delay" and I doubled the frames where I wanted him to move slower... obviously, it did not work. I really don't know what to do about it, because my ImageReady is being stupid, too. O.o I really wish you could see it how I have it actually set on my Photoshop, because it totally looks fine there.

I just tried to make every frame "no delay" without doubling any, and it looks exactly the same as the first. I really don't know why it's not saving what I have... It's been doing that for a while. When I animated Diddy's heavy Kong team-up and DK's team-up, I had the same problem. I set them throwing to "no delay," but it was super slow.

*EDIT* I lied, I guess the frog's front arms did move, but for the most part, he kept them by his side. Here's the video I was watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGuonxvHrro
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » March 19th, 2012, 4:14 am

Okay, that was too easy. I did Expresso burying her head. It was really easy, because during the idle stance, she pecks the ground. From that, it was really easy to make her bury her head.
expresso-bury-head.gif
expresso-bury-head.gif (7.86 KiB) Viewed 218003 times

*EDIT* This is maybe what it could look like if she pulls out a banana:
expresso-grabbing-banana.gif
expresso-grabbing-banana.gif (9.64 KiB) Viewed 218001 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » March 19th, 2012, 5:13 am

You know, if you were to add the pecking frames, then pull out the item as you described, it would make Expresso's "dig" feature more believable. And I could consider using it for my game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » March 19th, 2012, 5:16 am

Ah ha! I didn't think of that! I could easily add that to the animation. I only actually edited two frames. All the rest are just straight out of the game. I'll animate that and post it in a second! I can't believe I didn't think of that! :D

*EDIT* Here it is with pecking!
expresso-peck-and-dig.gif
expresso-peck-and-dig.gif (11.71 KiB) Viewed 217996 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » March 19th, 2012, 5:52 am

This is neat! :)

I'll send you a PM in a minute.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » March 19th, 2012, 6:05 am

Cool beans 8-) I'm glad you like it!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 19th, 2012, 6:14 am

Phyre, I found this. It's not perfect, but hopefully it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-QHPfuc ... re=related
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 19th, 2012, 6:21 am

Thanks, Ton. (It's alright if I call you that, right?)

I'm still not sure if he should just be swimming on top of the water, or if he should be able to swim down and be actually in the water.... maybe both, I guess. That could be an interesting feature. Swimming on top is different from swimming down in from the videos I've watched. With the frogs (or toads) on top, their arms are generally facing forward or backward, and they rarely push them out. With them swimming underneath, their arms and legs go crazy!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 19th, 2012, 6:33 am

Of course. That's what most people call me. :P

Yeah, in my head I've been thinking of ways to expand the buddies while making them unique and balanced. My idea for Winky would be that he could swim on the surface (swamp levels, for instance), but maybe he can dip underwater in more aquatic levels? He would allow for faster mobility, but has no way of defending himself. Out of water he'd get that horizontal super jump.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 19th, 2012, 7:05 am

Okay, I just wanted to make sure ;)

I'm looking at my Winky animation again... I really don't think I want to do anything more to it. I'm going to post the PSD of it, and if anybody else wants to mess with it more, they're more than welcome to. I'm just having a really hard time wanting to do anything more, because, to me, it looks good.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 19th, 2012, 8:30 am

I'd like to mess with it if you don't mind posting the frames.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 19th, 2012, 8:42 am

Here ya go!
winky swimming.png
winky swimming.png (22.13 KiB) Viewed 217967 times

I took your original sprite sheet and rotated it, so if you want, I can post your rotated sheet as well.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 19th, 2012, 8:50 am

Sure. It's mostly the hands I want to play with anyway. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 19th, 2012, 8:53 am

Here you go.
Attachments
whole winky sheet.png
whole winky sheet.png (66.22 KiB) Viewed 217963 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 20th, 2012, 8:17 am

Phyre, here's my layout for the arm position. I'm not sure how it would look animated. Would you mind giving it a shot for me? I want to make sure the placement is close before I start pasting hands on. ;)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 20th, 2012, 8:34 am

I will definitely animate this for you. It might take a little while, as I'm at work right now and I have school tomorrow. I'll be able to animate it and have it up tomorrow around 4:30 EDT.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » March 21st, 2012, 6:25 am

Here you go, Ton.
winkyswimmingedit.gif
winkyswimmingedit.gif (12.49 KiB) Viewed 217865 times

The only problem I see is when he's bringing his arms forward again, the elbow bends the wrong way... unless that's his wrist and not his elbow.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 21st, 2012, 7:58 am

It is his wrist, actually. Not too bad, if I do say so myself. Now to find hands that'll work on it. I may edit his back flippers as he brings them back toward the body as well so they bend against the water.

EDIT: On closer inspection, I might rotate the legs a tad as he kicks out. There's no force behind that propulsion.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 24th, 2012, 12:33 am

How's your editing going? I'm curious to see what you've done so far, if you don't mind putting up a preview :) If you need anything animated, don't hesitate to ask!

Don't forget to tell me if you have any other animating suggestions (or if I've missed any suggestions)!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 24th, 2012, 4:55 am

I actually haven't done any more since I posted that. Work has been nuts. :/
Soon though!
And you know, the more I look at it, the more I think the legs are fine.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 25th, 2012, 2:40 am

Well, I've attempted to put Klobber in a DK barrel... I think it's futile. I had seen the previous attempt at it in the custom/edited section and thought I might be able to do it. It looks really bad.
dk-barrel-klobber-attempt.gif
dk-barrel-klobber-attempt.gif (10.5 KiB) Viewed 217733 times

Even if I could get it to look right, the shadow of "DK" is on the wrong side.

Well, it was worth a shot, I guess :\

I have a few ideas for one of DK's unused animations. They're not going to be edited, just animated. I was thinking of using DK's pushing animations to make him push the giant tires in DKC2. I was also thinking of an easy way to get Kiddy to swap buddies. I liked what leo_core did for switching to Kiddy, but not switching from Kiddy. I was thinking of just using his pick up and throw animations to switch from Kiddy to either DK or Diddy.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 25th, 2012, 3:33 am

The DK symbol just looks a little jumpy in some frames. Did you just take Klobber and put the DK symbol on top of him? That might be the way to go.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 25th, 2012, 3:48 am

I started out that way. I tried to match the DK symbol's angle as much as I could for each frame, then I animated it. I looked at it when it was moving, then tried to move some parts around. I think it's a futile effort.

Oh, and I lied. I did have to edit the unused pushing sprite. I thought he pushed and walked at the same time, but he didn't... so I edited that to make him push the giant tire. What do you guys think?

Please excuse the fact that the tire animation jumps a little bit. The animation frames of the tire didn't match 100% with the pushing sprites, but I don't think that matters in game...

I might just take the last push frame and use the walking legs with that, but the animation would seem too stiff, I think. Ideally, it would be nice to make DK's arms push upward (think about how you would push a giant tire... I think you'll understand what I mean), rather than have him hold his arms out.

*EDIT*
I've fixed his push and walk animations a little bit.
dk-pushing-giant-tire-fixed.gif
dk-pushing-giant-tire-fixed.gif (32.01 KiB) Viewed 217720 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks