DKCLB Ideas, Concepts, and Gimmicks Topic.

The dream tool of any hardcore DKC player, the DKCLB aims to make editable in unison all elements from the original DKC Trilogy, and allow customization of it all, too! Powered by the Delta Suite.

DKCLB Ideas, Concepts, and Gimmicks Topic.

Postby Markster » November 14th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Just post whatever ideas for Simion32's DELTA/DKCLB you got, just for an example, I will show off one of my concepts.
----------
Here is what I plan for the file select.

Markster DELTA File Select.PNG
Markster DELTA File Select.PNG (23.8 KiB) Viewed 91689 times

There are 12 files, when a file is empty, it will be light blue, if it is being used, then it will be dark blue.
Also, there are file options.

X = Erase - Erase the data you don't want.
+ = Copy - Copy the data you want, because you never know when it will be deleted.
D-Pad = Move Data - Move data from one file to another, you can copy then delete the old one but that takes more time.
! = Edit - Edit the files data, like the name.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Re: DKCLB Ideas, Concepts, and Gimmicks Topic.

Postby Markster » November 15th, 2011, 3:23 am

Another idea I have is a 320x240 resolution upgrade, here is the comparison picture.

DKC 256x224 Verses 320x240.PNG
DKC 256x224 Verses 320x240.PNG (28.3 KiB) Viewed 91679 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby HellFire » November 15th, 2011, 5:21 am

I support the resolution upgrade, but only if the original is still available.
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » November 15th, 2011, 8:44 am

Any level resolution under 1600x1200 will be possible, including multiple resolutions per level.

If you had a screen large enough you could see the entire level - but don't expect large screens to run fast, as for every double in picture size, the amount of graphics math quadruples!

Also: File selects are also going to be custom, therefore you can have whatever design you like. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » November 17th, 2011, 4:20 am

Here is a concept of DKCR's Rocket Barrel or whatever on the SNES DKC games, I know it sucks but I tried.

Rocket Barrel.PNG
Rocket Barrel.PNG (22.99 KiB) Viewed 91633 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » November 24th, 2011, 1:59 am

You know that two player mode in Donkey Kong Country Returns, well here is what it should look like SNES style.

Two Player Simultaneous.png
Two Player Simultaneous
Two Player Simultaneous.png (44.58 KiB) Viewed 91608 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » November 24th, 2011, 7:50 am

Here is a new cool little concept here, a SNES style remake of Donkey Kong Land, here is what it would probably look like.

Nautilus Chase.png
Nautilus Chase.png (34.04 KiB) Viewed 91597 times

----------
Credit to aperson98 for making the Nautilus sprite.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby HellFire » November 25th, 2011, 12:31 am

Markster wrote:You know that two player mode in Donkey Kong Country Returns, well here is what it should look like SNES style.

...and with netplay support, that would be awesome.
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » November 25th, 2011, 3:58 am

...except that DELTA will not have netplay.

The processor time required to coordinate such a thing is so disproportionate as to really delay the engine. You know how online MMORPGs are slow? Yeah, THAT kind of slow. :ugeek:

Let's put it this way... I'd LIKE very much to do a netplay feature, but the chances of it being useable would be very, very slim, as there's a ton of stuff to coordinate, and to keep everything synced you'd want guaranteed message delivery, which is slower than just using UDP where message sends are not guaranteed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » December 7th, 2011, 12:44 am

I know some of you are waiting for a Backfire Barrel Cannon update, well here it is.

Backfire Barrel 2.0.PNG
Backfire Barrel Cannon 2.0
Backfire Barrel 2.0.PNG (8.57 KiB) Viewed 91541 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » December 22nd, 2011, 9:18 am

Markster, I love your idea for the backfire barrels! I also love the sprite you made of the DKL nautilus guy (I can't think of his name).

I had an idea for a new bonus idea: bowl the baddies. It would be pretty easy, and very similar to bash the baddies. You start at the beginning and roll on a keg and bowl over really tough enemies that you can't normally kill (Zingers, Krushas, etc.).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » December 22nd, 2011, 9:24 am

I didn't make that nautilus sprite, aperson98 did, but thanks anyways, I think I did a great job at making the backfire barrels, once DELTA/DKCLB comes out, I will put the sprite in the game, both DKC1, and DKC2/DKC3 versions.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » December 23rd, 2011, 8:34 am

Here is a cool concept, dumb drums that shoot more than just enemys, this dumb drum shoots -1 balloons, Simion32 came up with the object, but I want to use it in this concept.

Dumb Drum -1 Balloon.PNG
Dumb Drum -1 Balloon.PNG (35.41 KiB) Viewed 91484 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » December 24th, 2011, 11:57 am

Credit to doug kong for the Kiddy sprite.
This is another concept of two player mode.

Final.PNG
Final.PNG (41.13 KiB) Viewed 91470 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Ninni973 » December 25th, 2011, 12:30 am

Hey, Markster, try doing another concept of Donkey Kong Land SNES remake. This time, do a city level. I would love to see it SNES style.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby Markster » December 28th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Here is another custom sprite.

Skull & Bones Barrel.PNG
Skull & Bones Barrel.PNG (6.11 KiB) Viewed 91409 times

----------
The S&B icon was ripped from the Enemy Drum object, and then pasted on a barrel, you do the same if you want to complete the animation, I bet that DKC4 fan-game would need this.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » January 29th, 2012, 4:25 am

Wow, Markster, I love the death barrels. Do you have an idea on what they should be used for? I have an idea... They remind me of the things in Crash Bandicoot where you had to make it to that point without dying, then you got to take special paths to get a gem.

I have an idea that I posted elsewhere, but I'll post it here, too, because it probably should be here :P
I was thinking there should be red and blue barrels. The red thaw, and the blue freeze. The freezing barrels could be used to freeze enemies or water. The thawing barrels could be used to thaw blocks of ice that contain things like bananas, lives, KONG letters, or secret paths or something.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » January 29th, 2012, 6:22 am

I was going to use them for the kind of barrel that is in DKCR.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » January 29th, 2012, 6:31 am

Skull and bones barrels explode after you shoot, making the barrel gone (unless you die and restart the level).

DKCR Barrel Cannons are a little bit different than normal DKC ones.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » January 29th, 2012, 7:01 am

How's this, Phyre?

FreezeFlameBarrels.png
FreezeFlameBarrels.png (6.04 KiB) Viewed 91316 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby The Banana Bird » January 29th, 2012, 7:23 am

Simion, those are amazing! How in the world did you do that? (This is obviously a dumb question since I am just a rook at it, while a pro like one of you forum goers would probably know.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 29th, 2012, 9:46 am

Simion, that's like exactly what I had in my brain! Awesomeness!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » January 29th, 2012, 9:47 am

Glad you liked it! :D

(1) Google appropriate element symbols and save them (must be PNG formated) — this takes a bit more effort than one may think because putting in "xyz elemental symbol" doesn't really get you what you needed.
(2) Take the element image and edit if necessary (all image editing done with Paint.NET)
(3) Resize element image to fit barrel properly.
(4) Apply any special effects needed to the element symbol (I used a multiplicative gradient to produce a shadow on the snowflake).
(5) Change Hue/Sat of the barrel image

This was an easy 10 minute image hack. See some of my idea concepts in the Custom Level Ideas thread, especially Polluted Permafrost. Several of those images took hours to complete! ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » January 29th, 2012, 2:24 pm

ElementalBarrels_Phyre_Simion32.png
This took since my last post. Most complex one was the Photon Barrel.
ElementalBarrels_Phyre_Simion32.png (38.45 KiB) Viewed 91293 times

OK, how about these? 8-)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Super Luigi! » January 29th, 2012, 2:46 pm

"Simion32 has collected all of the Chaos Barrels. Now Simion32 can turn into Super Simion64"
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Markster » January 29th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Nice picture Simion32, but what do these barrels exactly do?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » January 29th, 2012, 3:01 pm

VideoViking and I just dicussed that matter, most of these were his ideas:

Photon: Nothing definite proposed, but V.V. suggested that it rid the screen of all enemies.
Shadow: Either creates a temporary weaponized black hole when it breaks, OR could create a portal to another area.
Stone: Breaks ground caches, doesn't bounce, can bowl over very tough enemies, and obviously is heavier. Only Donkey Kong (or stronger) can pick this one up.
Freeze, Water, Flame: Elemental-based attacks that should be pretty obvious. Ice and Water barrels could be used as switches in place of clapper, possibly.
Thunder: Attacks all enemies within a range by chaining lightning bolts from enemy to enemy. Can cover extremely large distances if used carefully.
Seed: Something to do with growing plants.
Radioactive: VideoViking had the idea that it has weird effects like killing all enemies you touch for a period of time, and permanent effects like unearthing item caches you pass automatically and opening bonus doors out of nowhere.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » January 29th, 2012, 3:08 pm

This is probably a terrible idea... but maybe the radioactive one can make your Kong glow green to light dark areas.

I also thought it would be cool to have one that makes your Kong invisible to pass through enemies unscathed, but without killing the enemies.

Also, Super Luigi... that was super funny! Totally made me laugh!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » January 29th, 2012, 3:13 pm

I agree with PhyreBurnz, that was funny.
----------
Markster has reached 600 posts.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby The Banana Bird » January 30th, 2012, 2:35 am

Super Luigi, you never fail to make me laugh at your jokes. Simion, those are even better then last time! How about the seed barrel makes a tall vine grow that you can climb to get things high up that the kongs cannot team up to get or jump to reach it. There could be a bonus in the ir or treetops with prizes on them. You never know what you can find and that would be the cool thing.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Super Luigi! » January 30th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Making people laugh is just what I do. It's like my job. Oh, and maybe the Photon Emerald, I mean, Barrel can show all the hidden Barrel Cannons in a level, either until the level ends or just for 20 seconds.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » February 8th, 2012, 7:21 am

ElementalBarrels2.png
ElementalBarrels2.png (57.36 KiB) Viewed 91168 times

Seed Barrel - Grow some plants with this. But be sure to mind your green thumbs, or it might not grow anything at all.
Stone Barrel - Breaks ground caches, doesn't bounce, can bowl over very tough enemies, and obviously is heavier. Only Donkey Kong (or stronger) can pick this one up.
Earth Barrel - Combine the dirt you get from this barrel with Seed and Aqua barrels to get some breathtaking botanical boosts.
Flame Barrel - Unleash a devastating fiery inferno unto your toughest enemies. Can also melt ice water.
Aqua Barrel - Can create platforms in sub-zero environments, and also acts as fertilizer for various plants.
Freeze Barrel - Can freeze water, and cool lava. When unleashed elsewhere, it freezes the nearest enemies in their tracks.
Cyclone Barrel - Acts as a throwable midair floating platform, or can be used as a weapon to create a tornado to whisk off enemies when it breaks.
Thunder Barrel - Attacks all enemies within a range by chaining lightning bolts from enemy to enemy. Can cover extremely large distances if used carefully.
Photon Barrel - All enemies are instantaneously removed from the screen in a blinding flash of light.
Shadow Barrel - Creates a temporary weaponized black hole when it breaks. Can sometimes create a portal to another area if you're lucky.
Blade Barrel - This barrel is nothing but an obstacle, and will shred through anything less than explosives or a steel keg. It will even hurt enemies!
Radiation Barrel - Has effects like killing all enemies you touch for a period of time, and permanent effects like unearthing item caches you pass automatically and opening bonus doors out of nowhere.
GFed Barrels and Ing Barrels - These technologically-oriented barrels can hold some pretty strange things, including ammunition. Typically they are used as storage containers but can be used like a steel keg when you really need it. Themed after Metroid Prime 2.
Bandage Barrel - Restores Health
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » March 7th, 2012, 10:29 am

I know it's been a month, but good job on that Simion32.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby The Banana Bird » April 9th, 2012, 2:08 am

What do you mean by restores health for the Bandage Barrel?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » April 9th, 2012, 7:37 am

The Bandage Barrel assumes there is a health meter of some sort being used.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » April 14th, 2012, 1:47 am

I'm not sure where else I should put this... but I've had this idea for a while. I have an interesting concept for a new ability for Diddy and a new object. I think an interesting object would be monkey bars. It would be similar to the horizontal ropes. The ability for Diddy would be to cartwheel on the underside of the monkey bars. It could be something that only Diddy could do and that the monkey bars could lead to secret areas (like how Dixie's spin can lead to areas only she can get to). My thoughts would be to have Kremlings (or some other baddie) able to use the monkey bars, but Diddy would be the only one able to attack while using them. Kremling-less monkey bars could be used by other Kongs without a problem.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » April 14th, 2012, 1:50 am

How about smaller Manky Kongs can use the monkey bars Phyre? That would be pretty interesting. They'll just move back and forth trying to attack.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » April 14th, 2012, 1:52 am

That's a great idea, Banana Bird! I could probably animate that, I think. I'll have to look at the Manky sprites to see if they could be worked with.

*EDIT* Sadly, I don't think I could animate it. I think that Manky has too little to work with. I think the only way it could be done would be to make a 3-D model of him.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » May 13th, 2012, 11:17 am

Wow, I can't believe how popular this topic has gotten.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

The Hive - Playable Zinger

Postby Morzeka » May 18th, 2012, 11:34 am

Representing the king of the zingers, I may as well provide a relative idea.

Playable Zinger
To counter the efforts of the Kongs, I have deployed specially bred zingers with superior sentience.
I will not reveal their appearance, as I shall keep their incursion a mystery (I haven't made sprites v.v), but I can promise to you their lethality. Equipped with spines, my zingers are fully protected from any Kong effort from jumping atop their fragile bodies (but you already knew this). Their sting is powerful, and can be used to assault enemies in front of them (equivalent to Diddy's kartwheel attack, or Dixie's hair spin attack, etc - while held down, it enables the zinger to move at a faster pace). Although my zingers' are capable of flight, these recent evolutions have hindered their wings and require them to crawl on the ground for most of their efforts (zingers cannot jump, but they can fly for a short duration. As an alternative, zingers can climb walls). Flight is only available as a temporary perk when obstacles demand it.
Now because zingers aren't necessarily friendly towards life balloons, I have also sent out specially designed zingers that carry honey in their abdomens. These "carriers" will provide "life honey" to sustain the life of my superior breed (instead of balloons, honey sacs are laid upon the ground to give additional lives).

Now because these bred zingers are all prototypes, I'm not a hundred percent on their evolution. But we will see...
The Kongs will never rid of our superior existence, and the hive shall forever shadow the lands.

Sincerely,
King Morzeka.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Super Luigi! » May 18th, 2012, 1:17 pm

You know, you're starting to scare me Morzeka. Your idea sure is original, but I have one question. Is the playable Zinger from these new breeds going to be by itself, or is it going to have some sort of partner, because I'm sure pairing Zinger 2.0 with a Kong is out of the question.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Morzeka » May 19th, 2012, 3:03 am

Super Luigi! wrote:You know, you're starting to scare me Morzeka. Your idea sure is original, but I have one question. Is the playable Zinger from these new breeds going to be by itself, or is it going to have some sort of partner, because I'm sure pairing Zinger 2.0 with a Kong is out of the question.

Haha, well...
To be quite honest, when I exhaled the Zinger idea, I forgot to tag-team him/her/it with a partner. I may have to devise a few breed variants to fill in the roles that the kongs did for each other.

Sincerely,
King Morzeka.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Morzeka » June 1st, 2012, 6:38 pm

Greetings,

I simply introduce a new archetype with a quick and lazy preview of an enemy sub-variant that will oppose the Kongs.
Donkey Kong has found his shadow - a fiend that has crept out from another world, reaching out to pull Donkey Kong into its own playground.
The below image is only a prototype of a sprite I put together. I just need a good direction to take it.

Behold...
Attachments
Donkey Kong's Shadow.png
A gaze from another world...
Donkey Kong's Shadow.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 90601 times
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Morzeka » June 3rd, 2012, 4:54 am

Hahaha, not the world I had in mind, but I can definitely see the similarities now.
It just beguiles me to experiment with the sprites, as I don't normally do sprite work that often anymore.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Phyreburnz » June 25th, 2012, 2:51 am

I just got an idea for a little gimmick, but I'm not sure how it could be done.

I was thinking of having a land-based (probably some kind of bird) version of the glowy fish in Floodlit Fish. I thought it would be neat to have a place where barrels appear every time you throw one beside the glowing birds, so when you come up to the bird, you don't have to worry about attacking it, because, quite frankly, if it's flying, I don't know how one could hit it... I'm thinking it could be a modified Booty Bird (I'll work on a preview); I'm thinking the name could be Radioactive Robin :mrgreen: The level it would be in would have to be a vertical level (maybe like Treetops from either DKC or DKC3).

It would also be a neat idea to have a similar to DK64 bosses with barrels, where in places where barrels constantly appear, there's some kind of platform where they appear. It might be better than not having a platform... I dunno.

For my Glimmering Galleon level, I wanted to have a white Manky (which somebody came up with before), but I'd like to see if we could make it throw those freeze barrels that Simion designed. Would the sideways barrels work? Could those barrels look right when they're thrown? I'd love to see a Manky Kong throw them!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » June 25th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Sorry for double posting, but this is a new gimmick. I had thought of bananas and such in frozen blocks, so I made it!

Here is what it would look like for a letter and banana:
ice block letter.png
ice block letter.png (5.04 KiB) Viewed 90484 times

ice block banana.png
ice block banana.png (4.85 KiB) Viewed 90484 times

You could use the ice block to make anything encased in ice... I was even thinking it could make for a cool background type thing... think about a Kremling frozen in a block of ice! Be careful with a fire or TNT barrel, though! You could unleash a Kremling! But the frozen blocks should be used to jump higher... so I was thinking something similar to Spyro2, in that you could use those freeze barrels to freeze a Kremling and jump on the ice to make a new platform. But I guess it would really only work with invincible or hard to kill Kremlings like Rockrock, all the Krusha-esque baddies, and Klumps, because you could bounce on regular baddies to jump higher...
frozen krusha.png
frozen krusha.png (10.22 KiB) Viewed 90484 times

This is what I actually used. I took one of the ice platforms from one of the DKC2 ice levels, and made it smaller. In Photoshop, I had one ice block layer in the background, then the item (letter or banana), and then put another layer of the ice block on top at about 37% opacity.

ice block.png
ice block.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 90484 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » August 1st, 2012, 3:20 am

Here is something new for you all, here it is, Bazuka that shoots missiles, these missiles will follow the kong for 5 seconds, look out for them, your probably wondering where I got the missile graphic, from C&C Red Alert 2, that game uses the same graphic style as the DKC trilogy.
Missle.PNG
Missile Bazuka
Missle.PNG (24.62 KiB) Viewed 90371 times

----------
Also, I'm using my dad's crappy PC, my computer's VGA port is gone, so I plan to buy a graphics card with my allowance money I have been saving up, the graphics card is much better than the integrated piece of crap. http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Expr ... 493&sr=1-1
This piece of crap PC can't even run DKC4 The DK Bay fangame from YoYoGames, nor DELTA.
----------
Half of the graphic rips are from unknown people, so all I have to say is credit to everyone who ripped these.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Next

Return to DKC Level Builder