Kroctopus

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country 3 port for GBA.

Kroctopus

Postby Kowbrainz » March 11th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Ugh... I seriously don't know how long the GBA team spent on this boss, but it was obviously even less than Kerozene from DKC2.

This... thing doesn't even fit in the DKC series at all. It isn't even an octopus! Or a crocodile variant! It doesn't look anything like the original Croctopus from DKC, either!

For those who haven't played the game, go search Kroctopus on youtube to see the boss fight. Basically, a huge, green slimeball with three "tentacles" - each tentacle being a set of rendered spheres connected (well, not really) in a chain with "claws" at the end of each for grabbing you with.

How to defeat him? A bomb comes down - no, not a TNT barrel, a bomb with eyes which you cannot pick up - you must guide Kroctopus's tentacles towards it to blow it up and hurt him instead.

Yeah... wow I hate Rare's GBA team for this... >.>;
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Re: Kroctopus

Postby Qyzbud » March 11th, 2008, 10:22 pm

I'm glad you decided to bring this up in the appropriate section. I was worried there for a sec.

I haven't actually played Kroctopus. Now I am thinking I don't want to. I'll have a look at some recorded gameplay though...

*Watches video*

krocktopussy.jpg
krocktopussy.jpg (12.4 KiB) Viewed 33998 times

Holy crap. That was truly dreadful.
Worst. Boss. EVAR.

The music reminded me of Rocket Rush.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » March 11th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Krocktopussy.jpg

Haha. that's a good name for it.

It looks too much like a sludge monster.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Stone » March 12th, 2008, 5:47 am

What the f*** is this green thing? :D
Really out of place, even if they inserted a picture of me instead of that green mess, it would fit two times better!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby nickp17 » March 12th, 2008, 1:48 pm

Gah.

Couldn't agree more. But its a port, what do ya expect?
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby CM August » March 12th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Really, the game kind of toes the line between a port and a bastardization. God, those new sound effects did not help Dave Wise's attempts at ambience.
Jungle Explorer

Postby cfh » March 13th, 2008, 8:03 am

I played the port before the SNES version, and this boss is actually enjoyable. But I did go WTF at the bomb. :roll:
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » March 13th, 2008, 8:10 am

I went more WTF at the boss than the bomb. What's with the tentacles? Pac-men on chains. :roll:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kobble » June 27th, 2008, 4:06 pm

Oh come on! Something's better than nothing. Unlike the god forbidden original DKC port, which gave us absolutely nothing new.
Tourist

Postby CM August » June 28th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Au contraire, plenty of new things were added to the DKC port. Most of them worthless and unnecessary, as port tradition dictates, but it's still something. For example, every boss besides K. Rool had a new attack pattern. Not bad at all.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Kiddy14 » June 28th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Holy crap. That was truly dreadful.
Worst. Boss. EVAR.

The music reminded me of Rocket Rush.

cfh wrote:I played the port before the SNES version, and this boss is actually enjoyable. But I did go WTF at the bomb. :roll:

Yeah, it is indeed really fun! =) I even like finding ways of actually beating it with Kiddy =P

The music is really cool. Sounds like some techno-badass-boss music to me. A quite bizarre change in the DKC music really, but with Wise's touch in it. I like it =D

And maybe they could have made better bomb designs...but in DKC3 not everything makes sense. Maybe it would be cool if they would have used "mini dumb drums", but then they would be cataloged as "lazy" because of reusing an enemy from a prequel in a boss fight.

I actually like the boss =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 8th, 2008, 9:05 am

Ha! Back in 2006 when I first bought the DKC3 port, I remember getting to the end of Razor Ridge and thinking: "Okay, here it comes! The new boss!" My reaction? Something like this: :|

It would've at least been a little cooler if it was in Pacifica. Seriously, why would they take a boss from his own world only to have him replaced with a crappier one? Grrr.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » August 8th, 2008, 11:02 am

I think they moved Barbos to Pacifica because he is a true 'water' boss, and Pacifica is a water world. It almost makes sense, but I don't agree with it; Barbos suited Razor Ridge just fine, and was a much cooler boss. I think they should have spent some serious time/effort/thought on making the new Pacifica boss a far more interesting and challenging battle. The fact that they named this blobby slime-beast Kroctopus bothers me a fair bit, too. It's like an anti-homage to DKC...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 8th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Lately I've been thinking (and Scribes is there to back me up) that the DKC3 port must have been extremely rushed. I mean, sure, they made five or six new levels and a crappy boss, but the other ports had so much more to do... I'm talking about minigames that were actually fun to play and the Scrapbook.*

*Okay, so the pictures were annoying to collect. But nothing feels better than poppin' in your DKC2 cartridge and flipping through a completed scrapbook, I tell you what. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » August 9th, 2008, 1:24 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Lately I've been thinking (and Scribes is there to back me up) that the DKC3 port must have been extremely rushed. I mean, sure, they made five or six new levels and a crappy boss, but the other ports had so much more to do... I'm talking about minigames that were actually fun to play and the Scrapbook.*

*Okay, so the pictures were annoying to collect. But nothing feels better than poppin' in your DKC2 cartridge and flipping through a completed scrapbook, I tell you what. :)

Yeah, I think the only things added here were some new map screens, the new levels, Funky's boat things and that was it. No time trial. D:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 18th, 2009, 7:40 pm

The first time I fought him I thought he was OK.

However, the next time I fought him he was ridiculously difficult. I don't know why the bombs had to have eyes, they do look like something out of a Banjo game. He didn't fit at all with the rest of the games graphics either.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Phyreburnz » November 14th, 2010, 3:12 am

Okay, the first time I saw this, I thought it was a joke.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Gaz » February 26th, 2012, 3:26 am

1. Kroctopus honestly is a ripped-off name of Croctopus.
2. This proves another reason why Rare is lazy.
3. It needs a better model.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby The Banana Bird » February 26th, 2012, 9:47 am

It sucked but it was better then nothing. They could of thrown something better in though. I honestly don't pay attention to what he looks like or the name. I just want to kill it and have a fun time doing it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Return to DKC3 Port (GBA)