Hardest Level in the DKC Series?

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Snow Barrel Blast
4%
Tanked Up Trouble
2%
Blackout Basement
2%
Elevator Antics
2%
Platform Perils
4%
Web Woods
8%
Toxic Tower
6%
Schreech's Sprint
No votes
Klobber Karnage
4%
Animal Antics
50%
Lightning Look-out
6%
Koindozer Klamber
No votes
Poisonous Pipeline
2%
Tyrant Twin Tussle
2%
Swoopy Salvo
4%
Rocket Rush
6%

Total votes : 52

Postby Kiddy14 » July 17th, 2008, 6:41 am

We all know about the hardest levels in the DKC series. But what's the hardest?

Would it be DKC3's Swoopy Salvo, or DKC2's Animal Antics, or DKC's Platform Perils?

Well... why not decide?

Vote here =)

Oh, and the thing with DKC2 and DKC3 having more levels is that I'm taking the hardest normal levels plus 2 or 3 lost worlds levels.

Still, if you have any adition or think a level is harder than those posted, tell me before voting!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Re: Hardest Level in the DKC Series?

Postby Jomingo » July 17th, 2008, 7:06 am

I don't think Swoopy's Salvo was that hard.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby NxCy » July 17th, 2008, 7:12 am

Try playing Klobber Karnage on ZSNES. The lack of control of the spinning barrels makes it intense.
Tourist

Postby CaptainEddie » July 17th, 2008, 7:42 am

Platform Perils was easy. Elevator Antics was what got me.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Kiddy14 » July 17th, 2008, 11:21 am

NxCy wrote:Try playing Klobber Karnage on ZSNES. The lack of control of the spinning barrels makes it intense.

I mean in the actual SNES. Emulator glitches weren't most likely when they were developing the game.

Oh, and I spent 75 lives in Swoopy Salvo, but doesn't compare with my 85 lives and 1 game over of Tirant Twin Tussle =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby NxCy » July 17th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Yeah, I know.
It's just that all the levels mentioned, under normal conditions, are pretty easy.
Tourist

Postby Kiddy14 » July 18th, 2008, 3:59 am

I think you mean right after all these years.
I got a lot of trouble in Tanked Up Trouble when i first played it, usually game overs and that stuff. Now I can go through it like normal.
Do you suggest other levels? I can't change them back because many people have already voted, but what levels would you say? =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby CaptainEddie » July 18th, 2008, 4:12 am

My friend(he doesn't like Nintendo :roll: ) got stuck on Jungle Hijinx. :lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby FunkyKong » July 24th, 2008, 2:16 pm

Im sorry to hear that... :o
Trainee Trekker

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 6:26 am

CaptainEddie wrote:My friend got stuck on Jungle Hijinx.

He was probably losing on purpose, do you remember where he kept losing lives? Back on-topic, I really don't like Web Woods, I get stuck on that level a lot, and it's really long. When I was little, the bosses of DKC2 I was stuck on were Kleever, King Zing, the second Krow, and King K. Rool, when I got this on the VC, I still had trouble with King Zing and the ghostly Krow! They are much easier on the GBA version in my opinion.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » July 28th, 2008, 7:01 am

I got stuck in King Zing Sting for 2 months, then I remembered all of his moves and eventually won.

I completed Web Woods the first time I played it, easy level, if you don't have patience you will eventually die.
The technique in the level is to be patience, use the L and R buttons to launch Squitter's web platforms faster (instead of double-tapping A), and your done. The same with the DK Coin.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 7:04 am

Thanks for the tip. It's just that there is something I don't like about it.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 7:55 am

I don't like the one with Rattly in the woods, where it's really windy. That one is kinda tough.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 10:49 am

That one is called Ghostly Glade.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » July 28th, 2008, 10:55 am

No, it should be Gusty Glade. The other ones are called Ghostly Grove and Web Woods.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » July 28th, 2008, 1:47 pm

It's ok, Gusty and Ghostly are really simmilar words.

That is actually my favorite woods level, I like getting the blue balloon Rattly gives when he vanishes.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DK4Ever » July 29th, 2008, 9:26 am

Come on guys, it's Bramble Scramble, that's one of the hardest levels ever, but, since it's not up, I'll vote for in my opinion the second hardest, Web Woods.. its so... looooooooong..... argghh!
Treasure Hunter

Postby CaptainEddie » July 29th, 2008, 9:46 am

Bramble Scramble? Isn't that the one in Krazy Kremland? If so, that was easy. I breezed right through it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby DK4Ever » July 29th, 2008, 12:39 pm

CaptainEddie wrote:Bramble Scramble? Isn't that the one in Krazy Kremland? If so, that was easy. I breezed right through it.

Really? Yeah, it was the one in Crazy Kremland.

I dunno, I must have just been really nervous, having to control Squawks, and watch out for Brambles the whole time.
Treasure Hunter

Postby CaptainEddie » July 29th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Actually, you can go down to the brambles below you, you'll just bounce along them. Be careful about slants, though.

I always liked being Squaks. His flying felt really nice and his coconut things were easy to aim with. That and awesome music, it was easy for me.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby DK4Ever » July 30th, 2008, 7:18 am

Actually, I've changed my vote, after playing through DKC 3 yesterday, and reaching Lightning Look-out....

I had forgotten about that one, it's so...random, and nerve-racking!!! gragh!!! Don't get in the water!!!!!!
Treasure Hunter

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 30th, 2008, 8:27 am

When I was little, I thought Poisonous Pipeline, Swoopy Salvo, Rocket Rush, and Screech's Sprint were annoying, I even had trouble with Rickety Rage!
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DKCplayer » July 31st, 2008, 4:40 pm

Stampede Sprint is really annoying. Ellie is hard to control (Obviously) and Perry just makes an extra challenge.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Jomingo » August 1st, 2008, 1:12 am

GamerBoy, do you mean Rickety Race? Or Ripsaw Rage?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Goe » August 11th, 2008, 12:41 am

Klobber karnage...by far
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Kowbrainz » August 11th, 2008, 1:00 am

For DKC2, picking Animal Antics is a no brainer. I don't think I ever lost that many lives on other levels, unless it was when I first played the game all those years ago. It was really tough; finally getting used to one section after losing so many times, only to get tortured by the next.

Swoopy Salvo for DKC3 was hard; with no DK or continue barrels was extremely annoying the first time through. In DKC; I think I got stuck on Tanked Up Trouble the first time I played through.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Blaziken257 » August 11th, 2008, 8:55 am

I think Platform Perils is the single hardest level in the entire DK series. It has these tiny platforms that go fast enough to give you little time to react, and it's the only level in the game with Gray Krushas -- the kind that not even Donkey can jump on. So you have to kill them with barrels, but if you throw a barrel and miss (easy to do if you're using Diddy, as he is terrible at throwing barrels), then you're screwed, as there are platforms that are completely taken up by gray Krushas, forcing you to get knocked off and lose a life.

In DKC2, I think Toxic Tower is the hardest. The toxic water rises so fast, and if you make a mistake jumping from one place to the next, you fall down into the slime. If you fall down long enough, it isn't even possible to make your way back up to safety. The Rattly part is especially hard (in DKC2, anyway), because you don't have much room for error... by the time you get to Squawks, the toxic water is far down enough to give you enough time. But those red Zingers make it hard, too. (There's also a Toxic Tower in DKL2, which isn't much easier since you start with Squitter, who is much harder to control in DKL2 than in DKC2, and his part is a bit longer in DKL2 than DKC2).

In DKC3, Swoopy Salvo is the hardest for me. It shouldn't need much explanation -- there are Swoopys EVERYWHERE. They just don't stop, and they're in your way all the time. The hardest part is getting to the first bonus (and the DK coin), as there is a tree completely guarded by a neverending flock of Swoopys. It doesn't help that their hit detection is so bad -- in the SNES version, I can never seem to hit any with an egg (it completely phases it), which means I can NEVER get through that place without taking a hit. And the bonus level is really hard (it's a green banana one with Swoopys diving, so you'll find yourself trying to make it back to the bonus again.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Kiddy14 » August 11th, 2008, 10:03 am

Blaziken257 wrote:It doesn't help that their hit detection is so bad -- in the SNES version, I can never seem to hit any with an egg (it completely phases it), which means I can NEVER get through that place without taking a hit.

I still say that's either a glitch in YOUR cartridge or you're bad at aiming. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Blaziken257 » August 11th, 2008, 10:30 am

Kiddy14 wrote:
Blaziken257 wrote:It doesn't help that their hit detection is so bad -- in the SNES version, I can never seem to hit any with an egg (it completely phases it), which means I can NEVER get through that place without taking a hit.

I still say that's either a glitch in YOUR cartridge or you're bad at aiming. :P

It's not a problem with my cartridge, because I have the same exact problem in the ROM.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Kiddy14 » August 11th, 2008, 11:44 am

The thing is that I CAN kill them and we have the same version (NTSC). And I showed you that video last year.

By the way, don't quote the exact same thing or you'll get in trouble.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DK4Ever » August 11th, 2008, 12:07 pm

I'd say

DKC - Platform Perils - Hardest level of all time

DKC 2 - Toxic Tower.. you just keep going...

DKC 3 - Lightning Look-out (I hate this one...)
Treasure Hunter

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 11th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Jomingo wrote:GamerBoy, do you mean Rickety Race? Or Ripsaw Rage?

Rickety Race, sorry about that. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, and I found a cool tip for Screech's Sprint, If you hit yourself on the top vine right before the race, then while you are transparent, quickly fly to the left, and you won't have to race Screech, I found that cheat on a site.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Gnawzooka » August 11th, 2008, 6:33 pm

I remember I always found the first half of Gloomy Gulch really hard, we tried so many times to get to a save point without getting game over. And the first time we played we couldn't get past.......Krow. :lol: but after a few plays they become really easy. I remember Blackout Basement was hard though, but I haven't played for years so... :(
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Stone » August 12th, 2008, 12:09 am

Blackout Basement is hard if you try to rush through it without knowing the entire level.
If you're used to it, it's one of the easier levels.

I've made a speedrun on this level. I suggest watching it if you're going to play it again, Gnawzooka ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYgD5Q7Rmw
I've tried speedrunning other levels, too, but I sucked completely (or wasn't able to do it as good as seen in some youtube videos) :D

Platform Perils is hard, but managable. Definately one of the hardest levels in DKC though.
Animal Antics in DKC2, of course. The Squawks part is horrible. Especially if you try to do it fast...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Gnawzooka » August 12th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Stone wrote:I've made a speedrun on this level. I suggest watching it if you're going to play it again, Gnawzooka

I hope I get the chance to, but I don't know where I could get a SNES. Although, I do plan to get a wii, and I think I heard that you can download it onto the wii or something...*knows very little about wiis*
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Simion32 » August 12th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Gnawzooka wrote:I heard that you can download it onto the wii or something...*knows very little about wiis*

Yep. It's called Virtual Console. You buy Wii point cards, use the numbers on the cards to get the points onto your Wii, and then you can use the online Shop Channel to download retro games. SNES games are 800 points (basically that's 8 dollars. You can only get 2000 points at a time by the way).

As for the level I find hardest in the entire series, it is without a doubt Animal Antics. I think I can remember wasting 50+ lives on that level the first time through. The brambles part of the level is very hard!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Gnawzooka » August 12th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Ah yes, when you're Squitter and being attacked by Mini Neckies. I hated travelling with Squitter. I also remember the brambles near the Flying Krock was a really hard level up until the race. Damn brambles. :x
Thanks, by the way. ;)
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby NS Guy » September 19th, 2008, 5:05 am

Screech's Sprint is hard for me because I always think I am about to lose when Screech passes me, so I hold Y to go faster, and promptly die. About Animal Antics (woohoo! Triple alliteration!): The Squawks part is actually pretty easy for me, it's the Rattly section I always die at.

EDIT: Never mind, I changed it to Animal Antics. I had only got there in the GBA version, where the wind is weaker and the continue barrel is farther in the level.
Tourist

Postby The Guy » October 11th, 2008, 9:54 am

Sorry for bumping.

Anyway, I voted Animal Antics as the Bramble area has strong winds, making it rather annoying.
Veteran Venturer

Postby PotoGamer » October 21st, 2008, 9:53 am

ANIMAL ANTICS!! I STILL haven't cleared it! :x When I played the level in the GBA version, I cleared it at my 4th try, so I thought the SNES version was just as easy. WRONG. It's 1,000,000+ times tougher! I still haven't gotten to the Rattly part...
Trailblazer

Postby Qyzbud » October 21st, 2008, 10:29 am

Animal Antics certainly is a challenge, but I usually find Toxic Tower even tougher; the rising acid obviously being the main reason. Funny that it's another multi-animal level... Slime Climb's another contender thanks to Snapjaw, and Kong-Fused Cliffs has its moments, but yeah - Toxic Tower's definitely the most intense non-lost-world level in the trilogy, I'd say.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby SLY JO » October 27th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Animal Antics hands down for me.
I was stuck on Toxic Tower for years (I was young) until I worked out how to super jump consistently.
Trainee Trekker

Postby KEVINKONG » August 15th, 2009, 4:56 am

I don't think Swoopy's Salvo was that hard.
it was reeeaalllyyyy haard
Tourist

Postby KEVINKONG » August 15th, 2009, 4:57 am

KEVINKONG wrote:I don't think Swoopy's Salvo was that hard.
it was reeeaalllyyyy haard

reallly
Tourist

Postby Jomingo » August 15th, 2009, 5:14 am

KEVINKONG, please do not double post.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby KEVINKONG » August 15th, 2009, 5:25 am

Okay,Jomingo,would you go to my new topic?
Tourist

Postby Shadow » November 6th, 2009, 12:09 am

Rocket Rush is the hardest. Animal Antics is easy compared to it.
Tourist

Postby DKCFan188 » February 8th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Tyrant twin tussle was pretty hard for me but I have got through it.:)
Trainee Trekker

Postby The Banana Bird » February 8th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Toxic Tower was seriously challenging.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Next

Return to General DKC Discussion