Sprite editing/animating suggestions

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Sprite editing/animating suggestions

Postby Phyreburnz » January 23rd, 2012, 2:54 am

I would prefer these to be level-builder related, but it isn't limited to that. I'm taking requests for things like new enemies and if there is anything I missed to make all of the Kongs compatible between all three games. Right now, though, I'm going to stay away from making the missing team-ups, as it is too difficult because the individual Kongs during the team-up cannot be ripped.

I probably won't be making every single request, so please don't be upset if I don't get to some. This is also something I'll be doing in my free-time, which is pretty much the weekend.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Re: Sprite editing/animating suggestions

Postby The Banana Bird » January 26th, 2012, 12:50 pm

How about a knocka or klobber that can freeze your kong and a klobber variant of Kuchaka. Oh, this will be tough for sure. A DKC variant of klobber and knocka. Maybe some sort of kritter used or krusha.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 29th, 2012, 4:07 am

I started working on a DKC version of Klobber and Knocka. I'm thinking of putting Roc Kroc in a barrel, rather than Kritter, since you don't really kill Klobber and Knocka by jumping on them.

I think I have an idea for making a Klobber that freezes you. I think I'll have him shoot out that blue gas (like from K. Rool Duel) out of his mouth when you walk too close (although I might do some searching and see if I can find sprites that would work better... or make ones). I might make the barrel a blue colour.
That also gave me an idea for freezing and thawing barrels. When you throw a blue barrel at something, it freezes whatever it touches, like an enemy or water. A thawing barrel could be used to melt bananas or lives out of ice or something.... maybe even melt out secret passage ways.

Sorry if I don't get things done as quickly as I usually do... lots of stress right now, as most of you already know.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby aperson98 » February 2nd, 2012, 6:08 am

I've got challenge for editing if your up to it Phyreburnz, why not try to make some Smash bros and DK64 edits for Diddy.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby Super Luigi! » February 2nd, 2012, 2:26 pm

How about this for an idea: Dixie throwing a banana and DKC1 K. Rool eating it with that goofy face he makes when you jump on him. Then make him jiggle.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » February 5th, 2012, 3:35 am

aperson98 wrote:why not try to make some Smash bros and DK64 edits for Diddy.

I will definitely try this! The problem, though, is that I'm too retro for a Wii :ugeek: I don't have Brawl, so all I have are crappy youtube videos to go off of. I will be able to do some DK64 moves, though!

Super Luigi, I might take up your suggestion later. Right now, I am more into editing and animating, rather than just animating already made sprites.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » February 5th, 2012, 2:24 pm

So you're focusing on animating edited/new sprites instead of original ones from the games? If so, then I'll think of some different ideas.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » February 6th, 2012, 7:57 am

Okay, so the barrel Kremlings shooting out that gas are almost complete. If you haven't seen them, they are in the DKC-related animations thread. I have the freezing and burning Kremlings complete.

I'd like to use another element barrel, either one Simion already made, or a new one. I'd like to use that purple gas. I don't have any idea on what the element should be... maybe a purple water drop? Any suggestions?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » February 6th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Maybe have that Shadow Barrel with an African-Kremean Kremling in it (you know, the one that takes lives), and when he bumps into you, he'll take your Kong partner, run off, and you must defeat him to get your buddy back. Or, try a white Klobber in that Photon Barrel, and when he bumps into you, have the screen flash white for 2 seconds or so.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby DKCFan188 » February 7th, 2012, 3:37 am

I would like a request but I'm not sure who I want lol, maybe King K' Rool because I don't see a lot of animations of him around.:3
Trainee Trekker

Postby mentholcase » February 7th, 2012, 6:18 am

lol African-Kremean Kremling... his name is Kaboom. :P
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 6

Postby Phyreburnz » February 7th, 2012, 9:59 am

I'm not sure if I would be able to put a moving Klobber in one of those element barrels. The barrel's angle changes as Klobber runs. It's was relatively easy to put a Klobber in an element barrel, as long as it remained stationary.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » February 7th, 2012, 10:16 am

So what your saying is that they cannot move?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » February 7th, 2012, 10:18 am

Basically, yes.

I maybe could make them able to move in the element barrels, but that would take a LOT of editing. I don't know if I can transform the perspective in Photoshop without blurring the image.

Photoshop is a wonderful tool, but it wasn't made to edit sprites, where the borders are very specific and every pixel counts. It was made for much larger images where a little bit of blurring wouldn't hurt.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » February 7th, 2012, 10:58 am

If it takes to much editing, then I don't want to overwork you. I had a list of what we could of done for the element barrels and klobbers :lol:. Would have tooken maybe 6 months based on how hard it sounds.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Super Luigi! » February 7th, 2012, 2:15 pm

mentholcase wrote:lol African-Kremean Kremling... his name is Kaboom. :P

Hey, I could of said "the black guy who takes lives," but that would offend some people. Phyreburnz, moving or not, those Klobbers would be nice to see. As my package of gum says, it's ^2U.
Spoiler!
Up to you.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » February 7th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Klobber, Kaboom, .... Knight Over? :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby mentholcase » February 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Oh wait, takes lives or ends your life? Cause the one that forces balloons out is the black Klobber, and the red one that explodes and kills you on contact is Kaboom.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Simion, you too much. :P
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 6

Postby Phyreburnz » February 8th, 2012, 8:46 am

I think I shouldn't do any more variants of Klobber. I think six versions are enough (three regular ones and the three I made)!

I am thinking about making animations of Diddy holding a heavy Kong. I will take a crack at it since Tonberry updated the sprite sheets. Aperson98 suggested using Dixie's heavy Kong hold. I think I'll try this. I believe I know a way to do this and I don't think it will be that hard.

I would also like to try to make versions of DK holding another Kong.

Should I make versions of Kiddy and DK holding a heavier Kong?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby mentholcase » February 8th, 2012, 9:53 am

"Should I make versions of Kiddy ... holding a heavier Kong?"

Yes

Should I make versions of ... DK holding a heavier Kong?

There is a heavier Kong ? :o

Oh wait, you mean Diddy? Then, yes, why yes you should.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 6

Postby Phyreburnz » February 8th, 2012, 1:17 pm

mentholcase wrote:There is a heavier Kong ?

What I meant by "heavier Kong" was Kiddy. I guess I should have clarified :P
I don't know if I should make different animations of the two heavier Kongs holding one another, rather than just one. What I mean by that is, does Kiddy's animation for holding Dixie work for him holding DK?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 8th, 2012, 1:31 pm

I think it would be fine for Kiddy and DK to have just the one carrying animation. They ARE the strong ones, after all.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby mentholcase » February 8th, 2012, 2:24 pm

^^ This. They are similar enough in weight that one carrying animation should be fine. Just as Diddy and Dixie carry each other without a "carrying a heavy Kong" animation, same should be fine as with DK and Kiddy. But if you really really wanted to, you could for Kiddy, as DK should be a bit heavier, maybe have him have a "slight" struggle? But then again, that "slightness" might make it not worth it to give him two animations.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 6

Postby Phyreburnz » February 12th, 2012, 8:42 am

Yeah, you guys are right. I know Doug Kong already did animations of DK teamed up, but I would still like to try. I just don't want anyone to get mad or anything if I try my own, ya know?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » March 4th, 2012, 11:49 am

You guys remember that DKC1 version of Klobber? I need a name for him. Any suggestions?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » March 4th, 2012, 3:59 pm

How about Krittang? Or maybe Kritterblogen? Kritterbenwesterchermaninabarrel?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » March 6th, 2012, 8:35 am

I'm seriously having trouble with finding a name for him. I can't come up with one that would be similar to Klobber and Knocka.

Anyways... I'm thinking about making animations that would allow Winky to tread water. I was also going to see if I could maybe improve on aperson98's Rambi treading water.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 7th, 2012, 7:01 am

Both of those sound great!
As for a name, how about Kask? A take-off of cask.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 18th, 2012, 3:29 am

I would like to animate Expresso doing something cool so she (yeah, I know it's technically male, but I've always thought it was female... so I still refer to it as a "she") can have a super move like Rambi charging or Rattly jumping high. The only thing is, I don't know what said super move should be, so give me suggestions! The one I like the best will be animated! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 18th, 2012, 7:15 am

Hmm, I think Expresso was removed because Dixie could do what he did and Squawks became fully aerial. Expresso's new niche could be some kind of attack. Squawks for the egg projectile too. Hmm...
I'd balance him by making him immune to icy floors so his traction doesn't suffer and having some kind of attack or dash? Tricky. I'm trying to think of Kazooie for inspiration. ;)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby HellFire » March 18th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Hmm ideas for the expresso special... This one gonna be hard. I think he's already very good with his speed and ability to avoid low kritters. But some new stuff would be welcome. Maybe some sort of dash is the way to go? It would be a good concept, an animal that has no attack at all but excels at something related to mobility. I would add the the immunity to icy floors that tonberry suggested.

Well i do have an idea, an strange one, but maybe its a good one? Ill just drop it here:

Spoiler!
By pressing A or down Expresso hides his head into the ground and his body becomes completely invulnerable to everything during a set maximum of time, just like the coon suit in mario bros 3. So, if you morphed into him you will be completely invulnerable, if you got him from a crate, you would be invulnerable to low and mid "attacks" only, because the kongs would still be vulnerable (or not, thats just my idea).
That is a good concept in my opinion, he would be the only animal who can not attack at all (excluding DKC squawks but he cant be killed anyway) but he would be the only one who could be invulnerable.
I know, its a silly idea that does not make much sense... but since when DKC tried to simulate reality? Monkeys being able to breathe underwater infinitely, riding other wild animals, being shot from "cannon barrels" (wtf is that?)... Also, it will look funny.
Tourist

Postby Phyreburnz » March 18th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Being impervious to slippy floors is a good idea, but it's not really something I can animate, as it would just be the regular walking, right?

The head in ground thing might not be bad. I had actually thought of that, because I knew ostriches did that... but I just thought of something more, maybe. What if Expresso stuck her head in the ground and could pull out buried bananas or coins?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 18th, 2012, 5:21 pm

That'd be good. Like Rush in Megaman 7. It could be a good alternative to DK's slap that uncovers items, but it can find better things potentially.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 19th, 2012, 6:04 am

Okay, so we have Expresso's "dig" super move... I'm still wondering if there's anything else I could do.

Make sure you guys keep me busy with suggestions! :D I still look through sprite sheets on TSR to think of what I could do to make a different version of an enemy or a new buddy attack. I think I've pretty much gotten all of the basic Kong moves covered. I think they're all compatible.

Recently, I did "edit" Kiddy's hanging on rope idle to make him fit the hook... basically, I just added like three pixels to each frame to make his hand fit the hook.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 27th, 2012, 3:36 am

Some editing I've been messing with. The Expresso barrel looks pretty decent and the Winky sign icon looks ok. I'm trying to get the Winky icon to look good, but it's not working out. I just think he'd look good in an overhead view like Squitter. Anyone wanna help?

EDIT: Did a little more on the Expresso sign.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby HellFire » March 27th, 2012, 1:49 pm

No offense but I think this one is a lot better:
Spoiler!

The DKC style of the winky's sign looks really bad, that guy created a new one for it which in my opinion looks near perfect. Only the winky's painting on the sign should be black and not dark brown (to match the other signs) and the expresso crate could have some more work or be remade to look like his sign but I think its acceptable like that. I agree that an overhead view for the winky icon would look good, but it will be hard to make it look "official"... good luck though. Also, do you hate ellie or you just don't care about her that you ended up forgetting to put her with the other buddies? :lol:
Tourist

Postby Mattrizzle » March 27th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Well, here are DKC2/3-styled Winky and Expresso crates, along with updated versions of the DKC1 barrels, and some base sprites that may come in handy:
Barrels, Crates, and a Sign.png
Barrels, Crates, and a Sign.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 62566 times

A few things to keep in mind: Prerendered sprites are never uniform. Because they are based on a 3D model with a limitless amount of colors, trimming the color depth down to 16 nearly always results in shading that isn't perfectly smooth. Also, none of the prerendered sprites are ever symmetrical, even if the models they're based on are.

Going off of this information, I tweaked your sprite and wound up with this:
tonberry2k's_winky_icon-modified_by_mattrizzle.png
tonberry2k's_winky_icon-modified_by_mattrizzle.png (834 Bytes) Viewed 62566 times
I also modified the eyes because they didn't look enough like Winky's. It's still far from finished, though.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby The Banana Bird » April 11th, 2012, 12:11 pm

How about making a move were Rattly spits poison! It would slow down the enemy he spits it at making it very useful against rockcrocs and those type of enemies.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » April 15th, 2012, 4:05 am

I'm wondering if I should also make turning animations for the Kongs for riding Enguarde, Ellie, and Rambi. I know that DK has unused turning animations for Rambi. I think those are the only ones (other than Squawks, who is complete) that have turning animations.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks