DKC-Related Custom Animations

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC-related animations

Postby Phyreburnz » January 17th, 2012, 5:44 am

Here are the versions of Mechy that shoot bombs. Here are both colours. I'm thinking the regular Necky colour should be more for a DKC1 factory level, while the green should be more for a DKC3 level (probably more of a factory level).
bombing-mechy.gif
bombing-mechy.gif (6.18 KiB) Viewed 227341 times

bombing-green-mechy.gif
bombing-green-mechy.gif (6.03 KiB) Viewed 227341 times

I didn't add an explosion to the bombs, but I think that can be done without me animating it. If I'm wrong about this, Simion32, please let me know, and I'll add it.

And I'm still working on making a DKC3 version of Krash and Klank. I'm not sure when it'll be finished.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 17th, 2012, 6:31 am

Those look really well done. Were those bombs tooken from Kuchuka?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 17th, 2012, 7:06 am

Mmmmaaaaayyyyybbbbbbeeeeee.... :D

Spoiler!
Yeah, they're from Kuchuka.

So, any other enemy suggestions or anything? I'll definitely make the Barrels with DK and Kiddy's face on them.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 17th, 2012, 7:38 am

What is the difference between them besides color? How about green throws bombs a little more fast.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 17th, 2012, 11:11 am

I wasn't planning on making a difference... but maybe I should make on shoot fireballs and the other can shoot bombs? I'm not sure which should shoot which, though. O.o
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 17th, 2012, 12:49 pm

I think normal should throw bombs that blow up on impact and the green one throws fireballs that bounce off the screen.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Super Luigi! » January 17th, 2012, 3:23 pm

^Remember that.

How about a Neek that shoots lazers out of it's eyes and moves 3x as fast?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby The Banana Bird » January 18th, 2012, 11:40 am

La...lasers? That is pretty creative but he would probably have to look robotic. Anyways, whats the theme for the DKC4 fangame? We could theme him according to that. Should it be robots?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 19th, 2012, 8:15 am

I've finally finished the DKC3 version of Kart and Klank. His name is Klink.
klink-all-animations.gif
klink-all-animations.gif (17.21 KiB) Viewed 227256 times

I will make the barrels with Kiddy's and DK's face on them, but since they aren't animated, I'll just put them in the custom/edited sprite section.

I'm not too sure about Neek shooting lasers... Sorry... I might do that with another enemy, though.

The DKC3 Kremling sprites were ripped by Fabio. Also, If any of you are interested, I found a pretty cool program. I'm sure some of you already know about it and I'm sure some of you have used it. It's called Rotsprite. As its name suggests, it rotates the sprites for you without losing any of the hard edges. I have tried rotating sprites in Photoshop, but it always blurs pretty bad (unless doing a 90 degree turn). This fixed the problem completely. Also, the program is free. It's super easy to use. I do suggest using it in combination with Photoshop, though. There is no visual, so I rotated the sprites in Photoshop FIRST to know how many degrees I needed to rotate them in Rotsprite.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 21st, 2012, 8:11 am

Are there any other editing requests? I would much prefer to edit sprites, rather than just animate existing ones.

Also, I'm currently working on making sprites for DK and Diddy getting struck by lightning (like Lightning Lookout). I haven't played through my DKC3 rom the whole way... or I erased my previous data a while ago... so if anybody has the sprites of Dixie and Kiddy getting struck, please let me know. I'm almost positive that it's just one frame. If nobody has one, that's fine... I should play that rom through the whole way, anyway.

*EDIT* I took one of the unused sprites and made a new thing. I think it would make for a cool enemy!
kremling-jumping-from-plant.gif
kremling-jumping-from-plant.gif (11.32 KiB) Viewed 227221 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cody » January 21st, 2012, 8:56 am

I believe you're looking for this ;)

Also, if you have any other sprite requests, lemme know! Emunator and I are directing the DKC3 OC ReMix album project, and over a several month-long period, created 300x200 custom sprite banners for every track on the project.... so I'm pretty much a master at getting my respective resources, not to mention I've saved WIPs & scrapped ideas of literally every banner I worked on. In other words, I'm the go-to guy for anything DKC-sprite related! :)

Small examples of banners:
"Shenanigans Bananigans" (Jungle Jitters SNES)
^ mine

"Wonderfall" (Cascade Capers SNES)
^ Emunator's
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby VideoViking » January 21st, 2012, 10:25 am

How were you able to rip the DKC3 related sprites from above? Currently, there does not exist a master sprite sheet with unused material (with the exception of the TNT Knocka and others as listed on MarioWiki).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Cody » January 21st, 2012, 11:27 am

Oh, these were used, but only in one level. I don't use master sprite sheets but instead rip my own sprites and graphics.

I generally use an AR code to change the palette to Cavern Caprice, which makes the background a bluish-grey color (allowing sprites and graphics to be distinguished from the background and thus ripped easily). Fortunately, in the riverside level Lightning Lookout, I didn't have to worry about that: waiting for the lightning to strike once changes the hidden black background to that same bluish-grey color, allowing dark sprites like these to be ripped with no problems whatsoever :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Mattrizzle » January 21st, 2012, 2:59 pm

Cody wrote:Oh, these were used, but only in one level.
Actually, they're used in three levels, the other two being Kastle Kaos and Knautilus.

In Lightning Look-Out, the colors of all sprites are darkened. In Knautilus they all have a red tint. Kastle Kaos is the only place you can see the sprites with their proper palette, which I've ripped below.
Attachments
dkc3_zapped.png
dkc3_zapped.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 227185 times
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Cody » January 21st, 2012, 3:15 pm

True that, those two didn't even come to mind (and neither did the darkness/red tint issue)... :oops:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Phyreburnz » January 22nd, 2012, 6:42 am

Thanks guys for those sprites! Especially thanks to you, Mattrizzle! I didn't even realize that there were other levels with the skeleton things.

So... any more animation suggestions... anybody? I'm going to stay away from the teaming-up because I can't just rip the individual Kongs during the team-up move.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » January 22nd, 2012, 2:40 pm

Do the suggestions have to apply to the DKCRE and LB, or can we just beg you to animate something for us, like Cat O' 9 Tails on a rollercoaster cart?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » January 22nd, 2012, 4:00 pm

I'd prefer it be level-builder related, but it's not set in stone. Also, I'd probably consider cat o'9 tails on a cart LB related. That would be relatively easy, especially with the program rotsprite.
I would prefer more of a challenge, other than simply rotating sprites.
Maybe I should make an animation request thread?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » January 22nd, 2012, 4:55 pm

That would work, Phyre. In fact, mind if I send you a PM?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » January 22nd, 2012, 4:59 pm

Go ahead!
By the way, if anybody has requests, they can PM me, if they like. Or just post it on the forum. I'm not picky :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cody » January 22nd, 2012, 7:52 pm

I tried making a "Klump-playing-the-bongos (barrels)" animation but it turned out quite ugly :P
Attachments
Klump 2.gif
Klump 2.gif (11.92 KiB) Viewed 227120 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Phyreburnz » January 26th, 2012, 12:43 pm

I like that animation! :D It makes me smile!

You guys seriously need to make some suggestions in the suggestion thread! I am working on putting cat o'nine tails on a skull cart, but for some reason, I work better when I have several things I feel I need to do.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 5th, 2012, 8:39 am

I have finally finished making a DKC version of the barrel Kremling.

I have the animations of him walking and going in and out of the barrel.
rockkroc-in-barrel-walking.gif
rockkroc-in-barrel-walking.gif (7.47 KiB) Viewed 226983 times

barrel-rock-kroc-arising.gif
barrel-rock-kroc-arising.gif (6.21 KiB) Viewed 226983 times

Should I change his colour, too, since he's different?

*EDIT* Okay, I did change the colour. I made him a greenish colour. I'll upload the PSDs soon.
green-rockkroc-in-barrel-all-animations.gif
green-rockkroc-in-barrel-all-animations.gif (26.73 KiB) Viewed 226979 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » February 5th, 2012, 1:47 pm

THOSE ARE AMAZING! The green one with yellow eyes is the best. It was all done PERFECTLY!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Super Luigi! » February 5th, 2012, 2:22 pm

To be honest, they look like some dudes in my neighborhood. Especially the brown one. Great job Phyreburnz!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby mentholcase » February 5th, 2012, 2:41 pm

I just went through the whole thread and I must say I think everything is PERFECT except for maaaaayyybe the Dixie crawling animation, something is off, but other than that, everything in this thread looks sooooo... official.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 6

Postby Super Luigi! » February 5th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Phyreburnz knows his stuff, son. You want something to move, do it yourself. But if you want the best animation of custom sprites ever known to Kong, then you go to him, for only he knows The Ways of Sprite Animation!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » February 5th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:Phyreburnz knows his stuff, son.
I hate to interject with pointless babble, but Phyre is a girl... :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » February 5th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Simion32 wrote:Phyre is a girl...

My secret is out! :shock:

Okay... so it wasn't a secret! :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cody » February 5th, 2012, 7:39 pm

So... what's your number? ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby The Banana Bird » February 6th, 2012, 1:44 am

I never knew you were a girl! Anyways, are you working on the ice Klobber and Klobber version of Kuchuka? Just wondering since you recentley finished something.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » February 6th, 2012, 6:16 am

Wow... I kinda want to make a poll to see how many people thought I was a dude... :lol:

Well... here is the freezing barrel Kremling. The "ice breath" is just the gba version of that ice gas that Kaptain K. Rool shoots. I'm not too fond of it and I'd like to find something that would work better. I might just make some sprites, since I don't think I'll be able to find anything better.
freeze-barrel-krem.gif
freeze-barrel-krem.gif (22.23 KiB) Viewed 226912 times

I'll be doing the fire one. I will make two versions of a fire Krem. One will actually shoot fire, the other will shoot that red gas.

Please let me know if you have or know of something that will work better for the ice breath.

*EDIT* Oh my god... what was I thinking?! Why didn't I make the freezing barrel Kremling come out of the freeze element barrel Simion made?!

Well, I made it now! Meet KoolFreeze.
koolfreeze.gif
koolfreeze.gif (30.39 KiB) Viewed 226902 times

I'll be working on making the fire one. His name will be FireKracker.

*EDIT* Here is FireKracker!
firekracker.gif
firekracker.gif (28.73 KiB) Viewed 226899 times

I'm thinking of a purple one, but I'm not sure what the element should be.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » February 6th, 2012, 8:12 am

How about a purple barrel with an arrow pointing te other way. It can be used for him and also when you throw it at enemies, it reverses them.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » February 6th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Okay, I think I did something stupid. I'm going to redo FireKracker and KoolFreeze. I used the element barrels Simion made... but I forgot to flip them horizontally. The shadow on the barrels is on the wrong side and does not match up with the shadow on the Kremling (or the original barrel). When I finish them, I'll re upload the PSDs, as well.

Also, I think I have a name for the Kremling that shoots purple gas: Bakwards. I wish I could come up with two words to put together (and one with a "c" that I can change to a "k"), but I can't think of one that will work. I made a circular arrow to put on his barrel.

I know the whole shadow thing might sound weird, but I really feel like I need to fix it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » February 6th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Well, what did you want me to say, that Phyreburnz knows its stuff? Anyway, your sprite animations are looking official and clean. What else can I say, but excellent work on those Klobbers!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » February 6th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Okay, I've fixed them. Here is KoolFreeze, FireKracker, and Bakwards.
koolfreeze-fixed.gif
koolfreeze-fixed.gif (30.89 KiB) Viewed 226866 times

firekracker-fixed.gif
firekracker-fixed.gif (30.42 KiB) Viewed 226866 times

bakwards-fixed.gif
bakwards-fixed.gif (31.5 KiB) Viewed 226866 times

Cody wrote:So... what's your number? ;)

I don't think I want to risk getting texts like the weird ones you've been getting! :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » February 6th, 2012, 3:37 pm

This is what I think happened to them: While Kap'n K. Rool was gathering his chemicals, these 3 guys started inhaling them. Then, their skin changed color and they noticed that they could breath the effects of the gases. Then they went off to go get some monkey.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 6th, 2012, 6:15 pm

My question is, why do they have to stand at all? Their heads can just pop up and spit the gas.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 7th, 2012, 1:43 am

Tonberry, You know, I didn't even think of that...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby mentholcase » February 7th, 2012, 2:24 am

This is just my opinion, but what if instead of breathing gas, they chase you and explode on contact like Kaboom, but instead of a fire, their explosion is of their respective gasses? Makes sense since they are variants of Klobber, and perhaps there could be Koolfreeze, Firekracker, & Bakwards variants of Kuchuka, if you wanted stationary versions.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 6

Postby Phyreburnz » February 7th, 2012, 7:51 am

mentholcase wrote:what if instead of breathing gas, they chase you and explode on contact like Kaboom, but instead of a fire, their explosion is of their respective gasses?...they are variants of Klobber, and perhaps there could be Koolfreeze, Firekracker, & Bakwards variants of Kuchuka, if you wanted stationary versions.

The whole point was to make a different kind of enemy, rather than just another version of Klobber. It wouldn't work with Kuchuka, because there is no head, and throwing gas doesn't make sense.

I am planning on redoing them (again... for the third time :roll:) and I will remove the feet to make the barrel stationary, as Tonberry suggested. I don't know why I didn't remove his ability to stand in the first place.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby DKCFan188 » February 7th, 2012, 3:04 pm

I really do love those animations! they look great! now i would like to know how to make some.:)
Trainee Trekker

Postby Phyreburnz » February 7th, 2012, 4:00 pm

DKCFan188, you can try to animate stuff if you want! There's a free program, paint.net, that, I believe, is very similar to photoshop. I suggest trying it out! I'm sure you can find tutorials and videos. Just make sure you don't try anything too complicated when you first start; you might get discouraged. It's definitely important to learn how to use the program first; it can be complicated at times.

I don't know how well versed you are with photoshop, if you're not or you don't have it, I definitely would suggest trying out paint.net.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 8th, 2012, 8:39 am

Okay... so I think I'm done with these guys, FINALLY! :lol:
I've removed their feet and fixed a few other minor things.
So, here they are (again)!
koolfreeze-fixed.gif
koolfreeze-fixed.gif (29.81 KiB) Viewed 226797 times

firekracker-fixed.gif
firekracker-fixed.gif (28.88 KiB) Viewed 226797 times

bakwards-fixed.gif
bakwards-fixed.gif (30.35 KiB) Viewed 226797 times

I'll upload them again in the DKLB sprite/animation submission... I'll also delete the old ones... Sorry for all the re uploading and such!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 9th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Okay, I think you're gonna like this one! :D

I made Diddy holding a heavy Kong!
diddy-with-heavy-kong.gif
diddy-with-heavy-kong.gif (4.67 KiB) Viewed 226771 times

I pretty much took Diddy's crawling animation, deleted his arms and took an arm from his holding a barrel animation and put it over. I think it looks pretty good, don't you?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby DKCFan188 » February 9th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:Okay, I think you're gonna like this one! :D

I made Diddy holding a heavy Kong!
diddy-with-heavy-kong.gif

I pretty much took Diddy's crawling animation, deleted his arms and took an arm from his holding a barrel animation and put it over. I think it looks pretty good, don't you?

that one looks awesome! great job! :) i don't think all this animating is all that easy either.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 9th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Completely stunned by this. What an amazing job!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 10th, 2012, 2:08 am

Thanks guys! I'm going to be working on completing the animations for Diddy holding a heavy Kong (which would be when they first team up, when he throws the heavy Kong, and when he jumps). Then I'm going to see what I can do with DK. I would also like to redo some of my older animations. I have a few things I think I can do to improve them. I'd like to redo a few of Dixie and kiddy animations, like swinging on a rope, and Dixie's crawling.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks