DKC-Related Custom Animations

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC-related animations

Postby Phyreburnz » January 5th, 2012, 10:47 am

I will get to putting an eye patch on each shark.

I actually think I'd like to use the names Bitey and Bitey Snr. as the names for the sharks.

*EDIT*

I put eye patches on them both. I don't like it on Bitey Snr, but I think it looks good on Bitey.
bitey-with-eyepatch.gif
bitey-with-eyepatch.gif (10.96 KiB) Viewed 232880 times

bitey-snr-with-eyepatch.gif
bitey-snr-with-eyepatch.gif (9.32 KiB) Viewed 232880 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 5th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Good name, I guess it's better that way then. The eye patch on bitey is pretty cool. He should be like that in game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 5th, 2012, 2:22 pm

I know it sucks, but I tried to make Kiddy going from one rope to two. I don't think I can make it look any better. If anybody wants the PSD, ask and I'll put it with the others.
kiddy-one-rope-to-two.gif
kiddy-one-rope-to-two.gif (14.54 KiB) Viewed 232863 times

I did try to make the DK and Diddy throwing look better to no avail. I'm not sure if I should try again or just upload the PSD for that, as well. For once, the clone tool has failed me! :cry:

If anybody has any other suggestions, let me know!

*EDIT* I know how to make Diddy's and DK's animations better for them throwing snowballs!!! I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I'm going to recolour the dance animations of them spinning! I know for sure it will work with Diddy. I just have to rip sprites DK dancing! I know this will work! :mrgreen:

*EDIT SOME MORE* Here's the NEW animation of Diddy throwing a snowball! I hope you like it! I think it looks much better than my last one! Now all I have to do is rip DK's dancing sprites and recolour them! :D
diddy-throwing-snowball.gif
diddy-throwing-snowball.gif (23.14 KiB) Viewed 232851 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby doug kong » January 5th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Our congratulations to diddy perfect ta ... (only need minor adjustments)

already the kiddy kong I think I have an idea to improve it ...
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby aperson98 » January 5th, 2012, 5:05 pm

How did you make the new Diddy throwing a snowball animation? The sprites look awesome and look like they would be very useful.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby FalsePower » January 5th, 2012, 5:33 pm

That Diddy throwing a snowball animation looks so much more natural now.

Since you asked for it I'll give you a few more ideas. I'll keep them simple for now.
1. Since you've created a custom enemy, how about a new version of the seal from DKC2 that freezes the water. This one could be a shade of brown rather than blue. Its purpose is to blow fire on frozen bodies of water enabling you to swim until it refreezes.
2. Animations of Kiddy and DK riding the skull roller coaster would be cool. Diddy raises his arms so maybe Kiddy could too or something.

That should keep you busy for a while. :lol:
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 6th, 2012, 2:22 am

aperson98 wrote:How did you make the new Diddy throwing a snowball animation? The sprites look awesome and look like they would be very useful.

I took the GBA sprites of Diddy at Candy's dance studio and recoloured them. They were just the right size, too! I'm going to do the same with DK; I just have to rip the sprites.

*EDIT* the GBA sprites of Diddy were ripped by Fario.

FalsPower, I like the idea of the reverse Clapper, but what if he unfreezes the water and you don't make it out in time? Should the water stay melted until you get out, or should a Kong die and the water unfreezes longer? (Also, I think a good name would be Reppalc. "Clapper" backwards)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 6th, 2012, 4:14 am

Phyreburnz wrote:FalsPower, I like the idea of the reverse Clapper, but what if he unfreezes the water and you don't make it out in time? Should the water stay melted until you get out, or should a Kong die and the water unfreezes longer? (Also, I think a good name would be Reppalc. "Clapper" backwards)

I was thinking the Kong should die and the water unfreezes for a little bit. The name Reppalc works. I don't have any other suggestions so let's go with that.
At this rate we'll have hundreds of new sprites and characters that don't exist yet before DKCLB is even close to being finished.

EDIT: If you have trouble finding fire to use for Reppalc I suggest taking a look at Kaos's sprites.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 6th, 2012, 5:09 am

I'm glad you suggested Kaos for the fire sprites, because the sheet I found of Clapper didn't have the little icy bubble things. Here is Reppalc spitting fire!
reppalc.gif
reppalc.gif (4.92 KiB) Viewed 232813 times

I think I would have preferred to change the icy bubbles to fire colours, but whateves.

*EDIT* Here are the animations of Kiddy and DK going down a hill on the skull cart. Now, I just have to do them going downhill and ducking.
kiddy-down-hill-skull-cart.gif
kiddy-down-hill-skull-cart.gif (31.22 KiB) Viewed 232808 times

dk-down-hill-on-skull-cart.gif
dk-down-hill-on-skull-cart.gif (14.71 KiB) Viewed 232808 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 6th, 2012, 6:59 am

Dixie and Kiddy in a minecart! BAM
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 6th, 2012, 7:24 am

I'm not sure on this, but I think that the animations of them in the toboggan thingy would work for them in a mine cart.

Just a bit of an update, I'm almost done with all of the animations for DK on a skull cart. I just have to make the animation for him going upward. The next animation of him will contain all of the new elements I've added.

I have a feeling that I'll post it in an edit, rather than a new post. I do that frequently during the day, because I'm on break from school and I have time to photoshop like all day. :D So if it's been a few hours since I've posted, check back on the thread to see if I've edited a post and added an animation.

*EDIT* DK all skull cart animations complete!
dk-all-animations-on-skull-cart.gif
dk-all-animations-on-skull-cart.gif (42.48 KiB) Viewed 232794 times

*EDIT SOME MORE* I'm almost done with the Kiddy on the skull cart. I don't feel like finishing it now, though... I really don't like to edit Kiddy's sprites very much. I need a break from it. Any other suggestions?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 7th, 2012, 6:12 am

Here is Kiddy ducking on the skull cart. I still have to finish him going up a hill. I'm just a bit sick of animating him right now. I'm taking a little break from that. It might also be a little while before I get to create a better DK throwing a snowball. I have to play my rom to the point where Candy introduces spinning... then I have to rip, recolour, and animate the sprites. That might take a while, too.

Until that time, does anybody have any suggestions for other sprites? Are there any more missing ones? I'd also like to do more of making new enemies (like Bitey and Bitey Snr.).

Once all of the Kiddy animations are finished, I'll upload them all in one animation.

kiddy-ducking-on-skull-cart.gif
kiddy-ducking-on-skull-cart.gif (10.97 KiB) Viewed 232754 times

It looks a bit jumpy, but I took the exact sprites of him ducking, and as I've already said, I'm a bit sick of animating Kiddy... So too bad! :P

*EDIT* I took the unused animation of the opening barrel and put a Kritter inside! I probably should have made him jump in the other direction, but I wanted him to jump through the hoop!
kremling-jump-from-barrel.gif
kremling-jump-from-barrel.gif (13.47 KiB) Viewed 232743 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 8th, 2012, 3:59 am

Here is the completed animation for Kiddy on the skull cart.
kiddy-on-skull-cart-all-animations.gif
kiddy-on-skull-cart-all-animations.gif (61.91 KiB) Viewed 232728 times

Any other suggestions?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 8th, 2012, 8:39 am

A Kritter inside of the barrel is one hell of an idea. I can see rows of regular barrels and then BAM! he suddenly pops out.
Also, great job with Kiddy and DK on the skull cart.

I guess you're ready for more ideas.
Since you're welcome to the idea of custom enemies how about the infamous Mr. X? He would make for a great custom boss.
That was the easy one. These next two are a little more vague.
In DKC when a new level is beaten DK and Diddy do a little dance before moving on a new a world. Would it be possible to have Dixie and Kiddy do that?
Lastly (for now), DKC has vultures and birds that attack you. DKC2 does as well but they're pirate themed. DKC3 could use industrial-frankenstien themed birds.

If something isn't feasible it won't hurt my feelings. Image
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby The Banana Bird » January 8th, 2012, 11:27 am

Dimmer, a Black Gleamin Bream with red eyes. He makes the ocean darker. How bout that for an animation idea?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 8th, 2012, 11:35 am

I'm loving the ideas! :D
I might be able to make a sprite for Mr. X. I'm not sure about animating him, though. We'll see once I make the sprite.

I finally got to ripping (and recolouring) those DK sprites I needed. Here is the NEW and IMPROVED Donkey Kong throwing a snowball! (The only sprite I didn't rip or anything was the cave, which is from Fario.)
dk-throwing-snowball.gif
dk-throwing-snowball.gif (26.24 KiB) Viewed 232701 times

Spoiler!
Just a bit of my own special thing, I guess... for those of you that have noticed, I've been making DK left-handed! like me! :P

The mini victory dances weren't that difficult. I just took the big ones from winning Swanky's bonus and made them super tiny!
mini-kiddy-win.gif
mini-kiddy-win.gif (1.75 KiB) Viewed 232695 times

mini-dixie-win.gif
mini-dixie-win.gif (2.06 KiB) Viewed 232695 times

I still have to fix Dixie's jumpy hair, though... I don't know why it's like that. I've looked back and forth at the frames to see what's wrong and I don't know what it is... I'll have to do some experiments. :geek:

*EDIT* I found out why her hair is jumpy. It is of no fault of my own! The animation is like that even without the added hair. So with that said, I'm going to upload my latest psds and forget about it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 9th, 2012, 2:07 pm

I took the suggestion from Cosmicman and made DK bob his head as he plays bass.

I still have to sync his bass playing with the track he made. I also will make him look to the side when he begins and/or ends.
dk-with-bass-with-head-bob.gif
dk-with-bass-with-head-bob.gif (9.04 KiB) Viewed 232665 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 10th, 2012, 9:24 am

Yeah guys, I cannot animate so I have to ask you guys. You know how in bonus levels of DKC that involve the barrel with a balloon and you have to guess were the balloon last appeared? How Diddy and Dk look up at the begininng of the bonus when the balloon is changing spots would be something we can use for Kiddy and Dixie.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 10th, 2012, 10:03 am

I'm glad you asked about that, Banana Bird! I completely forgot about that! I'll work on that immediately, as it would be more important for making all of the Kongs playable in all of the games!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 10th, 2012, 11:35 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I'm glad you asked about that, Banana Bird! I completely forgot about that! I'll work on that immediately, as it would be more important for making all of the Kongs playable in all of the games!

Alright, sounds good. Cannot wait to see it. After that, I think it's just about done for all 4 kongs. I will be right back in 10 minutes to check the animations to see if there are any missing ones.

EDIT: We need minecart riding Dixie and Kiddy sprites, sprites of DK and Kiddy effected by Kaptain K. Rools red smoke, blue and purple. Also, we need losing bonus animations for Kiddy and Dixie. I don't mean to sound like im ordering people around, but I am just listing ideas for everyone to make an animation for. If we cannot do an animation for the smoke effects, I can just do a recolor on custom edited sprites, anyone up to making an animation for those? For Dixie losing a bonus, I would suggest using the mourning sprite without walking.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Cosmicman » January 10th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I thought Kiddy's snowmovile animation could be used for any other cart? Same goes for DK riding the mine cart, his half body inside the cart animation might look better and safer than just hanging on top of it.

Anyways there's another set of missing animations, sorry it was mentioned before.
There are missing animations for when you swap kongs.

Kiddy to Diddy
Diddy to Kiddy
DK to Kiddy
Kiddy to DK
DK to Dixie
Dixie to DK
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Phyreburnz » January 10th, 2012, 12:38 pm

I don't think that we need to make the sprites of kiddy and DK affected by Kaptain K. Rool. I think that with the DKLB recolouring is easier and the only thing that changes is a pallet swap. I think that the animations of Dixie and Kiddy would work for them riding the mine carts.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cosmicman » January 10th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Affected by K.Rool? I mean when you hit select on the Snes controller and swap from one kong to another.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Phyreburnz » January 10th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Sorry, I was referring to what Banana Bird said!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 10th, 2012, 12:53 pm

I guess those are both true. That would be fine. We just need the rest then, also what Cosmicman said. Those would be needed for a fangame were you can play as all 4 kongs.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 10th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Okay. I'm glad you guys are coming up with stuff. I'm not sure when they will get done. I'm back in school now, and will work on animating in my spare time.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cosmicman » January 10th, 2012, 1:05 pm

I just noticed there is a few kong swaps that won't need animations, for example Dkc2 Diddy swap was kicking Dixie, so he can kick Kiddy too, all those sprites should be in game already, so maybe you can scratch that one off.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby The Banana Bird » January 10th, 2012, 1:18 pm

That seems fine. How about Dixie and Dk? Should she blow a bubble and when it pops he jumps back, is that fine?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 10th, 2012, 1:24 pm

DK has a kicking animation at the end of the game where he and Diddy go back and forth fighting. That could work with DK and Kiddy.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 11th, 2012, 7:40 am

That seems to be perfect for it. It looks like how Diddy and Dixie switch too. I think that solves that one.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 11th, 2012, 8:08 am

Okay... so here is what we have that I DO NOT need to make: DK can kick Dixie and Kiddy and Diddy can kick Kiddy. So What we DO need is going from Kiddy to DK and Dixie to DK, right?

I made an animation of Dixie looking up like a DKC1 find the balloon game.
dixie-look-up-bonus-room.gif
dixie-look-up-bonus-room.gif (5.85 KiB) Viewed 232567 times

I think I have an idea on how to make Kiddy in that situation. I'll probably do that tomorrow.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 11th, 2012, 8:10 am

That looks good, what do you have in mind for Kiddy?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 11th, 2012, 8:43 am

I think I'm just going to use the sprites of him picking up Dixie. I can make him point up... but maybe I should have him point straight to the screen, like DK.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 11th, 2012, 8:56 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I think I'm just going to use the sprites of him picking up Dixie. I can make him point up... but maybe I should have him point straight to the screen, like DK.

That seems like it would come out pretty good. Is that really what DK does, I only have the GBA versin and on that he just looks up I think.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 12th, 2012, 3:22 am

Here is Kiddy pointing up.
kiddy-point-up.gif
kiddy-point-up.gif (25.45 KiB) Viewed 232537 times

Yeah, DK points at the viewer during the game and he looks up.

Okay, so I still need to make these animations for both Diddy and DK (they are all for battling Bleak or Swanky's bonus in the third game): Idling, walking to the side, and dying. I'll do those first and then get to the animations of Dixie and Kiddy losing a bonus, and then switching between the Kongs.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » January 12th, 2012, 4:59 am

Phyre, you could try this:

Use Dixie's banana whip attack to smack DK from behind. DK flips back in cannonball fashion, and Dixie resumes control.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » January 12th, 2012, 5:03 am

If all of the graphics are in the game, I don't think I'd have to animate it to be used in the game, unless, of course, you just wanted the animation just because.

And what do you mean by "banana whip?" Do you mean the animation of her throwing a barrel or her using the twist attack?

*EDIT* Here is Diddy getting hit in a battle with Bleak:
diddy-hit.gif
diddy-hit.gif (5.5 KiB) Viewed 232525 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » January 12th, 2012, 8:12 am

Banana Whip: Dixie's "roll attack." It's the one where she spins with her hair out in a helicopter-like fashion. I like giving names for attacks like these.

I just want to see what it looks like.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby The Banana Bird » January 12th, 2012, 8:32 am

That sounds good, but I would suggest using the throwing barrel animation where she whips her hair foward.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 13th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Okay, so I've changed my mind a bit. I think the only missing sprites that would have to be edited would he the rest of the big DK and Diddy moves during a battle with Bleak. I watched the Donkey Kong Country 4 video of the switching, and it looks like all of the graphics are already in-game.Yay, less work for me! :P
So, once I'm done with that, I'll move on to those other requests.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » January 13th, 2012, 3:12 pm

You're forgetting LB, Phyre - we may not be using the same swap animations there. :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » January 14th, 2012, 1:22 am

Simion, don't you think that in-game animations would already work? Like DK kicking (how he kicks Diddy before the end credits). I thought what leo_core and hyperkalango (sorry if I misspelled names) did for the swaps worked really well. They used in-game animations and it looks pretty fluid.
If you'd like me to create others, that's cool. I just thought what they did would also work for the level builder.
If you do want me to make others, can you list what you'd like to see done?

*EDIT* I just see it as silly for me to animate something special when we can already use things in the game.
I'm also thinking the unused animation of Dixie crying would work for her losing a DKC1 style bonus. I also think the regular Kiddy dying (tantrum) animation would work for the same situation.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 14th, 2012, 7:09 am

^I agree with Phyreburnz on this.
Maybe some diversity would be nice but I really don't see the point.

So are you up for any more requests at the moment or do you want to focus on the Bleak animations?
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 14th, 2012, 7:18 am

If you have any suggestions, you can post them whenever. If there is something you really want me to do, just put a note beside it or something.

I am a bit swamped at the moment with school stuff, but go ahead and list all the ideas you have, then when I get the chance to do stuff, I can pick what I want the most :) (I'll get to what others really want. first.)

And I still haven't gotten to try your other suggestions. I kinda started on a mecha-necky... but that hasn't really gone anywhere, yet. I have an idea on what I'd like to do, though!

*EDIT* I forgot to upload the animated gifs of big Diddy. Here he is idling and moving. I think that does it for big Diddy. Next project: big DK.
diddy-idle-big.gif
diddy-idle-big.gif (1.55 KiB) Viewed 232428 times

diddy-walking-big.gif
diddy-walking-big.gif (3.84 KiB) Viewed 232428 times

I know the walking isn't the best looking thing in the world, but I think it will work. There aren't too many sprites of Diddy's back facing the viewer... so I just took what I could.

*EDIT some more* Here are the animations of big DK.
dk-big-idle.gif
dk-big-idle.gif (1.37 KiB) Viewed 232421 times

dk-big-hit.gif
dk-big-hit.gif (6.32 KiB) Viewed 232421 times

dk-walking-big.gif
dk-walking-big.gif (4.36 KiB) Viewed 232421 times

Again, I know the walking isn't the best, but I tried. All the Diddy sprites were originally ripped by Fario and edited and recoloured by me. The DK sprites were ripped, recoloured, and edited by me.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 15th, 2012, 3:27 am

I had the idea to give Winky a tongue attack. I was thinking that the tongue could kill bad guys and eat bugs (I'm not sure, but I'm thinking the only bug would be Flitter, right?). He maybe could eat other flying enemies, like the birds... but maybe that's too bold? Well, here he is. I should make the tongue longer. I probably should make another version with the tongue going straight in front of him, that way he can attack regular enemies.

I have another idea for a bad guy. In DKC 1 and 2, there is an enemy riding the carts, but not in the third. I'm going to put a version of Kobble in the toboggan. I was thinking "Kart" would be a good name... I can't think of another onomatopoeia that starts with "C" that could be changed to a "K" (like Krash and Klank).

*EDIT* I've made both a forward and diagonal attack.
winky-tongue-attack.gif
winky-tongue-attack.gif (12.42 KiB) Viewed 232396 times

Should I make his tongue longer?

*EDIT SOME MORE* I made a mechanical Necky. I'm not sure whether to call him Mecha Necky or Mechy.
mecha-necky.gif
mecha-necky.gif (7.01 KiB) Viewed 232387 times

I think instead of "Kart," I might decide to call the DKC3 Kremling "Klink."

*EDIT EVEN MORE* Here is an alternative Mecha Necky/Mechy. I made it green so it looks more... well... experimented upon.
green-mecha-necky.gif
green-mecha-necky.gif (6.5 KiB) Viewed 232380 times

So, those are all the suggestions, I think. I'm not going to do a Mr. X. Cosmicman is making a 3d model of him.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » January 15th, 2012, 8:03 am

Congratulations Phyreburnz, you've just turned Winky into Yoshi! In all seriousness, these are both good ideas and sprites. I'd say keep it up, but I'm not sure if you'd want to.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » January 15th, 2012, 8:07 am

Super Luigi! wrote:you've just turned Winky into Yoshi

My god... I didn't even think of that.... I can't believe I didn't realize I turned Winky into Yoshi!!! :lol:

I'm totally up for any other suggestions. I do enjoy sprite editing... if I didn't, why would I still be doing it?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » January 15th, 2012, 8:13 am

Oh, I thought you were Simion32's slave for the DKCLB and RE. Well, as for ideas, how about something simple, like a DK and Kiddy Barrel? You know, like the Dixie and Diddy Barrels in DKC2? Or how about K. Rool with a moustache? There's some ideas.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby The Banana Bird » January 15th, 2012, 9:42 am

Mechy sounds more creative. THOSE ARE AWESOME! Do you think they should spit out fireballs or bombs to add to the MECHA part of the necky? That is pretty awesome.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 16th, 2012, 1:59 am

The Banana Bird wrote:Do you think they should spit out fireballs or bombs to add to the MECHA part of the necky?

I think I'm going to edit the Necky that shoots nuts. I'll make him mechanical and then he can shoot bombs or fireballs. I'm leaning more toward bombs, though. I was maybe going to have flying Mechy drop bombs every time his wings go down. His mouth is too small to have anything drop out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks