DKC-Related Custom Animations

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC-related animations

Postby Simion32 » December 13th, 2011, 10:36 am

Phyreburnz wrote:is there some easier way than going through pixel by pixel changing the colour to make it exact? I've tried to look up a tutorial on photoshop to change it to a more exact colour, but I've not found anything.
If you're talking about LB, there will be a color swap option which can swap the "palette" on-the-fly at load time. Of course since LB uses 32bit color, there's more than the SNES colors to choose from and "palette swaps" are not limited to 15 colors.

You could try it for fun but for LB it won't be needed, really.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » December 15th, 2011, 5:31 am

Right now I'm working on Kiddy swinging on a rope. I'm almost done, and I think it looks better than the Dixie one, at least so far. I'm pretty excited to get it done! I'll upload a preview so you guys can see how it's coming along! Nearly done! Next, I'll be putting Kiddy up and down two ropes.

If anybody has anything they'd like to see done, please let me know! I'm not sure where to go after my next two projects.

I also made very simple floating DK and Kiddy sprites. I'm not exactly sure if I can improve on them that much. If anybody has any ideas on how to make it better, please let me know. All I did was take the dying animations and looped a few frames. If you guys want the PSD files for anything, just ask!
Attachments
kiddy-swinging-on-rope-preview.gif
kiddy-swinging-on-rope-preview.gif (107.3 KiB) Viewed 199120 times
kiddy-floating-1.gif
kiddy-floating-1.gif (3.14 KiB) Viewed 199120 times
dk-floating.gif
dk-floating.gif (2.73 KiB) Viewed 199120 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » December 15th, 2011, 7:23 am

Even better this time! Wow that's good. :mrgreen:

I basically want all the PSDs from here on out, please. Just post them to the LB thread, I guess. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » December 15th, 2011, 7:29 am

Awe, thanks Simion! I'll definitely post all of the PSDs I have. I won't post the Kiddy swinging one yet, because I'd like to finish it first. Maybe by tomorrow or this evening it will be complete.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » December 15th, 2011, 8:10 am

Good job on the Kiddy and Donkey floating animations, and good job on the Kiddy swinging a rope animations, I can't believe how good you are at this kind of stuff, you are helping Simion32 with his missing animations for DKCLB/DELTA.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » December 15th, 2011, 9:27 am

Thanks Markster!

Here's the completed version of Kiddy swinging!
Attachments
kiddy-swinging-on-rope.gif
kiddy-swinging-on-rope.gif (111.89 KiB) Viewed 199102 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » December 15th, 2011, 3:11 pm

I've finished Kiddy going up two ropes. I'll put the PSD where the other ones are in the DKLB board.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do next? I'm kinda out of ideas! :lol:
Attachments
kiddy-up-two-ropes.gif
kiddy-up-two-ropes.gif (11.1 KiB) Viewed 199088 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cosmicman » December 15th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Those missing animations are sweet, but I think some improvement can be made to Kiddy's double rope climb, you could make him look up when climbing and look down when descending, looking at the camera while climbling looks a bit silly :)
I think there is a few more animations missing, but right now i can only think about Dk single hand hanging from a Dkc2 hook, like on my avatar.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Phyreburnz » December 15th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. The problem is there are no animations of him looking up and down while directly facing the screen. It's only to the side, and it looks a bit weird. I wanted to find a better straight-on animation, but if there are any, I can't think of one. I'm not sure how to make it look better. If you have any ideas, feel free to fix it! ^_^

I was thinking about making a better animation for DK being held by Sqwaks. I don't know how practical that is, though.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » December 16th, 2011, 10:50 am

I made an animation of DK on a hook.
dk-on-hook.gif
dk-on-hook.gif (8.08 KiB) Viewed 199059 times

I also made one of Sqwaks holding DK. It's silly looking, and I doubt it will be practical, but it was kinda just for fun, anyway. I took the animation of DK close to a ledge and looped a few frames. If you also want the PSD, just ask!
sqwaks-holding-dk-2.gif
sqwaks-holding-dk-2.gif (13.51 KiB) Viewed 199074 times

Okay, so it's pretty ridiculous looking... but I thought it was funny! :lol:

I've also just (kinda) made a sea enemy. Just using Slippa sprites, I changed the red to white, making it look like a sea snake. I thought it would be kind of interesting. I'm not sure what I'd name him... maybe Slythr or Swimma.
sea-snake.gif
sea-snake.gif (3.11 KiB) Viewed 199068 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby HellFire » December 16th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Wow man, the DK on the hook looks really good, only some little adjustments on his shoulder and it would be perfect in my opinion. The kiddy one swinging in the rope looks good as well, only his head animation looks a little unsynchronized, but as it is I think its very usable. The kiddy climbing in the two ropes looks a bit strange, but its a nice start. Keep the great work!
Tourist

Postby Phyreburnz » December 16th, 2011, 1:00 pm

I really don't think there's much more improvements that can be made with Kiddy going up two ropes. I don't think there are any animations of him looking straight on. If you have any suggestions to make it better, please let me know. Kiddy is a very difficult character to animate, as he is only in one game and the only animations of him are in the game (where with DK, there's animations of him in the beginning, the credits, winning and losing bonus room animations, and all kinds of things).

I fixed the shoulder on DK on the hook. How does it look now? Good catch, by the way!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » December 16th, 2011, 1:32 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:I don't think there are any animations of him looking straight on.
Ending credits, he looks straight at the screen and waves at you.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » December 16th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Thanks Simion. I'll have to see if that will work. I hope so!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cosmicman » December 16th, 2011, 5:29 pm

After looking at your hook animation I was thinking maybe it would look more natural to have Dk using both hands to hang from the hook, do you mind trying that just to compare?

I think there is also a missing sprite for DK side to double rope transfer.

Maybe you could try to use Diddy's legs and add those to DK double rope climb to see how it looks? Diddy uses his legs and having DK going up and down without using them looks a bit stiff.

With that said, you are doing an awesome job so far!

Edit: How about using Kiddy's head animations from your super excellent Kiddy swinging file, he is looking up and down in those, even though is too the side I think it will look better.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Phyreburnz » December 17th, 2011, 4:38 am

I will try to put DK with both hands on the hook, but I'm not sure there's enough room on the hook for two hands. I'll try it, though.

I didn't use Diddy's legs, but I tried your suggestion. Here's the animation. Do you think it looks better like this?
dk-up-two-ropes-with-feet-moving.gif
dk-up-two-ropes-with-feet-moving.gif (10.4 KiB) Viewed 199034 times
dk-down-two-ropes-with-feet-moving.gif
dk-down-two-ropes-with-feet-moving.gif (10.38 KiB) Viewed 199034 times

I will work on making DK move from one rope to two, next.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby doug kong » December 17th, 2011, 6:02 am

Phyreburnz your kiddy rope double was a bit strange why this aside I did a kiddy kong if you still want to use as a base will be ...

Apresentação1.gif
Apresentação1.gif (4.37 KiB) Viewed 199031 times
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » December 17th, 2011, 6:06 am

Wow, that looks really good. Do you have a PSD file of that? Also, you don't mind if I animate it, do you?

I did a version of DK on the hook with both hands. I don't like it as much. There's not enough room on the hook for it to look normal. Here's both for a side-by-side comparison.
Attachments
dk-on-hook.gif
dk-on-hook.gif (8.08 KiB) Viewed 199029 times
dk-on-hook-both-hands.gif
dk-on-hook-both-hands.gif (7.2 KiB) Viewed 199029 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby doug kong » December 17th, 2011, 6:18 am

Sorry I have no friends here I use photo shop to edit all the paint more if you can usal so I can try to get him looking up and down :mrgreen:
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Cosmicman » December 17th, 2011, 7:11 am

I really like the double hook grab but a strong guy like him would just use one hand, I was thinking his single hand is taking his full weight, maybe like 300 pounds or more, his upper hand should be vertically straight, move a little to the back and extend a bit, and the other hand should be a bit lower, maybe as low as his foot, his chest should be impacted by this too, one of his chest muscles should be a bit higher that the other one, like this.
You can try and hang from something in your house using one hand and you will see how your body reacts.

His double rope grab looks a million times better, and I agree with doug kong, his Kiddy image would be a great base for the double grab.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Phyreburnz » December 17th, 2011, 7:23 am

I understand what you mean. I could try it and see. It might be a bit difficult to make his body look like what you're describing.

I'm going to use those Kiddy sprites from Doug Kong to try and make mine better.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cosmicman » December 17th, 2011, 7:25 am

I know is difficult, it was even difficult to explain. :lol:

Edit: I'm not sure about this one, but I think there is another missing animation, I know there is an animation for DK moving vertically on a rope, but how about moving horizontally? If there isn't I think this one will be really hard to make.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Phyreburnz » December 17th, 2011, 8:12 am

I've already made DK on a horizontal rope, actually! It's on the first page on this thread.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cosmicman » December 17th, 2011, 8:25 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I've already made DK on a horizontal rope, actually! It's on the first page on this thread.

Dang, how could I miss that. It looks great!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby doug kong » December 17th, 2011, 9:39 am

well despite not having done as much photoshop I could and completely dismantled the kiddy hope it helps ...

Apresentação2.gif
Apresentação2.gif (3.46 KiB) Viewed 198996 times
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » December 20th, 2011, 3:04 pm

Thanks doug kong! Very helpful. I'll try to get the Kiddy up two rope animations done soon.

Next, I'd like to make an animation of DK moving from one rope to two. I also want to make an animation of Kiddy and Dixie on a ledge (you know, like DK and Diddy in the first game). I don't know if it would be useful, but I know how to make Kiddy's and make it look good (I think!) ;)

So here's my list (I think in the order in which I will complete them). Please, please let me know if you can think of any other missing animations that need done! I'm running out of ideas, here! :lol:
Kiddy up and down two ropes
DK moving from one to two ropes
Kiddy on ledge
Kiddy moving from one rope to two
Dixie on ledge

I also think I really pulled a stupid... I was looking at a sprite sheet that somebody else made and I think I found an animation that would have helped me tremendously when doing the animation of Kiddy swinging on a rope. I probably should have taken the animation of Kiddy holding on to Quawks. I think it would have probably fit perfectly... so I'm feeling pretty dumb about that. Either way, the animation is done, so it doesn't matter now. I just feel really stupid for not even thinking of that! :shock:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » December 21st, 2011, 2:07 am

That is a pretty good dixie swinging rope sprite. I like the added sbowflake affect.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » December 21st, 2011, 6:21 am

I didn't "add" the snowflake effect. I just used the sprite of the free-swinging rope sprites from a snow level *I can't remember the name of the level right now.* I disabled all of the layers except for the sprite layer and I couldn't get rid of one snow layer.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » December 21st, 2011, 1:33 pm

I went a bit out of order. I made an animation of Kiddy on a ledge. What do you think? For some reason, I feel it's missing something. I'm not going to upload the PSD until somebody either asks for it, or give me an improvement suggestion.

I just took the sprites of Kiddy riding a barrel. I was going to add his arm from the sprites of him going up a rope, but it didn't fit like I hoped.
kiddy-to-be-on-ledge-1.gif
kiddy-to-be-on-ledge-1.gif (9.31 KiB) Viewed 198931 times

I also made an animation of Dixie crawling.
dixie-crawling.gif
dixie-crawling.gif (3.88 KiB) Viewed 198930 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cosmicman » December 21st, 2011, 4:53 pm

Try part of his normal walking animation where his feet are visible and his body is leaning forward, add this surprised face from your animation and maybe the hands too if his walking animation hands don't look right.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby The Banana Bird » December 22nd, 2011, 8:26 am

Phyreburnz, I have had a sea snake sprite for a while and I suggest that you try to animate it to move like this sprite sheet. I call him Slinda, I am just a beginner so thats why it looks really bad but use this into a animation for the white one you got so it looks like it is twirling in the water. The floating DK and Kiddy look great. The DK on Sqwaks is.....hliarious XD. He is like PUT ME DOWN YOU DUMB BIRD!
Attachments
under water slippa.jpg
under water slippa.jpg (10.61 KiB) Viewed 198908 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby doug kong » December 25th, 2011, 2:23 am

a small animation that I created from my sprites

kiddy ani.gif
kiddy ani.gif (3.82 KiB) Viewed 198876 times
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby VideoViking » December 27th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Phyreburnz, do you think you can do a sprite animation of Donkey Kong sticking to honey (vertical walls)?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » December 28th, 2011, 4:31 am

I haven't been doing much recently because of the holidays, but I'll have more free time now to do some more animations! I am glad you said something about the honey walls. I'll definitely try to do that!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » December 29th, 2011, 2:51 am

Okay, so here is DK from one rope to two. I've also made DK on honey. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks to Tonberry2K for the sprite sheets of DK.
dk-on-honey.gif
dk-on-honey.gif (22.58 KiB) Viewed 198813 times
dk-one-rope-to-two.gif
dk-one-rope-to-two.gif (10.2 KiB) Viewed 198814 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » December 29th, 2011, 4:35 am

Why is Kiddy Kong so small?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » December 29th, 2011, 4:37 am

I think I need to find a new sprite sheet. It seems like all of the sprites are too small. I thought he looked small too, but I thought it was just me.
I got another sprite sheet from Tonberry2k. So here is Kiddy on honey.
Attachments
kiddy-on-honey.gif
kiddy-on-honey.gif (32.13 KiB) Viewed 198807 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » December 29th, 2011, 9:29 am

The Kiddy on ledge is also too small, you might of got it from the GBA version, but it was SNES palette.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » December 29th, 2011, 9:32 am

I noticed that the Kiddy on the ledge was too small after you pointed out him being too small on the honey wall. I needed to fix that one anyway. I think those are the only two with smaller Kiddys.
EDIT
Here is Kiddy on a ledge. Let me know what you guys think. I feel like he needs something else.
Attachments
kiddy-on-ledge.gif
kiddy-on-ledge.gif (27.9 KiB) Viewed 198795 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » December 30th, 2011, 6:43 pm

I've made Dixie on a ledge. Let me know what you guys think... I think she needs something else. I don't know what, though. Sprite sheet courtesy of Tonberry2k.
Attachments
dixie-on-ledge.gif
dixie-on-ledge.gif (9.62 KiB) Viewed 198750 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » December 31st, 2011, 1:39 am

Nice animations, good that you finally fixed your Kiddy animations, they where too small, they looked GBA sized.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » December 31st, 2011, 2:05 am

Yeah, they were from the Game Boy advanced DKC. I went back and looked where I got them. I can't believe I missed that the first time!

Kiddy didn't have an eye pop/jaw drop animation, so I made one. I'm not sure how useful it would be, but here it is.
EDIT I've fixed it up a bit more. I don't know why the animation is so slow. I have it set for no delay... It looks much faster in photoshop for some reason.
Attachments
kiddy-eye-pop2.gif
kiddy-eye-pop2.gif (36.21 KiB) Viewed 198723 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » December 31st, 2011, 9:09 am

Amazing work, Phyreburnz. I'm sure these will work great in DKCLB.
It may be too much work but would it be possible to create DKC2 level completion victory dance moves for Kiddy and Donkey Kong?
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby VideoViking » December 31st, 2011, 9:23 am

Surprisingly, DK does have a victory dance. Use the frames found in the DKC1 intro (the part where Donkey drops in on Cranky's phonograph).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » December 31st, 2011, 9:43 am

I'll have to concoct something to make cool victory dances. Should I also give them instruments like Diddy and Dixie? If so, what instruments shoud I give them? And will I go crazy trying to make them! :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » December 31st, 2011, 10:05 am

If you could do it, adding instruments would be incredible. Maybe Kiddy could play the drums and scream (I'm picturing the temper tantrum he has when he takes a hit) or something. That would be quite an achievement.
Maybe a more practical idea for Kiddy's "dance" would be if he raised his eyebrows like in Kiddy14's avatar:
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » December 31st, 2011, 10:24 am

Ah! Great idea! The tantrum sprites would work well! I was thinking of giving DK a bass guitar and sunglasses (from the Funky sprites). I think maybe a red bass with yellow accents.
Dies that sound good?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » December 31st, 2011, 11:18 am

That sounds great. Funky's sunglasses would be a nice touch.
I know at least I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Good luck. :lol:
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Cosmicman » December 31st, 2011, 4:02 pm

DK dancing intro with the stereo would be perfect. But this will force all the builder levels to end with a Dkc2 dance which is awesome in my opinion. Also great work on those animations!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Simion32 » December 31st, 2011, 6:59 pm

Cosmicman wrote:But this will force all the builder levels to end with a Dkc2 dance
No, it won't. That's optional, even with the DKC2 end target. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks