Donkey Kong Country fan-game ideas

The dream tool of any hardcore DKC player, the DKCLB aims to make editable in unison all elements from the original DKC Trilogy, and allow customization of it all, too! Powered by the Delta Suite.

Re: Donkey Kong Country fan-game ideas

Postby Simion32 » July 29th, 2011, 4:06 am

gamer_boy997 wrote:I'm bored on this summer night, so why don't I contribute by tacking on that snowy level that you need ;)

Name: Blazing Blizzard
Archetype: DKC Snowy Mountains
Music: Frosty Frolics (DKC3)
Special Effects: Blizzard effects from DKC
Gimmicks: Strong blizzards in portions of the level cause an effect similar to that of Gusty Glade from DKC2.

While on the edge of the mountains in winter, the Kongs face one of their toughest natural threats: A blizzard. No, it is nothing like what the Kongs experienced before. This one is extremely intense. Not only does precipitation get in the way, but winds from the cool climate constantly change direction and cause a tough force against the Kongs at times. The worst part of all however, is what light-weight pieces of matter the wind manages to pick up. With such strong winds, baddies are blown everywhere, including the Kongs’ path. There is one plus side however, and that’s the bananas that the wind manages to carry. An endless supply blows by, but you’re going to need every single one to survive this journey! Other than that, barrels, KONG letters, extra lives and other miscellaneous objects will manage to stay in their place. Oh, and did I mention the severe heights you can fall into?

Whoa, that's great. Level confirmed! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » August 10th, 2011, 4:58 am

This topic has sort of been dead for a while now, sorry. :(

You may come up with some ideas yes, as this is a brainstorming topic. But ideas may not be able to be put to any good use for a great while.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby K.Rool the Krool » September 3rd, 2011, 1:47 am

Hey Guys,

Is anyone interested in giving this thread new life? I've been away from the forum/this topic for quite some time but wouldn't mind getting this going again if anyone's interested. Either way, let me know. ;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Master clyde super » October 31st, 2011, 10:38 am

Ooh, 2 Month bump...
OK, we should, like, organize. I was going to actualy DO the wiki and stuff. We might also need other forum's help, as, I'm sorry to say this, DK Atlas is kind of lonely. Not many posts seem to go around, probaly because you don't close old threads, making people more urgent.

OK, away from DKAF, I think the mods should copy this thread, remove posts that don't have ideas and edit posts that comment on non-idea posts, along with a big starter post will a list of ideas and wiki links, and maybe even some polls for ideas (Like when we decide between the Kiddy or muilti-colored life balloons). Also, like I said, ANOTHER FORUMS HELP!!! Maybe DK Vine or something, even a Nintendo Forum, maybe.

Plus, we need to stick with the jobs Simon had, maybe even apount new leaders (Gamerman isn't very active). Also, we shouldn't just randomly blurt ideas out. Only post ideas if they are adding or are needed, other wise you should have the job for it. Maybe we should Email a job holder a week from the last time they post, then a month and then wait another month before you FIRE them. Also, you need a good reason for quiting because we will be more orginized.

Maybe a Twitter acount or something for the project to post updates, like a world that needs levels or a job that needs filling. Plus some advertizing (FREE advertizing) to get bored people that might want to help. Possibly a Blog or a whole other forum!

We also need a database for all the pictures people edit for the project that other people can see and suggest stuff for, like making it have a more blue tint (Not the best medaphor maker).

Along with the above Jobs idea, there could be requirerments, like owning Paint.Net or Photoshop/GIMP, not just MS Paint, along with a DKA account for people that join outside the forum, like through the Wiki, and getting approved b y PM'ing a Project Mod with examples, like graphic or music samples .

aN|) no posting like that. It is VERY anoying and can cause confusing. I think that's already a rule but I wanna say that agin.

And make sure to stay on topic, no random :lol: moments or saying your going to kill yourself or something, stay focused and POSITIVE!!! :mrgreen:

I just wanted to add my, well, ALOT of sents. No real decisions, just ideas. I might add more later, but my hands kind of hurt.
Now I have to do some stuff on the wiki... :cry:

EDIT:
I made a new wiki, feel free to add stuff to it at: http://dkc5kiddystepsup.wikia.com/wiki/ ... kiActivity
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » October 31st, 2011, 12:46 pm

Well, I would love to revive this thread and get things going again, but as you all know (or at least should) I'm deep into developing DELTA, and I don't have the time to marshal a super-active forum thread while simultaneously working on DELTA and going about my daily routine, all at the same time. :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Master clyde super » October 31st, 2011, 12:50 pm

I was just saying that you might help a bit, maybe get more people active again.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby The Banana Bird » November 12th, 2011, 9:37 am

Im not sure if this is a good idea or not but for the castle interior I think this seems fine.
Level Name: Creepy Castle
Archetype: DKC2 castle
Music: Haunted Hall or Toxic Towers song you can decide
Description: This haunted castle atop the volcano is filled with ghosts and lost baddies! The level consists of climbing many ghost ropes, many kloaks and even a part at the end when you get up to a minecart where you need to go through a gate and when it opens, a kackle chases you down the track. As you do, you must manuever ghost mini neckys, from Creepy Krows boss fight by jumping over them. Here and there are some purple klampons and kritters walking back and fourth. One part consists of using rattly to jump up to high areas. In this castle you can hear the wind from from the blizzard outside. Gnawtys are walking around too, lost after they walked through the couple of small holes in the walls were you can see a snowy backround. There are not alot of holes in the walls though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby The Banana Bird » December 6th, 2011, 8:32 am

THIS TOPIC IS DYING! Heres some enemies for you guys, just some help: The top is a slinda, a underwater slippa, the manky kong is called a wanky kong, it can walk and when you get close he will throw barrels rapidly, he can also jump back and forth. Last is some guys idea of a enemy called slis which I thought was pretty good, he is rare and is very fast.
Attachments
recolors.png
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 22nd, 2011, 10:57 am

You guys came up with all these great ideas but you never started a game engine? I'll do it. I love DKC and it has always been one of my favorite game series. I wasn't pleased with DKC returns on Wii and I miss the Kremlings. I'll do it. I'll start working on it right away, I have some ideas of my own too!

you might be wondering, who is this guy?
I did this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37H0J5BASaU
and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV3aS__JqhM
and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erPfdcSrVvc
and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihSi9mLEB4Q
and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWg9fyfi2NI

I have an engine that I think will work great for a DKC fangame

only one thing. I will be ripping DK and Diddy from super smash bros brawl for this project if I do it
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Simion32 » December 22nd, 2011, 11:54 am

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:You guys came up with all these great ideas but you never started a game engine?
What do you mean I never started an engine?

I'm not using Game Maker. It cannot handle something of this caliber. Game Maker is just too slow and convoluted for the capabilities that DKCLB must support. Trust me, I have already tried with GM and it didn't get far. Even just this basic, imperfect engine was as slow as molasses on my rather-high-end computer. :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 22nd, 2011, 5:05 pm

Sorry. I didn't know I must have skipped the page where you started an engine. REALLY SORRY NO OFFENSE I DIDN'T SEE IT. YES game maker is slow as crap BUUUUUUT I have pulled off some really nice tricks with it and I think it can be done, with a nice running speed on a low end machine. As I said I have an engine that I think it will work well on. It's a modified version of my Sonic Xtreme Engine. If you look at my Marios' Wacky Worlds Video you will see the engine. I tell you what, give me 2 weeks and I will Have a demo ready. I will re create Jungle Hijinks from DKC with SSBB Donkey and Diddy in stunning 2.5D. You guys have such good ideas in this and I really love it. Has anyone thought of a white colored Manky Kong (Eddie the mean old Yeti) who throws giant snow balls instead of barrels?
I really want to try my hand at this, as I said these were my favorite games when I was a kid.

:)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 22nd, 2011, 5:10 pm

and I just looked at your video and I actually like your work. The barrel Cannon physics are actually GOOD. You don't give yourself enough credit
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Simion32 » December 22nd, 2011, 5:15 pm

Well, sadly the complicated nature of the cannons makes the engine slow on anything but the fastest computer. If you look at the first post of DKCLB thread you should be able to download the old GM engines.

I have my reasons for switching to C++, including being able to control all graphics, the code is not script interpreted, possible to create utterly 100% precise physics, etc.

Not going to switch back now, as I've already went the "professional route". Plus it will bode better for the people who make functionality plug-ins. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » December 25th, 2011, 2:17 am

I have an idea for a DKC Fan-Game.
----------
Donkey Kong Country R

Story :
Donkey and Diddy found out that King K. Rool has build the ultimate vehicle, that will take Donkey Kong's bananas once and for all, and to stop him, he has to go through 15 tracks of madness, but what are they going to ride through the tracks? Well they bring there trusty old Mine Cart to do it, it is up to Donkey and Diddy to save there bananas by destroying the vehicle.

Concept :
You go through 15 exiting tracks, the first few are very easy, but the later ones get really tough, there will be a lot of obstacles to dodge, a lot of timed barrel blasting to make sure you stay on the mine cart, and tons of enemys to kill.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 26th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Simion32 did you make the dkc engine i have on my HD from way back when that has all the animal buddies and the barrel cannons and all kongs where you are in the jungle? It looks like the video you shared with me. If you did then that was awesome too man! I decompiled that a year ago to see how the barrel cannon physics actually worked, but i could never figure out how it was done so I think I deleted it.

*mod: fixed the capitalization*
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Simion32 » December 26th, 2011, 1:24 pm

No, that's not me. Gamester (he's a member here too) made an engine a long time ago in GM6 that had animal buddies, but it may or may not be what you were talking about.

Perhaps you meant this?

All of my GM stuff is already posted in the LB topic as old downloads, there's not anything left out. ;)

EDIT: I've seen Gamester's barrel cannon engine, and I can say that mine is wholly more complicated than his. I was doing crazy stuff with using text variables to load the numbers from a file into the actual object, or something like that. Unfortunately getting exact DKC-like physics is not practical in GM, where all variables are floating point. To do it correctly you need to be able to work with integers, and do "bit-shifting" math as well.

Here's a snippet from the level file (.DKC, it's really just a renamed .txt file) that the GM engine video I posted uses:
Code: Select all
[DKC1BarrelCannon]
12,08,12;0005,0005,0005,0005;-00.50,000.50,-00.50
01.00;000008,000064;1,1,00000
Vertical_160px

I can't even remember what these do anymore, but I think I wrote it down somewhere (likely buried in my old files archive).

Anyhow, I'm not going back to GM because of various reasons.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » December 26th, 2011, 1:40 pm

I think we are all guilty for decompiling Gamester's DKCE, he was going to create a GMK anyways, but he never did, what ever happened to Gamester, he hasn't updated DKCE in over a year.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » December 26th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Yeah, it WAS his DKCE wasn't it?

Also, I should mention that one very big reason that I stopped using Game Maker is that the exe would become MASSIVE, and use huge amounts of RAM, given the extremely large level size limits that the DKCLB will support.

The only way to trim off enough memory overhead is to program the entire thing myself, so that's one of the many reasons that GM had to say goodbye. There are countless other things I could list like plugin functionality, being able to manipulate raw graphics (very useful in special effects), line-paralax-scrolling... maybe I should head over to the DELTA or DKCLB topic and start a list of these... :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » December 26th, 2011, 1:56 pm

I still use Game Maker, because it is simple, yet it has pretty good game results, C++ is very very advance, but I never have time to learn it.
----------
Overall, DKCE ROCKS!!!
Please come back Gamester.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » December 26th, 2011, 2:57 pm

yeah that's it. Man I really feel like the late guy at the meeting right now....
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 10th, 2012, 1:56 pm

OK so I was trying to come up with a 2.5 D DKC fangame idea that I could use my sonic xtreme engine on and I remembered an idea I had earlier. everybody knows Donkey Kong Racing was supposed to hit GC prior to the microsoft buyout but was canceled. No gameplay footage was ever released but there was an E3 video showing DK, Tiny, Chunky, Kiddy and the whole crew riding animals of differnt colors and sizes. Expresso, Rambi, Ellie, and even a Zinger! Now here's my idea... remember in DKC2 for GBA the Expressos racing mini game? a 3D/2.5D version of that with selectable characters and animal buddies with power ups diddy kong racing style! I will need to change my engine a little more to make it a racer but I think it can be done, and fun too! what do you guys think?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » January 10th, 2012, 2:51 pm

That sounds like a pretty good idea, Jeffrey_Bones, and you even have an engine to back it up. OK, now for my idea.

OK, a Wario game might be like this, but I don't know. The game is about a Kong running across this circular platform (like a wheel) to collect bananas. There is a set amount to grab before the Kong laps the wheel 3 times. On the 3rd lap, the wheel starts moving faster, which makes it harder to collect the bananas. After a level, you could then use those bananas to buy certain things, like a power-up to slow the wheel down, or a tire to jump higher. Bosses could be in the game too. Take Necky Sr. from DKC1 for example. He could be offscreen or in the background and shoot those nuts at you, which you'd have to avoid. You would have to defeat him running past something like a bomb and kick it to him. Now, you must do this before you lap 3 times, otherwise you lose. As for animal buddies, maybe some like Rambi could defeat enemies in your way while others like Winky and Rattly could help with jumps. One last thing, DK Coins could also be added to unlock new levels to go to, or something special.

Well, that's all I have right now. What do you think of it?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Morzeka » May 22nd, 2012, 2:06 am

Super Luigi! wrote:That sounds like a pretty good idea, Jeffrey_Bones, and you even have an engine to back it up. OK, now for my idea.

OK, a Wario game might be like this, but I don't know. The game is about a Kong running across this circular platform (like a wheel) to collect bananas. There is a set amount to grab before the Kong laps the wheel 3 times. On the 3rd lap, the wheel starts moving faster, which makes it harder to collect the bananas. After a level, you could then use those bananas to buy certain things, like a power-up to slow the wheel down, or a tire to jump higher. Bosses could be in the game too. Take Necky Sr. from DKC1 for example. He could be offscreen or in the background and shoot those nuts at you, which you'd have to avoid. You would have to defeat him running past something like a bomb and kick it to him. Now, you must do this before you lap 3 times, otherwise you lose. As for animal buddies, maybe some like Rambi could defeat enemies in your way while others like Winky and Rattly could help with jumps. One last thing, DK Coins could also be added to unlock new levels to go to, or something special.

Well, that's all I have right now. What do you think of it?

That sounds fun enough. I could see competitive multiplayer as a great game mode, whether you're looking to see who can collect the most bananas, or just to see who can survive the longest on the infamous wheel of TERROR. Maybe the animal buddies could be a temporary power-up that's purchased from the store, or just unlocked as you progress through the game? Something to use only for that tight situation?
Either/or, I like the game idea. Too many fantasies of this wheel makes me want to play it.
.... Ah, dear abyss. The gnawty in the wheel, chasing poor Donkey Kong. RUN!
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Super Luigi! » May 22nd, 2012, 2:23 pm

Glad you like like it, might King Morzeka! I'd love to see the idea put into action as well, and would do it myself, but I need some game-making experience first.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » August 9th, 2013, 11:25 am

@ Gugubo: I deleted your pointless post. Don't bump threads without something to add to the discussion.

We like to re-use threads here instead of locking old ones and making a zillion duplicates of them, but make sure to actually have something worthwhile to post before posting in an old thread.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Previous

Return to DKC Level Builder