What's wrong with my password?

Feedback, suggestions and content submissions for the DKC Atlas website and forum can be posted here.

What's wrong with my password?

Postby Aaendi » April 17th, 2011, 7:57 am

Each password I get only works once, and I keep having to click on "forgot my password" even when I typed my password in perfectly.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Re: What's wrong with my password?

Postby Qyzbud » April 17th, 2011, 12:26 pm

I'm honestly not sure what would be causing this problem. I myself have had login issues from time to time, but what's happening for you sounds more annoying. Sometimes I'll try to log in once, and the system will tell me there have been 'too many failed login attempts' or something along those lines... I'll have to take a look at the login system and see if I can fix these bugs.

Has anyone else experienced login issues lately?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 17th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Sometimes (mostly at school, for some reason) it tells me I've logged in too many times, like you, and it makes me do a Captcha, or whatever they're called. But other than that... Nope.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Simion32 » April 17th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Qyzbud wrote:'too many failed login attempts'
I've gotten that once or twice, and if I recall correctly Jomingo has gotten that error as well. It makes me wonder if a bot or some actual person is trying to login to admin/moderator accounts (not that anyone's ever going to be able to bruteforce my password).

I've never had the problem described by Aaendi, though.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » April 17th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Yeah, I've had the error that Qyz and Simion described, and my worry is that somethings been trying to login to my account. So a stronger password has been put in place, and I'm not worried. This new error seems much more troublesome however.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby VideoViking » April 18th, 2011, 2:16 pm

I wonder if web servers have the ability to check for disk errors, because I'm thinking the passwords are somehow corrupt. Either that, or you may need to update phpBB.

As a test, could you require that all users reset their passwords?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Simion32 » April 19th, 2011, 4:59 am

I highly doubt the passwords for other users are corrupted, but in Aaendi's case...

This sounds logical. I've had checkdisk get stuck on because the dirty bit was stored in what later became a bad sector, thus permanently turning on checkdisk. The recent reformat I was forced to do was the only thing that fixed this.

The same could be happening with his password, causing any password he enters to automatically corrupt itself to an invalid hash upon storage to the datbase.

Hash functions are designed in such a way that small changes in the source make huge changes across the hash value. So, even a single corrupt bit in the hash could throw it off.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cody » May 1st, 2011, 5:55 am

I just wanted to chime in saying the "you have exceeded the log-in attempts" doesn't only occur when a mod/admin tries to log in; I've been getting that error message very often as well.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Jomingo » May 2nd, 2011, 7:14 am

Yeah, I don't think there's an error in the password system for us, I just think some bots are trying to log in to our accounts and that's why we get the message. Make sure you have a strong password just in case somebody's trying to log in as you.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Return to DKC Atlas Discussion