The Random Thoughts Topic

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Re: The Random Thoughts Topic

Postby Kingizor » February 21st, 2011, 8:26 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:Before the industrial revolution, a certain species of moth was white as well as the trees it lived on. After the industrial revolution, the trees turned dark, as did the moth.

'Tis not what I'd consider to be Evolution, but natural selection. This example might make it clear why there is a higher ratio of black moths now (natural selection), but it doesn't exaplain why there is both black moths and white moths in the first place (evolution). It's the tiny, ever so gradual changes over tremendous spaces of time are what people can't quite agree on. Some people say it happens, others say it doesn't, and the people that say it happens don't agree on why or how it happens.

I've always thought Lamarckism is/was a pretty interesting theory.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 21st, 2011, 11:21 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:Evolution proof, right here.
http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/site/c ... ew/127/65/
Before the industrial revolution, a certain species of moth was white as well as the trees it lived on. After the industrial revolution, the trees turned dark, as did the moth.

And I have to say Tiptup, I don't like reading obviously biased articles. Calling Darwin stupid over and over makes this article look pretty invalid.

Yeah, that's microevolution, which if you'll see I SAID is scientific fact. Macroevolution is not.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » February 22nd, 2011, 7:12 am

kingizor wrote:['Tis not what I'd consider to be Evolution, but natural selection.

If you have variation, differential reproduction, and heredity, you will have evolution by natural selection as an outcome. It is as simple as that. (That is from this website)
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/e ... tion.shtml

This is for Tiptup, take a look around this, it explains macroevolution pretty well: http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/e ... tion.shtml
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Kingizor » February 22nd, 2011, 9:06 am

Phyreburnz wrote:If you have variation, differential reproduction, and heredity, you will have evolution by natural selection as an outcome.

I completely agree, but my point was that there are two different things to begin with in these examples. Surely these beetles or moths or whatever else share a common ancestor? What exactly causes their paths to diverge?

e.g. A man and a woman have a child. Some time after, they have a second child. By this logic, "child A" should be identical to "child B", but there are other factors at work. Child A's descendants may end up an entirely different sort of person to Child B's descendants, with different traits, etc, despite the fact that "Child A" and "Child B" have the same parents.

One million years or whatever ago, the were primitive primates, whereas now there are humans. Of course natural selection plays an important part in deciding which species survive and which don't, but it doesn't explain how to get from ape to man.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Phyreburnz » February 22nd, 2011, 10:50 am

Kingizor, your child example... The reason that children would be different is because they inherit different chromosomes from each parent.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/enviro ... tion92.htm

We can't yet prove 100% that man evolved from apes. You're right on that. And the evolution from ape to man is just a theory; it cannot be prove or disproven as of now. Eventually, it will either become fact that yes, we indeed came from apes, or no, we didn't evolve from apes.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Chibisai Kong » February 22nd, 2011, 11:23 am

Spoiler!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mountain_gorilla_newborn.KMRA.jpg

BABY MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Kingizor » February 22nd, 2011, 12:05 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:something

In the example I gave I imagined that the parents and the children would be genetically identical (perhaps people isn't the best example, maybe single celled organisms?). It's my opinion that in such a scenario, perhaps a hundred, or a thousand or however many generations down the line, there would be some divergance - I don't think I'm explaining whatever it is I'm talking about too well.

Perhaps during the evolution process, changes to one's environment, one's physical condition or similar, may affect future generations. Say for instance if I were to go and live in the jungle (think Tarzan), become really adept at swinging from trees, have a family and teach them to do the same, and have this trend continue for a few hundred thousand years, my descendants in the future might have adapted to life in the jungle moreso than people living elsewhere?

This is why I mentioned Lamarckism earlier. There are a few known examples: I remember hearing of a Mongolian tribe (or race or something, can't really remember), anyway, they had to endure particularly harsh winters during the last ice age with no shelter, and developed an extra layer of skin over their eyelids, to protect their eyes from the bitter frost. People of the same ethnicity, from slightly further afield do not have this trait, because their ancestors were able to travel south for inter, or find caves to live in, or something. (Quoting all that from memory).

Ever hear of people saying that in the future people won't have their little toe, because they don't use it? Or that people now are generally much taller than people a few centuries ago? It's these ever so slight changes that I'm talking about.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Gnawzooka » February 22nd, 2011, 5:38 pm

The problem with Lamarckism though is that as far as we can determine, traits acquired by living life are not directly passed on to children in anyway, only the original genetic code (with the occasional random mutation) is passed on. That's why after after some 10,00 years+ of Homo Sapiens living on this earth, and probably much of that time with some form of language, babies are not born with the innate ability to talk. Or walk, or really do anything for themselves...

Actually besides intellegence, humans are actually quite pathetic evolutionarily speaking, but thats another matter...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby 7S7ui3 » February 22nd, 2011, 9:44 pm

It would have been epic with a nazi zombies, expect you are DK and the zombies are kremlings and the maps are in the jungle or something....
Tourist

Postby Kiddy14 » February 24th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Go to Google Translate and translate "äääääääääääääää" from German to English.
Wut.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 25th, 2011, 3:06 am

Yeah, really, what the hell?

Now go to YouTube and type in "terrible music".
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 26th, 2011, 2:30 am

Ke$ha's TiK ToK should appear as the first result. Regardless of your opinion of the song itself that's still pretty funny.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kiddy14 » February 26th, 2011, 5:16 am

No, I get this video.
Then Metro City Slums music from Final Fight Arcade.
Then Get a Weapon from Mega Man X.

EDIT: LOL I just wanted to show how my neighborhood sounds like at night (sometimes).
I don't even live near the Independencia colonia =P
kthxbai
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Markster » February 27th, 2011, 4:28 pm

I am back, i haven't signed in in months.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 28th, 2011, 4:53 am

Kiddy14 wrote:No, I get this video.

The country your account is set on must be different... anyway.

Anyway, hey Markster.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby HavocReaper48 » February 28th, 2011, 9:19 am

Markster wrote:I am back, i haven't signed in in months.

You dare return to us after what you've do--

I mean, welcome back man!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Chibisai Kong » March 2nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

HavocReaper48 wrote:
Markster wrote:I am back, i haven't signed in in months.

You dare return to us after what you've do--

I mean, welcome back man!

LOL, that's mean, HavocReaper48.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 3rd, 2011, 8:36 am

So in other news, the iPad 2 has the EXACT same screen resolution as the original iPad. Fail.

Also, a new Mario game was announced for the 3DS and looks effing awesome.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby HavocReaper48 » March 3rd, 2011, 9:41 am

I was kidding, Chibisai Kong :P

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Also, a new Mario game was announced for the 3DS and looks F---ING awesome.

NO WAY! A Mario game?! for 3DS?! NEVER would of thou--

But seriously, though, I do like the logo for the game.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Jomingo » March 4th, 2011, 11:48 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:So in other news, the iPad 2 has the EXACT same screen resolution as the original iPad. Fail.

The graphical performance isn't all dependent on Screen resolution. It's using a new processor that's twice as fast, and has about 9 times the graphical performance. So... screen resolution means jack all in this case.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 4th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Not true. Have you ever seen the iPhone 4's retina display? Yeah. Obviously a true retina display on a screen the size of the iPad's would be pretty unreasonable but I was expecting a slightly higher resolution.

ALSO, I effing MISS THE GAMEHIKER IMAGE GALLERY SO MUCH RIGHT NOW.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Simion32 » March 4th, 2011, 1:47 pm

__Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!]_00000.png
"The view is quite nice from up here.
Maybe you two are worth something after all..."
__Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!]_00000.png (21.49 KiB) Viewed 103248 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 4th, 2011, 3:46 pm

Wow. That's pretty nice. Strangely all I can picture is Donkey Kong pushing Cranky out of the chair, sending him to his death. Is this from a new game you're making?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Simion32 » March 4th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Spoiler!
I just put the End Credits Script object into Jungle Hijinxs and waited.

Soon enough cranky goes by and I screen capped him.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » March 5th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Not true. Have you ever seen the iPhone 4's retina display? Yeah. Obviously a true retina display on a screen the size of the iPad's would be pretty unreasonable but I was expecting a slightly higher resolution.

Like I said, the IPad 2 has 9 times the graphical performance. It will look a lot better regardless of the resolution. It will be a significant improvement to say the least.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » March 6th, 2011, 2:15 am

Plaid is my favorite colour... if it was a colour....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 6th, 2011, 5:08 am

I USED TO THINK THAT TOO. And also, on a completely unrelated note- Lawd knows I hate GameStop. I don't care if they're "just a business" or simply trying to make money, they are EVIL! They sold my brother a used copy of Super Paper Mario, I think for thirty or 35 dollars, and of course it doesn't work. I've cleaned it to no end but it refuses to play. And of course my dad threw the receipt away. And they give you like three bucks or something when you take a game in to sell and turn around and sell it for ten or fifteen times more. Plus they take all of their new games OUT OF THE BOXES and put them back in, so even if you buy a new game from GameStop you're paying for a product that's already been opened. nonsense.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Blaziken257 » March 8th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Yeah, I usually get my games at a Best Buy that's close to where I live. There's a GameStop nearby too, but not as near. Speaking of which, here's a game that I bought at Best Buy yesterday (a game that I was very excited about since last April):

Spoiler!
I was even given a US $5 gift card for some reason when I bought the game. That was odd, but nice. XD

Oh and the game is awesome. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 8th, 2011, 3:22 pm

Nice. That's pretty awesome... I probably won't be getting it any time soon, sadly.

And for some reason I've been having a really weird Pac-Man fetish lately! I recently bought Championship Edition DX, which is AWESOME, but yeah. I've always been a fan of his, even though with Namco it's usually just OMG NOSTALGIA instead of "hey, let's make a new product that people will enjoy." The Pac-Man Worlds are all great games, and the original Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man gameplay still holds up. Plus it's cool that you can still buy so many old Pac-Man games, albeit most of them for mobile phones, which sucks. Just look at all these for a minute... http://pacman.com/en/pac-man-games

Also, I like how Namco still produces arcade machines. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kiddy14 » March 8th, 2011, 5:19 pm

I've a Pac-Man Plug & Play controller thingy =P
I just have never liked it because I panic really easily.

By the way, I didn't want to bump the 3DS thread, but they recently announced the 3DS will sell for $5,990 MXN O_o that's around $500 USD.
Like, what… like… uhm, it's… yeah…

If I had the money and I were willing to travel to the US, I wouldn't doubt in getting it in your countries.
Spoiler!
Random:
Practicing French~
Je ne veux pas un 3DS maintenant, probablement je l'achèterai dans trois ou quatre ans.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » March 8th, 2011, 5:58 pm

I've just banned the **** out of a crap load of spam bots again. They are still getting in here... :roll:

It's about time Qyz fixed this, cause all it would take is to verify that the Favorite Animal Buddy field is valid.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2011, 4:34 am

@Kiddy14: Hmm, that's odd! Only going for $250 here... But keep in mind comparing one currency to another isn't always indicative of how things really are (in certain countries loaves of bread can go for millions of local dollars, for example.) But I mean, yeah, almost $6,000 in Mexican money is definitely expensive. I'm sorry. :( Why does the U.S. seem to get everything cheaper?

@Simion: Yeah, that'd probably do it... Strange, as I haven't been noticing them lately! You must be doing a good job. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » March 9th, 2011, 9:07 am

THANK YOU! Gamestop are the most evil retailer in the world and they are barely better than effing pirates! I hate them with a passion and they personally cause so much hardship for the games industry that it's ridiculous.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2011, 9:50 am

Yeah. Honestly. In my opinion, buying used copies of games that are still available at retail is pretty much stealing (plus on average you get less than ten dollars off). But like, they used to sell old N64 games and such- that was okay because you couldn't get them anywhere else. I miss those days.

Oh... and it just so happens there are Pac-Man toys at Wendy's. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » March 9th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Jomingo wrote: they are barely better than effing pirates!

Oh, so you've got a problem with pirates, now >:[
Spoiler!
Yeah, that's right... I'm a effing pirate! :lol: Image
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jomingo » March 10th, 2011, 10:27 am

No no no, I love pirates. I just hate pirate pirates. Like in the stealing sense of the word. Because that's basically what gamestop is, they are pirates and they take so much money that they don't deserve.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 10th, 2011, 12:52 pm

HEY, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH SETTING UP MAME ON MY COMPUTER? Maybe Simion? When I download it from mamedev.org I just get a bunch of pointless folders and files... I'm posting here because the official support page is crap. I'm sorry. But help plz.

Also, I do consider myself an OP (original pirate) and also, see here.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » March 10th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Tiptup... Oh my god, man. I wanna gauge out my eyes with a spoon after watching mere seconds of that... WHY WOULD YOU POST THAT?!?!?!?!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Kingizor » March 10th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:MAME iz difficult... :shock:

As far as I'm aware, the official MAME stuff just has a very minimal GUI, so I'd recommend something along the lines of MameUI, which is one of the better known frontends for MAME. I forget why, but I think I use mameplus, which is just as pretty.

Tutorial:
    1. Download a Mame variant and extract it somewhere.
    2. Put roms in the "roms" folder. Do not rename any of them. Double click the executable (****.exe) to start the program.
    3. The first time you open this, On the left panel "All Games" will be selected. Select "Available" instead. This will show you a list of the roms you have.
    4. Whenever you add more roms to the "roms" folder, you will need to select "File-->Audit All Games" so that mame will verify your roms to make sure they are correct.
    5. Once this is done, you will have a list of the roms you have. Double-click one to begin playing.
    6. When you get into a game, press TAB, to bring up a menu. Here you can configure input and a few other things.
    7. As for most of the other options in the GUI, if you've ever used a computer most should be quite straight-forward.

Mame by itself doesn't need half of what I've written here. Just put roms in "roms" folder and double-click "mame.exe".
That should be enough to get you started. You do not need to pay any attention to the various folders in the Mame directory. Most are for extras that are used by a handful of games (i.e. backgrounds, etc).
This post originally made perfect sense, but two edits later and its starting to look a bit messy...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Simion32 » March 10th, 2011, 2:19 pm

YOU CANNOT LOG IN TO YOUTUBE
WITHOUT LINKING TO A GOOGLE ACCOUNT
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » March 10th, 2011, 3:12 pm

After going through Google's FAQs, I realized it's not a GMail account but a Google Account = total different things according to them.
It's as if I were to sign up to Google's Facebook, but with more services, that I won't use 'cause this is just my YouTube account.

In any case, I don't like it and find it unnecessary. They say it's because it's a chore to have two types of accounts in YT, new ones already linked to GMail and old ones in their own… and because of privacy, which I guess could have been resolved just by updating YT instead of forcing into Google's services.

By the way, many people say a privacy concern of this is that in the case your e-mail account be compromised, you also risk your YT… actually, Google's asking for a new password (again, just like Facebook) which you can choose to be different.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 10th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Simion32 wrote:YOU CANNOT LOG IN TO YOUTUBE
WITHOUT LINKING TO A GOOGLE ACCOUNT

omigosh I know. I'll have to make a new Gmail or something for my over-18 account.

EDIT: And kingizor, when I download MAME from the official site, it doesn't even have a Roms folder or an executable application anywhere... just literally thousands of random files and folders. I don't know what I did wrong. :|
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kingizor » March 11th, 2011, 2:22 am

Did you download the source code instead of one of the compiled binaries? That's the only thing I can think of. Best just to get MameUI instead.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 18th, 2011, 4:22 am

Xbox Live parental controls are stupid as hell. I made an account for my little brother and it FORCED me to set one of my existing accounts as his parent... I'm trying to get it removed. But like, at least with the Wii, they make it so you don't even have to use parental controls. The ones on the Xbox are just retarded beyond belief.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Simion32 » March 18th, 2011, 7:18 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:parental controls
Consoles shouldn't HAVE parental controls in the first place.

In fact, I believe NOTHING should have it (in the software and PC-hardware sense, anyway).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 18th, 2011, 7:43 am

Gah, no kidding... so now my brother will be stuck with a profile that's permanently linked to mine, even if I remove him from my "family account" he is not able to sign in to Xbox Live without linking to another account for authorization. I should've just set the age to 18 and avoided all this mess... I'm so stupid!

Plus I don't mind reasonable parental controls, but the ones on Xbox are FORCED upon you no matter what and they are very intrusive. They can also never be completely removed (I now have my brother set to "adult" privacy settings, I guess, but he is still linked to me.) Normally I would delete his account and start a new one but I don't want him to lose his save files and achievements.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Gnawzooka » March 18th, 2011, 4:41 pm

Yeah I always lie about my age for such trivial things, saves a whole lot of mucking around...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 18th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Yeah, that's what I shoulda done. I was dumb. But I'm over it.

On an unrelated note, I finally transferred data from my old Xbox 360 to my new one, and proceeded to finish the final level of Hero Klungo Sssavesss teh Universe. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Mayo » March 19th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Since revisiting the trip down to memory lane by playing through some games filled with nostalgia-goodness like SMW, Yoshi's Island, DKC1 and 3. I've now moved from SNES to N64, shifting my nostalgia intake to DK64 and the Banjo-Kazooie series. Omnomnomnom 8D

I also played some 3DS, before it was released here >:D
It's epiiiic.

And for some reason I want to gather cutscenes from DKCR and make them into a film Noir style, don't ask where these ideas come from.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes