New Animal Buddies?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii, developed by Retro Studios.

How Do You Want The Animal Buddies Handled?

All Old Animal Buddies
15%
All New Animal Buddies
6%
A Combination of New and Old Animal Buddies
79%
No Animal Buddies
No votes

Total votes : 34

New Animal Buddies?

Postby Rare Lover » July 9th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Alright, lets get some more topics in here besides just the one, makes it seem more active. So, how does everyone want to see the animal buddies in this game? New ones, old ones, none at all.

I would personally like to see the tradition continued of ditching some and letting some new ones in. For me, I'd like to see Rambi, Squitter, Squaks (either form will do, I'd like his flying form but I don't know if that would work in co-op) and Enguarde (perhaps a cameo or non-playable form) return. I'd like to see one or two new animal buddies. I really don't have anything in particular in mind, surprise me Retro. I will say that it would be nice for them to work something out that works really well for co-op.
Trainee Trekker

Re: New Animal Buddies?

Postby DK4Ever » July 9th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Yeah, I agree with all of the ones tyou mentioned returning, especially Squitter and Squawks, as I feel all four of them in particular made their mark on the series. (Being the ones with repeated appearances).

As for new buddies...it's idea time.

Tank the Turtle - Use his shell to block projectiles and survive dangerous things like spikes.

Bounder the Kangaroo - Sort of like the new Winky/Rattly. He bounces and punches things, and can jump high. Seems fine to me.

Anybody else got some ideas?
Treasure Hunter

Postby Scraps69 » July 9th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Paul the Octopus:

Helps you pick prizes out of question marked boxes and lets you race through shallow water and can spring while he's on land.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 10th, 2010, 4:31 am

I'd be up for a mix of new and old, but not if the new ones fulfill functions of old ones. Don't make a kangaroo if you could bring back Winky (though a Kangaroo would be cool).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » July 10th, 2010, 7:02 am

I dunno I figured the thing that made the Kangaroo different than Winky would be his offensive capabilities through Punching rather than only jumping. He'd still have that, but he's also have the ability to punch things, and maybe even lift large objects out of the way.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 10th, 2010, 8:16 am

I seem to be in the minority here of people who reeeally liked Jungle Beat`s animal buddies. There`s a snowball`s chance in hell of it happening, but I`d love to see them return... Maybe swap out Rambi for Hoofer (don`t kill me!) or Squawks for Helibird. Alternatively, a less-controversial route would be to replace DKC2`s Quawks with Flurl.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » July 10th, 2010, 8:30 am

I'd like to see them in one form or another someday too, but Retro says they're not pulling any inspiration from Jungle Beat.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 10th, 2010, 9:50 am

I know. And I understand that completely. I just wish Jungle Beat and DKC could live together in harmony. :(
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby DK4Ever » July 10th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Swap out Rambi for Hoofer and Squawks for the Helibird? I don't personally think either of them deserve to replace older animal buddies, especially Rambi or Squawks. After all, Rambi and Squawks even made it into DK 64. Squitter didn't, but Squitter is too awesome to neglect.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » July 10th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Yeah, that's the problem with the Jungle buddies, they are cheap replacements for better characters. I like them, but I'd never take them over the real ones.

I'd take any (and I mean any) Rare made character no matter how insignificant over any character in Jungle Beat no matter how significant. Is it irrational for me to prefer everything Rare did and hold it to such high praise? Perhaps. Is it going to change? No. I've been hardwired to love everything Rare made and the idea that Hoofer the wildebeest could replace Rambi is laughable. Jungle Beat was a good game and a fun experiment, but we're unlikely to ever see something like it again.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Ribbedebie » August 6th, 2010, 8:02 pm

I'd like to see most of the old ones, and perhaps some new ones. Man, I'd be so sad if they won't appear...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby JungleJitter » August 16th, 2010, 9:27 pm

I would like to see squitter, rambi, squawks and some new guys
Tourist

Postby Stilt Village » August 18th, 2010, 3:03 am

I would like to see Rambi, Expresso, Winky, Squawks and some new ones
Newcomer

Postby JungleJitter » August 18th, 2010, 5:02 am

Stilt Village wrote:I would like to see Rambi, Expresso, Winky, Squawks and some new ones

yeah stilt I almost forgot expresso ;)
Tourist

Postby HavocReaper48 » September 5th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Well, Rambi is confirmed (seeing as he's on the very cover of the game), so it's likely we'll see some returning characters.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby CrankyMan » September 6th, 2010, 2:01 am

Well, if you wanna see a topic about confirmed things in DKC4, then read this:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1062
Tourist

Postby Markster » September 7th, 2010, 9:00 am

I prefer both new and old.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 7th, 2010, 1:04 pm

I want primarily DKC animal buddies: I would love if Rambi, Squawks, Enguarde, Expresso, and Winky all made a return. (Anyone else is unlikely, but maybe Parry will be in lolololol)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby DK4Ever » September 8th, 2010, 12:48 am

Well, at this point since we know Rambi's in, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more DKC animal buddies (Enguarde in the least, maybe Expresso). I also REALLY think Squitter's going to make an appearance, interestingly enough, those 4 were the only ones to appear as trophies in Brawl, not that that means too much, but you never know.

I think it's safe to assume we won't be seeing Ellie, but that's fine. (Who thought Ellie would make it? The same people that thought Lanky would, probably. Don't get me wrong, I like them both, but really.)
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 8th, 2010, 1:38 am

Just to clarify: I never thought Lanky would be in. They just said it in such a bitchy way, it pissed me off. (Plus it wouldn`t be too far of a stretch, with Lanky and even Tiny being featured prominently in some recent titles.)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby HavocReaper48 » October 23rd, 2010, 7:14 am

Well, we've got one more animal buddy confirmed:
Spoiler!
Squawks confirmed: http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=140096

It MAY just be a cameo. Maybe. I hope he serves some purpose...
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 23rd, 2010, 7:17 am

SPOILER TAGS BRO!! Can we get a mod over here or something?

Spoiler!
...But yeah. I guess that's pretty awesome. Just wish he was playable.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby HavocReaper48 » October 23rd, 2010, 8:41 am

Um, sorry about that. Still somewhat new to his place and all ("tourist" rank now).

Spoiler!
I hope he at least stars in a mini-game or SOMETHING. Or it would be called "Donkey Kong Country Returns & Cameos". I'm not very hopeful at this point... but I would love to see photographic evidence of this myself. Even just official artwork.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Jomingo » October 23rd, 2010, 2:44 pm

Spoiler!
Well, the scans are out there for all to see. Squawks is indeed in this game as an item in Cranky's shop. He's not just a cameo, he's an item, but who know's what he'll actually do once purchased. We know you can purchase hearts, but hearts don't save you from falling in a pit, so maybe that's what squawks does. Maybe he serves some purpose on the world map, like flying you somewhere. Or maybe he can be used to fly around and pick up items or something. Either way, he appears to have a minor role, but he's there.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 2nd, 2012, 1:01 pm

Nope, Instead we get Squaks and an ugly Rambi. End of story.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 2nd, 2012, 1:09 pm

Mr.Diddy wrote:Nope, Instead we get squaks and an ugly Rambi. End of story.
And we don't even get to really USE Squawks. Instead he's an expensive metal detector. And seriously, what is up with Rambi? They made him look like a typical, cartooney muscle-brain. He doesn't even look angry like he used to!

The game felt very lonely, like over time all the Kongs and Animal Buddies were killed in some horrible tragedy save five survivors.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 3rd, 2012, 4:06 am

Katastrophe Kong wrote:
Mr.Diddy wrote:Nope, Instead we get Squaks and an ugly Rambi. End of story.
And we don't even get to really USE Squawks. Instead he's an expensive metal detector. And seriously, what is up with Rambi? They made him look like a typical, cartooney muscle-brain. He doesn't even look angry like he used to!

The game felt very lonely, like over time all the Kongs and Animal Buddies were killed in some horrible tragedy save five survivors.

Yea, Squawks can just get fat sitting on the stupid moving branch while you bust your but looking for jiggy ripoffs that do almost nothing. Honostly, I thought Squawks would at least fly arround and shine his light at a seccret similar to what he did in DKC, but he just has to yell his head off on a branch and barelly tells you where to look. Just like I was so ticked off when they changed how Rambi looked, but I was even more ticked off when he didn't stick his tongue out. Come on! thats like DK not wearing a tie! One last thing, why did they change how Rambi looked and not Squaks? I could argue about this game for ages! :lol:
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Return to Donkey Kong Country Returns