Necky Nutmare and longer Winky's Walkway

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

Necky Nutmare and longer Winky's Walkway

Postby aperson98 » August 5th, 2010, 12:43 am

I was trying out the new DKedit and had a great idea, why not port some of the GBC levels into the game. With these two hacks you can play both Necky Nutmare and the longer Winky's Walkway in SNES quality.

For Necky Nutmare (Overwrites Manic Mincers)

Link- http://www.mediafire.com/?qzf5nxsdxxioa7h

Screenshots-

For Winky's Walkway GBC (Overwrites Bouncy Bonanza)

Link- http://www.mediafire.com/?baebos6ktnhxgyd

Screenshots-

Note: The tiles and layout may be a bit sloppy and there is a few bugs in the levels.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Re: Necky Nutmare and longer Winky's Walkway

Postby Jomingo » August 5th, 2010, 1:57 pm

This is a great idea. Would it be possible to apply the same concept to DKC3's Pacifica? That would be pretty sweet.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » August 5th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Probably, except that (1) there is no DKC3 editor program and (2) very little in DKC3 is documented to begin with.

That game is also obviously compressed, but it doesn't use the exact same compression scheme as DKC2 (still need to research that). So maybe it will be possible with time, but not at the moment. You'd be better off counting on the DKCLB getting that far by then.

DKC is so easily editable because its level data is just stored in the ROM as straight tile arrays, no compression to speak of.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » August 6th, 2010, 6:28 am

Hmmmm.... well perhaps somebody will take it upon themselves to remake the Pacifica levels once the Level Builder is capable of that. Anyway, great work.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » August 13th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Necky Nutmare by VideoViking; converted and fixed problems by Simion32
Overwrites Elevator Antics, In-game level is Incomplete due to large data size.

20100812 - DKC (U) (V1.0) [NNVV+Fixes+Phys]_[Test].ips
Demo level for Necky Nutmare by VideoViking.
(7.68 KiB) Downloaded 984 times

This is a suggested layout for Necky Nutmare designed by VideoViking. We worked together to get the tiles right and I converted it into SNES format using a newly built PNG-to-level converter. Also had to hack one of the tile's physics to be jumpthrough, so this terrain will break if used in another hack.

EDIT: I'm planning on inserting the full level into an unused space in the ROM elsewhere, and see if we can get the full layout to work. ;)

Physics Hack: 0x2C16F0 = 4141 (tile 0x7E)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Scraps69 » August 13th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Hmmm, the level layout has alot of potential. nice!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby aperson98 » August 18th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Simion32 wrote:Necky Nutmare by VideoViking; converted and fixed problems by Simion32
Overwrites Elevator Antics, In-game level is Incomplete due to large data size.

20100812 - DKC (U) (V1.0) [NNVV+Fixes+Phys]_[Test].ips

This is a suggested layout for Necky Nutmare designed by VideoViking. We worked together to get the tiles right and I converted it into SNES format using a newly built PNG-to-level converter. Also had to hack one of the tile's physics to be jumpthrough, so this terrain will break if used in another hack.

EDIT: I'm planning on inserting the full level into an unused space in the ROM elsewhere, and see if we can get the full layout to work. ;)

Physics Hack: 0x2C16F0 = 4141 (tile 0x7E)

I just got to testing it around yesterday all I can say is a job well done Simion32 how did hack the cave tiles to have that behavior I know normal ones do not let DK and Diddy jump through, heck you even got the mid-point of the the level to work properly, if only the level didn't suffer from getting cut off so soon it seems no current cave level in the original DKC has the length of Necky Nutmare.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby Scraps69 » October 18th, 2010, 3:55 pm

How is this level going by the way? I'm interested to see if we could integrate this into Reloaded as a direct replica or with different challenges based around the general level design.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Return to ROM Hacks