Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Talk about Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii, developed by Retro Studios.

Re: DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS!!! [CONFIRMED]

Postby DK4Ever » June 16th, 2010, 7:30 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:...Yeah, so, I know I'm posting constantly, but it is just blowing my mind how epic this is. Do you all realize that we have been waiting, hoping, and praying our entire lives for THIS MOMENT? And it's here! Donkey Kong Country has returned to its rightful place at the DK throne. The arcades are being put in their rightful place with Mario vs. DK 4. Life couldn't get any sweeter.

Well, it could- I would literally drive a red-hot nail through my hand if I could play this now. :P

Man, that's some good points those is.

Especially the part about the nail.

Also, I started a thread about this on SWF, and there was also a bit about the story I might have to link, off of Nintendo's site.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Rare Lover » June 16th, 2010, 7:37 am

I came back just to say that I am freaking stoked. We gotta give this game its own forum, it's a DKC game afterall.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Simion32 » June 16th, 2010, 8:03 am

I'm all too sure Qyzbud would be glad to do the honors - once he finds the time. I'll PM him in advance. EDIT: PM Sent.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » June 16th, 2010, 8:46 am

I am 98% sure their will be a brand new 3DS DK game to accompany it considering the image on Retro's website and that 3DS promo with the DK barrels.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 16th, 2010, 9:19 am

Yes, or- I know folks around here may not favor it- there's a strong possibility Donkey Kong 64 will come to the 3DS. Star Fox 64 has already been confirmed, and I believe Ocarina of Time has as well.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 16th, 2010, 9:20 am

I doubt it though it is a possibility. I'm pretty sure Retro would be the one to make it and they probably wouldn't waste their time on a port.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 16th, 2010, 9:21 am

Wait... is Paon helping Nintendo with Donkey Kong anymore? Or is Retro just going to take over from here?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Scraps69 » June 16th, 2010, 9:35 am

my heart just skipped a beat. IM SO PUMPED!!!! HAAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHA. though what's with the hearts? 2 hits before changing kongs right?

EDIT: It's a wii game according to IGN
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » June 16th, 2010, 9:35 am

I assume Retro is handling DKC from now on and honestly, I couldn't be happier with that. I love Paon, and I know they were doing their best as DK fans, but Retro has the know-how and the tools.

And you might be right about the 3DS game, Jo, but now I'm interested in what that might be...

Every time I watch the trailer, I laugh, and get a little bit teary eye'd. It's just been a long time coming, man..
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » June 16th, 2010, 9:56 am

If this game has been in development since 2006 than it's likely that Paon's second and third games were just made to tide us over while this game gets finished.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 16th, 2010, 10:01 am

Jomingo wrote:I'm pretty sure Retro would be the one to make it and they probably wouldn't waste their time on a port.

On a side note I wouldn't consider a legitimate port a waste of time. Have you seen screens from Star Fox 64 3DS? The graphical improvements alone are AMAZING.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 16th, 2010, 10:18 am

Yeah but come on, this is Retro Studios we are talking about! This is basically Nintendo's most respected internal studio, it's their new Rare.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 16th, 2010, 10:27 am

Well... yeah. And Rare made the game we`re talking about. I`m just saying, If DK64 ever exists for the 3DS and Rare`s handheld department isn`t doing it... it`s gonna be Retro.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » June 16th, 2010, 10:30 am

*Scrolls past the psychotic excitement and clicks the post button*

w00t! We get our DKC platformer after all. Looks like the 2 most important things are going in an upward direction: music and gameplay. The other 2 --graphics and story-- were more a downward zig-zag type direction, but I can live with it. Seriously? Kremlings being replaced by Tikis? Wow.

Is there any indication of the release date?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby tatanga » June 16th, 2010, 12:19 pm

One question:

where are the kremlings?
Tourist

Postby Jomingo » June 16th, 2010, 12:24 pm

It doesn't appear as if the story has anything to do with Kremlings, but it all could be a facade ala Super Mario Sunshine where they had Shadow Mario as the bad guy until they finally revealed Bowser to be the true villain. Who knows, there might not be any Kremlings at all.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Scraps69 » June 16th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Just looking at some gameplay vids.

Here is something I noticed... No 'Roll + jump' is there. The only rolling is via diddy over long terrain kinda like a steel keg.

Also, Donkey kong takes a big breath to uncover leaves and this replaces the slap attack.

Though you'll also see in the trailer when DK travels from vine to vine is the jet pack that diddy has. Also the peanut gun in this boss battle gameplay vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whMSHYj9jtg → level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuVij7enF6g →> boss level
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » June 16th, 2010, 1:17 pm

No, the breathing move does not replace the ground slap, in fact both DK and Diddy can do the ground slap now. Also, there is a roll+jump move though it wasn't in the gameplay trailer. Everyone who has played the game on the floor is claiming you twitch the wii remote to roll and then you can jump while rolling. This move is apparently separate from the move where Diddy rolls on top of DK. Also, you can't do the thing where you roll into an enemy and keep on rolling as you keep hitting enemies.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Scraps69 » June 16th, 2010, 1:21 pm

Jomingo wrote:No, the breathing move does not replace the ground slap, in fact both DK and Diddy can do the ground slap now. Also, there is a roll+jump move though it wasn't in the gameplay trailer. Everyone who has played the game on the floor is claiming you twitch the wii remote to roll and then you can jump while rolling. This move is apparently separate from the move where Diddy rolls on top of DK. Also, you can't do the thing where you roll into an enemy and keep on rolling as you keep hitting enemies.

oh really? link me to the source??
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » June 16th, 2010, 1:35 pm

I think most of what I said is explained in this link:
http://www.gamexplain.com/article-132-1 ... ds-on.html,
Though I wrote that based on things I've read from a number of sources. For instance, Mattdog1000000000(I don't know if you know him or not)'s brother is at the event and has played the game and posted info on the rolling mechanism.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Jomingo » June 16th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Yeah yeah, double post, I'm a mod sue me.

Anyway, this image here is the one I was talking about earlier. I'm thinking a 3DS title is definitely in the works. Image
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Scraps69 » June 16th, 2010, 4:00 pm

is that even a 3DS? or just a plain DS?

I think it's more of an illustration of playing games then anything that may be used to predict future titles.

Though I will admit, Retro has been on a huge hiatus so it's very well possible that there has been co-development. And traditionally there has been Donkey Kong Land. So, it would make sense for there to be a DS version as well.

Actually, the roll and jump mechanic is illustrated in the the black and orange section of the trailer (also, enemies such as the vultures can be rolled through). Also, the link you sent was probably the worst impression of DKCReturns ;). All the other ones seem to glower DKC4 with praise.
Though it may illustrate an issue in regards to motion control or maybe the guy playing it just... sucked?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » June 16th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Woot life balloons!

And I feel certain of K.Rool's involvement actually, as Reggie said we'd be seeing many familiar characters, and we only saw DK and Diddy in the trailer. (They're the stars, they don't count)

I think Retro is being crafty. They wanted to make a nostalgic game, I'm sure they know the fans would appreciate the original villain of the series.

But in the event he and the kremlings don't make an appearance... who cares?? It's a new DKC game that looks very, very good and very, very faithful to the series. I'm not complaining, and I don't think we have any right to, anyway.

Woooo!
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » June 16th, 2010, 4:12 pm

My only concern is that K. Rool's involvement in this game will pretty much determine whether he's in the next smash bros. or not.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » June 16th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Yeah, I thought something similar, but I'm assuming we don't have to worry.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 16th, 2010, 6:02 pm

Jomingo wrote:My only concern is that K. Rool's involvement in this game will pretty much determine whether he's in the next smash bros. or not.

Probably. But we'll see when that time comes. Honestly, I'm getting more and more used to these tiki guys every second... K. Rool's probably just a big wash-up now, lying on a beach somewhere and reminiscing of the days when he was king of the Kremlings. My guess is they've all left him, and they'll play that into the story somehow- like, I have a feeling they're going to explain why K. Rool is gone. Quite possibly forever if he doesn't become an ally of DK's.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Scraps69 » June 16th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Actually, Im thinking K Rool may be a witchdoctor mastermind. or the tiki's have taken control of K. Rool and he'll be the second last boss.

Though, if all the animals are under the control of the Tiki, I'm assuming the animal buddies will probably be out of this game. Pity if that's the case, Rambi would be missed 'again!'

Poppin Planks gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fraGWcLBHGE
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby DKCplayer » June 16th, 2010, 8:12 pm

I noticed this topic a few days ago, thinking it was going to turn out false.

Spoiler!
Yes. Yes! YES! I can't believe this is happening! DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS! YES! WHOO-HOO! :mrgreen: :D *spins around on ground whooping*

*ahem* This looks really good. While it has a lot of new treasures such as the new 2-player co-op and the new moves, both graphics and gameplay look faithful to the other three on the SNES.

The storyline has gotten me curious though... what happened to the Kremlings?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Scraps69 » June 16th, 2010, 10:01 pm

Hey,

POTENTIAL SPOILER
Spoiler!
a retro worker kind of implied that there could be more then just diddy kong in the game.

Check out the second last paragraph in this DKC Returns (it's hard not to type reloaded for some reason) hands on by 'The tanooki': http://www.thetanooki.com/2010/06/16/e3 ... y-returns/

More gameplay footage (though the guy being interviewed doesn't seem quite as impressed): http://screwattack.com/videos/Hands-On- ... ry-Returns
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » June 17th, 2010, 12:37 am

Seeing as DKC Atlas hasn't been in existent during the development of any major DK game, I'm going to declare the precedent as far as spoilers go. As new information becomes available, I expect that any discussion about the storyline be put into spoiler tags, and that includes surprise character reveals.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Scraps69 » June 17th, 2010, 1:11 am

Retro's confirmed that you can play the game with sideways remote control. Nintendo wanted the demo to be with both remote and nun-chuck controls. So, this might make the DK roll by pressing a button feel more intuitive then roll by shaking. I'm very glad!

Source: http://www.infendo.com/e3-hands-on-donk ... ns-indeed/
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby FefeRawft » June 17th, 2010, 1:58 am

Whoa what?! DKCR isn't made by Rare? Will this turn out to be exactly like an enhanced DK:JB? If this does I give up on DKC....
Trailblazer

Postby DK4Ever » June 17th, 2010, 2:13 am

Uh.... I'm assuming not...first off, what we've seen looks nothing LIKE Jungle Beat. (There are life balloons, KONG letters, bananas that work the right way, and actual characters from the series..because..well, this is part of the series)

Did I mention Diddy?

I dunno why you'd "give up" on DKC.. this is the first game DKC has had in 14 years. I'm sure some of the people on the forum haven't even been alive that long.

Edit : Forgot to mention that Retro Studios made Metroid Prime, and that was fantastic. And their goal is to bring back the magic of DKC. Obviously they know JB didn't do that, so here we are.
Treasure Hunter

Postby shadowjosh85 » June 17th, 2010, 2:50 am

Sideways remote confirmed? That's a relief.

I can't play side scrollers with that two handed setup at all...it just goes against decades of muscle memory. lol

Great news, there. Gimmicky stages seem to have returned, as well. The background to foreground movement reminds me of a game I can't quite place, though...
Tourist

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 17th, 2010, 6:04 am

Super Paper Mario, probably. And does anyone else think they should have just went ahead and named this Donkey Kong Country 4? Honestly... Like, I can't tell myself that we have DKC4 because they're not calling it DKC4. It's weird.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Matt534Dog » June 17th, 2010, 8:08 am

Spoiler!
Off topic:

shadowjosh85 wrote:The background to foreground movement reminds me of a game I can't quite place, though...

I think you're thinking of the Wario Land game for Virtual Boy.

OMGOMGOMG!!! *Breathes deeply, takes inhaler* This game is the reason I signed back on here after nearly a year! I can't wait!
Tourist

Postby Scraps69 » June 17th, 2010, 11:42 am

Iwata asks on DKCReturns:

http://e3.nintendo.com/iwata-asks/

Appariently production was someitme in 2008 April. that's wierd, everyone keeps saying 2006.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 17th, 2010, 11:51 am

That stems from the fact that when the WIi was revealed (the Revolution, back then), we were told we`d be getting a game called Donkey Kong Wii after launch. It never happened, of course, so everyone has just assumed that it merged into this project. But apparently it hasn`t. That`s weird... what was Donkey Kong Wii going to be? I refuse to accept the whole "it was just an empty promise we were getting a DK game" thing. There had to have been something behind it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 17th, 2010, 12:01 pm

DK Wii could've been Barrel Blast, but most likely it was just a placeholder for the new DK they new would end up being made. Also, IGN was the first to mention 2006 that's where people have been getting it.

Anyway, at ShadowJosh, I too think you're probably thinking of Wario Land VB, which reminds me that these background to foreground transitions are exactly how I imagined Rare's promised Donkey Kong VB to be like. Now if we can get this same mechanism on the 3DS I'll be happy.

On a related note, I find that Super Paper Mario's gameplay lends itself greatly to 3D, but everyone (including me) prefers the RPG's to SPM.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Scraps69 » June 17th, 2010, 12:02 pm

mm, that's pretty nuts. Maybe Miyamoto had some plans. He was probably going to make DK WII but then it turned into a new super mario bros. project. If that's the case, it just shows Miyamoto can't help himself but pimp his mario creation eh?

This game looks like in very good hands. The head of retro was part of nintendo america and helped in the creation of the original DKC back in the day. Also, the tanabe guy (the japanese guy also working on it) noted the importance of music and a blend of classic and new...

The retro employees are also hardcore DKC players and that they were trying to make the game really fast. Though this Tanabe guy from japan is trying to slow it down at certain places and times. So it sounds like a decent mix!! I hope it doesn't slow it down too much though...

But that tanabe guy mentioned that they are also trying to make it casual as well. Though the people at e3 are saying that you have to time your jumps really well. So, we can say that the game is a bit more hardcore then new super mario bros wii which is awesome =D . Though been dumbed down a bit which is kinda bleh.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 17th, 2010, 2:40 pm

I just realized... Paon had already made their three DK games before this one even went into production. And we know that Nintendo asked Retro to make Donkey Kong, not the other way around. This means that Nintendo didn`t trust Paon to make a DKC4, and instead played it safe by sticking with a larger, more well-seasoned developer. I always thought that Paon were huuuge fans of DKC. I bet, had they been making this, we`d be seeing Kongs and Kremlings out the wazoo, at a slight sacrifice of DKC gameplay.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 17th, 2010, 3:00 pm

No offense, but there is nobody I'd trust better to do this right then Retro, even Paon. Yeah, they'd be showing off all kinds of kongs and kremlings but guess what? The rest of the world wouldn't care. Retro puts a respected name behind it and that's just as important.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 17th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Jomingo wrote:No offense, but there is nobody I'd trust better to do this right then Retro, even Paon. Yeah, they'd be showing off all kinds of kongs and kremlings but guess what? The rest of the world wouldn't care. Retro puts a respected name behind it and that's just as important.

Well... I don't care if the rest of the world cares, in a sense. I'm not saying this is just Jungle Beat with Diddy, but we better start seeing some familiar faces. We probably will, so there's no sense getting mad about it. Yet.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 17th, 2010, 4:26 pm

We will get tons of old characters, this isn't going to be Jungle Beat with Diddy.

Also, it's more important now than ever what the world thinks of DK. With Zelda being delayed that makes DK this years Holiday game. NSMBWii sold 14 million copies last Christmas, if people get that excited about DK then we won't be waiting another X amount of years to get something good again. We need the rest of the world to like this to make DK relevant again, that way we get sequels.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby shadowjosh85 » June 18th, 2010, 3:35 am

Yeah, I believe Wario Land must have been the title I was thinking of. It's a nice way to keep the game 2D while keeping a next gen feel, I guess.

So, it seems that we have collectibles in each stage. heh You can clearly see that in Rickety Rails, at the end you are shown the K-O-N-G letters and something that looks like a puzzle piece? And he collected 0/5. Interesting.

I guess we'll have to waut to find out if the game has bonus stages hidden within the levels.
Tourist

Postby The Guy » June 18th, 2010, 3:47 am

Bonus stages are confirmed. Their like the first DKC's, except with timers and a puzzle piece for collecting all the bananas.

I have a feeling the puzzle pieces are used to get to this game's lost world...
Veteran Venturer

Postby DK4Ever » June 18th, 2010, 10:56 am

I found this interview with IGN and the Retro staff, looks interesting...dunno what to think about a certain line in it, though.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1099190p1.html
Treasure Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Donkey Kong Country Returns