Music

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Music

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 5:15 am

Anyone here musically talented?

If so, what instruments do you play?

If not, what music are you interested in?

I know there's a DKC2 Remix in process at the moment, and qyzbud said he would be doing some help with that? Maybe he can tell us what talent he has with mixing/producing?

Personally, I picked up a guitar about a year ago. Music is a very good pastime and teaches self confidence.

I'm not in a band or anything cool like that, but I'd like to try it out :D
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Re: Music

Postby Jomingo » March 8th, 2008, 5:24 am

I wouldn't say I'm talented, but I did get a Fender Bass Guitar recently, and am in the process of learning how to play it. I'm not in a band, yet, but that is one of my plans to do once I get relatively good at playing my Bass. One of my friends is learing Guitar, another one already knows Guitar and is getting a synchronizer, another one does the Drums, and another one is getting a guitar soon. We will then form a band I've been planning called the Geckos, and I would be the Bass and lead singer. I am very interested in learning how to play the piano, but can't afford lessons. I really only want to play so I can learn how to play John Lennon's "Imagine", the greatest song ever written, and intend on playing it at my dad's funeral sometime in the next 20 years.

I don't know how to read music, but I should learn if I'm going to be in a band.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 5:44 am

I can read tabs, thats about it though.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby cfh » March 8th, 2008, 6:55 am

I used to play recorder and cello. Couldn't stand them. I just never got into music I guess.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2008, 9:23 am

nickp17 wrote:Anyone here musically talented? If so, what instruments do you play?

Does air guitar count? :?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 9:32 am

If you make it look good ;)

Heck, I've seen air guitar tournaments , If i remember correctly.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 10:43 am

I never really learned how to play an instrument, but after a bit of a warm up I can start to get some nice melodies happening on piano/keyboard. It's all self taught (which probably shows... ;)), as I couldn't stand the thought of taking lessons. I've always disliked lessons. I like the personal exploration approach.

One thing I would like to do is learn to read sheet music. That would be awesome.

I purchased FL Studio back when I had money, so I've learnt how to get some great, unique sounds to come out of that piece of software. My girlfriend thinks I should be putting vocals into the tracks I make, but I've never taken singing lessons. I don't even have an overly Aussie accent, which is a shame in a way - such a voice could be entertaining for non-Aussie listeners!

I'd love to learn guitar (I've learnt a little...) and sax, and maybe develop some vocal skills.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 8th, 2008, 10:51 am

I'm.... shall we say, 'between' instruments. In the way that I'm between girlfriends as well at the moment. :lol:

I learned Piano for something like 8 years, Drums for four and did Viola and Recorder for a little while, too.

Piano I quit because the practice for it was just too stressful - the amount of time and effort needed was interfering with everything else I wanted to do, so I stopped taking it over seriously and now I just play whatever, whenever. Drums was because of a lousy teacher who never turned up, never giving me time to practice since I couldn't fit (or afford for that matter) a set into my own house.

I'm very naughty... I've gone out and gotten a crack of FL Studio 7, but what I'd really like is for the twenty-plus year old keyboard sitting next to me to get replaced with something newer and a little more useful. Like that's ever going to happen, though - bloody expensive those things are. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2008, 11:04 am

Qyzbud wrote:I'd love to learn guitar (I've learnt a little...) and sax, and maybe develop some vocal skills.

You should learn air guitar. :P

It's so easy, it's like it isn't even there!...

...oh :?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 11:16 am

Yeah, but with an air guitar (even the really expensive ones) you just don't get that same depth of sound...

Kowz, I think that's a fair approach until you start using the software more seriously, or you have the cash to splash. Of course, I'm not the law...

Or am I? :kiddycool:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 11:26 am

I would love vocal lessons as well. But I cant afford them.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby BlueTronic » March 8th, 2008, 11:30 am

Qyzbud wrote:They just don't have the same sound depth.

Yeah. I was going to buy the new ones with better depth, but I left my air wallet at home...

...Who you callin' crazy?! :x

Qyz: Sorry for changing the subject. :oops: Please don't fuss at me again.

Qyz says: Grr... At least it was moderatly humorous. This time. ;)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Jomingo » March 8th, 2008, 1:57 pm

What is FL Studio 7? And does the recorder even count as an instrument? About as much as the triangle I guess.

I would kill to be given the opportunity to take lessons, but it seems Qyzbud hates them. I guess there's to sides to every story. I would take lessons, but I'm busy working to buy bread and water for my 7 siblings. Kidding, but seriously, can't 'ford it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 2:26 pm

FL Studio 7 is a digital audio workstation. Basically, a program that lets you make music from just a few original sounds (or from lots, if you prefer). Homepage. I find it really fun and satifying to work with. It's what I used (and am using) to compose my remix for the OCR DKC2 project.

The recorder is much more credible than the triangle. (except in the hands of Chunky - he is a master of the triangle!)

I can't afford lessons at the moment either, but I had chances along the way.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Sounds pretty interesting, I might give it a shot.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby cfh » March 8th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Jomingo wrote:And does the recorder even count as an instrument?

...Maybe you miss-understood. I was talking about this recorder:
not this recorder:
I had to learn how to read music and had a book of songs. It's a full-fledged instrument.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Just curious, what inspired you to pick that up?
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby cfh » March 8th, 2008, 3:01 pm

It was actually a requirement in my elementary school... so I guess I didn't have a choice :oops:
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 3:03 pm

ah.

I wish my elementary school would have been more instrumentally involved. Music can really open doors. I guess that's what you get when you grow up going to a small school in a small town.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 3:11 pm

Well I grew up in a small school (~30 students) in a small, remote township... We had a little more music than average, perhaps. I know voice, piano and recorder were taught, and other percussion instruments (including the triangle!) were available for 'music class' use, too.

All of that opportunity, and I never learned an instrument (other than doing 1 or two lessons of recorder). Shame.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 3:14 pm

We were demonstrated music but was never taught anything. Kind of like spit in the face now that I think about it.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 4:02 pm

That is a bit of a slap in the face... Everyone deserves music.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » March 9th, 2008, 2:36 am

I'm very talented in listening to music. :D
And i often try to play drums on the drumset i've bought from a friend. It is good enough for my purposes and I think it was very inexpensive, too.
But I'm not that good now (not enough time to train) and I'm sad that i began realising my love in drums that late.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby nickp17 » March 9th, 2008, 2:54 am

I considered drums before guitar. Never pursued it though.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2008, 8:42 am

I've been playing the trombone for about three years now. I'm a sucker for classical music! :D

In terms of what kind of music I normally listen to, though... I don't like music with words. Video game and classical music are about the only things I can get into nowadays. I wish my friends would take me seriously when I tell them the only CDs I have are video game soundtracks. :oops:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » March 9th, 2008, 9:27 am

And people make fun of you for it, right? I don't listen to music with words either, but I still don't listen to only video game soundtracks. I listen to either remixes, original instrumental music, and some video game songs.

I have no idea why, but for some reason I just don't seem to like songs with words. I've tried looking for songs with words that I like but it doesn't work. I've found a few songs I like (Peanut Butter Jelly Time Remix, Animal, Lights and Sounds, and Lazy Generation.) but very few, and I don't like them that much. I had no choice but to fill up my playlists with instrumental music. People make fun of me and call me stupid for it, but I'd like to see those idiots fix a whole Rubik's Cube in 15 minutes! :twisted:

I hate classical music. Easy Listening is the non-crappy version of classical. I hate country most of all, and I don't give a crap if it's the most popular "music" of my state.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2008, 10:37 am

You know what song is the worst of all?

Soulja Boy. Easily the worst piece of music that has ever passed through my earholes, and I hear it all the time when I'm not in control of the radio. Why do people love him so much? I guess I could make a song where I say my name a thousand times and become a millionaire. :shock:

Now, like Kong-Fu said, some wordy music is fine with me (anything by Amy Winehouse, Rihanna, or Weird Al...) but I'm not too fond of the rest of it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » March 9th, 2008, 10:41 am

Solja boy up in my OH, watch me crank it watch me row...

Where is Solja Boys "OH"? WHat is an "Oh"? I don't want to know.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby BlueTronic » March 9th, 2008, 10:46 am

Jomingo wrote:WHat is an "Oh"?

It's probably his all he had time to say before someone shot him with a bazuka for his horrible music
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Stone » March 9th, 2008, 10:48 am

I don't have problems with vocals (and screaming, shouting) but I think they are a bit overrated. In those talent-shows they only search for the "best voice" , and nobody cares about those poor drummers :(
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby BlueTronic » March 9th, 2008, 11:00 am

Stone wrote:I don't have problems with vocals (and screaming, shouting) but I think they are a bit overrated. In those talent-shows they only search for the "best voice" , and nobody cares about those poor drummers :(

I hate those songs where people scream the words like they're hoarse (The genre is called "Screamo", but I call it crap). But I'd rather hear people scream any day instead of those ear slicing violins in country.

Someone made a screamo remix of Mine Cart Madness. :x
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kowbrainz » March 9th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Wolfmother is a great modern band... best I've heard in a long time.
And they're Australian, too! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby nickp17 » March 10th, 2008, 10:32 am

Kowbrainz wrote:And they're Australian, too! :D

Who Cares?

Spoiler!
Just kidding ;)

I'm a horrid solo guitarist. But for the most part I tell people I'm awesome, but I'll be honest with you guys ;)
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Kowbrainz » March 10th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Just means I have a better chance of being able to attend one of their concerts again, that's all. ;) :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Tompa » March 11th, 2008, 6:18 pm

I'm playing piano like... every day. Am nearly only video game music :), games like Castlevania, Super Mario serie, DKC serie, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie (Love the music from these games!) etc.

I made a lame video when I play the credits theme from A Link to the Past in the snow... Was a disaster though, at least that's what I think. Was too cold to play :D .

Harmonica is also an awesome instrument, YE YE YE!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Qyzbud » March 11th, 2008, 11:15 pm

The Banjo games had such excellent music for learning to play! I remember how happy I was when I taught myself the intro tune, the theme for Treasure Trove Cove, and the Teddy Bear's Picnic remix that was the Gruntilda's Lair soundtrack. Fond memories, great tunes! :D

Harmonica's hard... I need to play an instrument using my fingers, I think. Moving my mouth or the entire instrument (as in harmonica playing) is too tricky for me. Also, the size of it and the fact that you hold it to your mouth means that the darn thing's invisible to you while you're playing it!

By the way, Tompa, I'd like to hear any DKC/B-K music you play, if you ever record it. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tompa » March 12th, 2008, 5:41 am

Get, if you haven't already, Skype and I can play for ya :D.
Mine is Tompalala

I have only recorded one thing. I'm just too lazy to record more :/. I don't think I'm good enough to show others, oh well.

For awhile I was playing harmonica in school like everyday... Some people gave me money because I "played so nice". One teacher gave me some so I could shut up for a week. Next week I went back to get some more, good times.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby nickp17 » March 12th, 2008, 12:13 pm

I'm learning the theme to FFX now.

Should have a video on youtube in the next month. I like learning things cleanly so it takes me awhile.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 12th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Tompa wrote:Some people gave me money because I "played so nice". One teacher gave me some so I could shut up for a week.

Haha, that brought a smile to my face. :D

Might get Skype next month... my internet's at dial-up speed until then.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to Anything Goes