The Random Thoughts Topic

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Re: The Random Thoughts Topic

Postby Simion32 » March 15th, 2010, 8:48 am

Yep, looking like a full reinstall is in order. The backup to the external drive is done. I'm gonna take a short break, will tackle this mountain of a task later.

Thank heavens for ERD Commander 2005 (yeah, it's discontinued now, but whatever)... seriously, this is like the best recovery tool I've ever used. It's saved me from losing my data many a time. :ugeek:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby The Guy » March 15th, 2010, 9:39 am

I think I'll understand that more once I'm a year or two older. I'm just now too familiar with all this coding stuff...

EDIT: Wow. Twenty pages! (For me...)
Veteran Venturer

Postby Simion32 » March 16th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Eh, yuck. I just got this thing fixed far enough to use Firefox last night.

Everything I had in the My Documents folder (roughly since January 26th) was lost due to a file permissions error that ERD Commander didn't exactly make me aware of. Popped up a box saying it could not access some NTUSER.dat file so i figured it was just that file. Apparently it skipped the entire folder after it got the access error!

My nicely-organized Firefox Bookmarks are all gone (I think they're almost all still there, just a jumbled mess), along with a few rather important files like, the 3D Trampoline models, and all related Trampoline Treetops source images.

Oh boy do I have a lot of organizing to do... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » March 17th, 2010, 12:42 am

Oh man that really bytes. I hope DKCRE & DELTA are safe. Why would Apache mess up the os... virus???

Your Trampoline models and images were nice... however one good thing about redoing thinhs is they usually turn out better!

I installed a game demo in the wrong folder once by mistake. The files were fine untill I decided to uninstall it and reinstall in a different folder.... The frickin thing deleted the entire folder!!! undeleting didn't work and I was f'ing pissed. I had spent hours on 3d models... One of them I ended up re-doing from scratch and it turned out way better. :) Bad programming if you ask me.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » March 17th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Yes, NitroGUI, DELTA, and DKCRE as well as all of my other sourcecode has made it through the crash unscathed (thank heavens).

Only the folders and documents that were explicitly set to myself being the owner of the file instead of just Admins - were the files/folders that got Nuked.

It just so happens that everything in the Windows folder got lost also, probably because of a system file permission. I assume it hit one bad file and skipped everything in the entire folder.

I'll really have to be more cautious of this file copying error next time (if there is one).

I probably will not be on here for a while, as I have to continue work on the aforementioned website. AND I still have a mountain of backup procedures and organizing files to go through, and still yet there's a lot left to install.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » March 17th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Dude... I'm really sorry to hear about the crash and data loss. That's my #1 fear in daily life, and something I truly dread. After an irrecoverable information loss, I don't recover emotionally until I've reconstructed what was lost. It really sucks. :| I'm very relieved that your DKC master works have survived. You take more careful precautions with those projects than your regular data, right? I know I do with my epic creative projects.

Good luck with the recovery. Like Cyclone said, it's quite likely that anything you have to redo will end up being better - so just keep at it until your back to where you were, or beyond. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 18th, 2010, 3:41 am

Mm. That sucks, Simion, but... you still have US!

Yeah, we had to totally get rid of my old computer because of this virus I downloaded while looking for the Kim Kardashian sex tape, and everything on it was lost forever. I lost a few big video projects and such. I assume that's not what happened to you, but... I hope it helps. :cry:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby VideoViking » March 18th, 2010, 9:06 am

Ouch, ouch, ouch. Sorry to hear about the disk crash, Simion. Least your key master files are safe.

I recommend, in case you get another disk crash, that you archive the source code and other key files to a fresh backup disk. What I mean by fresh is, a brand new store-bought hard drive that hasn't been used yet. A fresh hard disk is less likely to receive a disk error. Good fresh disks are often external drives.

That reminds me - I need to do a backup.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Jomingo » March 18th, 2010, 11:29 am

Ouch, losing data's never fun. My best friend's computer just crashed today too. For some reason it won't turn on. Anyway, I've had this happen to me too many times and have essentially gone over the top to prevent myself from losing anything ever, mostly because I am continually doing work on my computer by upgrading it and/or completely overhauling it, and also because of the mass amounts of games or other files that cross my path inevitably causing problems from time to time. I'm tired of losing things, so this is what I've done to cope with this:
-My entire harddrive is backed up on an external harddrive I have.
-Many of my documents are also backed up on my laptop hard drive.
-I have tons of programs and other documents stored on discs and flash drives.
-And lastly, a lot of my documents are stored on a server that my friends and I share for this very purpose.

And all of this is done for files that are for the most part either easily replaceable or not that important either way. I do this for the sheer sake of saving myself inconvenience. I'd hate to think you'd lost some important files knowing that a lot of the stuff you've done is entirely unique. Anyway, I get the feeling I need to back up my stuff again because I haven't done it in a while and I've got this computer problem that has been a weird issue for a long time and I'm probably going to have to do something about it soon....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » March 20th, 2010, 6:08 pm

On an unrelated note, Internet Explorer 6 sucks!

I just decided I was going open my validated HTML (with linked CSS) in IE6 to see if it actually worked. Bam! The entire page disappears!

Yeah, I'm already well aware that IE6's CSS implementation is buggy. Looks like IE6 is choking on my fancy CSS layout. Going to have to hunt down whatever's messing this up (something about a "haslayout" property???).

... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby CoolStyleE » March 21st, 2010, 2:53 pm

Haven't been on for a month... working on a remix for a remix comp.

Anyways, if any of you remember Smudge, (No someone to remember) I saw him logged-in for about 2 seconds. I SWEAR! What audacity to come back after about a year. :|

Also, random .zip file of cool programs. They're all free versions, but some hard to find. Cheat Engine hacks any number in a game/program using a method that does with multiples of 8. Using it, I happened to get 99 lives in DKC2, (The emulator version, the one you play on a computer) but then I tryed 12345 lives. It crashed and corrupted. :cry: So, careful. Extractor (Demo version) finds files in groupfiles. (WAD, RIFF, etc.) I was able to rip off some wierd .form file from a .nds file. (Computer version of a DS game) Text galore! NSIS is for creating an installer. (.exe's to install programs) And, yeah. http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0c28e7/n/Programs.zip
Trainee Trekker

Postby Gnawzooka » March 21st, 2010, 7:06 pm

Simion32 wrote:On an unrelated note, Internet Explorer 6 sucks!

Eh, so what they already have IE8 and then there's FireFox.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 22nd, 2010, 12:27 am

Or, you know... GOOGLE CHROME! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby VideoViking » March 22nd, 2010, 12:10 pm

You could also try Apple Safari. Just be careful: WMV and WMA files will not work on there unless you make Windows Media Player your default media player.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Simion32 » March 23rd, 2010, 5:28 am

Speaking of which, I now have (successfully) tested the webpages in: FF2, FF3, IE6, IE7, and Safari 4. I'm just going to ignore IE8 because I don't want to bloat my nearly-clean windows installation with more Microsoft junk. Chances are if it works in IE6 and IE7 then IE8 will handle it just fine.

I finally had time to begin the file backup procedures. First in line is any massive GB+ files (a few of which are very important), then I'm organizing and backing up my development files. Right after that is music - the second heaviest data hog.

I'm using WinDirStat as a tool to get a visual of files on my external drive, to aid in tracking down duplicate groups of files.

As of right now, there's somewhere around 105GB I have left to sort (this includes duplicated files). This could take quite a while if I add in all the other stuff on my daily "plate" of things to do.

EDIT: 888th post.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » March 23rd, 2010, 10:11 am

Gnawzooka wrote:So, here I am hoping David Wise accepts my friend request on Facebook. :mrgreen:

Link please! :D
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby The Guy » March 24th, 2010, 6:56 am

This place is a couple of years old, and yet there's only 250 members. Hmmm...
Veteran Venturer

Postby Gnawzooka » March 24th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:
Gnawzooka wrote:So, here I am hoping David Wise accepts my friend request on Facebook. :mrgreen:

Link please! :D

I can't remember how I found him and I think he's declined now...
edit: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=app ... 617&ref=ts
never mind.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Simion32 » March 25th, 2010, 2:37 pm

Backup Procedures Status:
Files Remaining: 72.9GB83.4GB
-Got rid of a ton of duplicated files
-Burnt vital ISO images to disks
-Consolidated all music files
-Also consolidated all backup development files into one massive folder
-Consolidated all Camera Pictures into one folder
-Removed more duplicates
-Deleted RECYCLER folders which were hogging space
[Info Last Updated at 1:29AM Thursday 25]

>>> This will probably take until about Monday to finish if I don't hit any major roadblocks.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » March 27th, 2010, 7:35 am

Nah, way too expensive. At around $20 just per each BD-R, not to mention that a burner costs upwards of $300, there's no way I'm getting one of those yet. It'll probably be until around 2014 before these things are as common/cheap as DVD.

That given, I could fit all 21GB of my music onto a single BD-R, but I'd rather use several DVDs/CDs for it at the moment. ;)

EDIT: I plan on using some drive imaging software to make a backup of a clean XP install so that hopefully it can save time if any issues arise later.

I may also eventually replace this PC's hard drive, it's getting quite noisy and could be going down the drain sometime in the future. I probably am killing it from all the various development files (often Audio Editing). And the HDD in question is probably at least 6 years old.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Stone » March 28th, 2010, 8:49 pm

I've just read about this and I'm sorry to hear about your PC problems Simion32.
I hope your backup procedures are done soon and good luck for those!

The only thing I can do for you is recommending online backup/sync services like Dropbox, which is the one I use.

They may only give you 2 up to 3 GB of space (for free), but that should be enough for the most important things. My latest studying stuff fits in perfectly.
If you change anything in a text file inside this folder, it automaticly updates the text file online and on all PC's you've connected with Dropbox. On the website, they also keep a number of older backups in case anything goes wrong.

You can also share something if it's in the public folder, like this for example:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1872286/IMG_3264.JPG (The siamese way of recovering data from my old and broken PC)

I even changed SNES9X's savegame directory on all my PC's to be in this Dropbox folder.
Imagine: you start playing on your desktop - then you have to leave home and what do you do? Yes, of course you continue on your laptop ;)

P.S: By the way, the latest Resource Editor is looking great!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Simion32 » March 29th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Thanks! The interface was aiming to be a bit... appealing. ;)

On the topic of backup procedures, this is going to take even longer because I have been busy this weekend. I finally got all my high-quality music thrown on discs.

OGG Vorbis can do wonders, as my 21GB of HQ music (a slew of MP3s and maybe 100 or so WAVs) is only a measly 3GB (2.7GB of OGGs) when all WAVs and MP3s are compressed into OGG format (at VBR quality 0.0), and all non-music files are removed from the directory (which I also planned on doing). Now I can fit my entire music library onto a DVD and listen to them on-the-fly using my disc drive! 8-)

And now to tackle the issue of downloaded programs, of which I probably have hundreds (I'm including previously burnt discs into this part of the backup since I've never done any extensive backup of downloaded programs/installers/etc).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby CaptainEddie » April 3rd, 2010, 5:48 am

Whoa nelly....Haven't popped up here in a while.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby The Guy » April 3rd, 2010, 6:19 am

I have noticed that. Welcome back.
Veteran Venturer

Postby CaptainEddie » April 3rd, 2010, 6:23 am

Thanks. I've actually just been really busy. With a lady friend. Which ended badly. Bleck.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 3rd, 2010, 11:20 am

Mm, see, I don't really worry too much about bitches anymore. I'm not a prude or anything, I'm just steering clear of a full-fledged "relationship" for now. But I hear you, man.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Simion32 » April 5th, 2010, 6:58 am

I had to repair another computer (not mine) so there have been even more delays on getting development started up again.

I have a plan for "running" backups of my code, though. I am going to use DVD-RWs to backup DKCLB data every X amount of days depending upon how much was developed. Just throw a folder onto the disc and keep developing, then later put another folder on the same DVD, etc.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 5th, 2010, 9:51 am

Eh, just glad to hear nothing too important was destroyed. We need you, Simion. :P

And on another note: God. Dammit. I literally cannot remember the last time I played Brawl. I am so effing pissed, like, almost all of my good games are completely unplayable. Look at this:

Brawl- Laser slot problem.
Super Mario Galaxy- little brother spun the disc around in its case and it is now unplayable.
Super Sluggers- Sold by my mother for alcohol money.
My entire collection of DS games, 16 at last count: lost in moving so many times, also possibly sold for booze money. Plus the charging cord for my DS is gone.

And then my 360 is red-ringed, but I've already voided the warranty by taking it apart because the tech support dude I called said he couldn't set up an order, and the support site was glitched for my account and wouldn't let me send it in. I am so effing bored. I've been masturbating so much that my dick literally hurts, because of course the girl of my dreams just has to run off and find someone better than me. I have no idea what to do right now. If anybody's got MSN hit me up with your username, I could use a good chat with an intellectual Donkey Kong fan. And if you're not intellectual... still. Just what the f--- ever.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » April 5th, 2010, 2:24 pm

Too bad you don't have a PS3! :D

LittleBigPlanet, Fat Princess, Burnout Paradise. I could play those 3 games till the end of time and never get bored.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Jomingo » April 6th, 2010, 2:43 am

Agreed on that one, my sister has a PS3 and I love it so much. I'm definitely going to get one soon. She went through two 360's both of which red ringed and couldn't be fixed for under $150 bucks, plus she never bought live anyway. Now she has a PS3 Slim and it's great. My group of friends are divided, their are 2 who are die hard 360 fanboys who will claim to their death that the PS3 sucks, and then the rest of us have been PC gamers forever who haven't purchased either a PS3 or a 360 yet, but are strongly in support of the PS3. So me and my friend Bob are probably going to buy PS3's by May and we will play online with each other while my dumber friends play their 360's.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Guy » April 6th, 2010, 6:27 am

I own a PS3, too.
Veteran Venturer

Postby BlueTronic » April 6th, 2010, 10:20 am

So I'm not the only one then? :)

Be sure to get LittleBigPlanet: It's the best PS3 game there is. What's really cool about it is that if you have a mic, your character's mouth moves with your voice.

I even made some Donkey Kong Country songs on it. :mrgreen:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby The Guy » April 6th, 2010, 10:32 am

I have it. All I need to do is to find out how to get online, although I already tried...
Veteran Venturer

Postby BlueTronic » April 6th, 2010, 10:39 am

You have to complete the first few levels.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby The Guy » April 6th, 2010, 11:20 am

I did. I'm referring to access to the Internet in general, which I should have mentioned. I tried...
Veteran Venturer

Postby BlueTronic » April 6th, 2010, 12:07 pm

You need a router, or if your PS3 is close to your PC, you can use a wired connection.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » April 12th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Backup Procedures Status: 80% Complete
All heavily duplicated files have been deleted from the Hard Drive, and now the only repeat files remaining are (1.) backup iterations of DKCLB data and (2.) school documents.

This leaves the entire space taken up at ~30GB of data, with little left to get rid of.

But now comes the heavy-duty sorting phase - mainly I have to go through at least 20 copies of DKCLB source code to determine which are duplicated, and what should actually be kept for backup purposes. The original project data from right before the crash is to be left untouched, of course.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » April 14th, 2010, 10:20 am

Where the heck is Qyzbud?

This forum is going to be flooded with spam and bots if something isn't done to keep them out... :roll:

Currently: 777 topics!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » April 14th, 2010, 10:31 am

I sure wish we had a moderator that could lock and delete those spam topics until they can be banned by an admin, but since we don't, we'll just have to wait for Qyz. :P

EDIT: Grant Kirkhope accepted my Facebook request the day after I sent it and Dave Wise still hasn't responded. :(
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » April 14th, 2010, 10:34 am

I already got rid of them (IP Banned), problem is MORE of them are going to get in - if just those few got in, severeal more will come.

I have already PM'd Qyz though, waiting for a response. I think part of it has to do with field validation (or lack thereof, as the case may be).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » April 14th, 2010, 10:41 am

More? Aw hell no.

I too got a computer virus and now have to reformat it. I've backed up everything I need (the DKCAtlas remix project files are safe) but I'm worried that I won't be able to reactivate FLStudio. Can I reactivate it if I copy the regkey?

Hopefully I'll get a Mac, then my home can finally be Microsoft free! :mrgreen:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » April 14th, 2010, 10:45 am

I've never used FLStudio so I have no idea. I can only say, it depends upon the registration method.

Usually if the program is just being re-installed it (should) work, but some companies are greedy fools and make the software only installable once. Then again, I doubt it would impose any super-strict limits so long as it's on the same hardware... hmm.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » April 14th, 2010, 10:54 am

I'll probably be able to get FLStudio back up without many problems. What I'm really worried about is Blaze Media Pro (which Ithink I remeber you saying you have): I had it send a transfer liscense thingy to my email account before the sending my PC away for repair. I looked on my laptop, but the email wasn't there. :cry:

I still have the original validation email. They better give me another copy of BMP :x
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby VideoViking » April 15th, 2010, 7:10 am

Kong-Fu, how did you pay for Blaze Media Pro? If you paid online via PayPal, then you can contact Mystic Media for a license replacement (I am assuming the email never went through):

http://www.blazemp.com/contact.asp

Whenever something like this happens, it's always best to contact the vendor.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Simion32 » April 15th, 2010, 8:43 am

Apparently it's not enough to ban the IP of these bots, but also the user account. One of them found a way back in, so I ban-hammered the crap out of those last three advertisers.

Qyzbud will still have to clean all these bot accounts up when he gets back with some time on his hands, since I don't have the ability to do that.

EDIT:
Cleaned up the most recent bot posts. Thursday 7:01AM
I told ya there will be more of these things... arrghhh!! :x
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » April 16th, 2010, 7:50 am

All these bots are putting they're favorite animal buddy as just random animals. They're probably programmed to read the field as as "Favorite animal." Maybe Qyzbud can have the forum deny them access if the entry is not a real Animal Buddy from the DKC games, or just use a captcha. The animal buddy thing would be cool and all, but it would go off if the legit users spell "Enguarde" wrong. :lol:

Is there anything these bots have in common that you can ban them by? What all can you do as a mod?

EDIT: Qyzbud signed on this morning, but apparently didn't have time to fix the problem because the bots are still a-comin'

VideoViking wrote:Kong-Fu, how did you pay for Blaze Media Pro? If you paid online via PayPal, then you can contact Mystic Media for a license replacement (I am assuming the email never went through):

http://www.blazemp.com/contact.asp

Whenever something like this happens, it's always best to contact the vendor.

I'll try contacting them.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » April 16th, 2010, 10:39 am

Yeah, Qyzbud replied to my PM. Effectively he said that the Favourite Animal Buddy field was supposed to validate but he decided not to make it validate. He is now going to add validation, probably when he has the time.

Oh, there's more bots to ban the **** out of. Just a moment, and I'll respond to you question via an edit...

EDIT: Yeah, I can basically do everything Jomingo can (ban users, IP, or email and the usual topic delete/move/lock/etc). However, unlike Qyz I cannot outright delete users or modify any board settings (for rather obvious security reasons).

Also, I'm starting to think these bots are coming from the same general area. When some get banned they tell their buddies and the bots start flooding into the Atlas. Five new bots signed up today.... arrgghh!!! :x
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » April 16th, 2010, 11:22 am

Well it's obvious they're coming from the same place. All these bots wouldn't just show up at the same time by pure coincidence. Do they all have different e-mail address? Try e-mail banning them. While they can use an infinite number proxies, e-mail accounts (I would assume) would be more limited.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » April 16th, 2010, 11:30 am

Nah, cause there are sites that offer temporary one-day emails. They could get just as many of those.

I just got rid of an IP range they seem to originate from, hopefully that can stave some of them off until Qyz gets the validation fixed.

Of course, the only real way to keep the bots out completely is to use a captcha or some similar bot-prevention device. The bots could always be set up to throw Rambi into the animal buddy field instead of "lion" or random text.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes