DKC hacks found on the net (was "Awesome ROM hack for DKC!")

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

DKC hacks found on the net (was "Awesome ROM hack for DKC!")

Postby Kiddy14 » April 12th, 2008, 10:55 am

Well, yeah... I was navigating thorugh YT and since I always got the same video results by typing "Donkey Kong Country" or "Super Donkey Kong", I decided to translated "Super Donkey Kong" to Japanese and got this video.

Wow... just wow... any thoughts about this? Maybe Simion and chf have some since they have the DKCLB...

The hack not only has edited were to put items, it also has the terrain edited... wow, Coral Capers is even timed...

by the way, if this thread was posted in the wrong Category, please move it where it belongs =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Re: Awesome ROM hack for DKC!

Postby BlueTronic » April 12th, 2008, 11:14 am

Oh my god! :shock: How did he do that!? That must have been hard.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby nackhe » April 12th, 2008, 11:21 am

Woah, that looks both incredibly awesome and hard to play through. :shock:

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OT9EBC4Bp8

xD
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Kiddy14 » April 12th, 2008, 11:46 am

nackhe wrote:xD

That video's funny! XD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » April 12th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Excellent find, tal!

I noticed that the video poster's username has both Mario and DK's names in it, backwards... Conspiracy!?1_69

That was a rather extensive hack, to say the very least. I do wonder what techniques he/she (I'll guess... he) used to do this. I've long wanted to be able to do something like this; a DKC obstacle course challenge! Just give players a series of obstacles that require quick moves and an intelligent approach... seeing this hack makes me want the DKCLB more than ever. 8)

I like how he enabled the defeat of dormant Rockkrocs, though I personally think it would take a TNT blast to do away with such tough enemies. I thought that yellow/gold Rockkroc at the end of the Reptile Rumble rebuild was going to be something different to the others, like a boss.

Having the timer (and other minor additions) in Coral Capers was a pretty low-key hack, but it gave me an idea; what if we could set up a time-attack style mode, which uses checkpoints/objectives to give you more time? I'll find a more appropriate time/place to discuss this idea.

I'm going to move this over to the DKC Related Projects board, as it's a project related to DKC. ;)

Oh, and nackhe; the hack you posted is the hackiest hack I've ever seen. :shock:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Blaziken257 » April 12th, 2008, 12:51 pm

I was SO going to post a topic about this.

I didn't even know that hacking DKC was even possible, but one problem: It's too much like the Mario Air hack! In other words, it's so hard that you will find yourself using save states after every section. Come on! Did the first ever DKC hack have to be like THAT?

Still... O_o at some of the changes. I find it interesting that there's mine music in a cave. And there's a timer in the water stage! Weird!

Anyway, that user had a video BEFORE that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe5mM9033A0
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Kiddy14 » April 12th, 2008, 1:12 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I thought that yellow/gold Rockkroc at the end of the Reptile Rumble rebuild was going to be something different to the others, like a boss.

Having the timer (and other minor additions) in Coral Capers was a pretty low-key hack, but it gave me an idea; what if we could set up a time-attack style mode, which uses checkpoints/objectives to give you more time?

That Rokcrock at the end was probably a color glitch XD
IT would be cool to have a Time Attack in DKC! =)
Blaziken257 wrote:I didn't even know that hacking DKC was even possible, but one problem: It's too much like the Mario Air hack! In other words, it's so hard that you will find yourself using save states after every section. Come on! Did the first ever DKC hack have to be like THAT?

Still... O_o at some of the changes. I find it interesting that there's mine music in a cave. And there's a timer in the water stage! Weird!

I don't remember where, maybe in the Nintendo Powr VHS or in a picture in Google, I heared/saw that when they started doing the levels, they found it harder than thought since the a whole level as Jungle Hijinx was already taking half memory (where have I heard this? XD), so they decided to use already taken parts from levels and compile them to make a whole level, that's most likely why you get to see the same flower/tree/pattern/background in the DKC's, the game reads it and puts it in different parts...

About the music, the hacker probably changed ROM adresses in the game, most likely what was recently posted by I-don't-remember-who XD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » April 12th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Qyzbud wrote:seeing this hack makes me want the DKCLB more than ever. 8)

Now THAT'S why I'm so motivated to finish it!
talaivaneizer wrote:most likely what was recently posted by I-don't-remember-who XD

That was me, I posted all of the music addresses excluding Candy's/Funky's.

talaivaneizer wrote:Maybe Simion and chf have some since they have the DKCLB...

That is simply awesome, I wonder how he/she managed to fit that complicated of a level into Reptile Rumble. I should use some sort of flash video saver to document this. It's one level I'd like to recreate when the DKCLB gets to a decent build, but without all those weird glitches. :D

I found another not-so-great hack, these here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2whuoxOpzc0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqssWaFJBfc (harder version?)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » April 12th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Wow amazing hack. I really wish there was an editor like Lunar Magic that uses the actual game engine to make custom levels.

Simon - I am not at all criticizing you level builder so don't worry. :) But i'm curious. How is your editor going to work? The program your developing is a standalone piece of software right in that It doesn't modify the original rom? If so how come you choose to do it that way? You seem have vast knowledge in rom hacking. In any case the demos you released show great promise not to mention the PAR codes!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » April 12th, 2008, 4:00 pm

ROM hacks are great, as they have the versitility of being compatible with any system that has the relevant emulator. Heck, my phone (an old N-Gage) can play SNES games... Then there's the save/load state support, PAR codes, screenshots, all kinds of other stuff, too.

Simion and cfh are working on something that can shatter the technical limitations imposed by SNES ROMs and emulation, though.

By the way, most of Cyclone's message, and your reply (if/when you make one), Simion, should go in the DKCLB thread. But of course. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » April 12th, 2008, 4:17 pm

That hack was built within the limits of Reptile Rumble, so it would have been relatively easy for him/her to modify the level's tilemap and its object map. I could easily replicate that hack! (Heh, should I? This would be a nice thing to have an IPS of... 8-) )

I have replied to cyclone in the DKCLB topic, as Qyz sugessted.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby nackhe » April 12th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Found another hack video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AScqpAoOaFU

Not that great, but it's a funny hack :geek:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Cosmicman » April 14th, 2008, 2:04 pm

wow, can't believe my eyes, i would love to experience that hack myself
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Simion32 » April 14th, 2008, 2:20 pm

dkc4 wrote:wow, can't believe my eyes, i would love to experience that hack myself

Don't fret, once I can manage to map out Reptile Rumble, I'm going to replicate that hack and post an IPS of it here. :mrgreen:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » April 14th, 2008, 3:55 pm

I'm sure you could do a much better layout, Simion. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » April 14th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I'm sure you could do a much better layout, Simion. ;)

Hmm, indeed I could. I will still have to stay within the camera limits, though. Should I still go for an obstacle-course styled level? I want to make something a bit more original, I'll try to come up with some ideas. I wonder what he did to make dormant Rock-Crocs defeat-able?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » April 14th, 2008, 4:06 pm

Yeah, I'd say give us all an extreme challenge; an obstacle course would be great. Maybe try to design a course with a little more 'flow', though. This hack's design makes for very 'stilted' gameplay, but that's mostly just due to the difficulty, I'm sure. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby DKCplayer » May 11th, 2008, 1:43 pm

This makes me want the DKCLB come out even more... :| too bad there's no link for that hack...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Kiddy14 » May 12th, 2008, 6:24 am

But there is indeed a link! Except is no hack, is a hack maker (from what I understand =P) Check this thread! =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » May 12th, 2008, 10:04 am

Kiddy14 wrote:But there is indeed a link! Except is no hack, is a hack maker ([size=90]from what I understand =P

Err... I think DKCplayer meant that there's no link to play TKDgoraim's hack; I haven't even started on my hack or the replica of this one. I need to take a break, maybe I'll do that now. :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » May 12th, 2008, 11:06 am

Oh... yeah, I understand now, thanks Simion =)
TKDGoiram wrote something in Japanese at the beginning of the video... Wonder what it said, maybe it'll give us some clues to if there is a link or who created it...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » May 12th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:TKDGoiram wrote something in Japanese at the beginning of the video... Wonder what it said, maybe it'll give us some clues to if there is a link or who created it...

Hmm... from what I have managed to translate so far using altavista's babel fish, he said the following:

Video Description: Because it is reprinting from smile, as for question and the like please be modest. Without notice 削 there are also times when it excludes.
First screen:Very, う p it is main. << I think he's saying that "This is very cool", but I'm not sure...
Second screen:This time the ほ(...)

This is really difficult to translate even with a reference of the Japanese Kanji which I found on wikipedia... :x
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cosmicman » May 12th, 2008, 12:51 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:Oh... yeah, I understand now, thanks Simion =)
TKDGoiram wrote something in Japanese at the beginning of the video... Wonder what it said, maybe it'll give us some clues to if there is a link or who created it...

Something tells me that this mod is out there, but only available to a small community forum that speaks that language.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby DKCplayer » June 10th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:But there is indeed a link! Except is no hack, is a hack maker (from what I understand =P) Check this thread! =)

I ment the hack in the VIDEO! :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Goe » June 10th, 2008, 7:41 pm

awesome hacks....when i see this hacks, i see i am a novice doing hacks

Is awesome...when DK killed the Rock Crock i felt shocked...the golden rock crock is a cool glitch...now im going to play stop and go station and trying to kill one rock crock

About the second video...is really weird...i remember seeing it before...is cool when Rambi appears in Mine cart carnage

EDIT: in the real game, we can't kill Rock Crock with DK's hands
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » June 11th, 2008, 2:13 am

Maybe the hacker wanted to add that since in the GBA version of DKC you can hand-slap the Rock-Krocks.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » June 13th, 2008, 9:27 am

I found a Gold Mine of DKC hack videos!!! This is unbelievable! :o

I'm not sure if these are part of the "Awesome DKC Hack", but who cares!
EDIT: These videos are not all by the same author, the "Super Donkey Kong Modified" hack shows up with multiple YouTube videos from different users. This might be available somewhere... :?

Super Donkey Kong Modified, all parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AA3shaYk0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4KgVpBFNN8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayzyN1ljpEg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnn_LjUKH8Y

Jungle Hijinxs Hacks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWQaXJzOqb8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5strCGFQx5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAMRe1k06PY

Ropey Rampage Hack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGvNaRvxcU8

Rube Goldberg Level
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PayUqH3kls

Music Video ...?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF-W-NhEORk
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » June 13th, 2008, 11:35 am

OMG! This is pure gold! Simion! It's like, a buried treasure every DKC fan must want =D

I believe the videos from yamusa777 are from the Awesome DKC Hack, since his/her "Music Video" has scenes from the first part of it (like the repeteadly Rambi dying part of the song =P)

Japanese people are awesome, and yet scary at the same time O_o

EDIT: I discovered NicoNico it's actually some kind of Japanese YT. You need to register to watch videos though. Here's a tutorial I found on the net so maybe we can watch the awesome hacks they've made =D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » June 13th, 2008, 11:54 am

Arr mateys, this be buried treasure!

Kiddy14 wrote:I discovered NicoNico it's actually some kind of Japanese YT. You need to register to watch videos though. Here's a tutorial I found on the net so maybe we can watch the awesome hacks they've made =D
Yeah, I was messing around and found a site with a similar name. It is called NicoVideo Video (nicovideo.ws), and has embeded a lot of japanese videos from YouTube. I searched their site, and soon enough I found all of those vids!

This is a truly amazing hack! We should try to ask him if he can make an IPS patch so that we can all play it!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Goe » June 13th, 2008, 10:14 pm

great....really great hackers, but terrible players :mrgreen:

i'll register in niconico
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » June 14th, 2008, 10:05 am

Goe wrote:great....really great hackers, but terrible players :mrgreen:
Yeah, the person playing should really learn how to use an emulator. :roll:

A new video! Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLOYb-NCqcg
Too bad the sounds in all the videos are misaligned...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cosmicman » June 16th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Wow, those levels are :o The amount of level editing is extreme, very well done, I love what the mirrored DK's shack... Simion, hurry up :lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby DKCplayer » June 21st, 2008, 11:29 am

Simion32 wrote: This is a truly amazing hack! We should try to ask him if he can make an IPS patch so that we can all play it!

Yes... That would be awesome! =D :D

I'm starting to hack DKC too. Except not the terrain. Only the objects/enemies. =P
And I'll put a vid on Youtube about it! ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby DKCplayer » June 22nd, 2008, 3:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJUFoep8Lt4
That was fast! :D Here's my hack. 3 levels (2 levels shown)
I'm struggling because I can't find the bytes for Coral Capers. :(
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Simion32 » June 22nd, 2008, 3:36 pm

Heh, great job! I thought the token-in-a-pit prank was good. :P

DKCplayer wrote:I'm struggling because I can't find the bytes for Coral Capers. :(

I checked using the debugger, the offset for the start of the objects is 0x3DE4AA.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby DKCplayer » June 22nd, 2008, 3:45 pm

Simion32 wrote: I checked using the debugger, the offset for the start of the objects is 0x3DE4AA.

Thanks! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Re: DKC hacks found on the net (was "Awesome ROM hack for DKC!")

Postby The Guy » November 26th, 2009, 7:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQy4OSuXhk0&translated=1

Anyway, another hack level from prgmdest, this time it's one of Slime Climb.

My comment: Apparently, this hack level looks much like the original level, and I'm sure he hasn't modified the terrain much just because of the gimick, which I'm sure he also can't change how fast or when and where the water goes.

I also wonder where he got the dark background... Maybe the Japanese version of DKC2 is different than the other versions? I'm not really sure if he really can changes palletes, but his level hack of Rattle Battle was the same pallette as Pirate Panic, but I guess I'll always be intrigued by this.
Veteran Venturer

Postby DKCplayer » November 26th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Wow, prgmdest is really flying through those making those levels. I've played that hack a few days ago. prgmdest's hack is hard. Really hard. Even with savestates, which makes me feel a bit guilty for using them. It took me a bit to figure out what to do in some levels such as Mainbrace Mayhem. Some of his ideas are cool though like in Lava Lagoon (which is where I'm up to) with the DK barrels in the lava.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby The Guy » November 27th, 2009, 2:52 am

Hmmm...

Well, there was this other user on YouTube who played it and posted a video of him playing through the first three levels. (Although he only finished the first one.)
Veteran Venturer

Postby The Guy » December 15th, 2009, 7:36 am

Sorry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkQNoU7hULM

Now he can change sprites even better than ever. (i. e. Kanons that have angled shooting (Kloak sprite switch?), Klingers that can't be jumped on, and Donkey Kong as an obstacle.)
Veteran Venturer

Postby Simion32 » December 15th, 2009, 8:24 am

A technical analysis of the above video's specialty items...
The Guy wrote:Kanons that have angled shooting (Kloak sprite switch?)
Cannonball speed modification, from what I can tell. Pretty easy.
The Guy wrote:Klingers that can't be jumped on
This setting, according to my knowledge, should be a flag on each object which states whether you can safely jump on the object. Along with a pallet swap, of course.
The Guy wrote:Donkey Kong as an obstacle.
He is quite possibly using a non-level object in a level (which is DK), and with modified behavior.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » December 15th, 2009, 8:33 am

The Guy wrote:Sorry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkQNoU7hULM

Now he can change sprites even better than ever. (i. e. Kanons that have angled shooting (Kloak sprite switch?), Klingers that can't be jumped on, and Donkey Kong as an obstacle.)

Haha just started watching this. Zing Zing... that zinger sure moves fast!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby The Guy » January 15th, 2010, 9:32 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8O_Dk0HHqM

He just started with world 4. Apparently, this guy's Kudgel boss battle looked easier than the original version.
Veteran Venturer

Postby The Guy » February 8th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Sorry for the double post, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23NDIoNd9w0

Now he can edit DKC3. That's only a demo, though, so that wouldn't be in the final version of the level...

(by the way, that's some lag...)
Veteran Venturer

Postby Simion32 » February 8th, 2010, 2:57 pm

...RLE hack? It's repeating the same thing over the whole level (the terrain).

And woo am I motivated to hack DKC3 now! Been so doggone busy with school college that I lost my concentration. :(
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby The Guy » March 20th, 2010, 11:25 am

I like how he named that level after I Wanna Be The Guy.

Seriously, the levels look as hard as the levels in the game I previously mentioned.

Spoiler!
Note: My username and the name of the final boss in that game are entirely coincidental.
Veteran Venturer

Postby scatman08 » April 26th, 2010, 8:47 am

I Founded That

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfmzuucMcAQ

This Is Weird,This Man Is English En They Have A Download Link :shock:
Newcomer

Postby Scraps69 » April 26th, 2010, 10:51 am

scatman08 wrote:I Founded That

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfmzuucMcAQ

... :shock:

that's alot of zingers... I really like the music though :mrgreen:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby The Guy » May 17th, 2010, 2:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqOZwY4OdM

After a month of waiting, I can see why it took him so long to come up with the next level...
Veteran Venturer

Next

Return to ROM Hacks