Yoshi's Island hates me

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Yoshi's Island hates me

Postby Stone » May 4th, 2008, 7:24 pm

I really like the game, but I've given up completing all levels with 100%.
"Why that?", you ask. No, I'm not such a bad player, it has another reason.

It's because my cartridge sucks. I at least had 100 Points in every level one time in the last years.
But everytime I got 2-4 worlds complete with 100%, there is a chance that my game is going to glitch up the save files for no reason.
If that happens, the game asks for choosing language on next start up, something that should only happen if you have a "virgin" cartridge.

I first thought it was a battery problem, but the battery works fine. I haven't played it the last 3 years, but the files are still there.

I have made a video one time it glitched up, if I'll find it, I can give you some screenshots...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Re: Yoshi's Island hates me

Postby Kiddy14 » May 5th, 2008, 11:25 am

That sometimes happens to me with DKC. Files should get erased. I've never seen a saved file glitched-up though, except for that DKC3 thread.
Yeah... I would get really angry :evil:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Blaziken257 » May 5th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Maybe you have a bootleg?

(Here I go again obsessing with bootlegs...)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Stone » May 6th, 2008, 12:23 am

A bootleg? It should be the original if you' ve buyed it first hand from germanys best-known computer shop :)

A little bit more information what happens after choosing language again and some pics:

After choosing language and intro you see Yoshi's Island. If I press START, the save file selection should appear, but the screen gets totally glitched up and luckily file selection works despite the screen is totally messed up.
Next is the map selection (first screenshot), but you can only chose the first level. After the glitched up level name SÔ, the game appears to be normal, but only if you don't press START because the pause screen glitches well :roll:

The next things that happen will freeze the game:
The first time you get hit by an enemy, you'll get a text-box that explains what to do, but now it just opens and closes itself immediately!
Now you can play a bit further, but the next box that appears cannot be closed, you have to reset.

On next start there are no safe-files, but all the glitches are gone, too. Until I try to get 100% again. (And I won't try) :cry:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Metroixer » May 13th, 2008, 11:26 am

I would say that it might be age, but that would basically be saying the battery theory again. Has the cartridge suffered any damage?
Tourist

Postby Stone » May 13th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Öhmm, those glitches happened a while ago, so I don't know if it happened before our house burned or after that. Maybe it got some extinguishing water, but then many of my games could and should suffer from that.
I think it happened before, too, because I'm sure I started getting 100% everywhere after completing the game with any-%.
And no other game does such things. F-Zero got so dirty that it freezes almost everytime you touch it while playing.

Mhh, Yoshi's Island doesn't look bad, look at the Tetris Attack cartridge :shock: . Perfect Dark is unharmed, it came out after my Nintendo magazines were burnt.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Metroixer » May 14th, 2008, 9:59 am

Well, the only other explanation I could think of is that your cartridge is simply somehow inferior to others. I still have my Yoshi's Island, had it for more than ten years, and it still works. Although it suffers the problem your F-Zero cart does (Touching the cartridge during game time makes it glitched up).
Tourist

Postby S.T. BUGMAN III » May 14th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Are you using the reset button?

A couple of games I've played on the SNES would lose data when I did.
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby SLY JO » October 26th, 2008, 5:12 pm

I'm currently trying to 100% Yoshi's Island again at the moment (my saves were erased :( )
Trying to 100% Kamek's Revenge (extra level in world 5). Got 99%, missed a red coin on the skiing part.

I wouldn't dare go near my console if it was running, just a slight knock glitches everything up.
Trainee Trekker

Postby PotoGamer » October 27th, 2008, 5:09 am

Well, I've been having SEVERE problems with my Yoshi's Island game catridge, because when I turn my SNES on, only the Nintendo Logo appears, and then a blank screen appears. RARELY, it gets a bit after the Nintendo Logo, and then it plays part of when the story is explained, and then it freezes and makes an ANNOYING high pitched sound and displays garbled sprites. I did my classic blowing trick, and then I did the popular rubbing a Q-tip with a bit of alcohol around the bottom part of the game catridge trick. For some reason, I've seen a huge amount of people with non-working Yoshi's Island catridges, so it might have to do with the Super FX 2 chip inside the catridge, since all of my other SNES games work perfectly. I also have ANOTHER Yoshi's Island catridge, and that one works okay, until you save and when you turn your SNES on, chances are it'll get erased. However, I don't think this certain problem only happens with YI, since my Super Mario RPG catridge got erased one time when we loaded the game. (and we were about to beat Smithy... :( )
Trailblazer

Postby Stone » October 27th, 2008, 7:50 pm

I may start getting 100% on every level again, but on emulator. I would throw my YI cartridge out of the window, if it would glitch up my 100% saves again.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby SLY JO » October 28th, 2008, 3:49 pm

Stone wrote:I may start getting 100% on every level again, but on emulator. I would throw my YI cartridge out of the window, if it would glitch up my 100% saves again.

Got 100% completion last night ;)
Trainee Trekker

Postby Stone » November 1st, 2008, 4:18 am

Kongratulations! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Shadow » November 3rd, 2009, 12:44 am

Quote removed by Moderator: Please refrain from quoting entire posts.

Holy cow :shock: That's...interesting. I've never seen anything glitchier than that. :O
Tourist

Postby diddykong15 » November 25th, 2009, 8:43 am

usually i just want to beat it :lol: ,i love to fight babay bowser every time :mrgreen:
Newcomer

Postby Markster » August 20th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Your cartridge might be dirty.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Return to Gaming Discussion