What did you like best about DKC3?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the DKC3 Port (GBA) subforum.

What did you like best about DKC3?

Postby Rodent » August 29th, 2008, 10:25 am

Well, yeah, the title explains it all. I'll go ahead and make 3 seperate threads if they havn't been done.

The best part of DKC3 for me was the way that Kiddy and Dixie were both different and had different abilities. It added a whole new level of gameplay for me. Another part I liked was the inclusion of water in more of the levels. In the old games, there was only water in the water themed levels. In this one, levels could be a whole mix which created another mood for me and made the overall experience higher. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Re: What did you like best about DKC3?

Postby Kiddy14 » August 29th, 2008, 11:39 am

I liked the return of the "big monkey, small monkey" thing that was in DKC. Plus the changes to team-up. In DKC2 both kongs did the same when tagged, reach higher places or kill =P Here only Kiddy can reach higher places, and Dixie destroy weak floors.
The "freedom" in the map. In DKC1&2, you couldn't go to another world without Funky Kong, here you just go out and voilà!, in the world map =)
RPG elements, in the other games was just... go through levels, save, visit kongs, beat boss... go to the next world. Here is... go through levels, save, visit bears and get items, beat boss and get item, give item to Funky, get best vehicle, access previously unavailable areas and give the item to another bear, go through levels, get item... and blah blah blah :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Gnawzooka » August 29th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Well, I finally played this recently on ZSNES, and not only do I not like it as much as the previous games....I don't really like it at all. :? In fact, what you liked about the game are things I don't. :shock: I didn't really like the map, especially the swimming. I've found the breaking weak floors to be rather annoying, and I think the rPG elements are silly, because, well, it's not an RPG.
Also, about what Rodent said about the water levels, there was more than just water in the water levels in DKC2. :|
Oh, and one minor thing that doesn't matter about Kiddy's post that I'll point out anyway: I'm pretty sure neither Dixie nor Kiddy are actually monkeys, or they'd have tails.
Anyway...that's what i 'liked' (or lack thereof) about DKC3.
*awaits tomato throwing*
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Kiddy14 » August 29th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Gnawzooka wrote:Oh, and one minor thing that doesn't matter about Kiddy's post that I'll point out anyway: I'm pretty sure neither Dixie nor Kiddy are actually monkeys, or they'd have tails.

Oh well... it was kind of "big kong, small kong", monkey is a rather used term for the kongs, but is not correct as you say xD
Gnawzooka wrote:*awaits tomato throwing*

Hey! It's your opinion about the game... I disagree, but that doesn't mean I'll start (or anybody) to say things against you or start a discussion ;) I understand why this game is so underrated... the "new" things were a radical change and many people wasn't ready for them... and by the time DK64 was sold people were expecting changes because of the 3D graphics. It's just like me, I don't like DKC2's music as much as DKC's, but many people do...
I think I like giving things and people opportunities, and they usually get well, just like DKC3.
Believe me, when I first tried DKC3 in the emulator I was confused, but I quickly got "into" the game. I thought the swimming part was cool, you now could really explore the areas. I remember when I first got DKC, I wanted to enter the lake in Kongo Jungle but I couldn't move the kongs, in DKC3 I could =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Gnawzooka » August 29th, 2008, 3:39 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:
Gnawzooka wrote:Oh, and one minor thing that doesn't matter about Kiddy's post that I'll point out anyway: I'm pretty sure neither Dixie nor Kiddy are actually monkeys, or they'd have tails.

Oh well... it was kind of "big kong, small kong", monkey is a rather used term for the kongs, but is not correct as you say xD

Yeah I know, I'm just a little pedantic. :lol:
Another thing I don't like is the end of level thing where you pull down the flag. The victory dances were so cool.
Oh, and although I did like the big kong-little kong set-up, I think tehy should've had Donkey again.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Swing King » August 30th, 2008, 12:08 pm

I could go on forever, but I'll just say Kiddy Kong and get some shut eye. 7 posts is enough for one day. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby whitepony » August 30th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Yep, next to lanky, kiddy is my favorite kong. I dont think that theres a level that i dislike in this game and i love the world map hub kinda thing. I love the tobbagan levels and the cliff levels. I love the amount of collecting that has to be done and it had the best K. Rool fight. yeah its probably the best game ever. ;)
Newcomer

Postby SLY JO » October 30th, 2008, 3:57 pm

I liked the RPG elements, added more complexity to the story.
Trainee Trekker

Postby LOLSpark » November 24th, 2008, 6:26 pm

I liked the music, especially Nuts and Bolts (factory levels), the vehicles you can ride, and the Banana Bird caves.
Newcomer

Postby Rodent » November 24th, 2008, 11:10 pm

SLY JO wrote:I liked the RPG elements, added more complexity to the story.

Hey, it was a pretty full on story.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby PotoGamer » November 25th, 2008, 5:47 am

Yeah, the RPG elements make the game really fun and give you something to do when you get tired of doing the same thing. I also like the creativeness of the levels and how they're very different from one another!
Trailblazer

Postby neekerisanni123 » December 6th, 2008, 3:56 am

I like the level musics alot,especially the music in water levels and music of the levels Low-g Labyrinth,Poisonous Pipeline and Rocket Rush. :mrgreen:
Tourist

Postby DKC » April 28th, 2009, 10:14 pm

I really enjoyed all the little side quests, they were awesome. I also liked the world map and the lost world... so good. Also, Rodent, are you from Adelaide? I am. :)
DKC
Newcomer

Postby Katastrophe Kong » May 22nd, 2009, 1:42 am

Same here, the side quests were fun. Just the fact that there was another DKC was good enough for me. If you notice the music kinda has a babyish sound to it, it fits Kiddy's mood well.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby old_buzzard » May 25th, 2009, 4:16 am

Not really. The only songs in DKC3 that sounded babyish were Stilt Village and the game over jingle. Unless I'm forgetting any other songs.
Tourist

Postby Katastrophe Kong » May 25th, 2009, 5:49 am

Well to me most of the songs do, in my opinion.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby scigamerfan07 » July 27th, 2009, 3:28 pm

I liked the music, the gameplay, the levels, almost everything the same. But the best part for me was the first ENDING, when DK and Diddy are rescued and for the first and only time, all four kongs where on the screen. That part made so so excited, I can't describe it. After watching that part, I have always wanted a DKC4 with all the four kongs playable.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby clntgn » September 30th, 2009, 4:26 pm

I think my last post was for the wrong board, but while I'm editing I might as well contribute.

I really enjoyed the semi-non-linearity, and the fact that every level was a completely new idea (although I wish they would have more seamlessly integrated all the new ideas in other levels.
Tourist

Postby cranky_martinez » October 10th, 2009, 3:37 am

I like all about this game, even Rocket "nightmare" Rush. :lol:

In my opinion, the best game in the saga DKC. The other ones are both pretty good too, but this one reminds me of good times.
Newcomer

Postby Yure16 » December 2nd, 2009, 12:27 am

Hot Pursuit (music). I like a few musics in DKC3. Water World, Hot Pursuit, Rockface Rumble... and so... just it.
Tourist

Postby nickduffy27 » March 30th, 2010, 10:35 am

I honestly don't know where to start. Once I got Lake Orangatanga out of the way I was blown away. Look at the graphics of some of the levels. Like the exit to the water stages (Buzzer Barrage is included as well as others), look at Konveyor Rope Klash, the game is so amazing when it comes to graphics. In all of the DKC games especially the 2nd and 3rd, the music and level makes me feel as if I am in the enviorment I am playing it.

The boss battles were great too. Belcha, Arich, you name it, they all were fun to play. Except Barbos. I seriously hated this boss like it was a passion. I think DKC3 is amazing in almost every aspect except for the storyline.
Tourist

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 5th, 2010, 1:48 pm

I just liked the atmosphere, the bizarreness of the whole thing... for some reason, Rare was able to make us suspend our disbelief enough to make DKC2 downright realistic, but get to DKC3, and it's a whole different ballpark. Bears talk to you like they're human beings! (Which isn't that different from monkeys, but still.) On the other side of that, you can still see all the environment from DKC3 existing in the real world, namely the cliff/snow/marshy levels.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Ribbedebie » January 2nd, 2011, 1:06 am

Sorry for this massive bump but I just had to share my thoughts.

The one thing I like best about DKC3 is the whole atmosphere, and all the levels and their archetypes. Why? It reminds me of Europe, the continent which I live in. A lot of deciduous forests, cliffs, snow, lakes, and whatnot... and the music sounds exactly like the kind of stuff you'd hear in such places.. if they had music.

also, a couple of years ago I went on vacation to Lac de Saint Croix. Or something. And guess what? I was immediately reminded of the lake levels in DKC3 (even though there were no stilt villages). I almost felt like I was on holiday in Lake Orangatanga. :P

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii20 ... 008559.jpg

I mean seriously... that's just too big a coincidence.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Mayo » January 4th, 2011, 12:15 pm

The crazy Bosses
The unique level designs
Water levels even more purdy
Reintroduction of 'weight class'
Using different ecosystems in comparison to DKC and DKC2
The Pipe levels
the MERRY, COLOR, and TUFST code
Swanky Kong's sideshow
And the ending was cool (SNES, not GBA)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby SimianSegue » May 23rd, 2011, 1:09 am

I really loved the song Dixie Beat, which itself is a remix of Bonus Room Blitz from DKC. I loved the DKC3 music in general! I also loved the the balance of powers between Kiddy and Dixie. One of my favorite things about DKC3 was the setting. I loved the lakeside levels and I imagine their shimmering waters whenever I go on vacation. I do not like the fact that Funky isn't airboarding anymore....but I digress. I used to hate DKC3 for no apparent reason! But once I finally played it, I realized that this game is GOLDEN!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 4

Postby Markster » May 23rd, 2011, 2:39 pm

new map screens, more levels, more graphics, more secrets, more helpers, more minigames, more DKC1 references, etc.
Enough said, DKC3 will ALWAYS be one of the best SNES games ever made, to bad they ruined it on the GBA with, less graphics, less music, less gameplay, etc., gba version sucks compared to snes, but anyways the only thing i really did not like about DKC3 is the scary error message, SDK3 did not have a scary error screen, although it did have a error screen, but that's not the point, DKC3 kicked a**!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Chibisai Kong » May 23rd, 2011, 2:56 pm

To tell the truth I didn't really understand anything in the game other than why there were talking bears.

Spoiler!
"Talking other animals means talking bears..."
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby krematoa » August 26th, 2011, 11:09 am

The graphics were much better and some levels were amazing. Finding all the secrets was much easier because the flags were telling you what was missing in a level. The puzzle phases were a nice addition to the game and the monkey collaboration was a great way to add more hidden bonuses.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby MadcapTech » March 24th, 2012, 3:30 pm

For me, it was the variation of the worlds and levels. While DKC2 still has my favorite levels, DKC3 had a lot more variation it seems.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Glimmer » April 20th, 2012, 10:57 am

Despite the fact that DKC3 is my least favorite game of the trilogy, I have to agree with MadcapTech, the variety of the worlds and levels was a very good element. Other things i particularly liked: all the dock levels, the music in cliff levels, competing with Cranky in Swanky's Tent, the clever concepts in some levels such as Poisonous Pipeline, Low G Labyrinth, Rocket Rush, Fish Food Frenzy. Now, i know i'm in the vast minority here, but for me it was fun feeding Nibbla! (although i have to admit sometimes he does bite :lol: ).
Tourist

Postby Super Luigi! » April 20th, 2012, 12:20 pm

The level variety was great, but I really loved all the water in the game. It is so blue and clear.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Glimmer » April 21st, 2012, 10:05 am

I agree with you, the water depiction was really good, i enjoyed most of the underwater levels in the game. My only objection is the gloomy music theme. In my opinion, they should have selected a more jolly theme for these levels.
Tourist

Postby InkaDinkaDoo » January 8th, 2014, 8:41 am

I liked everything, really! Donkey Kong Country 3 is, by far, my FAVORITE Donkey Kong game. I wish Kiddy Kong makes a return some day... :kiddycool:
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Postby Markster » January 26th, 2014, 11:11 pm

It's too bad Kiddy didn't appear in DKC:TF, only Cranky Kong... :kiddysad:

Spoiler!
Shut up, you know I'm better than Kiddy Kong! :rant:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Return to Donkey Kong Country 3