SNES, GBC, or GBA?

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

SNES, GBC, or GBA?

SNES
68%
GBC
5%
GBA
6%
They are all great
20%
They all stink
1%

Total votes : 80

SNES, GBC, or GBA?

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 24th, 2008, 3:38 pm

Which system of the DKC's do you like best? Feel free to post your reason why.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Re: SNES, GBC, or GBA?

Postby Simion32 » July 24th, 2008, 5:34 pm

Obviously the original SNES version. I'll take the higher quality graphics over the GBA's extra game play features.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Stone » July 25th, 2008, 12:10 am

And some extra features can be easily added in Delta, can't they? ;)
Until that happenes, I prefer the SNES versions.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 25th, 2008, 2:06 am

I'm not quite sure which one is best myself. GBC is out, but I have DKC1 on the VC, and I have the other two on GBA, I did watch videos on the SNES versions, and I do like the quality better. I also know that the SNES versions are the only versions that have two-player contest in them. Perhaps I should sell my DKC2 GBA and by old Game Boy Advance, (I have a DS, so what's the point) and then buy DKC2-3 on the VC? May I please have some Recomendations (sp?)?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 25th, 2008, 3:42 am

I would get the VC ones. I just like having it on the big screen, a GBA screen has much worse quality.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » July 25th, 2008, 8:05 am

Wow, though choice... emmm... I guess are all great! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 25th, 2008, 10:24 am

Jomingo wrote:I would get the VC ones. I just like having it on the big screen, a GBA screen has much worse quality.

Thanks for the opinion! The advantages of GBA for DKC2 is it's portable, it contains bonus games (Expresso Racing, Funky's Flights, Bag a Bug, and Diddy's Dash), there is one extra boss that replaces Stronghold Showdown, and you can also collect feathers for Expresso Racing, (In the SNES version, is there something else replacing the feathers?) In DKC3, the game is portable, there is an extra world and boss, Swanky's game is replaced (I liked the SNES' game for Swanky better), and Funky and Cranky have they're games. You can also fly and save whenever you want to in the GBA versions, but I like challenges better. The bad things about the GBA, is that it has worse quality, you have to focus and a tiny screen, it doesn't have two-player contest, and well, I just like playing with a SNES controller better for some odd reason. I also heard that the sound is much better on the SNES. The thing that gets me are the extra levels and bosses though. I do have 800 wii points right now, which should I get, DKC2 or 3?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 25th, 2008, 10:32 am

DKC2. It is a much more challenging yet fun experience, with better environments and bosses. DKC3 is fun, but a lot different from the other two. The levels and new characters are more cartoony, too. I really like both of them, but if I had to choose it would definately be DKC2.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 25th, 2008, 10:47 am

Thanks again! I also remembered that in the GBA version of DKC2, you need to pay 10 banana coins to fight the bosses again, and if you beat the time, you get 6 lives, I actually consider this a DIS-advantage, because even though I get 6 lives, you can save whenever you get game over, another thing that makes SNES more of a challenge compared to the GBA. Anyways, I'll just buy DKC2 off the VC, if I like it better than GBA, that's great. I might sell my GBA version, unless I get a second-thought on the added content. If I don't like it, well to bad, I might as well write to Nintendo if we can get the option to trade in the VC games to get the wii points back, (Nintendo gets the money when you get the wii points, so why not let you trade back in your games?) I do have 40$ or so in my bank, if I like DKC2, I might as well get DKC3 also.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 26th, 2008, 7:16 am

I just bought DKC2 on the VC earlier today, so far I think it's better. It's more challenging then the GBA version in my opinion. Kudgel and King Zing were much more difficult. I also lost half of my lives on Hornet Hole, and the other half on the vine level in Krazy Kremland. I made it to Web Woods, and I haven't even done 2-player yet.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby CaptainEddie » July 28th, 2008, 8:32 am

I liked the original SNES version because of better graphics, easier controls, and frankly, better sound effects.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 29th, 2008, 1:25 am

Is this on the Donkey Kong Country board? My mistake, could a moderator/admin move this board to General DKC Discussion?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » July 29th, 2008, 1:48 am

Gamer_boy, if you are comparing the various ports of the original DKC, I can't see how this thread could be better placed. The General DKC Discussion board covers the trilogy, but as this thread is all about numero uno in the series (no others had a GBC release, as far as I'm aware), I think it belongs in the DKC board.

My opinion is obvious: SNES, all the way.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 29th, 2008, 1:50 am

Actually, I remember seeing a DKC2 game pack for GBC in a store, DKC3 I'm not sure about though...
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 29th, 2008, 1:54 am

Sorry, but no. Only the original DKC is on Game Boy Color. Donkey Kong Land III did come out on color, but I think only in Japan.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 31st, 2008, 3:48 pm

Oh well, I guess it was a figment of my imagination, this thread can stay here.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DKCplayer » July 31st, 2008, 4:45 pm

CaptainEddie wrote:I liked the original SNES version because of better graphics, easier controls, and frankly, better sound effects.

... what CaptainEddie said. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby DK4Ever » July 31st, 2008, 5:01 pm

Oh my god, SNES

Better graphics, better control, better everything. The mini-games were just mindless anyway.

Plus, SNES had two-player contest, so....
Treasure Hunter

Postby FunkyKong » August 1st, 2008, 2:17 pm

Ive never played DKC on the SNES just on GBC and GBASP
Trainee Trekker

Postby Simion32 » August 1st, 2008, 3:41 pm

You really should play it on SNES, or at least an SNES emulator. It looks worlds better than the GBA does, and the music also is better.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Rodent » August 1st, 2008, 8:58 pm

I've never played the GBC one, but I can't imagine it being better than the other two. I like the portability of the GBA one, but the SNES one has superior music and graphics. The music is a huge bonus for the SNES side, but already having the trilogy on GBA means I won't shell out 2400 Wii Points for better music.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby BlueTronic » August 2nd, 2008, 1:56 am

SNES >>>> GBA > GBC
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby CaptainEddie » August 2nd, 2008, 3:04 am

I hate the GBA version because Donkey seems slower and jumps lower. I had a heck of a time in Millstone Mayhem, an easy level on the original.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 19th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Honestly, I have never played the GBA or GBC version of DKC. I have the SNES version of DKC1 and 2, and the GBA version of DKC2 and 3, I'm thinking about getting DKC3 on VC soon.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DonkeyKong » August 23rd, 2008, 4:52 am

I started playing it on the GBC, but then I sold it for the GBA version. Now I also got the SNES ver on an emulator. I'd have to go with the snes one for better louder sound, and bigger screen.
Tourist

Postby NS Guy » September 17th, 2008, 7:38 am

They're all great! The SNES version is great because of its better graphics and sound, and the GBA and GBC versions have added features.
Tourist

Postby Swing King » September 17th, 2008, 7:41 am

They are all awesome!
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Katastrophe Kong » April 19th, 2009, 2:32 am

They're all great, but...

The SNES version was a classic, but the GBA version had EXTRA features. I liked the scrapbook idea, they should've put it in DKC3 for GBA. I loved Funky's Fishing, its so addictive :) . The only things I know about GBC is that there are more minigames, and theres a cow stuck in the ice.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby BigDonkey101 » April 23rd, 2009, 4:24 pm

I think the SNES version is the best version of DKC.
The Game Boy versions of the game are harder to see, especially the GBC version where the enemies tend to blend in with the background more.
Tourist

Postby .:Shadow:. » July 20th, 2009, 2:15 am

Snes is the best.
Newcomer

Postby FranticFactory64 » September 1st, 2009, 1:35 pm

I voted GBC because, well, someone has to support it. I liked this version because it felt more like a port than the GBA version did. I thought the GBA version added too many unnecessary extras, like the extra dialogue at the beginning of the game and after the boss fights. The only major difference seems to be the addition of two bonus games, Funky Fishing and Crosshair Cranky, which are both great, and a couple of missing warp barrels (which I don't use anyway). The SNES version is still one of the greatest games ever made, but the GBC version has the advantage of being portable. Most of the songs in the original game were cut shorter and lower in quality, but what can you expect from a GBC game? :D The only major downsides to this port besides the cut in quality are that the way the characters move takes some getting used to (it's a bit faster), there is occasionally some slow down when too many things are on the screen at once, and this version has different (but similar) music for Gangplank Galleon.

I didn't vote for the GBA version because it felt more like a remake with all of the changes. Many of the sound effects (such as an enemy dying) and graphics were changed, including the backgrounds (which were made lighter), the colors of enemies (changed to stand out from the background), and some of the sprites. The GBC version kept all of these the same, for the most part, and managed to add four additional languages.

To conclude: DKC GBC FTW :lol: Seriously though, this port seems a bit underrated.
Tourist

Postby GladiatorGr » January 27th, 2010, 8:01 am

BEST console for DKC period...!!! SNES!!!
Tourist

Postby neekerisanni123 » May 28th, 2010, 3:22 am

CaptainEddie wrote:I liked the original SNES version because of better graphics, easier controls, and frankly, better sound effects.

This. :mrgreen:

Snes wins, hands down.
Tourist

Postby old_buzzard » June 6th, 2010, 11:40 pm

All versions are fantastic, but, like most people here, I think the original SNES version is the best.
Tourist

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 6th, 2010, 2:20 am

So, you're all gonna think I'm crazy for this, but... I might say GBA. It adds a lot of stuff, it's portable, etc. I just liked it.

:?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby DK4Ever » July 6th, 2010, 3:20 pm

I prefer the SNES version just because it's the original, and has an overall better feel to it. The GBA version was good, and it had alot of nice added stuff (Obviously portability, and I liked collecting those Cameras)

Personally I'm glad no one has picked the "They all stink" option yet, since, well, if you did..why are you here?
Treasure Hunter

Postby Markster » August 11th, 2010, 6:09 am

I like the GBA and GBC versions, but the SNES one is the best.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby CrankyMan » September 5th, 2010, 3:07 am

SNES is great. GBA version had too bright graphics and too bad sound.
Tourist

Postby Ribbedebie » September 23rd, 2010, 12:51 am

Definitely SNES. It has a special kind of charm that the portables don't have.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Krow111 » September 29th, 2010, 9:34 am

SNES because of its better graphics, sound effects, and, most importantly, better music. :D
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Phyreburnz » September 29th, 2010, 12:05 pm

SNES all the way! It's the game that made me fall in love with Super Nintendo! I would NEVER get rid of the cartridge, even if I didn't have a snes anymore!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby HavocReaper48 » October 12th, 2010, 11:30 am

The SNES version is the most epic game on the system, and one of the best games I have ever played. It was literally the first game I go into as a child, and I still have it. Ah, memories of being stuck at Gorilla Glacier, navigating poisonous water levels, and the (at the time) difficult beaver boss with the wacky laugh. GUH-HUH-HUH-HUH....

Nowadays, though, having the GBA version, it's a close call. I prefer SNES of course but the GBA will be close by. I have only played the GBC via online versions but I'd like to get the real thing myself before I make any major decisions on it.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Krow111 » October 27th, 2010, 11:54 am

SNES by far. I do like the GBA's extra features like Funky's Fishing and Candy's Dance Studio, but the original is just better overall.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby KingBrett » November 8th, 2011, 8:19 am

Definitely the SNES, it takes me back to when I sucked at the game when I was younger. :P But now I'm more experienced at it, but the GBC version sucks especially when you fight King K. Rool. The GBA version is good but it can never top the Klassic SNES version even if there weren't any extra features.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby nintendobarn » November 10th, 2011, 3:15 am

My vote goes to the snes version. Enjoyed some of the new features in the GBA version like hero mode but the mini games are all rather dull in my opinion. Can´t stand the GBC version, bought it a while back and played through it but the controls are so freakin bad that it just makes me angry. The fluent and fast gameplay that is DKC is just lost in that horrible horrible port.
Tourist
Bananas received 11

Postby Kimi Kong » November 10th, 2011, 3:23 am

:D Simple. SNES cause it's classic.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Mayo » December 15th, 2011, 1:48 pm

SNES by far, the sound and visuals are unparralleled in comparison to the hand held counterparts.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby The Banana Bird » December 16th, 2011, 9:39 am

They are all equally fun games. SNES has its advantages, but I couldn't just leave the GBA hanging. My order? SNES>GBA>GBC (I don't really care for the GBC)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Gaz » December 29th, 2011, 9:32 am

Game Boy Color version. TOTALLY!!!! I love its bright graphics, was my third game I obtained, etc. Also, I love its minigame and Necky's Nutmare edition.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Next

Return to Donkey Kong Country