Does anyone else think Nintendo is going down hill?

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Does anyone else think Nintendo is going down hill?

Postby gamer_boy997 » April 11th, 2009, 1:04 pm

I am a huge fan of Nintendo, but I'm starting to lose hope. If you ask me, the only good games of Nintendo released since the beginning of 2008 are Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (9/10), Wario Land: Shake It! (8/10), Super Mario Sluggers (8.5/10), Mario Kart Wii (8/10) and Animal Crossing: City Folk (8/10), with Super Smash Brothers: Brawl being the only good GOOD one. Yup, that's it, not even a single DS game that's been in my anxiety, (some of you might like Pokemon: Platium though). However, a good upcoming DS game is M&L: 3, I'm pretty sure that should be good. Still though, Nintendo usually does better than this.

According to the pattern of previous handhelds, a new one gets released every 3 years. DS was released in 2004, we are in 2009 now, and not a single announcement on an upcoming handheld. The DS Lite and the DSi were released, but they play the same games the DS does, so I don't consider it a brand new handheld, (it's like the GBA to GBASP upgrade). The DSi disappoints me, it's a DS with music, cameras, and an SD card slot. The GBA slot is lost, and I heard the DSi has less battery :lol: .

The NES, SNES, and the N64 generations were the days. The Gamecube was pretty good too. Then the Wii, which is also pretty good with it's movement feature, but it's not quite as good as the previous consoles. Don't get me wrong though, the Wii Menu, Wii Shop Channel, Mii's, etc. are nice, but... the games... there's just something slightly wrong with them... Lately, I have been depending on older games, literally. I'm playing Pikmin 2, I used the VC alot (one of the good things about the Wii ;) ), and I even broke out my SNES!

To round it all up, my only hope for all of this is if Nintendo is working on something really, REALLY, amazing, and is keeping it top secret for now.

So, I'm not quitting Nintendo or anything like that, atleast, not in a few years as long as they don't drop nearly all the way :lol: . However, I used to like Nintendo much more than this is all, does anyone feel the same as me?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Re: Does anyone else think Nintendo is going down hill?

Postby PotoGamer » April 11th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Yeah, the SNES years were awesome and the Nintendo 64 was full of great 3D adventures. The GB series had many addictive games. Even the Gamecube had some of my favorite games! But now they're focusing more on the audience of 6 year-old kids who play anything that has minigames on it.

And everytime I go check Wii and Nintendo DS games, it's actually frustrating to pick a good game. And I've had lots of hyped games (like Sonic and the Secret Rings or Mario Party 8) that I've sold because of how bad they are. And they keep making pointless DSs that are exactly the same. I think they're worried about making the DS thinner instead making a NEW console.

At least I have my favorite game system to play on: the SNES.
Trailblazer

Postby Sockpuppet » April 11th, 2009, 3:31 pm

It's because people like us are heavily outnumbered by "casual gamers." Because there's more of them, that's who Nintendo make games for.
But for some reason games like Zelda are becoming a lot less enjoyable as well. Twilight Princess was just alright. Not amazing like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, A Link to the Past etc. Just average. Same goes for Phantom Hourglass, my least favorite of the Zelda games.
Another reason Nintendo games aren't as good anymore is because Microsoft now has Rare. Rare games were always amazing. Now we no longer have Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini etc. And we don't have REAL Donkey Kong Games...
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby DK4Ever » April 11th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Yep, they're going downhill.

Oh, and I believe you left out Mario Kart Wii on your list, GB.

How long have I known this? Since E3 08', with Cammy Dunaway..who needs to hang, by the way, for being the poster-chick of the casuals. "I finally beat one game on my own and I love Puppies..doesnt that make Nintendo awesome?"

Or my personal favorite... "What games do you have showing up for the hardcore fans in the next year?" ......"Keep playing Smash bros, keep playing Mario Kart"..

That's the response she gave us. She, who holds alot of sway at Nintendo, giving the hardcore, true fans this trough-fed answer, and Miyamoto sat there wrapped up in his ever-so-amazing Wii Music, which also got great remarks "If Wii Music has no score, goal or Direction, isn't it more of a toy than a game?" Miyamoto - "Oh yes, and that's what makes it better than a game"

WHAT!?! I almost...almost died when I heard him say this, Miyamoto, Mr. Nintendo, telling me that my calling was second to his toy? Rawwrgrgrrlrlrl!!

I've come to expect nothing from Nintendo, I'll pick up remakes occasionally (Superstar Ultra, Pikmin on the wii (I had to try it), but apart from that...there's nothing to look forward to, although I hope I'm proven wrong.

Kudos to you Nintendo...you've driven away a lifelong fan...
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 12th, 2009, 12:35 am

Dude, the entire gaming industry is going downhill. After Tooie XBLA, I'm done. 'Twas fun while it lasted.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby gamer_boy997 » April 12th, 2009, 2:20 am

@DK4Ever: Added MKWii :D . Also, one good thing at E3 was that Miyamoto said, "We're making Pikmin" and Cammy Dunaway confirmed with something like, "It's NOT the remakes Miyamoto refered to, Miyamoto refered to a new pikmin", so... we can confirm a Pikmin 3 :D .

@Tiptup Jr.: What about Sony? Are they dropping?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » April 12th, 2009, 3:52 am

I caught that. and you're right, that is ONE good thing coming out of E3, but I don't think it excuses the rest. Camie Dunaway makes me cringe.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Simion32 » April 12th, 2009, 7:24 pm

As far as I can see, Pikmin 3 may well be the last good game for the Wii, and even then they better get SOME Donkey Kong game out.

Heck, just a few days ago I decided to fully play-through Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door for GCN on my Wii. To make it interesting I temporarily switched to my good ol' GCN and fired up my Action Replay, and gave myself 255 badge points. The thing is, you can't use AR on Wii if you even update once, so GCN is the only way to go - that's yet another negative thing about the Wii. (I may as well mention this here while I'm at it... the PMTTYD disc was smudged, and the game froze right after I finished the first chapter during the Grodus cutscene. I restarted after cleaning the disc and the playtime was at exactly 3:33... Weeeiird.)

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that this Gamecube game is better than Super Paper Mario. PMTTYD is much more full-blown and it looks AND sounds like they put a lot of effort into the game. SPM on the other hand, had a pretty good storyline, but it was too short and was quite easy. After beating SPM, I actually had a slight feeling of depression, because I thought "That's it? Where's all the great game play Paper Mario games usual have?"

Even Super Mario Galaxy made me a bit uneasy. It had a strange ending to say the least, and after ***SPOILERS***beating the game a second time to unlock the final level***END SPOILERS***, the nature of that final unlockable really made me mad because of what I had to do in order to get it.

As for good games for Wii that are even worth buying, which is nearly my entire collection, I'd say:

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Brawl, Twilight Princess (of which I had a glitched disc, and it was past warranty so I had to spend another $50 on a new disc), Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Wii Play (the tanks and target practice games are great, everything else sucks), Metroid Prime 3, City Folk, Elebits, and Warioware Smooth Moves.

I also suckered myself into getting Mario Party 8, but it was more of the same from Mario Party 7 (I've got every Mario Party except 1 and 2). I also got Sonic and The Secret Rings, but that game is so far from the normal Sonic games that I stopped playing after the first level. The controls for the game just absolutely SUCKED.

Sony is so far gone that they're in world -1, every single game they make sucks. Microsoft may stay afloat for awhile, as they have Rare... but Rare has changed since the DKC days, I'm not so sure they've still got the charm to do a good DK game if they had the chance to. I mean, just look at what happened to the Banjo-Kazooie Series. Nuts & Bolts is great and all, but it's just not the same genre, they basically have driven it off a cliff as far as I'm concerned. I WAS going to get a 360 just to play the aforementioned Banjo-Threeie, but it ended up being Nuts&Bolts and I just gave up on Rare at that point.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tiptup Jr. - the bottom line is that the whole gaming industry is going down the drain. Hopefully we can stay afloat on past gaming systems and laugh as Nintendo and their competitors go up in flames. :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » April 12th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Ok. I'm too lazy right now to read the whole thread...and give a lengthy explanation... :roll: sigh.

I do think Nintendo is going down hill ever since the top guy at Nintendo (what's his lame? something Lincoln?) left. Way too many gimmicks, way too many versions of the DS, where is my next generation Game Boy? The GBA was awsome in my opinion. I do own a first generation DS though and don't play it much. I also own a Wii and the only reason I don't play it much is because of the games. Nintendo these days doesn't create many high quality titles anymore... all I have to say is Wii Music and you know what I mean. :roll: Not too mention all the rehashes of older games. Then there’s the Wii shop thing... even more excuses for Nintendo to sell old games which I already own...

Then there's the obsolete technology behind the hardware. I understand Nintendo's decision to make things cheaper for consumers and I have no problem with that but with no good games (well maybe 1 or two) there's really no point.

Also anyone who grew up with the NES has to consider people's tastes and current trends in games change. I notice the style of games no longer cater to my tastes. :( Look what rare did with lastest Banjo game. Why do they even call it Banjo Kazooie? I miss platformers.

grrr too many emotocons....... need to increase the amount allowed in this thread. lol
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Gnawzooka » April 12th, 2009, 8:06 pm

I miss platformers too. :cry:
Although, there's a new Jak game coming out in Spring, so that should be something to look forward to. :P
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 13th, 2009, 9:28 am

Alright, upon further thought, there are some upcoming games on the horizon that seem pretty decent - Mostly the new Punch-Out!!, an epic orgy of nostalgic awesomeness, and a few DS games being released to promote the DSi. Besides those, there's nothing but cheap ports and soulless shoot-'em-ups these days. Nuts & Bolts was previously mentioned in this thread. Yes, it was fun, but as a Banjo game it utterly failed and left me downright angry at the lack of what made the series' N64 titles so great. I think that's why Rare was so eager to push Kazooie and Tooie to the LIVE Arcade . . . if they didn't, Banjo fans would be breaking down their doors and killing everyone's children. :) :| :(

I never really understood Sony either. Nintendo practically invented the modern video game market and Microsoft is one of the most influential companies in technological history, but what the hell did Sony do? Do they have any mascots at all? And a PS3 is, what, almost twice the cost of a Wii? Okay.

Still, I'd like to see a decent Donkey Kong title released before the market truly phails . . . Paon could take care of that quite nicely.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Gnawzooka » April 13th, 2009, 4:27 pm

The PS2 was great, but Sony has failed spectacularly in this generation.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby diddykong » April 13th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Well about Nintendo going downhill GTA china town wars is coming out soon but it could easily be a catastrophic failure but hopefully Rockstar can keep it together. Its not like its going to dramatically uplift Nintendo but it might be a fun game.
They have made great games in the past.
Tourist

Postby Raccoon Sam » April 14th, 2009, 4:56 am

How does Chinatown wars affect Nintendo's position as a first-party developer and publisher?
Besides, Chinatown wars did great. Good reviews and it's a fun game.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Mattrizzle » April 14th, 2009, 10:34 am

For all of the Nintendo systems I purchased while they were still new, I have the following numbers of games:
SNES - 34
N64 - 29
GCN - 17
Wii - 7

There has to be a problem here. Of the 7 Wii games I own, Wii Sports (bowling), Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii are the only three I've played lately.

Simion32 wrote:I've got every Mario Party except 1 and 2.
You're missing the best two games in the series, in my opinion. It all went downhill from Mario Party 3. That one ticked me off to no end(did we really need the hidden star blocks?). Duel mode is still fun to play, however.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby diddykong » April 14th, 2009, 11:15 am

Raccoon Sam wrote:How does Chinatown wars affect Nintendo's position as a first-party developer and publisher?
Besides, Chinatown wars did great. Good reviews and it's a fun game.

well it dosen't and i thought i made that clear in my post. I'm probably going to buy it soon or get a DS emulator.
Tourist

Postby Katastrophe Kong » April 19th, 2009, 9:28 am

I would'nt say its going down hill, just running out of ideas. They should accept game requests from fans instead of that "Gamecube to Wii" idea, because you can already play the Gamecube using the Wii.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby DK4Ever » April 20th, 2009, 11:18 am

I think they are (Nintendo at least) carrying too much of a "mother-knows-best" kind of attitude towards this whole situation, ignoring the hardcore fans and continually generating crap after crap after crap loads of party games for the casual audience. I swear every time I see a Wii commercial, it has a too-happy group of people laughing at their T.V. and swinging their wii-motes around like they were at a carnival trying to win those un-winnable games.

I weep. I do. I was so psyched about the DKC4 rumor back before E3. Nothing. Was psyched about the Kid Icarus rumor,which was supposedly being made by Factor 5, again, nothing.

E3 made me so depressed, I could hardly bring myself to play Brawl, and completely put away my other games. I didnt want to think about Nintendo, but the pull of Smash is, obviously, too strong. I kept telling all my friends the horrible news of Nintendo's E3 performance, and that made them just as depressed :(

Miyamoto's actions were what did it, the king of games, telling me that toys < video games, technically spitting in my face, and then there was that whole thing about Zelda's new direction, and when I heard that, my first thought was "Noooooo!" and then it was "Don't they listen to the real fans at all?" No, they listen to money :(

So it's Punch-Out!, Pikmin 3...something else, something else, possible new system, new smash game? (that's what I want, I love Brawl to death, but I miss the hype from before Brawl came out, it excited me and I want it to start up again, all the speculation and such) but after that? what do we have?
Treasure Hunter

Postby Gnawzooka » April 20th, 2009, 3:29 pm

We should band together and take over the gaming industry by force!!!! Mwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!! :twisted:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby DK4Ever » April 20th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Yes!!

I'll grab my popguns and barrels!

Ahahahahaahahahahahahaha!
Treasure Hunter

Postby Gnawzooka » April 20th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Just one problem though...
what then?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » April 21st, 2009, 9:04 am

YES, NINTENDO IS GOING DOWNHILL. Hell, Nintendo hasn't been uphill in a long time, and likely never will again, not in the sense we'd like them to be.

Nintendo doesn't have to make good games, they make more money when they ignore us then they ever did trying to please the fans. And the worst part is, no matter how much they cheat us and make us angry, we still can't resist buying from them. Which I guess is part of the problem.

I hate the Wii and everything it stands for, but I still bought one, as well as SSBB, MKWii, MSS, LozTP, etc. Even though I know that the NEW Play control series is just a scam to resell us stuff we already own with the illusion of "discount prices", I still bought Mario Power Tennis, and plan to buy Jungle Beat when it comes out. The virtual console is just a ridiculous way to make us buy games we already own for prices that are even more ridiculous.

The DSi is likely to become a new system as it evolves, just like the Game Boy Color was originally somewhat of an expansion on the Game Boy. The original Game Boy Color games actually worked on both the GB and GBC, and eventually they become their own system. I wouldn't be surprised to see the DSi slowly make that sort of transition. I also wouldn't be surprised if they shovelled out an "enhanced" DSi a year from now in the attempt to make people buy yet another DS.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby diddykong » April 21st, 2009, 10:48 am

Jomingo wrote: I also wouldn't be surprised if they shovelled out an "enhanced" DSi a year from now in the attempt to make people buy yet another DS.

Or just a fluro green one with black stribes. :( Thats like the ultimate scam. I only have the original DS and im not supporting there scam by buying 6748765658 versions of the same thing.
Tourist

Postby Gnawzooka » April 21st, 2009, 12:01 pm

Until my current DS breaks or something I won't bother buying a DSi, and even then...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby FefeRawft » May 7th, 2009, 11:36 am

The new games are certainly not as good as the old ones. I have talked with my brothers and we all agree that the games are getting easier and more geared toward little kids (with the exception of games rated mature and teen). I also have noticed that gamers are getting younger. I didn't get into video games until I was about 7, I have a little cousin who started at 4.

It is also safe to say that right now, nothing beats the classics, especially DKC2, and Ocarina of Time. I brought up those games for a reason. I think Zelda is heading down the same path as DKC (Including DK64). Good, Amazing, meh, and finally not enough to bring the series back. Or you could say it like this: DKC/LoZ, DKC2/OoT, DKC3/Wind Waker, DK64/Twilight

Think about it: DKC went downhill the moment the kremlings became freakin' cartoons! Look at Zelda: Wind Waker, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, how far are they going to go? DK64 are Twilight Princess are similar because they are were the last chance to bring back a great series. When is Nintendo going to stop with the cartoon Zeldas? Don't they realize they are getting more retarded every time?

I agree with people who say that you can't judge a game by it's graphics, but when they are cartoon graphics coming from a great series, I say "Judge, baby, judge!" When a great series does this, there is always some, or a major portion of the game geared toward little kids, like they're re-writing the story for babys.

Nintendo's most recent chances for even coming straight back up to the top, and I don't like saying that (because I'm a hardcore only-play-Nintendo fan), are games like: SSBB, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart, and DK Jungle beat (The new revised Wii version, that I plan on buying.)

To sum it all up:

Yes, Nintendo is going downhill
Yes, chances are the DKC series is extinct
Yes, the Zelda series is endangered
Yes, I'm acting like they are animals ;)
Yes, Nintendo has a good chance of surviving for a few years going down, or even at the bottom
Yes, Nintendo has a decent chance of coming back to the top
Yes, Diddy Kong is awesome
Yes, Nintendo is the best! (Screw you XBox!)
Trailblazer

Postby Cyclone » May 8th, 2009, 1:50 pm

FefeRawft wrote: I think Zelda is heading down the same path as DKC (Including DK64). Good, Amazing, meh, and finally not enough to bring the series back.

I disagree. Zelda is way more popular then Donkey Kong. I think as long as Mr. Miyamoto is with Nintendo we will continue to see more Zelda games. Wind Waker for GameCube was an attempt to try something new (different style and game play). While still a good game it wasn't as popular as Ocarina of Time. The fans wanted a Zelda game with more realistic graphics like that of Ocarina of time for the N64 so they decided to go back to a style more similar to the N64 version with Twilight Princess. It was released at the end of the GameCube life span, which didn't help and was also ported to the Wii. I think we will see a much more innovative Zelda game in the near future using the Wii Motion Plus peripheral and more advanced graphics since it will not be a GameCube port. I read on ign that the next Zelda game will see some changes. I hope for the better. :)

DKC on the other hand was made by Rare not Nintendo. Zelda is a much bigger mascot then DK currently is. DKC was basically a gimmick showing what they could do with 3d gfx on the SNES. So I kinda agree that we won't see a DKC4 but I still think we have a chance in seeing a new 3D Donkey Kong game much like DK64. I hope I'm wrong though. I would love to see a DKC4!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby FefeRawft » May 9th, 2009, 7:30 am

Ya, I understand that DK isn't as popular as Zelda, but I think that this is because they haven't really made a real real DK game in a while. And it is also true to say that the Cartoon Zeldas, are way less popular than the normal ones.

I think that there hasn't been a real DK game in a while because the more recent ones (Diddy Kong Racing DS, Donkey Konga, the cancelled Donkey Kong Racing), are just party/racing games (other than Jungle Beat, but even SMB has more of a story than that) there hasn't been a good game with an actual story. Hmm, I no that Diddy Kong Racing has a story but.... how can I make this clearer....
Trailblazer

Postby DK4Ever » May 13th, 2009, 8:54 am

I dunno if DKR can really be called recent..it got cancelled back in 2003. Barrel Blast just came out 2 years ago if that's what you're thinking, and it was fun, but not quite enough, I thought.

Also, while reading Youtube comments while listening to various posted DKC2 songs (This one in particular being Cranky's Conga) Someone brought up the interesting point that Cranky was right.

We have become Cranky. He complained that we didn't know video games, and that his games were so much more difficult, fun and challenging. For those of us born in the 80's and 90's..we have morphed into him, I know I have, anyway, constantly looking at my younger cousins when they are playing Wii Sports or something, and thinking "Man, they don't know how games USED to be.."

Cranky was a genius afterall.
Treasure Hunter

Postby FefeRawft » May 13th, 2009, 10:59 am

Are you sure you're not me?

That's exactly how I think!
Trailblazer

Postby Rodent » May 21st, 2009, 10:50 pm

Yeah, I've gotta say, the Gamecube generation seemed to get alot more attention than we are now. Hell, even if we got a new Zelda, Metroid, Mario or something every six months I'd be pleased. I don't play games as much anymore, so that helps. I also think that's apart of the problem: when you get your own money and can buy a game whenever you please, it's nowhere near as special, and you probably won't play it for all it's worth either. Still, I think Nintendo should be trying ALOT harder. Animal Crossing Wii was crap! It was Wild World with 5 new stores! I can't believe I shelled $110 out for that. I've gotta say though, DK4Ever came up with a good point in that we have become Cranky. I guess it's like that with alot of things too. People from the 70s still ramble on that their music is better and chances are I'll hate everything my kids like as well. People complain that Warhammer 40,000 used to be better in it's Second Edition. The Prequel Trilogy sucks compared to A New Hope. Maybe that's life though, maybe that's the downside of any hobby or activity.

Back on the gaming topic though, I think all the consoles are pretty average right now. If I bought a 360 instead of my Wii, I'd still crave three or four games like I do now. I mean, I want RE5 and GTAIV but that's about it to be honest. If I had bought a 360, I'd be begging for Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. And if a new Donkey Kong Country came out, unless it was in the exact style and spirit of the old games, I think we'd all hate it to be honest, just because it isn't what it used to be. Even if it was just DKC3 with new levels and whatnot, I'm sure we'd pan it for bringing nothing new. I think I've thought into this too much and possibly just killed my love for alot of things. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby FefeRawft » May 22nd, 2009, 5:17 am

DK4Ever wrote:I dunno if DKR can really be called recent..it got cancelled back in 2003. Barrel Blast just came out 2 years ago if that's what you're thinking, and it was fun, but not quite enough, I thought.

Ya, you're right about that, but I was just saying that the two newest systems were "recent." Anything N64 and back I consider old.
Trailblazer

Postby Cyclone » May 22nd, 2009, 4:01 pm

Rodent wrote:DK4Ever came up with a good point in that we have become Cranky. I guess it's like that with alot of things too. People from the 70s still ramble on that their music is better and chances are I'll hate everything my kids like as well. People complain that Warhammer 40,000 used to be better in it's Second Edition. The Prequel Trilogy sucks compared to A New Hope. Maybe that's life though, maybe that's the downside of any hobby or activity.

Yea that’s true and all. But the real meaning of this topic for me is the quality and effort that Nintendo is putting into their products. While it's true that people like different styles and genres of games, that people's tastes will change over time and with one generation of gamers replacing another, the thing that bugs me the most is the lack of effort Nintendo is putting into their games and products.

It seems Nintendo is all for getting the most money the easiest way possible. Years ago Nintendo had this ideology that they are for Quality vs. quantity. I was all for Nintendo up until I think the later part of the Game Boy Advance lifetime. They started porting more and more games and doing remakes. Now with the Wii the same thing is happening to an even greater extent. Greater quantity of games with lesser quality. On a business stand point this requires very little development cost and effort. I can appreciate and am open to new games and styles but I have a problem when I see a gimmicky piece of software that was designed more to earn quick bucks then it was for gamers enjoyment and a way for the game artist to express his/her creativity.

Money wise Nintendo is not going down hill. Creativity wise and for the fun factor I think it is. I have 6 great GC games and so far only 3 Wii games. If Nintendo keeps this up I will probably end up going to a Microsoft console... :(
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby FefeRawft » May 23rd, 2009, 5:27 am

Someone should show Nintendo this thread!
Trailblazer

Postby Darth » May 24th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Stupid Nintendo. There's a few good games in the Wii's library, but they are few and far between (not to mention I already have most of them). This small amount of decent games seems to lure people in. And why? Nostalgia, I suppose. Characters you recognize from all the good games you played when you were younger. Maybe it is a bit of nostalgia, but none of these new games seem to be nearly as good as the classic games Nintendo made. VC is nearly the only good point about the Wii for people who aren't super-duper-easy-minigame casual gamers, and even then, there's still a bunch of good games unreleased, but crap games no one has ever heard of continue to be released each week.

So what kind of games are Nintendo making the most money off of? Wii Play sold over twice as much as Halo 3, because it entertains the 5-year-old doofuses who enjoy terrible collections of mini-games (and the fact that it has an extra Wiimote). I have no doubt that Wii Sports Resort will sell well, because it's another Wii Sports game that doofuses find amazing because of the motion controls and simplistic games. The only thing there that looks good is the sword fighting, and mainly because all the Miis we have of important Nintendo employees can be beat up and knocked over high ledges for our amusement.

The few good games being churned out tend to be 2nd party games, becasue they know how to use the technology and aren't as obsessed with cash. What've we gotten from 3rd parties? Down-graded ports, terribly-controlled garbage, and...

From Nintendo themselves, we get repetitive casual garbage, new controls for ports, and...
Puppies!

And it isn't just Nintendo (and other stupid companies) screwing up...

So what was the last GOOD game I've played? DKC2 for VC, I suppose. But as for something aside from a previously released game, probably Pikmin 2. Miyamoto has obviously gotten dementia, absorbed in his casual garbage like Wii Music, which is the stupidest thing ever. It's hard to call it a game. Waggle around for no apparent reason, no losing, no goals, just waggle until your feeble arms give out. Then we've got our personal fitness trainer telling us we're unhealthy, underweight, or unfit for our age. If he turns Pikmin into a casual game, I'll have lost all hope.

Damn you, Nintendo. Don't you get enough money from all the garbage games already out? Can't you make something for the people who've enjoyed your games for over 20 years? The people you're abandoning to a bunch of ugly little 6-year-olds who can't tell the difference between pointing and wiggling with the remote. Then along comes cammie Dunaway, who talks about puppies, broken wrists, and beating her boss. I'm concerned about the future of the gaming industry. Terrible games about stupid things filled with stupid humor isn't appealing to anyone but brain dead, bratty toddlers.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby FefeRawft » May 24th, 2009, 2:04 pm

I believe Nintendo is seriously dumbing down games. Like a few of you said we are becoming Cranky!

Wow I seem to be sticking around this thread :D

I haven't seen a decent game in a while, but I here there are 2 new Zelda games coming out.

"Would you be excited about 1:1 swordplay in the upcoming Zelda game for Wii?"

Taken directly from PureZC at http://www.purezc.com/

I researched this for about 20 minute. I hear it will be one of these:

A direct Twilight Princess sequel
A Remake of Ocarina of Time
A sequel to OoT/MM

I hope it's nothing like WW, FS, FSA, ST, or PH.

Sorry for the abbreviations for the non-Zelda fans reading this.

There is still hope!

Do not worry Nintendo fans, I still believe that Nintendo has hope, and you should too.
Trailblazer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 25th, 2009, 2:43 am

DK4Ever wrote:We have become Cranky. He complained that we didn't know video games, and that his games were so much more difficult, fun and challenging. For those of us born in the 80's and 90's..we have morphed into him, I know I have, anyway, constantly looking at my younger cousins when they are playing Wii Sports or something, and thinking "Man, they don't know how games USED to be.."

Cranky was a genius afterall.

Yes. And what's more, Cranky even predicted the downfall of the video gaming industry. Click for more:
Spoiler!
In the 101% ending for Donkey Kong 64, Cranky is shown holding auditions for the next DK game on the Dolphin (The Gamecube's codename back in those days.) Every single character who auditions, including Rare's Donkey Kong himself, fails to make the cut. And that's what happened in Jungle Beat. I think, somehow, Rare knew what was coming. And they tried to warn us.

But when you think about it, DK's actually got it pretty good. Take the Gamecube, where Donkey Kong got three titles all to himself and was featured in every other Mario game that wasn't Sunshine. On the other hand, Kirby only got Air Ride and Star Fox got what should've been Dinosaur Planet, and they are now practically unknown to the modern gaming community (Nintendo's "casual" audience.) Donkey Kong has a freaking Monster Jam truck. Everyone, game-player or not, is familiar with his name and likeness. I think that if Nintendo really wanted to make DK the biggest name in video games again, they could. They simply choose to keep Mario in that position, because for some reason people enjoy pudgy little plumbers running around their screens more than kick-ass gorillas. :roll:

But at least someone out there cares! DK wouldn't be in the new Punch-Out!! if Nintendo was trying to kill him, would he?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby FefeRawft » May 25th, 2009, 9:10 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Everyone, game-player or not, is familiar with his name and likeness.

Not the newer generation of gamers. I asked a kid about 5 years younger than me if he knew who Donkey Kong was. He said "Isn't he the one who killed Godzilla?"

You can take a few things out of that:

1. We are the last few generations to carry on the DK legacy
2. When the hell did DK fight Godzilla?! Lol joking.
3. I'm pretty sure King Kong didn't kill Godzilla
4. Little kids can't tell the difference between a giant killer ape and a regular sized talking smart ape!
Trailblazer

Postby Jomingo » May 25th, 2009, 10:41 am

Well, King Kong did kill Godzilla in the American version of Godzilla VS. King Kong, though in the Japanese version Godzilla won. And also, I'm not sure if that's even canon because Godzilla is actually much taller than King Kong, seeing as King Kong climbs up the buildings while Godzilla towers over them, but in the aforementioned match-up they were the same size.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » May 25th, 2009, 10:58 am

Redneck Jamboree? THAT'S HILLARIOUS....ly sad...but funny that they called it that.

Y'know Tiptup, you might have a point, DK is just about as well-known as Mario is, in whatever form he's known (Raging rapist with barrels or amazing, awesome hero with barrels who kicks the butts of equally amazing reptilian creatures...without barrels)

But, in order for DK to get back in business, Mr. Video Game would have to drop the acid trips, stop making things like wii-sports, and actually try to reach out to us, the real fans, with a game truly worthy of the name Nintendo.

But can he? Does he still HAVE what he had back in the 80s and 90s..and early 00s..Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin were genius.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Darth » May 25th, 2009, 12:38 pm

It's pretty obvious at this point that Nintendo doesn't really care about current DK that much. They gave him a pedo-Scooby Doo voice (which he still has), screwed his personality up, and tried to destroy everything created by Rare and start anew. When fans didn't like it, they've just handed him off to 3rd parties and Mario spin-off makers, seemingly wanting nothing to do with him. I'd like it if Nintendo (or maybe HAL) tried to make a new DKC-ish game with a high budget and actual marketing for it.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby old_buzzard » May 26th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Jomingo wrote:Well, King Kong did kill Godzilla in the American version of Godzilla VS. King Kong, though in the Japanese version Godzilla won. And also, I'm not sure if that's even canon because Godzilla is actually much taller than King Kong, seeing as King Kong climbs up the buildings while Godzilla towers over them, but in the aforementioned match-up they were the same size.

That was just a rumor, the ending was the same in the Japanese version. Well, King Kong didn't kill him. Godzilla's roar was heard right at the end of the Japanese version of the film. To me it isn't canon. It's almost as if it was a different King Kong fighting Godzilla. As we all know, the original King Kong was killed after falling off of the Empire State building.
Tourist

Postby FefeRawft » May 27th, 2009, 6:00 am

And slowly the topic turns into "Does anyone else think Godzilla is going down hill?"
Trailblazer

Postby Jomingo » July 1st, 2009, 2:34 am

DK4Ever wrote:I think they are (Nintendo at least) carrying too much of a "mother-knows-best" kind of attitude towards this whole situation

I agree with this completely. It's the same crap that always pissed me off about Rare. For such a great company, they sure could be condescending.

"So how do you explain the sudden lack of any familiarity to the Banjo series?"
"Just wait until you play it. Just trust me. We're right, and you'll just have to wait and see.." With a smug grin on his face.

Anyway, Nintendo has disappointed at this recent E3 too. Seriously, while Microsoft and Sony were dazzling the world, Nintendo was just pulling more of the, "Hey, you want Mario, we'll give you some Mario! Mario for everybody!!! Hey, we've got another Metroid and Zelda too!!".

I really don't understand all the Sony hate around here. I know they had a rocky start, but there's no doubt in my mind that Sony has a vastly superior console to anybody out there right now, and finally after all this time they are starting to pack the software to show it off. MAG will effing rule.

Back to the Nintendo side of things, after a very dissapointing E3 last year, they decided they'd show off a little more of the same, ie. 2 Mario's, 2 Zelda's, and a Metroid for good measure, while we still haven't gotten a proper DK, Kirby, Starfox, or F-Zero. We haven't seen the rumored DK game, we haven't seen Pikmin 3, and we haven't seen the rumored Kid Icarus.

Super Mario Galaxy was effing average. There, I said it. It may be great when you compare it to all the other crap on the Wii, but when you look at what the other consoles are dishing out on a regular basis...
The Mario games of Nintendo's past were good enough to last a generation, SMG hasn't lasted 2 years. Is the quality still there? Are we as gamers just getting shorter attention spans? No. It's just that before now Nintendo wasn't a single series system. We had other games to fill the void. Now Nintendo is staking it all on Mario, and for the first time in history we are getting a direct 3D Mario sequel.

But wait, this one has Yoshi! Give me a break!

[/rant]
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Guy » July 1st, 2009, 3:01 am

Super Mario Galaxy was F---ING average. There, I said it. It may be great when you compare it to all the other crap on the Wii, but when you look at what the other consoles are dishing out on a regular basis...
The Mario games of Nintendo's past were good enough to last a generation, SMG hasn't lasted 2 years. Is the quality still there? Are we as gamers just getting shorter attention spans? No. It's just that before now Nintendo wasn't a single series system. We had other games to fill the void. Now Nintendo is staking it all on Mario, and for the first time in history we are getting a direct 3D Mario sequel.

I understand all of that...

Super Mario Galaxy 2? The first one was good enough to atleast keep us busy... But NO! They wanted to make a sequel!

New Super Mario Bros. Wii? Bleh... My main complaint is the unoriginal name... Next we'll have it like New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Insert name of Nintendo's next console here). Judging this pace that we might get another unoriginal named Mario game: Super Mario 64 DS Wii.

And there's the third Mario vs. DK... Well, I'm glad they're still giving DK some attention, but it's not enough...

Now they're having a new Zelda game... Well, I guess it's better than a second 3-D Mario game although there's Twilight Princess standing over there...

Metroid? I haven't paid much attention to that series...

Kirby? Kirby Wii... Learned about it like half a year ago... Looked as if it was going to be released soon...

DK? Punch Out and Mario vs. DK 3... Just needs a new game of his own. The Wii-make of DK:JB was his most recent game but we need the other characters.

Starfox and F-Zero... We'd be lucky to get a new game in those series. I'm not so sure about F-Zero but it's confirmed there's going to be no Starfox for the Wii.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Jomingo » July 1st, 2009, 3:08 am

I don't understand all the hooplah about NSMBWii. It's still just a port, why should we be excited?

Metroid is getting Metroid Prime Trilogy later this year, surely that should tie over the Metroid bug for awhile, but no. We get another sequel, with a horrible name to boot.

Kirby Wii will never happen. If it still exists it's probably just whatever is left of Kirby Gamecube, and will forever remain in limbo.

All the games I'm excited about are ports/remakes anyway; ie. the NPC games, Punchout, Pokemon Heartgold and SoulSilver, etc, etc.

EDIT: Where was it confirmed that Starfox isn't getting a wii installment?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby FefeRawft » July 1st, 2009, 3:20 am

The Guy wrote:Now they're having a new Zelda game... Well, I guess it's better than a second 3-D Mario game although there's Twilight Princess standing over there...

What's wrong with Zelda? As long as it's not Toon Link it will be a great game.
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 1st, 2009, 3:56 am

To be honest with everyone, there are two games I'm slightly excited about:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (The co-op looks very exciting)
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Those are the only things I'm super excited about, with Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the side (however, I'm not done with Super Mario Galaxy yet, so SLOW DOWN! :evil: ). And just so you guys know, I haven't bought anything from Nintendo for like... 6 months :lol: . If everyone were to do this, maybe Nintendo will eventually find out their mistakes... ;)
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 1st, 2009, 4:22 am

Doubt it.

And the only thing wrong with Zelda is that it's way over rated, and when Nintendo decides to make a second Wii Zelda and a second or third DS Zelda before a single DK game, that's when it starts to get annoying.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby FefeRawft » July 1st, 2009, 5:07 am

Well I just got the new Nintendo Power, and I opened up to an interview with Mr. Miyamoto.

I'll give a few examples of stuff he said, and I'll translate them to what he really meant.

Here are a few of the questions:

Q: How are the levels in NSMB Wii designed for multiplayer?

A: We really didn't think about designing the courses or levels for multiplayer. They're designed for single-player experience. But it's just fun to have more people playing together.........

Translation: Even though the game is based around multiplayer, we aren't actually making levels. But there is a single player experience that probably will be easy for people who are used to playing the non-level multiplayer. But it's fun to play party games with more people, so we will probably drop single player.

Q: Will there be playable characters other than Mario, Luigi, and the Toads?

A: That's it.

Translation: We are forgetting about all our classic Mario Characters: DK, Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Diddy, Yoshi, Toadsworth, that one famous Toad that actually is different than the others, but named Toad and looks like the others, Toadette.

Q: I've heard there's some special new system in the game. Can you tell us about it?

A: It's actually an assist function. What it does is allow the player to let the computer take over if there's a section they're having trouble clearing, and the computer will play through that section, and then when you're comfortable, you take the control again, and you continue playing from that point.

Translation: It's actually a cheat function. What it does is take the baby players who can't play even a moderatly easy game and make it easier for them. This is the future of Nintendo. We will make games easier and easier until all you do is click a button and you beat the game. Hooray for easy!

Q: I heard Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime says that this game is a lot to appeal more toward hardcore players. Is that extra depth what he was referring to?

A: Well, I do believe that there is a lot here to appeal to the more veteran, and more experienced gamers, and I think it's a title that they will obviously enjoy, but I took it into consideration and tried to do our best to create a game that's accessible to new gamers as well.

Translation: We thought about making a good game like the ones from the good old days. But I hate our loyal gamers that have stuck with us since we started.

You really pissed me off with that one Mr. Miyamoto, you got me excited and crushed my spirit.

Q: We've heard a lot of people who are under the impression that the next console Zelda game is going to be something radically different from what we've seen in the past. Is that the case?

A: No, I don't think it's going to be radically different. Accessible gameplay.

Translation: Yes, it's different, it's easy.

What?! No he's talking about different from past Zelda games, not recent easy games. Of course it's going to be different!
Trailblazer

Postby The Guy » July 1st, 2009, 5:13 am

^ So true. I wonder if you can reveal more stuff...
Veteran Venturer

Next

Return to Gaming Discussion