Donkey Kong Country Wiki

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Donkey Kong Country Wiki

Postby Rare Lover » June 29th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Has a Donkey Kong Country wiki based around the Donkey Kong of Rare ever been considered, I'd be willing to contribute heavily. Wikis are great for outsiders of a series to become interested in other franchises, not really saying anyone has to do it, but I think it is an interesting idea. If others had interest in it we could make one and slowly add pages to it, just food for thought.
Trainee Trekker

Re: Donkey Kong Country Wiki

Postby Gnawzooka » June 29th, 2009, 5:54 pm

http://donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/Donkey_Kong_Wiki

There's also plenty of DK stuff on Super Mario Wiki.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Rare Lover » June 29th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Donkey Kong Wiki is embarrassing, there are 8 arcade game spin-offs on the front page, it needs serious clean up that the owners aren't willing to do.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » June 30th, 2009, 2:21 am

Yeah, at this point in time there are 3 major Wikis to consider. The first is the Super Mario Wiki, which has a lot of Donkey Kong stuff. The problem is that anything DK related is written from a Mario fan's perspective, and that they treat the DK series as a Mario spinoff(not to mention all the inaccuracies). The Donkey Kong Wiki is the Super Mario Wiki, minus the Mario stuff. And then there's the DKU Wiki, the most incomplete of the trio, and also the worst for this purpose because their intent was to create a Wiki with all their site's philosophy and ideas(which are mostly fanwank).

A wiki was one of the many ideas that have passed between Qyzbud and I. Perhaps an official DKC Atlas Wiki will come to fruition someday, perhaps not.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rare Lover » June 30th, 2009, 4:19 am

I'd be willing to do a lot of the dirty work if it is ever seriously considered. The main problem I see is that all three of the Donkey Kong wikis completely miss the mark entirely. Mario and DK Wikis, as you said, treat him like a Mario spin-off, where as the DKU's fits their specific needs. They each serve their purpose, but in the end we still don't have a DKC wiki and DKU's is the only one I can bare to read (too bad it's a dead project).

I love to just search a franchise's wiki and read about how everything works. In some cases it has even gotten me to buy certain games, and it saddens me so to know that we don't have a proper wiki for DK and Diddy.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Qyzbud » June 30th, 2009, 12:36 pm

The DKC series/franchise does need a good wiki. As you said, Rare Lover, they are a great way to find out how everything interrelates within a fictional universe... and yeah, the ones which exist currently don't really do the Rare (and Rare-inspired) DK games justice. Jomingo and I have discussed this, and we began a bit of tentative groundwork, but haven't really got it all underway at this point.

I would like to host a wiki at DKC Atlas, and there's a good chance this will happen in time. Thanks for registering your interest on such a project, RL. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Rare Lover » June 30th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Sure no problem, if you do end up getting this off the ground and don't want to be so bogged down with work just contact me, I'll help however I can.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » June 30th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Of course if and when this project gets underway it will definitely be a community project(though tightly controlled to avoid the same collapse the DKU wiki underwent), and thus all Atlas-ites will be encouraged to contribute.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Guy » July 1st, 2009, 1:48 am

That's an excellent plan...

Because of this we can give more info on Donkey Kong than the other places.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Rare Lover » July 1st, 2009, 7:48 am

It could also help us expand outside of the Country trilogy. It would be nice if Nintendo announced a Donkey Kong console adventure as that would create a lot of interest, but right now we have to wait until they're done with all their Mario games...
Trainee Trekker

Postby Gnawzooka » July 1st, 2009, 6:18 pm

Hm... It'll be like RayWiki at Pirate Community...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby HavocReaper48 » August 19th, 2010, 1:05 pm

I've been working very hardly lately on reworking the wiki. New articles, page overhauls, etc. in the last few months. I'm a big (huge) DKC fan and nearly every edit I have there is DKC related. Please help me in this. It's really gotten better lately.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » August 19th, 2010, 1:20 pm

"a few beta elements that never made it into the final game, such as a 3-Up Balloon at Snow Barrel Blast." FALSE. That balloon is still there. :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby HavocReaper48 » August 20th, 2010, 8:59 am

Whoops, fixed. Thanks for pointing that out. :? Any more errors? You can edit and proofread the article yourself, you do not need to log in to do it.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Gaz » January 29th, 2012, 11:11 am

Look at donkeykong.wikia.com now. Has a lot of info relevant to DKC and beyond.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks