Donkey Kong Country fan-game ideas

The dream tool of any hardcore DKC player, the DKCLB aims to make editable in unison all elements from the original DKC Trilogy, and allow customization of it all, too! Powered by the Delta Suite.

Re: Donkey Kong Country fan-game ideas

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 25th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Jomingo wrote:Anyway, yeah, I didn't make the balloon for it to actually be used (as you guys already have one), I just was messing around and wanted to try it out. Same goes for the coins, use them if you want, but I was only messing around when creating them.

It was a nice balloon Jomingo, the only reason mine was so hardcore was because i made it from scratch :lol:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby BlueTronic » June 25th, 2009, 5:13 pm

SmudgeKWOOD wrote:I knew I was gonna get dissed sooner or later, cause I always do. Now I can be called the n word.
Also, I will fix the wall of text as soon as I get my computer back. (How am I posting? Check the Which internet browser do you use topic in Anything Goes)
Also, I found a really funny article about traffic called "This rant." I`ll do that for all those [cleanedout] people [/cleanedout] who don`t have any clue to anything going on.
I post a part of This Rant to get the idea:
Part of the intro:
This is to all you [cleanedout] idiots [/cleanedout] out there who hog the fast lane going 2 times slower than the speed limit and won`t get the [cleanedout] heck [/cleanedout] out of the lane!
{Then it posted Q&A for traffic... still funny}
Yeah...
Smudge`ll die soon
No, I didn`t mean leaving, I already know you all think I`m a b***ard, and I am, so, yeah. Oh, for the fact out, I once did try to [Kids, leave] kill myself before with one helluva sharp knife, but was caught by my parents, who kicked me, cussed at me, (Oh crap, I`m off topic)
And Mr. Flamingo Jomingo, you missed some stuff, I`ve seen. Oh, and I see TONS of reasons to be called the n word

DKC-Atlas helpful tip #42: Always keep your password safe, and sign out when your done browsing. ;)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby CoolStyleE » June 25th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Smudge... seriously. You just get the hell out of here before your ass gets kicked out of here. It`s for your good, I`ll transfer all your crap here,
Well, my business cards are coming along great, but I did delete Smudge`s, we`ll just credit him for plotline and music.
Smudge`s... when he leaves, let`s just make him music person. How about K. Rool the Krool being co-director? That looks good. Also, I do agree with aging DK & Kiddy, but we can use the Kiddy Coin. Hey Jomingo, could you turn it into a spinning sprite? (Like the animal buddy tokens) But, if there`s gonna be a Kiddy token, there should be a DK token. Also, the DK Isle token as well.
Well that`s all I gotta say now, so bye for now. But, do I wanna lock Smudge in the trunk of my car right now. Who agrees?
Trainee Trekker

Postby BlueTronic » June 25th, 2009, 5:48 pm

[Quote removed by moderator]
How come you and Smudge type strange apostrophes? (e.g. let ' s instead of let's)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby CoolStyleE » June 25th, 2009, 5:56 pm

It is the preset apostrophy on a Nintendo DSi, which we both have.
Trainee Trekker

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 25th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Ok guys here are the Go-Kart death sprites for Kiddy and Krash, hope you all like them ;)

ITEMS NEXT IN LINE:
-Animal Buddy Mini-Token rotations
-K.Rool's other sprite movements
-K.Rool's Weapons and Tank

EDIT: Kiddy's sprites seem to have a problem uploading to the thread in full-size so if anyone needs them for anything here's the full-sized link

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r393/Koolio_kool/KiddyKartDeathSpritecopy.gif
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » June 25th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Donkey Kong Island Coin (Low-Fi Animation)
DK_Island_Coin_Render_Animated_LowFI.gif
DK_Island_Coin_Render_Animated_LowFI.gif (62.53 KiB) Viewed 101415 times
How's that for a DK Island Coin? I rendered it in 3D too, to try to keep with the style of the DKC's. :geek:

I might need to scale the image down to around DK-Coin size, but other than that this render seems good enough to me. Any comments?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 25th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Very nice Simion! looks like the real deal to me :)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2009, 1:59 am

I like it! I would've had no idea how to go about making it 3D and animated like that.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » June 26th, 2009, 2:40 am

Who wants to bet someone here will become an hero by the end of the summer? in b4 stolen iPod

The coin looks great colorwise, but the gold reflection is a bit off.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 26th, 2009, 4:30 am

I think this is because there is only refraction happening on the coin, as reflection has not yet been applied. I could be wrong but it's just a thought ;)

EDIT:

K. Rool's final sprite sheets have been moved down to my last post see below ;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Lanky Kong » June 26th, 2009, 8:34 am

What a idea to put my created enemies in the game, and K.Rool the Krool make the Sprites?

QUOTE FROM THE TOPIC:" Make you own enemies"

Koldfeezer

its a Kritter like Skidda, but in DKC1 style, he slides like the Skiddas, they are coloured Light Blue, you can kill he Jumping, Cartweeling or with a Barrel.

Heli-Kopter

is Likes the Kopters but the helicopter wings and his Helmet and Backpack are coloured Red, they standing on land and wait the Kongs to start spining, they directly attacks the Kongs, you can defeat him Jumping or with a TNT Barrel, they cannot defeat rolling or with a Normal/Knocka Barrel.

Krushaboomer

they are liked Krushas, but they are Red and they grab a TNT Barrel and launch the TNT Barrel like Manky Kongs, you can defeat him with a TNT Barrel.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 26th, 2009, 9:42 am

I'll see what I can do Lanky Kong ;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2009, 11:08 am

Very cool sprites! I just thought of something. In the battle I posted earlier, the part where K. Rool's tank stops working and he peaks out looking all confused, he could take off his helmet and scratch his head. This would be where you can attack him because he is no longer protected by the helmet. What d'you think?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 26th, 2009, 3:10 pm

I was actually thinking that before he scratches his head he could shoot 7 or 8 bombs then one will land in front of the Kongs and they will have about 5 seconds to throw it at him. This will repeat until the tank stops working and K. Rool scratches his head at which point the Kongs can jump on him. This seems about the right length for the third phase of the battle (the tank portion). Anyone have combat thoughts on a first or second? I know grenades were mentioned, maybe they can be K. Rool's second tactic. He could jump up and throw the grenades from above on a platform or something. Hmmm...now all we need is his first method of attack, something simple. Any ideas?

EDIT:

Also for your viewing pleasure, an animated example of K.Rool pushing his tank out into the battle area :)

Link to full-sized sprite:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r393/Koolio_kool/KommanderKRoolCannonAnimate-1.gif
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » June 26th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Just a note, remember that K.Rool and the tank may need to be separate objects in-game. You might want to have all of the tank sprites and all of K. Rool's sprites separated in the final sprite sheet. ;)

The part of the animation where he turns the tank probably needs to be a bit smoother, in my opinion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 26th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Why separate objects? arent the sprites just image sequences? Also yeah i thought the tank turn looked a bit edgy but i wanted to slow it down so you could actually see it when it was on an angle ;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » June 26th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Yes, they are image sequences, but remember that in the actual game, the objects will have to be coded with the available sprites in mind. Trust me, I know the kinds of issues that arise when you have sprites permanently linked to other sprites in solid animations. It becomes a nightmare when you actually try to put the code into motion.

For an example of this from within DKC: DK's barrel throwing poses are separated from the barrel itself, and the barrel is an entirely separate object from the Donkey Kong object.

The same thing in that example would apply to K. Rool's tank (and probably even his army helmet while it's detached) because they are not "part" of K. Rool.
EDIT: This would also apply to the Go-Kart animations you posted earlier. The go kart and whoever is riding it are not the same object. They're fine for now, I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to work on sprites.

If Kommander K. Rool is ever going to step away from the tank during the fight, then it would be better to have K. Rool as a separate animated object. Using a massive sequence of large images for such an animation would not be the best idea (it would take up lots of memory as well). Also, with K. Rool as a separate object it will be possible to make his animation/movement smoother (such as when he moves around the tank). In fact, the movement part of the animation (where K. Rool walks in with the tank, and anytime anything moves) should be calculated by the game code rather than being a fixed animation.

So, according to what you have so far, you need these animations:
Spoiler!
Kommander K. Rool:
-Walking in while 'holding' the tank *without the tank*
-Standing poses (for while he's next to the tank) *without the tank*
-Hit poses for when he's next to the tank *without the explosion effect or tank*
-Any ground battle poses (not sure if you've done this yet).
-Hit poses for the ground battle *without the hit effect*
-His helmet. This doesn't have to be super-detailed though.

The Tank:
-Tank firing missiles.
-Tank firing a bomb.
-The missile sprites.
-The bomb sprite(s).
-Different rotations of the tank. I don't see much work that needs to be done on this other that it needing to be a bit smoother (eg. have 3 diagonal sprites instead of just one).
Hit effects and explosions are guaranteed to be separate objects within the engine, so you don't need those in the animations. ;)

Excellent work on the sprites so far (minus the objects issue). You're a very good sprite-er from what I can tell. :)
One last thing: Make sure your final image is saved in PNG (this goes for just about anything used in DKCLB, as it cannot use GIFs). Once the Kommander K. Rool sprite sheet is complete I'll fix it up for when we're able to do this in the DELTA engine.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 27th, 2009, 10:27 am

Nice sprites/animations you have made so far King K. the Krool!

Sorry I haven't been on lately, but I have been watching this thread as a guest, so when it's time for me to post I'll be right there ;) .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 27th, 2009, 10:28 am

Thanks for all the tips Simion and Gamerboy, and also for the compliments. I'm fairly new to making sprites that are in-game compatible but I do have extensive knowledge in Photoshop due to taking a three year computer animation program, so if we need backgrounds or terrain edited i could do some of those as well. As for the sprite editing, I'll be working on some of those tonight. Thanks again.

EDIT:

Ok guys, taking Simion's advice i've made K.Rool and his tank two separate sprites, I've also made his bombs and grenades. Enjoy :)

Link to full sized sprites:

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r393/Koolio_kool/KommanderKRoolSpriteSheetcopy-1.png

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r393/Koolio_kool/TankSpriteSheetcopy-3.png
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Lanky Kong » June 27th, 2009, 12:46 pm

What a idea for World 2?

with 3 forest levels, 1 Ghost House level, 1 Mine Level and Mr. X as a Boss!

and the name of the World is called: Frenzy Forest

:D
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 27th, 2009, 1:10 pm

I must say that I'm very impressed with the sprites up thar. I'll be whipping up some voice clips for Kommander K. Rool soon . . . Mwaha! It r gon b 1337.

And let's all pray that Smudge hasn't killed himself by now. That really freaked me out. :?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 27th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the comments Tiptup. Lanky, your idea is creative but it seems very similar to Gloomy Gultch in DKC 2, maybe we could change up some of the levels?. Also i've been thinking about Boss music for the K.Rool battle, I know that Smudge had something created so i don't want to say we have to use this but how about a remixed version of the Boss music from Donkey Kong Land? That boss music seems like it would sound great if it were redone to meet SNES standards. I know it would have to be revamped so it's a vague idea but it's just a thought. Anyways thanks again guys.

-Mike.

Remix Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0rG2S9BKk8&feature=related

EDIT:

Lanky your sprites are done, that'll be 25 dollars and 46 cents ;)

Links to full-sized sprites

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r393/Koolio_kool/KoldfeezerSpriteSheetcopy.png

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r393/Koolio_kool/HeliKopterSpriteSheetcopy.png
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby CoolStyleE » June 29th, 2009, 3:03 pm

WOOT! Slappy`s back! :roll:
I like the sprites, but seem slightly minimal. It`d look to choppy in a game. Please work on that.
Also, I recorded some death sounds for DK & Kiddy. But, kart sprites need to be changed a tid bit. Just make the Kong`s bail-in-a-kart pattern look like this:
~\_-_
That`ll make killer and epic excitment.
Also, yes, Smudge does have the K. Rool fight music, I heard it earlier today, and it rocks. And, Smudge always ends up scaring the crap out of people all the time. :l
Trainee Trekker

Postby Lanky Kong » July 1st, 2009, 9:01 am

its better a Snow Forest?

with 1 Snow level, 1 Forest Level, 1 Snow Forest Level, 1 Castle level and Mr. X For Boss

the name of the levels:

1#: Snow Show
2#: Frenzy Forest
3#: Frosty Forest
4#: Mr. X´s Castle
5#: Mr. X Madness

the name of the World:

Frezeezy Forest
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Jomingo » July 1st, 2009, 11:12 am

Welcome to the forums Lanky Kong. Please take some time out of your busy brainstorming schedule to read the forum rules linked at the top of every page.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Guy » July 2nd, 2009, 1:46 am

There should be a way to keep this more organized...
Veteran Venturer

Postby K.Rool the Krool » July 2nd, 2009, 1:53 pm

I agree The Guy, there are way too many random posts on this topic. I think a new thread would be a good start, with some ground rules as a basis.
Any thoughts on that GamerBoy?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 3rd, 2009, 3:38 am

^ I think that's a good idea, but I don't think I'll create it just yet... Perhaps we should PM eachother some ways to keep that thread from becoming a junk yard?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 3rd, 2009, 3:41 am

As a moderator, I would be happy to help split off some of the "good" posts as per your specifications; or copy over some of the work; or remove this topic when the new one gets started; or anything else that is needed of me. Anything to keep our topics cleaner!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » July 3rd, 2009, 4:16 am

I think this topic should stay, but it definitely needs cleaning up.

A separate topic sounds good to me, as long as we get some guidelines down first. This thread can be the "random" ideas thread where ideas can be at least posted, and the new proposed thread would house actual elements to be included the fangame. There should to be a way to keep this organized.

I never could figure out how to split/merge/copy/etc topics anyway. Seems to be disabled/broken on my end.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » July 3rd, 2009, 4:55 am

I don't think so, it's just really complicated. While in the topic go to your moderator control panel, and the rest should be easy to figure out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby K.Rool the Krool » July 3rd, 2009, 1:46 pm

Sounds good guys, I'll try to think of some ideas on how to keep the new topic clean when it comes.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby The Guy » July 16th, 2009, 4:17 am

Eh, we need to plan the worlds now...
Veteran Venturer

Postby K.Rool the Krool » July 16th, 2009, 1:38 pm

If anyone still wants to :lol: seems pretty quiet latley.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby VideoViking » July 18th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Not anymore, K. Rool...

I need someone to create four sprites for my DKCX game. They are:

1. Golden Multiplier: DKC1-style golden token that says "x2"

2. Squawks Golden Token: Animal token for bonus game. This sprite will appear in Mudhole Marsh II, my next remix level to be posted next week.

3. Rattly Golden Token: Animal token for bonus game.

4. Rattly Crate: DKC-1 style crate with a snake symbol. In the first trilogy, all the character's heads were used for the labels.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby K.Rool the Krool » July 20th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Well, dunno what you're gonna think of these, but here's an attempt at the sprites you needed VideoViking.
if you need them changed or in better quality just lemme know ;)

EDIT:

Fixed what you asked for VideoViking, hope it's what you're after :)

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby VideoViking » July 23rd, 2009, 6:21 am

Just a couple changes:

1. The Golden Multiplier should be in the same font as the KONG letters. (By the way, is there a font-style for the KONG letters?)

Side-opinion: if the "x2" sign were placed in the square label as in the rest of the alphabet, will it still be legible to read?

2. The crate must be exactly like the ones in the first trilogy. If you go to the Donkey Kong Country... X thread, you'll notice all the crates use this template.

EDIT: Exactly as I hoped for. Thanks K. Rool :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby The Guy » July 27th, 2009, 11:01 am

I have an idea for an enemy:

Ambush Angler fish: An angler fish that comes in two palettes. In their first palette (Light green with yellow eyes.) they merely swim around and in dark areas they provide a small amount of light. The other palette (Dark green with red eyes.) they shoot (Using their lure) beams at the kongs. The beams also light up dark areas a little.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Matt534Dog » July 29th, 2009, 8:57 am

I think that after you rescue Diddy and Dixie, you still have to get to Kommander K. Rool, who ran away after you rescued Diddy and Dixie, and get to play with four kongs. ;)
Tourist

Postby The Guy » July 30th, 2009, 5:27 am

Hmm... This is what I think the worlds could be...

World 1: Maybe a Jungle/Water themed world. Levels: 5

World 2: A large forest with Tree Top Towns and a small swamp. Levels: 5

World 3: A mountainous region with a couple of mines and a castle. Levels: 6

World 4: Glaciers and a frozen ship. Levels: 6

World 5: Caves, Mines and Walkways. There's also a level taking place in a large body of water here. Levels: 6

World 6: 2 Factories and a Pipeline. Outside of the polluted area is a race track. Levels: 5

World 7: A volcanic region with some trees, a marsh, a temple and a walkway. Levels: 6

World 8: Another mountain, this time with a Rocket Barrel and Brambles. There is also a bridge among the treetops here. Levels: 5

World 9: Outer space with a Castle surrounded by brambles. Levels: 5

World 10: The lost world. Levels: I'm not so sure what we should add here...
Veteran Venturer

Postby BlueTronic » August 5th, 2009, 12:31 pm

K.Rool the Krool wrote:Thanks for the comments Tiptup. Lanky, your idea is creative but it seems very similar to Gloomy Gultch in DKC 2, maybe we could change up some of the levels?. Also i've been thinking about Boss music for the K.Rool battle, I know that Smudge had something created so i don't want to say we have to use this but how about a remixed version of the Boss music from Donkey Kong Land? That boss music seems like it would sound great if it were redone to meet SNES standards. I know it would have to be revamped so it's a vague idea but it's just a thought. Anyways thanks again guys.

-Mike.

Remix Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0rG2S9BKk8&feature=related

Sounds like it'd make a nice hard trance remix. :twisted: I'll take a stab at it.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby The Guy » August 6th, 2009, 6:52 am

What should be the names for the worlds?
Veteran Venturer

Postby Granville » August 6th, 2009, 9:46 am

OCremix did a really awesome version of Donkey Kong Land's Kremlantis theme-

http://www.ocremix.org/game/donkey-kong ... b/remixes/

I'd like to hear that in DKC. Doubt it'd be easy to convert to SPC though.
Tourist

Postby Yure16 » December 2nd, 2009, 12:48 am

I'll like to play it. Hope this game will be better than DK Rumble.
Tourist

Postby K.Rool the Krool » February 12th, 2010, 7:35 am

Hello All!

I'm back after a long hiatus period. I don't know how the Fan-Game is progressing but if anyone has had any idea's lately please let me know! :)

Thanks!

-K.Rool The Krool
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby gamer_boy997 » February 16th, 2010, 4:13 pm

Welcome back!

Unfortunately, this project is going really slowly...
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jermboy27 » July 13th, 2010, 5:39 am

The 4-up Balloon Will Be Good.
The 4-up Balloon is Yellow.
It Will Give You +4 Lives
Add it to the game!
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » July 13th, 2010, 8:42 am

Jermboy27, I think you should read the rules before posting again.
> Bumping old topics is only allowed if you have something significant to add to the discussion.

As for the main point of your post, 4x life balloons is something I've already thought of a long time ago, except it would be chevron colored (like the yellow traffic signs) and would randomly make you gain OR lose 4 lives. That way, picking up a 4x balloon would be a risky endeavor.

Of course, we could always do both.

Or, we could even use a variant of the scheme I devised years ago:
Simion32sBalloonSetDKC4.png
A balloon set based on my old DKC Delta project.
Simion32sBalloonSetDKC4.png (10.43 KiB) Viewed 101259 times

+1 Red
+2 Green
+3 Blue
+4 Bronze
+8 Silver
+16 Gold
+32 Platinum

-1 Dark Purple: Causes you to loose a single life.
(Complete with reversed sound effect)

+/-4 Chevron: Gain or lose 4 lives based on a random coin toss.

=0 Black: Not fatal, but sets your life counter to Zero.
Die after touching this one, and it's game over.

TNT Fiery Red-Orange:
Contains deadly nano-thermite surrounded by a delicate,
combustible, waxy shell that is constantly on fire.
IT'S A TRAP and explodes very violently when touched.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 13th, 2010, 10:07 am

Ha, Simion! Having all those life balloons in one game would be hilariously confusing. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Level Builder