Donkey Kong Country fan-game ideas

The dream tool of any hardcore DKC player, the DKCLB aims to make editable in unison all elements from the original DKC Trilogy, and allow customization of it all, too! Powered by the Delta Suite.

Re: Fangame brainstorming thread (please share your ideas!)

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 17th, 2009, 12:56 pm

K.Rool the Krool wrote:So why exactly can't we call this DKC4? it's recycled content..yes...but we're making new sprites and new levels so i think that counts for something, i even made that kiddy balloon from scratch, so unless rare threatens to sue why can't we call it that? lol

I know. Not only that, but I liked how this was a, "DKC4 project", it just doesn't seem as exciting anymore :( .

Also, nice sprites! But how does that no animal sign look like a porquepine? Not that your art is bad or anything :lol: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » June 17th, 2009, 1:04 pm

Wait, I don't get it, are you supposed to ride on him or what? Other than that he looks cool. He looks like an enemy, but cool.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 17th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Yes, he is an animal buddy named Spike, when you ride on him, his quills are tucked under, he's simply a normal animal buddy that can jump on enemies, but if you press 'y', he twirls around and shoots a quill that you can control like Squitter's web. It kills whatever enemy it touches, but disappears right after. If you hold 'y', he will charge up and shoot a very fast quill that you can't control, but goes through enemies destroying them, and also opens up secret doors. You can only have 1 quill on the screen at a time ;) .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 17th, 2009, 1:14 pm

gamer_boy997 wrote:
K.Rool the Krool wrote:So why exactly can't we call this DKC4? it's recycled content..yes...but we're making new sprites and new levels so i think that counts for something, i even made that kiddy balloon from scratch, so unless rare threatens to sue why can't we call it that? lol

I know. Not only that, but I liked how this was a, "DKC4 project", it just doesn't seem as exciting anymore :( .

Also, nice sprites! But how does that no animal sign look like a porquepine? Not that your art is bad or anything :lol: .

It's his head lol look closely
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 17th, 2009, 1:16 pm

I just noticed that, but you might want to make it slightly bigger, like the Rambi head ;) .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » June 17th, 2009, 1:50 pm

gamer_boy997/K.Rool the Krool wrote:what's wrong with calling this fangame "DKC4"? Sure it recycles, but so did the other games.

So why exactly can't we call this DKC4? it's recycled content..yes...but we're making new sprites and new levels so i think that counts for something, i even made that kiddy balloon from scratch, so unless rare threatens to sue why can't we call it that?

Calling a fangame Donkey Kong Country 4 implies that it is a direct, official sequel to the DKC trilogy. It is also a title which already has recognition amongst the gaming community. Although your intent may be to give gamers a new DKC-style adventure, it's not fair on those who are looking for information about the true Donkey Kong Country games to use such a significant name for a fan-made game. Especially one that isn't yet close to being playable/finished etc. By calling your project DKC4, you're setting up a lot of people for disappointment... and potentially general scepticism/distrust of DKC Atlas...

Besides, the name DKC4 is incredibly unoriginal. I'm sure you can think of something more interesting. ;)

gamer_boy997 wrote:I liked how this was a, "DKC4 project", it just doesn't seem as exciting anymore :(

If the name makes that much of a difference to how you feel about the project... the actual ideas and progress must not mean very much to you. :roll:

It's not up to me what you name your project, but please do bear this all in mind.

Edit: That 'Spike' artwork looks great, by the way... even if you did borrow heavily from some Army and Spiny sprites.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Donkey Kong Fan-Game Name

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 17th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Alright guys here's what i'm thinking. Qyzbud makes a very good point by saying that we are naming this with an "Official" name
way too soon. So until we have something a little more tangible how about we call this the "DKC Fan-Game Creation Thread"?
Now I know i didn't make this thread so it's not up to me, we'll have to all talk about it and see whats best. Just an idea :)

-Mike.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » June 17th, 2009, 2:04 pm

I'm glad you can appreciate what I'm saying. As for your recent suggestion, I get the impression that (as disorganised as it is) this topic has become focussed on a specific project that a handful of you are working on (or intending to work on)... so I would suggest that you come up for a specific project name to distinguish this topic/project from just 'general fangame ideas'.

Tip: Think of what you're aiming to achieve, and choose a name accordingly.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 17th, 2009, 2:08 pm

hmm how about "Donkey Kong Country: The Fangame"
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Fan-Game project (anyone may help!)

Postby Qyzbud » June 17th, 2009, 2:33 pm

*sigh* Where's my facepalm emoticon when I need one... :roll:

That's definitely not what I had in mind when I suggested coming up with a specific name.

Why not just title it something like "Kiddy's Big Shot: a DKC fangame" for now?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 17th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Hey guys just a quick update:

An animation of "Spiney" or "Spike" inside his animal box and it opening ;)

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 17th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Qyzbud wrote:*sigh* Where's my facepalm emoticon when I need one... :roll:

That's definitely not what I had in mind when I suggested coming up with a specific name.

Why not just title it something like "Kiddy's Big Shot: a DKC fangame" for now?

Ok....one last try at this lol "Kiddy's Mysterious Adventure: A DKC Fangame"

pleasing? lol
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Kiddy's Mysterious Adventure (Fan-Game)

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 17th, 2009, 3:02 pm

I went with Kiddy's mysterious adventure.

Also King. K: Remember that Spike's quills need to be tucked under! (Or will they be tucked under when you jump on him?)
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » June 17th, 2009, 3:04 pm

K.Rool the Krool, this double/triple posting has to stop.

Please brush up on the rules before posting again.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 17th, 2009, 3:07 pm

^ That's odd, I still see the Spike-out-of-crate animation and then your post about a thread title in a row :lol: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 17th, 2009, 3:09 pm

gamer_boy997 wrote:^ That's odd, I still see the Spike-out-of-crate animation and then your post about a thread title in a row :lol: .

I thought the double posting rule only came into effect if you posted two entries on the same topic, both of mine were different lol
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » June 17th, 2009, 3:12 pm

0. I think that was "no duplicated topics/threads".
1. Do not double-post unless you have something significant to add. If you had just posted earlier, and no one has replied yet, edit your post instead.
2. Do not use "lol" and such as part of you regular vocabulary here. It is silly.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 17th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Simion32 wrote:0. I think that was "no duplicated topics/threads".
1. Do not double-post unless you have something significant to add. If you had just posted earlier, and no one has replied yet, edit your post instead.
2. Do not use "lol" and such as part of you regular vocabulary here. It is silly.

Is it really that formal here? limited smilies? limited "lol"?
I'm just trying to be relaxed...without those things everything
looks serious and you can never tell how people are saying things.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 17th, 2009, 3:18 pm

K.Rool the Krool wrote:Is it really that formal here? limited smilies? limited "lol"?

Actually, the rules say to avoid using acronyms like "LOL" all the time, seriously.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby SmudgeKWOOD » June 17th, 2009, 3:23 pm

Good explenations, Qyz. And, yes. I am officially a jack@$$ for thinking there was a DKC4 already... :l (NO PROTESTING)
Anywho, Me and Gamer_Boy are working on level layouts for animal buddy token levels. We should post something that at least deserves a 3.

MY JOB UPDATE:
Music tracks completed: (Also the names for the helping Kong`s thingies)
Funky`s Flights III
Candy`s Save Point II
Swanky`s Game Show Network
Cranky`s Resource Centre
Wrinkly`s DKC Exams (To let you all know, you will be asked questions about DKC1, 2, & 3. If you pass at least 90%, you get a certain amount of banana coins.)
Diddy & Dixie rescued... NOT. (The names looks confusing, but think of DKC2...)
Battle Against Kommander K. Rool
Boss Battle
Water Levels (Unlike DKC1, 2, & 3, it has more "watery" drum sounds, you`ll see when I post the ST)
Cheers,
Smudgy.
P.S. QYZBUD, YOU FISH! You took my line, Cheers! Rawr! :x JK. :lol:
P.P.S. NO, IT IS NOT THAT FORMAL. You just made some mistakes. But, you`re not a DKCA outlaw, like I am.
On Probation

Postby Qyzbud » June 17th, 2009, 3:27 pm

I'm not a fish, I promise.

K.Rool the Krool, sorry to limit your 'lol'... it's just to keep conversations from degenerating into instant messaging-style language.

Feel free to use the laughing smiley if you get the urge to laugh out loud. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 17th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I'm not a fish, I promise.

K.Rool the Krool, sorry to limit your 'lol'... it's just to keep conversations from degenerating into instant messaging-style language.

Feel free to use the laughing smiley if you get the urge to laugh out loud. :lol:

Thanks Qyz, I appreciate it.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby SmudgeKWOOD » June 17th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I'm not a fish, I promise.

Feel free to use the laughing smiley if you get the urge to laugh out loud.

Fish don`t know what DKCA is, so good.
Yes, King. K. Use the laughing smily. It makes more sense, and is more effected, but I do that a lot, too.
Just :lol:
Gonna be okay
Da da do do
Just :lol:
...:lol:
On Probation

Postby cfh » June 18th, 2009, 7:26 am

-sigh-

This thread is a mess.. I lost count of how many times I facepalmed. I really hope all of you are very young. Especially SmudgeKWOOD.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 18th, 2009, 9:10 am

I'm gone for two days and this thread turns into a freaking mess. Guys . . . I don't know, but I might have to take my creative talents elsewhere. Good day.

Also: You honestly thought that DKC4 box was real? Yeah, I definitely quit.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 18th, 2009, 9:51 am

Good lord...what happened here? looks like no ones interested anymore, or so it seems. Oh well guess it was fun while it lasted.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 18th, 2009, 10:01 am

^ I know :cry: , people were commenting on how interested they were, then suddenly, people are hating it :evil: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » June 18th, 2009, 11:26 am

K.Rool the Krool wrote:Is it really that formal here? limited smilies? limited "lol"?

lol i no. htis place is 2 4mal :D :lol:
we shoodnt half 2 deal with tihs i like donky knog

mm..... i is eating a htodog rite now its good 2 much musturd :|

---------
See how annoying that is? I'm not implying that you are as bad as my... example, but the reason we have these rules in place are so that our formally well thought out conversation and etiquette doesn't degenerate into useless blubber. This isn't a chat room and we aren't extremely strict, but it's somewhat obvious that this was your first time reading the rules we have so thoughtfully arranged to create a better community.

As for the topic at hand, I have two things to say:
1) The name change was necessary and appreciated.
2) People aren't hating it. They are only realizing that they have no intention of actually following through on making an actual game. The only one here who is qualified is Simion anyway, though those Spike sprites are pretty awesome.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » June 18th, 2009, 11:29 am

Tiptup Jr., you're "fired". Good riddance... :lol:

I'll be getting rid of my position as director with this here "project". I'm not going to lead this project until it's actually worth putting effort into. I may however, offer advice from time to time.

Gamer_boy997, you are now the project director since you started this thread.

Furthermore, this topic was originally called "donkey kong country 4 ideas" not "Donkey Kong Country 4 project (everyone post here)". I do believe that's why this topic got so many replies. Turning it into a "Project Thread" was more or less a bad idea.

I further agree with CFH about the raw amount of facepalm in this thread - I was going to help out here, but it now seems like a random jumble of ideas that could be put to use, not an actual serious, organized project. This was mainly because the thread was originally intended for posting of ideas, not a full-blown project. The topic was renamed to a DKC4 project, then SmudgeKWOOD came along and started assigning "project positions". The entire thread went downhill as soon as this happened. The quality is nowhere near what I would expect for a DKC4 - as Qyzbud said, this is nothing like a sequel, so why call it DKC4?

As I have said before, I'll say it again - the more people you have working on something, the less organized it gets. This thread turned out to be a train wreck. To have this many people working on such a project you're gotta have some dang good organizational skills, which I fear this project lacks in the extreme. Even after my posting to try to clear things up, the thread continued to be disorganized.

Overall, I'm not hating on this thread. But I must express my views. Sorry guys...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 18th, 2009, 11:46 am

Simion32 wrote:
Furthermore, this topic was originally called "donkey kong country 4 ideas" not "Donkey Kong Country 4 project (everyone post here)". I do believe that's why this topic got so many replies. Turning it into a "Project Thread" was more or less a bad idea.

In that case, should I just change it back to an idea thread?

EDIT: By the way, it wasn't, "(everyone post here)", it was, "(anyone may help!)" there's a big difference between the two, one says spammers are welcome, and the other asks for help :roll: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 18th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Well, I guess that's that for the Fan-Game. In any case i'll hang onto my work
(aside from that box art) until we or someone else has a more balanced plan for things.

Thanks Again Guys,

-Mike.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » June 18th, 2009, 12:51 pm

You should rename the topic for now, call it "Donkey Kong Country Fangame Ideas".

If this ever turns out to be a full-blown project (Kiddy's Mysterious Adventure), then you can make a separate topic later on. This thread has de-railed far enough.

However, it's not the end of the line. If you still have ideas for a fangame, feel free to post them here.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby SmudgeKWOOD » June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm

cfh wrote:-sigh-

This thread is a mess.. I lost count of how many times I facepalmed. I really hope all of you are very young. Especially SmudgeKWOOD.

I'm 11, the youngest person on DKCA.
And Tiptup, you've been drinking or something? I mean, I fixed the mistake, and suffered the consequences: Everyone thinking I'm stupid. But hey, I have been putting full effort.
Also, congrats to Gamer_Boy997! You deserve the job. Simion, we'll miss you, you are a great person. :cry:
The box art... well, I think it can stay. You did good.
Long live Kirkwood!
Smudge
On Probation

Re: Donkey Kong Country fan-game ideas

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 18th, 2009, 2:04 pm

I have changed the topic title. :D
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 18th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Alright, I'm almost finished with every animal buddy doohikie (besides Spike which is being done by K.Rool the Kool ;) ).
I redid the expresso no animal sign. The tokens are going along very well and so is that go-kart.
Attachments
dkc4.PNG
dkc4.PNG (17.92 KiB) Viewed 73432 times
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 19th, 2009, 12:06 am

SmudgeKWOOD wrote:And Tiptup, you've been drinking or something?

No. Kid, I was twelve when I started posting on the DKU, and I know how these situations usually turn out. Just stop now while you're not banned.

Now I'll upload voices for my own DKC4 game! Mwahahahaha. (jk, lol)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby SmudgeKWOOD » June 19th, 2009, 9:06 am

Actually, I'll just kick myself off after I finish the soundtrack. I really don't deserve to be on here.
The soundtrack will be my last ever post on DKCA.
On Probation

Postby Simion32 » June 19th, 2009, 9:33 am

SmudgeKWOOD wrote:Actually, I'll just kick myself off after I finish the soundtrack. I really don't deserve to be on here.
The soundtrack will be my last ever post on DKCA.

Why? I'm completely confused. If you didn't deserve to be here someone would have banned you already... what on earth? :|

EDIT: Tiptup Jr. was probably tapping into the DKU way of thinking. Well, this is not the DKU. In no way do you deserve to be banned, as far as I see it.
EDIT2: The reason this thread derailed was not because of you SmudgeKWOOD. It was becase gamer_boy997 changed the topic from an idea topic into a project topic. From then on the thread would have went downhill whether you had been here or not.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby VideoViking » June 19th, 2009, 10:35 am

Katastrophe, can you do an No-Animal sign for Winky?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Jomingo » June 19th, 2009, 11:53 am

I have only two things to say. First, the DKU doesn't ban members in the sense that Tiptup is implying(or that you're implying that he's implying). I have been a member there for two years, and i was probably quite annoying/what some claim that they call ban worthy. The only people who claim the DKU bans without question are the ones who got banned, and no offense, but they didn't get banned for no reason.
Second, Smudgekwood, no one wants to ban you because as far as I can see, you've done nothing wrong. We wouldn't ban you for contributing ideas and enthusiasm.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 19th, 2009, 12:08 pm

VideoViking wrote:Katastrophe, can you do an No-Animal sign for Winky?

Is Winky in this project? I might, but I think we already have Rattly.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby VideoViking » June 19th, 2009, 12:14 pm

No, KK. This is for my DKCX idea. I'll need it in reserve once I put Winky on a level.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 19th, 2009, 12:34 pm

How do we feel about useing the Mario Kart 64 kart as a base for the Go-Kart? Just fix it up abit, edit it and we have a go kart.
Attachments
kart.PNG
kart.PNG (3.34 KiB) Viewed 73382 times
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby SmudgeKWOOD » June 19th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Awww, thanks guys. But, I might still consider leaving... but I would still post contacts. (Not my e-mail or phone... but online chat & stuff) But, I might still stay.
Thank you for the support, Simion32, Jomingo, and Gamer_Boy997 (Pm'd me)
Okay, here's some of my work you can view. (Please rate out of 10) This has nothing to do with the fan-ideas:
Loops: (Put on repeat)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag71dd0 ... l_Loop_mp3
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag71de0 ... o_loop_mp3
Funky's Flights DKC1 remix:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag71ddc ... e_SENT_mp3
A song I made from a Smudgy song series called "Sim Synth," #2 to be exact:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag71def ... s_SENT_mp3

Note: No, I wasn't gonna leave because of what Tiptup Jr. said, but because I have gotten a bit, but too much negative comments towards me.
Cheers,
SmudgeKWOOD (OMG, I'm a special rank, look at my color. JUST KIDDING! :lol: )
P.S. Great go-kart.
P.P.S. (Especially for Jomingo) For the "Krash Earnhardt" boss, I did spell it wrong, I'm aware. Also, I know there's a Dale Earnhardt Jr. too, I'm just not a fan of him.

EDIT: FL Studio 8 Demo version was used for the music: Fruity Loops 3 Real version will be used for the tracks
On Probation

Postby K.Rool the Krool » June 19th, 2009, 2:07 pm

Very nice go-kart idea Katastrophe. Is there anything you wanted help with in making the sprites?

EDIT:

I went ahead and put the Spike barrel, box, and token in with Katastrophe's sprites, hope everyone likes them :)

EDIT #2:

I made all of the mini animal token sprites that appear beside the bonus counter and within bonus levels, (aside from Squawks and Ellie as Katastrophe is making them) they may need to be a bit smaller but it shouldn't be a problem to fix the size of them.
Katastrophe, did you want to use your Rattly token? if so just let me know and i can get rid of mine :) Also, did you want me to help with making the larger tokens that would have to be collected to enter bonus animal rooms?

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 19th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Nice spike sprites, I could really use some help on the animal tokens. So far I've done Ellie and Squawks.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby gamer_boy997 » June 19th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Keep up the good work! Once we have enough progress, I will start the project thread, which I will put some notes on for helping to keep the thread clean ;) .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby SmudgeKWOOD » June 19th, 2009, 3:29 pm

gamer_boy997 wrote:I will start the project thread, which I will put some notes on for helping to keep the thread clean ;) .

YES, PLEASE keep it clean!!!
Nice sprites. They look great, and good quality.
Good suggestion for rookie sprite editors: Always zoom into the picture to cut out the sprite with a free-hand trim tool. It will automaticly turn into a square-pixled highlight around the sprite
On Probation

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Level Builder