What visual/gameplay style do you want for the next DK game?

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

What visual and gameplay style do you want for the next DK game?

A Classical 2D Donkey Kong Country Platformer with modern 3D graphics, all new levels, and a few additional gameplay elements such as one or 2 new moves, a new playable character etc.
22%
Same as option #1 but add a new gameplay element that makes the game stand out from the previous games while still staying true to the classic DKC formula. Ex. Use the Wii controller for something innovative.
25%
A cross between a classic 2D and 3D platformer which combines elements of all past DKC games while introducing new gameplay elements to keep the series fresh. See first post in this thread for a longer explanation.
22%
A Free Roaming 3D Platformer like DK64 with modern graphics and new gameplay elements.
13%
A DK game that is designed to satisfy fans of the original games while still making it unique to original fans and fun for non DK fans.
9%
A Remake of the original DKC series.
9%
Something totally different. Surprise Me!
No votes
None of these fit my idea of what the next DK game should be like.
No votes

Total votes : 32

What visual/gameplay style do you want for the next DK game?

Postby Cyclone » May 26th, 2009, 5:57 pm

I was surfing IGN the other day and came across a Wii game called Klonoa a 3D game that has a side scrolling style that allows you to explore the levels in both 2D and 3D. The camera movement is predetermined just like the original DKC games but instead of the camera and character being stuck to a 2 dimensional plane the camera can move around in 3D and allow the character to move along in different axis in a 3D way. Think of it as 2.5D, a cross between the DKC and DK64.

See example
Link to gameplay clip of Klonoa

I personally would like to see a Donkey Kong Country 4 with a gameplay style like Klonoa where you are not limited to a 2D perspective. This could be an innovative way to re-introduce a Donkey Kong platformer to the current generation of gamers. I also think Nintendo should hire a developer such as Retro Studios who has a good reputation for making beautiful and atmospheric games. The atmosphere of the first 2 DKC games is what really made them memorable for me.

I created a messy looking poll. You can vote on 2 options and change your votes if you decide to. If you have better suggestions let me know and I will revise the poll.

Share your ideas for the next Donkey Kong game here.
Attachments
Klonoa2.JPG
Klonoa2.JPG (42.23 KiB) Viewed 11001 times
Klonoa1.JPG
Klonoa1.JPG (46.11 KiB) Viewed 11001 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Re: What visual/gameplay style do you want for the next DK game?

Postby Qyzbud » May 27th, 2009, 12:17 am

I haven't checked out the video yet (limited downloads, grrr...), but Klonoa sounds like it has just the right formula for how a new DKC could be presented. I love the idea of preserving the rapid, flowing, simple-yet-brilliant game play of DKC, but bringing the 3rd dimension into play a little. It opens things up for completely non-linear stages, and the opportunity for players to really explore and enjoy beautifully crafted game worlds.

I'll have to get my hands on this here 'Klonoa' sometime.

Edit: Hey... it's by Paon! 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » May 27th, 2009, 9:46 am

Well, I voted for the 2nd and 3rd ones. I don't think they should do the first one and be just like the DKCs besides a few new things/a character. I don't think anybody could/should try to replicate the feel and personality of the DKCs, so I would prefer the second choice, that it is similar to the DKCs but with some new major gameplay element that takes advantage of the Wiimote. Key Words: takes advantage of. Not just slap something on their that feels forced and soulless, but if they came up with some great idea to use the Wii to its fullest advantage than it would be great. Oh, and the Klonoa idea is cool too.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rodent » June 2nd, 2009, 10:25 pm

I voted for the 4th and 5th ones, and seem to be the only one who wants another 3D platformer. I think that no matter how they try to make DKC4, if it isn't done by Rare, it won't have the same magic. Either way, I don't think they could make another DKC that would be worthy to live in the shadows of our beloved trilogy. To be honest, I'd be content with something like map packs just so I have more levels to do. I think the 2.5D thing would make it feel like Crash Bandicoot too.

Anyway, I think that another whack at the 3D world of Donkey Kong would be great. I think that one of the major places they went wrong in DK64 was with the settings of the levels - there wasn't enough jungle in it for me, or enough that was remeniscent of the older games. I'd like it to be a bit of a nostalgic blast when you see the levels, but something new when you actually start playing the game. I don't mind how it's done that much though, but I'm pretty sure they're never gonna match the greatness of the immortal Donkey Kong Country triology.

I should pick up Jungle Climber and King of Swing... Should I?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Darth » June 3rd, 2009, 7:24 am

Moderator removed quote: please don't quote the person directly above you

Possibly JC, if you don't mind having nightmares from seeing all the character designs.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » June 3rd, 2009, 12:24 pm

I voted for 2 and 4.

I want a DKC-esque 2D platformer, but I really have no objection to something like DK64 as long as they stay true to mah series.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » June 24th, 2009, 2:17 am

Well, the way I see it DK64 and staying true to the series are oxymoron's. DK64 did not stay true to the series in many aspects. But I guess they could make another DK64 work, if they were to stay true to the series.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Return to General DKC Discussion