The Donkey Kong Country TV Show

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Re: DKC TV show: Good or Bad?

Postby Kiddy14 » April 14th, 2008, 2:34 pm

That's true, a lot of stuff is missing, I've liked having Rambi in action sometime =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

BANNED

Postby Myuu » April 14th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Original post content enclosed:
Spoiler!
:? I just wanted to do a Quote that was not off topic to what that person said. Why aren't you angry at the dude who brought up Dixie's Dream? Why are being so rude to a new guy? Why do you take things a bit too seriously?

Anyways, I found the show to be very enjoyable. :) I didn't seem to find the songs a 'flaw' I found them very funny. I hope to see all of the episodes soon.
------------
[quote removed by admin]

Qyz says: You obviously still haven't read the rules, and your dismissive reply to my PM was not smart at all. You may now go off and join a BANNED.
On Probation

Postby Diddy » April 15th, 2008, 10:20 am

Banning people for being off-topic is a bit harsh.... But your in charge so.... yeh...
But about the DKC TV Show, I loved it. I watched it every Sunday after church. I hope they bring it back soon however, they wont. :cry: Is there any place I can download episodes?
Diddy

BANNED-ER

Postby Qyzbud » April 15th, 2008, 3:07 pm

Do not register a different account. We will ban you again, and for longer than before.

Spoiler!
Signing up a new account from an identical IP address and using your first post to contest the administrator's judgement... Not smart at all. You know well you weren't banned for being off-topic. You were banned for breaking half a dozen rules, then being disrespectful when you were warned.

You would have known not to create a new account, if you had read the rules... as I reasonably requested you to do at least twice. That shows another breach of a key rule:

Do not disobey any reasonable requests of the forum Administrator or Moderators.

I will now double the duration of your ban, and if this happens again, the ban will be permanent.

See you in 2 months, when you come back from touring with the BANNED!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 18th, 2008, 7:51 am

Holy crap, Qyz. I'm scared of posting now... :cry:

But I just watched the episode where Klump found out that Scurvy was his long-lost brother. I guess it was cool for a second, but then I realised something: They look like freaking twins. I should have seen this coming. Like... yeah. Klump and Scurvy becoming friends wasn't exactly the best idea in the world, because then Klump would have to decide between his brother and his brother's mortal enemy (K. Rool). I don't know who he ends up choosing in the end, and I probably don't want to know either... It made the show too much like a soap opera.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kiddy14 » April 18th, 2008, 8:27 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Holy crap, Qyz. I'm scared of posting now... :cry:

That happened to me too XD

Still, there are many episodes where the Series looks much likely like a musical or a sopa opera as you said. Like when K. Rool fired Klump and he was crying so Dixie took him with her. At the end Klump cries again. Of course, it's sad, but it's only a kid's show.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » April 19th, 2008, 12:05 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Holy crap, Qyz. I'm scared of posting now... :cry:

Haha, seriously don't be. Myuu really, really, really deserved it. Nobody else has come close to being banned.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » April 19th, 2008, 5:49 am

Yeah, why would you be afraid to post? You know that Qyz is very reasonable, and only banned him because he deserved it. Now if ever become a Mod, then you should be scared. I will destroy you all. :evil:

Hahaha, is he joking? No one knows, ha ha. :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » July 30th, 2008, 7:42 am

I quite enjoyed the show. I liked the elements of DKC that it touched on, mine carts, Funky having a plane, etc. Funky was by far the best character in the show, he really impressed me.

DK's voice was... not bad, but..not good..

Candy was fine, but I didn't like her haircut so much

K. Rool had a great voice, and Klump and Krusha were great.

Needed moar Rambi and Engaurde though.
Treasure Hunter

Postby FunkyKong » July 31st, 2008, 5:04 pm

There is alot of episodes of this television series on youtube. Im 15 and i still watch the Legend of The Crystal coconut.
Does anyone know why they removed the show?
Trainee Trekker

Postby DK4Ever » August 1st, 2008, 12:49 pm

Because they're removing all the great cartoons, that's why.

They took Johny Bravo away.. That makes me very angry... :( :evil:
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 2nd, 2008, 4:55 am

The voices in the show were interesting, to say the least, but they could've done better with some characters, specifically Dixie and Candy. But Cranky's voice was perfect.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » August 2nd, 2008, 11:45 am

FunkyKong wrote:Does anyone know why they removed the show?

Because this thread is probably the first time I've ever seen it talked about in a positive light. Most people hated it, so they had to.

Me, I've never seen it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Soniccuz » August 2nd, 2008, 11:46 am

I like the show and have some tapes of it. I found a majority of the characters portrayed perfectly, Cranky, K. Rool, and Funky. I like most of the songs (everyone from my tapes seemed fit into the episode). While some of the others seemed too short to be worth the effort.

I always thought they stopped the show because they had ran out of plots to use in it. 40 episodes from a videogame based cartoon was pretty good back then. Captain N an older cartoon seris had three seasons and only 34 eps.

So how exactly to you brake a cartoon up into seasons if it’s not a matter of number of episode and the show doesn’t have any major turning points in the plot?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Goe » August 11th, 2008, 12:31 am

i have only seen one chapter....i found it terrible.

I think DKC show should have adventure storylines against kremlings...th chapter i saw was about DK is a silly guy who is hated by the kong family due to his stupidity...he decided dissapear and then K rool attack Kongo Bongo...and Candy falls in love with his boss...

well....i didn't like it
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Re: The Donkey Kong Country TV Show

Postby DKCplayer » September 2nd, 2008, 5:11 pm

I have NEVER seen the TV show. Not a clip of it, not a "Youtube Poop" of it. I dunno if I WANT to watch it. Wikipedia says there are two songs each episode... and I think they would be cheesy. :| Anyway, it's a show for young adults. But I watch Fairly Odd Parents occasionally so oh well, it ain't bad! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby swoopysalvo » September 10th, 2008, 5:24 am

I thought it was great for a show. Not the best representation of DKC but it's awesome. Too bad it wasn't popular. Oh well atleast it's popular in Japan.
Tourist

Postby DKCplayer » October 25th, 2008, 9:59 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote: I can't stop laughing at the "frowning duck bill syndrome."

"Frowning duck bill syndrome?" :| That's very weird. One of the most random things I've heard this year. The could of at least made it "Frowning Necky beak syndrome." I STILL haven't watched any clips of the show, and I'm still not sure if I want to.
Hmm, Qyz said there are 40 episodes, and Wikipedia said there are 2 songs each episode... AGH! 80 SONGS! :shock: *Hides in bush*
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 26th, 2008, 4:05 am

It was a phrase that the DKU coined when they "reviewed" the show. And speaking of the DKU, I just found a very relevant excerpt regarding the DKC TV show on the youchewpoop.com wiki, the official home of the aforementioned YouTube Poops:

Disliked by: Rareware fanboys (who call this show Lord Harry)

Aha...Ha. :?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby KremKrawl » May 22nd, 2009, 1:38 pm

Bleh, bleh I said when I saw one minute of it. I lost my eardrums and needed therapy. TWICE. Then I saw it again and was scarred for life. Eep. DX
Trainee Trekker

Postby PotoGamer » May 23rd, 2009, 6:00 am

I don't really like the TV show, it's just pure cheesiness. At least the English version is better...I have the Legend of the Crystal Coconut VHS dubbed in Spanish. :shock:
Trailblazer

Postby Darth » May 23rd, 2009, 7:12 am

I remember always wanting to rent episodes from wherever I could find them. After a while, I'd insist on coming along so my Mom wouldn't rent that same "Kong Fu" episode she kept getting. I didn't mind at first, but I got kinda peeved after a while. I always liked K. Rool's look, but I didn't like his singing (or creepy dancing). Aside from that, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Looking back on the show now, Cranky seems to be the only Kong with a good voice, Candy looks creepy, everyone but Cranky has a stretched-out duck face, Dixie is seriously messed, Diddy never keeps the same expression, Bluster Kong is incredibly ugly, and Funky... Well, he's messed like Dixie. The only good characters in the show (aside from Cranky) were all Kremlings. Now that I've played the games, Scurvy looks more like Klump than Klump does. I still find it somewhat eerie I found this stuff entertaining.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » May 23rd, 2009, 12:10 pm

PotoGamer wrote:I have the Legend of the Crystal Coconut VHS dubbed in Spanish. :shock:

There was a Spanish dub...?
Though I remember the Spanish Wikipedia used to say the "voice" of the kong in the DKC articles, but since most of them were Mexican voice actors, I thought it was just someone playing around (I don't remember that show ANYWHERE being dubbed =S).
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DK4Ever » May 23rd, 2009, 5:23 pm

I still watch the show occasionally on Youtube and such, because, after this year's traumatic events, well, it's nice to get back to "better times"
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 24th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Darth wrote: Looking back on the show now, Cranky seems to be the only Kong with a good voice . . .

I agree. Diddy also had a pretty accurate voice, I thought, but Cranky topped 'em all. And isn't it cool how the Crystal Coconut became an actual item in the Donkey Kong games after being in the show? That's just so amazing to me. :)

Nice Avatar, by the way!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Darth » May 24th, 2009, 1:01 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:
Darth wrote: Looking back on the show now, Cranky seems to be the only Kong with a good voice . . .

I agree. Diddy also had a pretty accurate voice, I thought, but Cranky topped 'em all. And isn't it cool how the Crystal Coconut became an actual item in the Donkey Kong games after being in the show? That's just so amazing to me. :)

Nice Avatar, by the way!

I think Diddy sounded too old... I'd say the other good voice would be Klump.

And as for the avatar, I made it using this, this and paint. I'm suprised I got it to look as good as it does. It WOULD look better at the original size (100x100), but I had to resize it for here.

That's what it should look like. It's gone through multiple revisions, and all I've used is Paint and Microsoft Photo editor (to smooth the crown and jaws).
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby PotoGamer » May 25th, 2009, 9:53 am

Kiddy14 wrote:
PotoGamer wrote:I have the Legend of the Crystal Coconut VHS dubbed in Spanish. :shock:

There was a Spanish dub...?
Though I remember the Spanish Wikipedia used to say the "voice" of the kong in the DKC articles, but since most of them were Mexican voice actors, I thought it was just someone playing around (I don't remember that show ANYWHERE being dubbed =S).

Yeah, there was a Spanish dub, but it's been a long time since I last saw it. The only thing I can remember is that the voices sound similar to the English version. Looks like it's time to dust off my VCR!
Trailblazer

Postby Ribbedebie » January 23rd, 2011, 9:09 pm

I am sorry for bumping a two-year-old topic, but I just had to share my two cents.

Saaay, a couple of months ago, when I started fangirling over DKC thanks to Returns, I discovered the series again on YouTube. And don't shoot me, I LOVE IT.
(copypasta from my blog); Boy, I would never have thought that I'd enjoy such silly, primitive CGI. Me, an animation connoisseur - actually watched this series that many people deemed bad? Oh my goodness! Well, it was not as bad as some people made me believe. Sure, the animation was primitive - prehistoric, even - but I enjoyed it. /end copypasta
I adore how they portrayed the Kremlings mostly. Especially Krusha and Klump. They actually make me feel sorry for killing them in the games. D: King K. Rool, of course, is such a bumbler. Even though he lacks a tail, he's incredibly talkative and hilarious.
The voices? They're perfect. Sure, DK's voice is weird if you consider the games, but it fits with his personality in the series. And I don't think I could've found a more fitting voice for Diddy.

Something tells me to NOT like it, but I possibly can't. It's so hilarious and fun to watch... sure, it doesn't compare to the games, but then, it takes a LOT to beat the games... but it isn't the worst thing ever. Hey, I'd say it's better than most of the stuff they air on TV nowadays!

I also just got two DVDs. Yay! Extremely high quality. I'm tempted to put them on YouTube... Or make some parodies, even... Don't tell the DKvine though, they'll skin me alive if they find out! D8

I'll just leave it with this - banana slamma. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby HuntMac » January 23rd, 2011, 9:26 pm

I'm still a strong supporter of the show, and am waiting for the (most likely won't happen) DvD release :mrgreen:

But what is this?
Ribbedebie wrote:I am sorry for bumping a two-year-old topic, but I just had to share my two cents.
I also just got two DVDs. Yay! Extremely high quality. I'm tempted to put them on YouTube... Or make some parodies, even...

WHAT IS THIS?!?!!?!?!??! :shock:
Newcomer

Postby Ribbedebie » January 24th, 2011, 1:26 am

I've got two DVDs... Some of them were even given away as a promotional thing to celebrate DKCReturns. Kinda lame of that toy store to give away a ten-year-old cartoon with a new game... oh well. xD Got mine secondhand though. They seem to pop up from time to time over here in Holland. They're all normal English dubs instead of the more usual Dutch dubs, too, much to my pleasure.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby HuntMac » January 25th, 2011, 6:12 pm

Ribbedebie wrote:I've got two DVDs... Some of them were even given away as a promotional thing to celebrate DKCReturns. Kinda lame of that toy store to give away a ten-year-old cartoon with a new game... oh well. xD Got mine secondhand though. They seem to pop up from time to time over here in Holland. They're all normal English dubs instead of the more usual Dutch dubs, too, much to my pleasure.

Whoa, whoa whoa. If you are serious I would be interested in those :P Pretty please :P I use this for NetFlix DvDs if they are worth it:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dv ... shrink.cfm

Or if you stumbled upon any extras in the future I will be willing to buy if they have the original English voices like you say. I would be indebted to you :P
Newcomer

Postby BigDonkey101 » January 26th, 2011, 5:47 am

I have mixed feelings about the show.
There are things about it that I like, and things that I hate about it.

The good
The voice actors for K. Rool, Cranky, Klump, and Krusha.

The bad
The character designs.
They made Diddy weak and helpless most of the time.
I hate what they did to Dixie.
Bluster(Nuff said).
The stupid Crystal Coconut.
The singing
No animal buddies

The Ugly
Candy's face.
Tourist

Postby Mayo » February 12th, 2011, 5:53 pm

The show's definitely outdated by todays standards (in terms of graphics), but I still think they're much better than the cartoons you get these days.

I really like the bad guys; the Kritters, Krusha and Klump and so freaking funny. Along with how wacky they've made K. Rool, it's almost the complete opposite on how's he's portrayed in the games (being all bad ass).
The very different designs for Funky, Dixie and Candy takes time to get used to, along with the fact that characters will suddeny break into a song at the most randomly inapropriate times XD
While Funky and Candy and quite spot-on in terms of their personality, Dixie was wayyyy too different from the games, she needed to be more of a bad ass, and didn't get much screen time either.

For some reason, I REALLY like DK's singing voice, and some of the songs in the series are actually suprisingly good. As for Diddy's singing... Not so much DX
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Ribbedebie » February 12th, 2011, 9:09 pm

The songs are weird and unfitting, but some are just ridiculously fun to listen to. My ultimate favorite song from the series is definitely the Diddy Drop Rap. It's just so hilariously random. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Tailikku » March 13th, 2011, 9:23 am

I'm just so lucky to own the VHS for the show, "Legend of the Crystal Coconut". But besides that one thing that really bugs me is that all the episodes are in reverse order, which is notable for the last segments, "Apenesia" and "Booty & the Beast". Diddy tries to invoke a flashback at "Don Keerool," by bringing up the time they were trapped on Skurvy's ship. 20 minutes later, they're in the falshback! Plus bonus points go to Skurvy for being the only Mario/DK character to say "Hell" in a kid friendly envirnoment!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Ribbedebie » March 20th, 2011, 10:03 pm

And not to mention Cranky saying "WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT!" in Bluster's Sale-ape-stravaganza and Diddy, while searching for Dixie's pet crab Crabby, he cries; "HEEEERE Crappy! Here Crappy Crappy!" in... I think it was... I forgot.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Katzii » March 21st, 2011, 12:26 am

I've only seen dribs and drabs of the show on YouTube (although have seen a DVD with a few episodes for sale over here); I remember seeing an advertisement for it (in the British Sonic Comic, of all places!) and really wanted to watch it, but was unable to watch it since we didn't have the channel it aired on (it was on a satellite channel and we only got the four standard channels).

I might have to give it a chance sometime; I don't think it'll be at the top of my list of videogame-related cartoons (that goes to Earthworm Jim and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as the live-action segments of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show), but my strange taste in shows may liken me to it.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 21st, 2011, 7:13 am

Ribbedebie wrote:"HEEEERE Crappy! Here Crappy Crappy!"

For the record, it was Crabby.

And it's funny this topic is being brought up again... I used to watch this show when it was on TV all the time. For some reason, when I was a kid, it was just the coolest thing that Donkey Kong had his own TV show. And just a few days ago my brother put the Legend of the Crystal Coconut VHS on, and I watched it with him for the first time in years- it was great. This show is really clever and hilarious. Yeah, the songs get annoying, but sometimes they're not that bad. Unfortunately they never released any DVDs in the United States, which bums me out. Luckily the majority of the episodes are on YouTube. Also, I recorded a ton of episodes on VHS tapes, so if I ever bother to go through my storage room again I might find those.

In my opinion the best episode of the series is Klump's Lumps, just click on the related videos to get to the other parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jin_3_Q-Eho
I cried the first time I watched this. It is very heartfelt and emotional. Klump's character is really great. Unfortunately, in season 2 they changed the animation style significantly and started coming up with a bunch of weird, outlandish plots... no idea why they did this. So yeah, season 1 ftw.

And as a side note, the entire Super Mario Bros. show has been released on DVD; I don't see why Donkey Kong Country, a superior show in every way, has been left in the dust!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Soniccuz » March 21st, 2011, 12:02 pm

Always thought the season one models were superior as well.
Season two's were so... shiny, like plastic figurines.

Tiptup Jr. wrote: and started coming up with a bunch of weird, outlandish plots... no idea why they did this.

This fits my assumption that they were running out of ideas by series end. :mrgreen:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Ribbedebie » March 22nd, 2011, 1:08 am

I agree wholeheartedly, Tiptup! I couldn't have said it any better. :D And I know that about Crabby... but Diddy called him Crappy. Dixie immidiately corrected him afterwards; "It's Crabby."

There's parts of series 1 I like and parts of series 2 I like. The former mostly the animation and the latter Diddy's face. I mean he looked like a duck in series 1. :lol: And yes, Klump's Lumps is a very good episode - I didn't cry, but I almost did. It really made me feel for Klump. Same for the Kongo Bongo Festival of Lights.... d'aaaaw.
Alas, DKCTV gets praise from me mostly because they actually make the bad guys... likable! D8 I mean, I'm currently more of a fangirl of K. Rool and his cronies than of DK and pals... ohnoes! King K'Rool, as everyone in the show calls him, is really cool and EXTREMELY quotable. I don't care that he has no tail and a teeny cape that looks more like a towel. He's AWESOME. I mean, even when he does a simple thing such as saying "banana" it makes me laugh out loud. And how his throne is a mere foot-stool. :lol: And his own Villain Song musical number "King K. Rool's Finest Hour" rivals most Disney villain songs in awesomeness.

And of course, Krusha. He's... bad at being bad, you see? Frequently claims that stealing is baaaaad. He's hilarious.

"But we ARE bad, you lunkhead! Now grab the board and get outta here!"
"Not 'til you say sorry for calling me lunkhead."
"Oh, you're right, I don't know what came over me. Now get the board, smartypants!"

And I agree about that DVD thing. There's some episodes that aren't on YouTube, and I'm really curious about those! Like Speed, for one, where Krusha suddenly gets smart, and Watch the Skies, and Baby Kong Blues, and To the Moon Baboon, and-

I was considering e-mailing Nelvana and ask about those eps, but I can't 'cuz I'm a wuss. Waaaah!

Sorry, I'm rambling. Kinda.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Tailikku » March 22nd, 2011, 11:06 am

But real fun is when you realize that a few of the voice actors have actually worked together This is what I mean:

=

=

and

Image at least in the pilot

=

=

ImageGanon in the Zelda TV Series

and

=

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Soniccuz » March 22nd, 2011, 11:12 am

Wrinkly Kong?! Um, she wasn't in the show.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Katzii » March 22nd, 2011, 3:48 pm

Seeing some of those links and from what little I've watched of the DKC show, I can see them, but they're still mind-boggling!
Trainee Trekker

Postby Mayo » April 10th, 2011, 11:57 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/DonkeyKongCentral

For anyone who wants to watch a bunch of episodes, this is the YT Channel to see.

I have to agree, there are many memorable quotes, especially from K. Rool, Krusha and Klump XD
K. Rool: "So how do you like your new position?" (after firing Klump)
Krusha: "But I haven't moved..."
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Ribbedebie » April 10th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Teehee, I love those bad guys. They really make the show more worthwhile. Also, after showing some fragments from the show, one of my best friends is really good at doing Krusha's voice. I mean, really. It's so cool. :lol:

Alas, I really want to see the episodes Speed and Baby Kong Blues, but they aren't on YouTube... I wonder why. Some people claim they used to be there, but someone took 'em off. Quite a shame.

You know what I think is awesome? Between season 1 and season 2, some voice actors changed... but you don't hear any difference at all! I find that pretty amazing.

Also, I want those little action figures that were sold around the time this series aired in Japan. Those three bad guys, especially. But they're extremely hard to get a hold of!

...Sorry, I'm fangirling.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Ribbedebie » July 7th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Please excuse my double post, but I was wondering about something...

A lot of sources credit Frank Welker as Krusha's voice in season 2 but in the show it never actually gets mentioned in the credits... Would it happen to be true that it is indeed Welker's voice as even though the whole internet says so, the actual show makes no mention of it?

But then, his IMDB cites a heck load of entries, including his role as Krusha, so I understand any confusion caused.

Not just that, too. It appears that the credits from season 1 and 2 are identical for the voices... for as far as I can remember at least. Which is odd as I can definitely hear other actors... they do a fine job replicating the first season's talent, though!

Oh, and also, Qyzbud sent me the episode To the Moon Baboon a while ago. It's an awesome episode, I love it. Thanks again, dude! :D
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Tailikku » December 30th, 2011, 3:39 am

Ribbedebie wrote:Not just that, too. It appears that the credits from season 1 and 2 are identical for the voices... for as far as I can remember at least. Which is odd as I can definitely hear other actors... they do a fine job replicating the first season's talent, though!

Well they did have to replace Len Carlson because he died.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Qyzbud » October 26th, 2013, 3:12 pm

A crazy-big bump, I know... but I just found something I have to share!
WARNING: If you value your sanity, you may wish to avoid this clip:

Highly ridiculous, very French, and entirely "DKTV". :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

PreviousNext

Return to General DKC Discussion