Sockpuppet's Remix Project (DKC2)

Where dead topics hang out.

Sockpuppet's Remix Project (DKC2)

Postby Sockpuppet » April 19th, 2009, 12:03 pm

This project dead. Hopefully we can do a Collaboration project for DKC2 after we finish the project for DKC.

Hello everyone! I've decided to start my own remix project for DKC2, because it's my favorite VG soundtrack ever.
I will most likely be the only one involved.
I will be doing new remixes and NOT using any of my old ones (but I will redo the Disco Train one). They will be proper remixes rather than just remakes.
So far 1 track is finished (hooray...). So this will be going on for a while. When I finish the remixes I'll post links in this thread. I may update finished remixes later. I'll try to use a mix of styles.
So, here is the list of songs. I'll post the remixes next to the original titles. So far, only Mining Melancholy is done, but I'll post the early version of Disco Train too. :D

1. K. Rool Returns
2. Steel Drum Rumba
3. Welcome to Crocodile Isle
4. Cranky’s Conga
5. School House Harmony
6. Swanky's Swing
7. Funky the Main Monkey
8. Klubba's Reveille
9. Token Tango
10. Klomp's Romp
11. Jib Jig
12. Lockjaw's Saga
13. Boss Bossanova
14. Hot Head Bop
15. Mining Melancholy Life in the Shaft Lane
16. Bayou Boogie
17. Snakey Chantey
18. Stickerbrush Symphony
19. Flight of the Zinger
20. Disco Train Krem Arcade (WIP)
21. Run, Rambi, Run!
22. Forest Interlude Untitled (WIP)
23. Haunted Chase
24. In a Snow Bound Land
25. Krook's March
26. False Triumph
27. Bad Bird Rag
28. Lost World Anthem
29. Primal Rave
30. Crocodile Cacophony
31. Extra Track 1 (Just for the sake of having 40 songs)
32. Extra Track 2
33. Extra Track 3
34. Extra Track 4
35. Extra Track 5
36. Extra Track 6
37. Extra Track 7
38. Extra Track 8
39. Extra Track 9
40. Donkey Kong Rescued
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Re: Sockpuppet's Remix Project (DKC2)

Postby diddykong » April 19th, 2009, 12:26 pm

So are you going to slowly post more links after time? This looks like a pretty cool project. :D
Tourist

Postby Cosmicman » April 19th, 2009, 12:41 pm

Wow, the quality is awesome, what programs are you using? Can't wait for the rest of the songs to be uploaded, but take your time.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby diddykong » April 19th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Could you please do a fast/rocky remix. I would love a slightly faster version of the dkc boss music, :D and mabey a bit more scary too.
Tourist

Postby Sockpuppet » April 19th, 2009, 12:52 pm

diddykong wrote:So are you going to slowly post more links after time? This looks like a pretty cool project.

Yep. :D Thanks!

Cosmicman wrote:Wow, the quality is awesome, what programs are you using? Can't wait for the rest of the songs to be uploaded, but take your time.

I'm using Reason 4. I think this will probably be done end of this year or early next year.

diddykong wrote:Could you please do a fast/rocky remix. I would love a slightly faster version of the dkc boss music, and mabey a bit more scary too.

I'll do a fast/rocky remix of something, but I wanted to do an orchestral boss theme. We'll see. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Kiddy14 » April 19th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Both sound pretty cool =P
I suggest some violins in Stickerbush... or Krook's March =]
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Cosmicman » April 19th, 2009, 12:59 pm

I use FL Studio. But I have a similar project in mind, except I'm going the Trance route. Like you, I share the same feelings towards the DKC2 soundtrack, it is in my opinion, the best ever.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Gnawzooka » April 19th, 2009, 6:25 pm

Same here. :P
Although, between the originals, this, and teh OC Remix project... I might actually get sick of it!!! :o
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sockpuppet » April 30th, 2009, 7:38 pm

O.K, I'm pausing work on this project for a little bit, as I have to do remixes for this, this and this. And maybe this too if my audition gets accepted. =) But I've got a good idea of how Bayou Boogie, Jib Jig, Flight of the Zinger, Stickerbrush Symphony, Steel Drum Rumba and Lockjaw's Saga will sound, so expect one of those next and hopefully soon. :D

Also, I'm just curious: did anyone notice the "cameos" from Diddy's end of level theme, Stickerbrush Symphony (in Disco Train) or Lockjaw's Saga (Mining Melancholy)?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Qyzbud » April 30th, 2009, 10:45 pm

I'm listening to Life in the Shaft Lane as I write this... and I'm really digging it. I'm impressed with your incorporation of DKC's mines tune at 2:51 - it fits in nicely, and I like the clever remix title; well done with that! The credits music at 4:10 makes for a nice conclusion to the track (this is quite a medley, isn't it!), but it leaves me wondering what you'll do now once you get up to doing a remix of that track specifically... I guess if you make that track a different genre, you won't have to worry about there being too much of a repetitive feel to the project.

Well it has a great sound, and weaves together at least three great DKC trilogy tracks, so I give it my two thumbs up. :)

Now downloading Krem Aracade... is that meant to be Krem Arcade (without the second 'a'?)

Hmm, well I certainly prefer the sound and composition of Life in the Shaft Lane, but I look forward to hearing more of this one as you progress with it. Thanks for sharing - this project's gonna make for a great listen, I can tell. 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Sockpuppet » May 1st, 2009, 6:37 pm

Thanks Qyzbud! =D

Qyzbud wrote: The credits music at 4:10 makes for a nice conclusion to the track (this is quite a medley, isn't it!), but it leaves me wondering what you'll do now once you get up to doing a remix of that track specifically... I guess if you make that track a different genre, you won't have to worry about there being too much of a repetitive feel to the project.

Oh damn it, I wasn't really thinking when I put that in... I'll try and make the credits mix different. =)

Now downloading Krem Aracade... is that meant to be Krem Arcade (without the second 'a'?)

Oops, yes it is. Changing it now.

EDIT: By the way, I submitted Life in the Shaft Lane to OCRemix! :D
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby DK4Ever » May 3rd, 2009, 3:17 pm

Are you perhaps Sockpuppetremix who posts works in the newgrounds audio portal?

If so, excellent work my good man!

If not, excellent work my good man!

Keep it up!
Treasure Hunter

Postby Sockpuppet » May 3rd, 2009, 3:42 pm

Yep, that's me! :D Thanks!
Have you got a NG account as well?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby DK4Ever » May 5th, 2009, 12:59 am

Yep, that's me, same name actually.

And i've just got to add, Life in the Shaft Lane is great!! can't stop listening to it!
Treasure Hunter

Postby Gnawzooka » May 5th, 2009, 6:07 pm

By the way Sockpuppet, I think you should use your current Foerst Interlude remix as a starting point for the new on, since it's already so great. :)
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sockpuppet » May 9th, 2009, 5:32 pm

OK, the project is no longer... uh, "sleeping." And to prove it, here is a WIP of Forest Interlude! :D Still needs a lot of work, but at least you know I haven't abandoned it already. ;)

Untitled

Like Gnawzooka suggested, I used my older mix as a starting point (actually someone on Youtube suggested I make a full mix out of it too. And I thought it was crap! :lol: ). Rather than just being a cover, this newer mix plays with the melodies and has some nice variations. And much better percussion. And a saxophone. Any comments or suggestions are REALLY appreciated.

(Damn it that took ages to upload...)

Also, I forgot that I had a slightly updated version of Mining Melancholy. >_< No big changes, just small changes to the backing, and the transition from Life in the Mines > Donkey Kong Rescued is better.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » May 9th, 2009, 5:38 pm

I love it already. The bird noises are great. :) I look forawrd to the end result.
By the way, you stuffed up the link for LITSL.
edit: Also, what exactly do you have in mind for the extra tracks?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Cyclone » May 9th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Just listened to Life in the Shaft Lane and Krem Arcade (WIP). I like the DKC Mine and credits track merged in. The thing I like about these remixes is that you emulated a lot of the SNES instruments really well, while at the same time incorporating a bit of your style. I think Life in the Shaft Lane needs another iteration, some parts don't seem to 'flow' together as good as they could be with just a few tweaks here and there.

Overall I thought the quality your remixes were very well done. I'm really looking foreword to hearing more!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Sockpuppet » May 10th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Gnawzooka wrote:I love it already. The bird noises are great. :) I look forawrd to the end result.
By the way, you stuffed up the link for LITSL.
edit: Also, what exactly do you have in mind for the extra tracks?

Thanks! =) The extra tracks will be remixes of songs from other Donkey Kong Games (DKC, DKC3, DK64, DKR). I've already decided on all but one of them, although they could change later.

Cyclone wrote:I think Life in the Shaft Lane needs another iteration, some parts don't seem to 'flow' together as good as they could be with just a few tweaks here and there.

Ah crap... I'll have another look at it and post it again when it's fixed. =) Too bad I already submitted this one to OC...
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » May 10th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Have you gotten any feedback from OC?
What tracks from the other games are you planning on doing? Personally I'd like to hear some that have been a little neglected... Poor Mine Cart Madness. :cry:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sockpuppet » May 11th, 2009, 5:34 pm

I haven't got feedback from the judges yet (I won't hear from them for a few months...) but I did get some reviews from some good remixes like Hoboka and Geoffrey Taucer.
As for the extra tracks, I'd kinda like them to be a surprise, but I tried to choose a few neglected ones. I don't know about Mine Cart Madness. I have got a spot left for it, and it is a very important song, so we'll see. Although I might use it a lot in Haunted Chase. It's pretty much a Mine Cart Madness/Night on Bald Mountain mash up already. :)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » May 11th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Ah, cool, I'd like to see it somewhere. It's a great track, I think one of the best in DKC, I wonder why it's so neglected? I couldn't even find any midis for it...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby diddykong » May 12th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:OK, the project is no longer... uh, "sleeping." And to prove it, here is a WIP of Forest Interlude! :D Still needs a lot of work, but at least you know I haven't abandoned it already. ;)

Untitled

That sounds really good. Is there anyway to put that music in to the game?
Tourist

Postby Sockpuppet » May 12th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Thanks! You could try turning the music off with this code: 7E001C00
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Return to Post Mortuary