Best in the series for GBA?

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country 3 port for GBA.

Best in the series for GBA?

Postby flame0ram » February 5th, 2009, 12:15 am

Hi all,
I just bought a DS lite on ebay and am looking to buy one of the DKC games but have no idea which one is the best in the series for the GBA. I have played the SNES version heaps and would say that DKC2 was the best because it was challenging and had the best music. Is the second title the best for the GBA? I want a challenge and I have thought of getting DKC3 (GBA) instead but I heard it was two easy. some more opinions on this would be great! Thanks!
Newcomer

Re: Best in the series for GBA?

Postby PotoGamer » February 5th, 2009, 9:43 am

Well, I prefer the first one in the GBA.

It might sound strange, since I like DKC3>DKC2>DKC in the SNES. But I actually prefer DKC>DKC2=DKC3 on the GBA. DKCGBA has a lot of extra content, and the bonuses have been made in DKC2&3-style (bonus barrels, bonus intro screen)! And the extra DK Attack mode is like the DKC Competition Catridge (in which you have to finish the level as fast as you can and you gain points from defeating enemies or collecting items).

And Funky's Fishing is pretty awesome too! :D
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » February 5th, 2009, 9:48 am

Wow, the only DKC I don't have on the GBA is DKC1! I'll see other peoples opinions on the GBA versions before buying it though.

As for me, between DKC2 and 3, if you want extra levels and an extra boss, you will probably want DKC3, if you want to time yourself on certain levels, and have an extra minigame, get DKC2.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » February 5th, 2009, 1:19 pm

In my opinion, DKC3 GBA has the best graphics, because DKC2 and DKC looked like they just photoshoped an image of the whole level, increased the brightness and pasted the layout in the game =S
And in DKC3, David kind of used a big combination of banks for the midi synthesizer he was using, so he got better results than Jamie's re-arrangements of the original songs in DKC2. DKC wasn't that noticeable, probably because of the instruments used...

Well, that's only the technical stuff XD
I would suggest you go from the beginning, first get DKC, then DKC3, and at the end, DKC2. Why? Because DKC2 got its tone less dark in the port, and DKC and DKC3 weren't changed at all, so by when you get DKC2, you are going to expect a change.

In my point of view... it's interesting to note, that even when DKC3 is the most criticized of all, it's still the best looking and sounding from the ports =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Rodent » February 5th, 2009, 1:42 pm

I'd get them in order. You can pick up the games as just a cart (without the box or manual) for under $10 Australian, which is dirt cheap. If you're looking for the best though, I'd probably go with DKC3. It has the most to offer as a single player game - it's the longest, the levels have alot of different twists on them... It doesn't have the minigames of the last 2 ports though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby flame0ram » February 6th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Sweet thanks for all your help! I might consider DKC3 now firest as it has an extra world over the SNES. Seems like each one is good in a way in which i probably will buy all three.
Thx
Newcomer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 7th, 2009, 12:01 am

Yeah, DKC3 for GBA=one of mah favorite games EVAR. It's like the original, except portable! :D

And it's really fun. I remember that I had an SP when I first got it, and coudn't believe that Wrinkly received yet another redesign for a freaking port...

EDIT: Oh, and it does have minigames. Funky's challenges, Swanky's VR Dome, and Kong Karate, just to name a few.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Katastrophe Kong » April 10th, 2009, 1:45 pm

DKC for GBA was my favorite port, DKC2 was alright, it was just nice to see it around. DKC3 was cool because they added a couple new features.

In my opinion, DKC for GBA is the best out of all.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby The Banana Bird » December 16th, 2011, 9:36 am

I STILL play all 3 for the GBA but I like the 2nd one the most.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Mayo » December 23rd, 2011, 7:35 pm

I've only played DKC2 GBA, whilst on the surface people immediately assume they are terrible ports due to the lower sound and picture quality. But the gameplay is pretty much exactly the same as the SNES versions, and being portable doubles the awesomeness.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Gaz » February 26th, 2012, 3:24 am

DKC/DKC2. DKC3 quite much has bad changes and its music stinks.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Return to DKC3 Port (GBA)