Have you ever imported any Japanese games?

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Have you ever imported any Japanese games?

Postby Blaziken257 » November 29th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Out of all the games that I own, only one of them is a Japanese game. The game happens to be Super Mario Bros. 2; in the U.S., this is known as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. I have the Famicom Mini version of it, for GBA (the Japanese equivalent to the Classic NES Series). It's my favorite Mario game I've played.

One thing that is unique about this game is the cartridge. It's yellow, instead of the usual black that most GBA games have. It's yellow because this game is a port of the 8-bit Famicom Disk System version, a Japanese system that would play floppy disks. The floppy disks are yellow, so the yellow cartridge is fitting for this game. Much like how the Classic NES Series games are gray to imitate the old NES cartridges.

Here's a picture I took of the uniquely colored cartridge alongside the equally unique box:

Pretty cool, huh? You don't see games like that often.

Now as for the game itself. It's like the first Super Mario Bros., with a similar game engine, but with more difficult levels. The Mushroom, Fire Flower, and Starman are all here, it has the same enemies, and has the same physics, but it's harder. For one thing, there's a new item -- a Poison Mushroom -- that does the exact opposite of a Mushroom: It shrinks you!

And the levels themselves are harder. There are plenty of pits abound, and the game throws lots of different challenges at you. You'll come across Lakitu and Hammer Brothers simultaneously, have to jump on really small platforms, flying Cheep-Cheeps in the most inconvenient locations, and you'll even find backwards warps! Evil. This game really got creative with the different challenges, which is why it's my favorite Mario game. It's not for everyone, though, because the challenge gets insane, especially at the very end of the game. But I loved it.

There are extra levels too. Instead of 32 like in the original SMB, there are 52 in this game, but the last 20 are hard to find because you need to unlock them in different ways. Four of these 20 are very easy and only serve as bragging rights, but the other 16 are arguably the hardest Mario levels ever. But I won't spoil anything...

Overall, I like this game, and I recommend it if you can find it. Fortunately, it's recently been released on the Wii Virtual Console, which is the first time the 8-bit version has been released outside of Japan. That might be the easiest one to find, if you have a Wii. Failing that, there's always the SNES version on Super Mario All-Stars.

So... this is the only Japanese game that I've ever imported. There are about three others that I wouldn't mind to own either, one of them being the GBC version of DKL3 (and none of you would probably care about the other two I have in mind since nobody's ever heard of them...). How about the rest of you? Do you have any Japanese games? Or just foreign games in general?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: Have you ever imported any Japanese games?

Postby PotoGamer » November 29th, 2008, 5:56 pm

Well, I just remembered I have this Dragonball game that my mom got from Japan on the PlayStation, and you need to use a Boot Disc to play it. I don't really know much about that import stuff, but now that I remembered that I have a Boot Disc, I'll see if I can buy a game I'd like to try. And that's the only import I've got... :( Of course, I've also got DKL3GBC, but that's on an emulator.

Super Mario Bros. 2/The Lost Levels is VERY challenging. I've got it in SMAS (which has a save feature, making the game a bit easier) and I've only gotten to World 4 (it's a castle level that requires you to go down the right path, or you'll have to pass that same section again...).
Trailblazer

Postby kchrules » December 1st, 2008, 6:26 am

I've got a Japanese import of Pokemon Green.
And a pirated Gold Version.
Tourist

Postby cfh » December 6th, 2008, 4:13 pm

I have Mother 1+2 and Mother 3 for GBA.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Cody » December 13th, 2008, 3:49 pm

Fortunately, it's recently been released on the Wii Virtual Console, which is the first time the 8-bit version has been released outside of Japan.

It was also available in Super Mario Bros. DX for the Game Boy Color as a bonus secret. One of my favorite games, it is.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby PotoGamer » December 20th, 2008, 9:45 am

Today I received Pu.Li.Ru.La in the mail, I still haven't played it (I don't know how the boot disc works) but for some reason, I can hear all the tracks from the game in the PS's music player! I can't wait to play it! :D If you don't know what it is, google it, it's hard to explain everything since it's probably the weirdest game ever created.
Trailblazer

Postby Gaz » July 10th, 2012, 1:20 pm

I have cartridge versions of Donkey Kong GB: Dinky Kong and Dixie Kong and Donkey Kong Country (GBC, Japanese).
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Cody » July 16th, 2012, 3:44 pm

I recently imported Rhythm Tengoku, the Japan-only GBA prequel of the Rhythm Heaven series. It's actually a great game. :D

Edit:

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Geno » August 20th, 2012, 11:22 pm

I haven't imported any games, but I'm interested in Super Bomberman 3, 4, and 5, as well as Rockman & Forte.
Would one need a "converter" to play PAL/Japan games on an NTSC SNES?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Return to Gaming Discussion